Winners and Losers of St. Louis Rams' Offseason so Far

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2496102-winners-and-losers-of-st-louis-rams-offseason-so-far

Winners and Losers of St. Louis Rams' Offseason so Far
By Steven Gerwel, Featured Columnist Jun 15, 2015

The NFL operates on an extremely vicious cycle. The offseason process creates numerous winners and losers on an annual basis.

A young rookie prospect will rejoice upon hearing his name called from the NFL draft podium. A veteran free agent will shoot the cameras a shiny press-conference smile after signing a multimillion-dollar deal.

They are the offseason winners.

On the flip side, an aging veteran might watch helplessly from home as his team drafts his replacement. A young long shot might lose his NFL dream upon discovering he's been cut in favor of a high-priced free agent.

Of course, they are the offseason losers.

Every team has its winners and losers, and the Rams are no exception. This article will highlight several of each for St. Louis based on the team's offseason moves.

Winner: Rams Receivers
hi-res-9925cd793239bf94374123f70c243e44_crop_north.jpg

Jeff Roberson/Associated Press

The 2015 season might present a great opportunity for the St. Louis receivers. It could be a chance for the group to finally show what it's made of.

We've seen flashes of talent from Kenny Britt, Brian Quick, Stedman Bailey and Tavon Austin. Consistency has been an issue, but that's certainly understandable given the last two seasons.

Not that the receivers don't deserve any blame, but it's hard to expect decent production given that Kellen Clemens, Austin Davis and Shaun Hill were the last three quarterbacks to run the offense. Not to mention, the offensive line was practically in shambles last season.

Now that the Rams invested in new franchise quarterback Nick Foles and injected the offensive line with youth, the receivers should finally see some consistency from the supporting cast.

If Foles stays healthy and the line plays reasonably well—for a group with three new starters—the receivers might get a chance to showcase their talents.

Loser: Benny Cunningham
hi-res-13f3621ddb9962d33f408838ad65a50d_crop_north.jpg

Jeff Roberson/Associated Press

First, let me clarify by saying Benny Cunningham will still have a solid role on the St. Louis offense.

Cunningham was third on the team in receptions (45) and fifth in yards (352) last season. He accomplished this despite appearing on just 358 of the offense's 957 plays (37.4 percent).

Compare that to Tavon Austin, who had just 31 catches and 242 yards on 509 plays (53.1 percent). Lance Kendricks had 27 grabs and 259 yards despite being in on 562 plays (58.7 percent).

Foles is apparently capable of utilizing pass-catching backs, as LeSean McCoy racked up 52 catches during the 2013 season (second on the Philadelphia Eagles). That bodes well for Cunningham.

Unfortunately for him, he'll have to continue doing more with less.

He should see a solid number of touches for the first half of the season, but his opportunities will slowly vanish once Todd Gurley returns from injury.

It won't be an immediate decline for Cunningham, but as time goes on, the run game will almost exclusively depend on the tandem of Gurley and Tre Mason.

Winner: Isaiah Pead
hi-res-0b8a29f57f9ac657e3cb13d9ec1e6161_crop_north.jpg

Tom Gannam/Associated Press

Isaiah Pead was a second-round in pick in 2012. That's not very long ago, yet it's sometimes difficult to remember he's still on the St. Louis roster. His NFL career has been anything but ideal.

Despite his lofty draft status, Pead has just 17 career carries and 31 offensive touches in two seasons. In other words, he's been completely invisible.

During the 2014 preseason leading up to to Pead's third NFL season, he suffered a knee injury against the Green Bay Packers. He missed the entire 2014 campaign as a result, and the emergence of Mason turned him into an afterthought—if he wasn't that already.

However, there might be a tiny slither of hope remaining.

Zac Stacy is now a member of the New York Jets and second-year back Trey Watts is facing a four-game suspension per NFL.com, which could put his career with the Rams in jeopardy.

There's also no concrete timeline for Gurley's return to action. He could be watching from the sidelines until midseason for all we know, and that thins out the running back position even more—at least for the time being.

The departure of Stacy and the early-season absence of Gurley and Watts will give Pead a golden opportunity to get his foot in the door. He'll have to beat out several undrafted rookies for the No. 3 running back job in Week 1, but that's completely doable.

If that happens, he should see a handful of carries. If he capitalizes on the opportunity, the Rams might find a way to get him more action. At the very least, it would put him on the radar for other NFL teams.

It's a long shot, but it appears Pead will have one more opportunity to build an NFL career.

Loser: Jo-Lonn Dunbar
hi-res-a37c0626388aef432400281eddcb4105_crop_north.jpg

Rick Scuteri/Associated Press

Linebacker Jo-Lonn Dunbar has not been the same since his suspension for performance-enhancing drugs in 2013.

Dunbar went from averaging over seven tackles per game in 2012 (his debut season with the Rams) to averaging fewer than four tackles per game in his 20 starts in the last two seasons. He also helped the pass rush in 2012 with 4.5 sacks, but he has not sacked a quarterback since.

The Rams will attempt to counter Dunbar's decline with the addition of Akeem Ayers.

At 255 pounds, Ayers has 20 pounds of bulk over Dunbar. Ayers is tougher against the run, a better pass-rusher and a better playmaker. He has three picks in five seasons versus Dunbar's two picks in seven seasons.

Unless Dunbar unexpectedly rekindles his 2012 ferocity, it appears Ayers will be his replacement.

Dunbar will still play a role as a backup and special teams contributor. However, his days as a starter are likely numbered.

Winner: Jeff Fisher
hi-res-7e20f291ff5cdd6865b30268888b6a53_crop_north.jpg

Michael Thomas/Associated Press

Jeff Fisher is one of the clear winners of St. Louis' offseason for several reasons.

For starters, he has finally been given the opportunity to reshape the offense in his image. By adding a top-notch back in Gurley and a collection of young rookie blockers, Fisher now possesses the run game he's been yearning for. It's still in its infant stages, but the seeds have been planted.

Secondly, Fisher has assembled a roster that assures him job security.

The Rams have consistently been among the youngest NFL teams since Fisher's arrival. That was the case in 2014, per NFL.com, and that'll likely continue in 2015 now that the Rams have moved on from veterans such as Jake Long, Scott Wells, Shaun Hill and Davin Joseph.

For three seasons now, youthful errors have been one of the key reasons for St. Louis' inconsistent play. That will continue for another year.

The addition of a fresh quarterback in Foles and a rookie offensive coordinator in Frank Cignetti will also add security to Fisher's future. The burden of a new quarterback and play-caller is a common lifeline for head coaches. Just ask Rex Ryan and Geno Smith.

Not to mention, the relocation rumors and the uncertainty surrounding the franchise will also lend Fisher a bit of leeway.

That's not to say Fisher masterminded some elaborate plot to preserve his employment. In all likelihood, it's a total accident.

But still, this offseason has benefited Fisher. There's a chance he'll live to see 2016 even with another near-.500 season. Accident or not, that's pretty impressive.

Loser: Austin Davis
hi-res-1aefa23a24ef046f3b73b856d3ce2719_crop_north.jpg

Michael Thomas/Associated Press

Austin Davis emerged from the sidelines in 2014 and had some impressive moments, even if they didn't last.

He led the Rams to some quality wins over the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Seattle Seahawks and San Francisco 49ers. Even some of his losses were hard-fought, including a couple of nail-biters against the Philadelphia Eagles and Dallas Cowboys (he threw for three touchdowns and over 300 yards in each game).

Unfortunately, his play was erratic and inconsistent. He also had a knack for choking in the fourth quarter with the game on the line.

He has talent and could have some value in the future with some development. Unfortunately, that won't be with the Rams.

Davis is still on the roster, but St. Louis has moved on. The Rams brought in Foles and Case Keenum as the starter and backup. St. Louis even spent a lofty third-round pick on Sean Mannion, essentially ruining any shot Davis had of being the No. 3. Mannion will get the job by default due to his draft status.

It was easy to root for Davis during his run in 2014, but he is likely done with the Rams.

Steven Gerwel is the longest-tenured Rams featured columnist at Bleacher Report and served as the Rams' game-day correspondent in 2014. You can find more of Gerwel's work by visiting his writer profile or following him on Twitter.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
A few thoughts...

Dunbar hasn't looked so good since he had to get off the juice, has he?

I'll believe Pead is an NFL RB when I see it. The guy is barely clinging to 4th string status right now. Don't know if it's brains or heart, but something seems missing. And this will be his 4th season, so.....

Might be premature to hand backup QB duties over to Keenum just yet. First, I want to see what Weinke and maybe Garcia can do with Davis. May the best QB win.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
>>Now that the Rams invested in new franchise quarterback Nick Foles<<

"Franchise QB Foles"??...........I don't think so....perhaps closer to a game manager.

Re: Fisher: >> For starters, he has finally been given the opportunity to reshape the offense in his image<<

I don't know about the rest of you folks, but I never favored Tenn's offense, it had flashes, but the results speak for themselves. As much as I respect Fisher, I'd prefer his offense be something more than a rehashed or revised version of a 10 or 15 year old model, especially considering the rules and philosophy changes since then. Oh there will certainly be varied differences this time around due primarily to speed and skill levels....I only hope that I'm mistaken and that this group of offensive coaches will surprise us with something closer to a Martz "hybrid" like model (one can only dream).....

While I appreciate a hard pounding running game, there will be times when the Rams will need to strike quickly and late....without quick strike capability, I seriously doubt this team can reach 1st tier status. Oh this D may well reach 85 Bear level's, but even back then, their O averaged slightly over 28 points a game.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
>>Now that the Rams invested in new franchise quarterback Nick Foles<<

"Franchise QB Foles"??...........I don't think so....perhaps closer to a game manager.

If Russell Wilson is considered a franchise QB then Foles certainly can be. Wilson is the definition of game manager.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
Winner: ME I just got in early and got NFL Direct TV (FREE) again for this next season. Thought I'd get in early and give it my best shot and I'm very happy I did. Did'nt have to threaten to leave this time. Its all in the agent you get at the time. Goodluck to the rest of you as you go through it year after year also.

I think the real winner is Coach O who is able to see the real struggle and pad competition play out before his eyes watching the most pressure packed two a days practices in a decade or more. Competitions everywhere along with watching recovery time and players like Quick and Gurley and when, not if they will be 100% and ready to kick ass this season. Thats gonna be hot but its gonna be awesome to see as this team is so freakin close to finally being for REAL.

I hope our offense is a surprise to all of us and we have that quickstrike addition also with the ground and pound. I'm sure he'll at least try and have it ready. Now the "D" will set the tone early and hoping our "O" can give them the proper rest they WILL need to be effective for a full game. Gotta have that balance and stop the penalties that has killed us and play like men and not that chippy crap.

This offseason will be so great day to day I'm drooling thinking about just how good things CAN go and not the bad for once. OL MUST be ready. PERIOD!!!!!! Let it be so. I fully believe our D Line knows its part of their job to help get them ready also and not as in a competition but for the betterment of our team as a whole. Hope our coaches are up to this MAMOTH TASK. Guys start gettin ready everyday on your own right now. Screw carribean VACAYS'. Its WAR!

StevenG-BR

Rookie
Winner: ME I just got in early and got NFL Direct TV (FREE) again for this next season. Thought I'd get in early and give it my best shot and I'm very happy I did. Did'nt have to threaten to leave this time. Its all in the agent you get at the time. Goodluck to the rest of you as you go through it year after year also.

A little off topic, but what did you say exactly? Did you just point out how long you've been a customer, along with how loyal you've been?

I hear about people getting it free every year. I think I wanna give it a try this time around.

tempests

Hall of Fame
If Russell Wilson is considered a franchise QB then Foles certainly can be. Wilson is the definition of game manager.

Wilson is much more than a game manager.

Don't know how Foles will fare in this offense, but I assume the Rams are expecting him to be much more than a game manager as well.

Back Jlack

UDFA
Name
Back Jlack

I respectfully disagree, Wilson is super elusive and can extend plays. He's smart with the ball and knows when and when not to get out of the pocket. I don't consider him a top tier quarterback but I think he is more than just a game manager.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
A little off topic, but what did you say exactly? Did you just point out how long you've been a customer, along with how loyal you've been?

I hear about people getting it free every year. I think I wanna give it a try this time around.
Go for it!! I pitched-a-Bitch 3 years ago, About having to cut way back on my service, because it was too costly! I told them 'My Wife was complaining' they worked with me!! Haven't paid for football since!!:D