Williams thinks Rams' defense has chance to be special/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Williams thinks Rams' defense has chance to be special
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_6f1351e2-4df0-53a1-ac64-b2b15e3cc1c2.html

When Rams defensive players returned for the start of the offseason conditioning program in late April, each received an individual tape — an individual report if you will — showing strengths and weaknesses in his play.

“It’s one thing for a coach to talk to all the defense,” coordinator Gregg Williams said. “It’s one thing for a coach to talk just to his position area. But the (position) coaches went the extra mile.”

And produced individual tapes, self-scouting their own players.

“The guys took it to heart and really had a very good spring in the weight room, in the training room and then here on the field,” Williams said. “It’s light years ahead of where we were last year (at this time) because they didn’t know me, I didn’t know them.

“Just from a terminology (standpoint), are we speaking the same language? Do we understand what we really want? It took a little bit of time for all of us to get acclimated last year.”

But now a foundation has been laid. There has been a base of information established for a defense that was among the league’s best over the second half of last season. If nothing else, Williams hopes the familiarity helps the Rams avoid the slow starts defensively that have plagued the team for several seasons under coach Jeff Fisher, predating Williams’ arrival a year ago.

To say that Williams raised the subject of slow starts during the spring would be understatement.

“Why don’t you ask these young gentlemen who play if I have worn them out about that,” Williams said. “Yes, we’ve discussed it.”

Linebacker Jo-Lonn Dunbar, whose association with Williams dates to time they spent together in New Orleans, can vouch for that.

“We’ve stressed that 10-fold,” Dunbar said. “Gregg mentions it every day. That’s the first thing he says to us every day. ... ‘Start fast. Start fast. Start fast.’ So what we need to do is start fast as a defense and start fast as a team.”

The pieces certainly are in place for that to take place this year. Returning from last season are seven of the team’s top nine defensive linemen, the top four linebackers and all 11 of the top defensive backs.

Fortifying that group are the free-agent additions of defensive tackle Nick Fairley, a first-round pick by Detroit, and outside linebacker Akeem Ayers, who won a Super Bowl last season with the New England Patriots.

“He has really fit in quite well here,” Williams said of Fairley. “The thing that’s been really fun for me to watch is the big eyes he had when he came in and saw the talent in that room. He saw, and all of a sudden, ‘Whoa! I’m going to have to compete for any time to get on the field with these guys.’ It’s gonna be fun packaging all those guys up.”

As for Ayers, Williams has some familiarity from the year (2013) they spent together in Tennessee.

“We’ve got to try to adapt some things to his skill set,” Williams said. “Hide the things that he doesn’t do real well but maximize the things that he does do well. And he does some really good things.”

Overall, Williams has tried to eliminate clutter from the defensive playbook — plays and schemes that for whatever reason didn’t fit or didn’t work. But he’s also added a few tricks. Williams said he has 42 packages of personnel alignments and groupings in his playbook — the defense worked on 18 of them this spring.

Familiarity with his staff after a year together has allowed Williams to give them more responsibility on the practice field. Williams isn’t as omnipresent, although it still is hard to miss him.

“The assistants know more about what I want,” Williams said.

Williams has been around the NFL long enough to know what a special defense looks like. He’s had several of them himself over the years at his many stops throughout the league.

Can this be one of them?

“We would hope so,” Williams said. “I would tell you this: I’ve had a chance to be a part of ... many special defenses. I’ve been seven different places and at five of those seven places we’ve been top five or best in the world at what we do. This is a talented group.”

But a couple of things have to happen to make the leap from talented to special. One is communication. Miscommunication in the heat of a game can lead to a busted play.

“One play can beat you one way or the other,” Williams said. “But when they are on the same page and you see these guys talking, yeah, there’s a chance for them to be special.”

Another important factor, Williams says, is the passion the players have for success. As he sees it, succeeding at the highest level has to be more important to the players than it is even to the coaches.

“The good teams I’ve ever been on, and some of the greatest defenses I’ve ever been a part of, it was much more important to them than it was to me,” Williams said.

And it’s very important, obviously, to Williams. So much so that each defensive player was handed a report Thursday at the end of organized team activities, comparing where they are now to where they were at the start of the offseason program — on April 20.

“Where they grew, where they didn’t grow,” Williams said.

And what they need to accomplish on their own before the team reconvenes for the start of training camp at the end of July.

It was Williams’ way of saying: Have a nice summer.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Williams is one of the best defensive coordinators in the game and IMO he and Fisher make a great combination. IMO the challenge for Williams and his defense is not to give up the big plays as that killed them last season.

Secondary Coach Chuck Cecil also has to find a way to limit the number of mistakes his unit made last year. To keep the play in front of them. Now I'm all for an aggressive defense and if you give up a big play like against the Broncos okay, but you have to limit them as well.

The offense can help too in order for this defense to be great the offense needs to put some drives together and keep them off the field. Again injuries always play a part and right now the Rams only have three defensive tackles so keeping Donald, Brockers & Fairley healthy will be essential.

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
IMO the challenge for Williams and his defense is not to give up the big plays as that killed them last season

Pretty much that. The Rams gave up 5 50+ yard plays last season, 4 being TDs and the 5th on a TD drive, if they were able to eliminate those 5 plays they'd go from the number 5 scoring D, to the number 2 scoring D. Which would meet my criteria for "special".

Moostache

Rookie
Pretty much that. The Rams gave up 5 50+ yard plays last season, 4 being TDs and the 5th on a TD drive, if they were able to eliminate those 5 plays they'd go from the number 5 scoring D, to the number 2 scoring D. Which would meet my criteria for "special".
An elite or special defense will not give up leads of 21-0 or 14-0, period. The '85 Bears or '00 Ravens defenses would have won those games because the ONLY way you were going to beat those teams was to have the lead yourself and hope to hold on. The '14 Rams were not ready for prime time, but this year is special in NFL history because of those other teams...

'85 Bears....15 years later.....'00 Ravens....15 years later......'15 Rams!!!

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
An elite or special defense will not give up leads of 21-0 or 14-0, period. The '85 Bears or '00 Ravens defenses would have won those games because the ONLY way you were going to beat those teams was to have the lead yourself and hope to hold on. The '14 Rams were not ready for prime time, but this year is special in NFL history because of those other teams...

My original point was that if they eliminate the 5 50+ yard plays they'd be special. Both blown leads required a 50+ yard play, without which we probably wouldn't have lost.

Completely unrelated to the point you just made, but I didn't realise that the 80 yard TD we gave up to the 49ers on MNF was to Brandon Lloyd, you miss so many things when you're at a game and pissed off at your own players stupidity.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
Williams is one of the best defensive coordinators in the game and IMO he and Fisher make a great combination. IMO the challenge for Williams and his defense is not to give up the big plays as that killed them last season.

Secondary Coach Chuck Cecil also has to find a way to limit the number of mistakes his unit made last year. To keep the play in front of them. Now I'm all for an aggressive defense and if you give up a big play like against the Broncos okay, but you have to limit them as well.

The offense can help too in order for this defense to be great the offense needs to put some drives together and keep them off the field. Again injuries always play a part and right now the Rams only have three defensive tackles so keeping Donald, Brockers & Fairley healthy will be essential.

True, but not just put together "some drives", this O needs to average as close to 28 points a game as they can get. Do that and the rest will take care of itself. (y)

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
True, but not just put together "some drives", this O needs to average as close to 28 points a game as they can get. Do that and the rest will take care of itself. (y)

Teams that averaged 28 points per game last year:
Green Bay Packers 30.4
Denver Broncos 30.1
Philadelphia Eagles 29.6
New England Patriots 29.3
Dallas Cowboys 29.2
Indianapolis Colts 28.6

I'll predict it now, if the Rams can average 28 points per game, coupled with this D, then we're going 16-0.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

Well, let's not put the cart before the horse right now consistency on offense and not turning the ball over putting the defense in tough situations will be a major improvement over last season...If the offense averages 28 points a game we might be partying like it's 1999!

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Having a healthy offense will improve our defense immensely, and lead to more victories. Our "D" had issues with consistency and the occasional "big play", but it is really easy to lose a game or give away a big lead when your offense is giving up turnovers for TD's and constantly punting. In 2014 we were ranked 8th in most punts, the combination of Davis/Hill total 16 Int's (6 for a TD, and 12 Fumbles (4 Lost, 4 TD).

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Gregg Williams enters offseason on high note

By Conor Orr
Around The NFL Writer

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...-gregg-williams-enters-offseason-on-high-note

This is probably the last opportunity the Rams will have this summer to talk about how great their defense can be before actually showing us how dominant it will be.

Their defensive line will have first-round picks across the board with another ready to sub in, assuming Nick Fairley can steal time from Michael Brockers (first-round pick, 2012). Linebacker Alec Ogletree is a late first-round pick and not too long ago pass-rusger James Laurinaitis was selected by a previous regime in the second round. Akeem Ayers was also a second-round pick.

Then, in the secondary, there's second-round pick Janoris Jenkins at one corner spot and former top 10 pick Mark Barron floating around competing for time at safety.

In short, it's time to press the gas pedal.

"The guys took it to heart and really had a very good spring in the weight room, in the training room and then here on the field," Rams defensive coordinator Gregg Williams said, per The Post-Dispatch. "It's light years ahead of where we were last year (at this time) because they didn't know me, I didn't know them.

"Just from a terminology (standpoint), are we speaking the same language? Do we understand what we really want? It took a little bit of time for all of us to get acclimated last year."

Running parallel to the joy Williams is experiencing as his system becomes more ingrained with his players during his second year is the pressure that will inevitably follow.

This Rams defense has a chance to be phenomenal, especially with an increased focus on the run game on offense.

Now, Williams needs to be phenomenal, too.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen

I like how you are thinking! Numerology time!!!!!

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Gregg Williams enters offseason on high note

By Conor Orr
Around The NFL Writer

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...-gregg-williams-enters-offseason-on-high-note

This is probably the last opportunity the Rams will have this summer to talk about how great their defense can be before actually showing us how dominant it will be.

Their defensive line will have first-round picks across the board with another ready to sub in, assuming Nick Fairley can steal time from Michael Brockers (first-round pick, 2012). Linebacker Alec Ogletree is a late first-round pick and not too long ago pass-rusger James Laurinaitis was selected by a previous regime in the second round. Akeem Ayers was also a second-round pick.

Then, in the secondary, there's second-round pick Janoris Jenkins at one corner spot and former top 10 pick Mark Barron floating around competing for time at safety.

In short, it's time to press the gas pedal.

"The guys took it to heart and really had a very good spring in the weight room, in the training room and then here on the field," Rams defensive coordinator Gregg Williams said, per The Post-Dispatch. "It's light years ahead of where we were last year (at this time) because they didn't know me, I didn't know them.

"Just from a terminology (standpoint), are we speaking the same language? Do we understand what we really want? It took a little bit of time for all of us to get acclimated last year."

Running parallel to the joy Williams is experiencing as his system becomes more ingrained with his players during his second year is the pressure that will inevitably follow.

This Rams defense has a chance to be phenomenal, especially with an increased focus on the run game on offense.

Now, Williams needs to be phenomenal, too.

I'm liking the use of this word when talking about our D. Let it be so!

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just start off strong... be consistent and play disciplined football (no getting burned often)...

If the offense can score around 22 or so and this defense does what I mentioned, it will be a very satisfying season.

RamBill

Legend
What a Difference a Year Makes for Rams DC Gregg Williams
Posted by: Luke Schnake

http://www.101sports.com/2015/06/21/gregg-williams-anxious-start-second-year-rams/

Most of the questions surrounding the Rams coming into OTA’s were of the offensive variety. Fans and media are wondering how Nick Foles will fare wearing the horns for the first time as a starting quarterback after a late 2014 shoulder injury.
Defensive coordinator Gregg Williams

Williams is entering his second season as the Rams’ defensive coordinator.

Furthermore, will the team’s young offensive line be able to part defenses for Tre Mason and Todd Gurley when the first round pick makes his debut?

Offensive questions in mind, it’s easy to forget about the other side of the ball.

The Rams’ defense has been steadier in recent times, and Defensive Coordinator Gregg Williams spoke with reporters Thursday at Rams Park about how his squad is progressing so far in practice.

Williams has been impressed with the preparation his coaches and players put in over the offseason.

“The guys really came back with a ‘work hard attitude’ and really I couldn’t have asked for them to come back with a more challenging attitude than what they did.” Williams said, adding that having a season under his belt with the current scheme helps his crew’s confidence. “It’s light years on where we were last year because they didn’t know me and I didn’t know them.”

Williams is confident he and his team can hit the ground running this season after all the “getting-to-know-you’s” of last year.

“Just from a terminology, are we speaking the same language? Do we understand what we really want? It took a little bit of time for all of us to get acclimated last year.” Williams said. “Now we’re hoping we can start off faster this year because there’s a knowledge, a base of information that we all know is the same.”

The Rams’ DC notes his players have the attitude that makes good defenses great.

“The good teams that I’ve ever been on and some of the greatest defenses I’ve ever been a part of, it was much more important to them than it was to me. These guys have kind of taken ownership in that, so it’s been fun.” Williams said.

“We’ve had a good spring here in the OTAs. Offensively, they’ve cooperated. I thought there was some really good things our offense was doing to challenge us and I didn’t think any of our guys backed off any of that.” Williams added.

Williams has earned respect as one of the greater defensive minds in the game, adding weight to his praise of the coaching staff’s ability to utilize the players’ defensive talent.

Williams says his staff excels at capitalizing on each individual player’s strengths and minimizing his weaknesses.

“If anybody here thinks that Michael Brockers and Aaron Donald play the position the same way, they don’t. But yet they play the same position, but their technique, the way they play is different.” said Williams. “So how do we go about impacting growth and development on each individual guy? I thought our coaches did a really good job of that.”

Rams rookies report to training camp July 27, with veterans reporting two days later.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
this year is special in NFL history because of those other teams...

Disciples of the great Buddy Ryan...Williams and Fisher, with the assist from Snead will get'er done in '15.

RamBill

Legend
Rams defenders aren't shy about voicing their potential in 2015
By Elisabeth Meinecke

http://www.foxsports.com/midwest/st...-about-voicing-their-potential-in-2015-062215

ST. LOUIS -- Scary.

That's how William Hayes is predicting the Rams' defense will look in its second season under coordinator Gregg Williams.

"Last year, we were going into the season still trying to really get familiar with the scheme," the defensive end explains. "Guys came in this year with a different mentality. We didn't come in this year trying to figure things out. We've already got everything figured out. We know what's expected of us. And we know the schemes like the back of our hand. It's going to be scary this year."

The unit's final numbers last year didn't do its talent justice, thanks to a slow start to the season. Despite two shutouts, the Rams finished 17th in the league in yards allowed last year, though slightly better than average at getting to the opponent's quarterback (40 sacks, tied for 13th). But the stat that likely hurt most was a 6-10 record, kicked off by a 1-4 start.

The Rams' defense, however, isn't shy about its potential this September.

"It's about time for us to push into that top five defense in almost every statistical category, and I think that's what we're aiming to do, and I think that's what we're going to accomplish," says linebacker Jo-Lonn Dunbar. "I think we can go head-to-head with any offense in this league, and I think we can stand toe-to-toe with any defense."

Or, as defensive end Eugene Sims says: "I wouldn't say we'll have to go toe-to-toe with any defense. Any defense will have to go toe-to-toe with us."

These aren't idle words, uttered carelessly or naively in the relaxed atmosphere of the offseason. Rams defenders have a healthy confidence in what they can become, and there are several reasons to think they may prove right come fall. For starters, there's the team's familiarity with Williams -- as Hayes points out, it's the first time in four years with the Rams that he'll have had the same coordinator in back-to-back seasons. And Williams has been using that familiarity to harp on the concept of starting fast, so much so that Sims edited one of the alarms on his phone to "fast start."
"Once we get in meetings (during OTAs) every day, we have a different type of picture -- we have a racing picture, we have a racecar, a horse, a snake eating something, that says, 'Fast start,'" Sims says. "He overemphasizes it every day, so we wake up to it pretty much."

The theme runs through the entire team.

"We're preaching start fast. That's something we haven't done since I've been here," says Dunbar, who joined the Rams in 2012. "We usually get out of the block 2-2, 1-3, something like that. So I think if we start fast, I think that will give us the momentum to carry on throughout the season."

One way to help accomplish that, Dunbar says, is by ensuring every practice has a sense of urgency.

"Make sure practice has a sense of urgency. Everything you do as an individual, and as a core, just a sense of urgency. And I think it's something that if you preach, it's basically the law of attraction," he says. "I feel like defense is playing a little faster (in OTAs), a little quicker. I think we're anticipating a little better."

But there's something else, besides the familiarity, that justifies the Rams' confidence for the upcoming season: an even deeper roster. This offseason, the Rams acquired former first-rounder Nick Fairley, a defensive tackle, from Detroit and linebacker Akeem Ayers, who won a Super Bowl with the Patriots last season. Add those names to a unit that already includes the likes of James Laurinaitis, Chris Long, Aaron Donald, Robert Quinn, E.J. Gaines and Alec Ogletree, and you start to picture the nightmare Hayes was describing for opposing offenses. Entering his eighth NFL season, Hayes has been around long enough to know.

"It's probably the best group of talented guys I've ever played with," he says. "And I've played on some pretty good defenses, especially in Tennessee."

Williams, meanwhile, appears committed to getting the most out of his roster depth and spoke at the end of OTAs about the variety of packages for his linebacker group, which also includes Dunbar, who is entering his eighth NFL season and won a Super Bowl with the Saints. The coach struck a similar tone when speaking of Fairley's addition to the defensive front.

"The thing that has been really fun for me to watch is the big eyes that he had when he came in and saw the talent in that room," Williams said. "We just don't play four guys or three guys on defense. We try to have as much of a 50-50 split or 45-55 split of a ballgame keeping those guys fresh."

For someone like Hayes, there's a personal goal of ensuring his level of play stays consistent with his teammates.

"I don't want there to be a huge difference from when Chris Long is in the game and when I'm in the game. I don't want people to say, 'Well, gosh, if Chris was in the game, that wouldn't have happened,'" Hayes says. "My goal is never to be the drop-off. When I come in, I want to be the spark. I want excitement when I come in the game. That's what I thrive on -- just trying to be the best football player I can be."

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
This defense can definitely be a top 3-5 D our front seven will be awesome so if our Dbs can match it will be a great year defensively.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Greg Williams looking for big improvements...(Click)

Gregg-Williams-will-look-for-big-improvements-out-of-his-defense-in-2015.jpg

Gregg Williams is looking for big improvements out of his defense in 2015
Rodney Davis
June 22, 2015
Buffalo Bills, Jacksonville Jaguars, New Orleans Saints, NFL, St. Louis Rams, Tennessee Titans, Washington Redskins
Gregg Williams has high hopes for his defenders on the St. Louis Rams defense heading into the 2015 NFL season. Last season, Gregg Williams saw big plays throughout the season but not the type of results he desired for a 16-game schedule.

This season, both he and the team have high hopes on both offense and defense, which is where the team wants to be mentioned as one of the best.

Gregg Williams recently hinted at his optimism and how hard the St. Louis Rams defensive unit is working in the off-season to take it up a notch this upcoming year.

Williams told the St. Louis Post Dispatch,

“The guys took it to heart and really had a very good spring in the weight room, in the training room and then here on the field,” Rams defensive coordinator Gregg Williams said, per The Post-Dispatch. “It’s light years ahead of where we were last year (at this time) because they didn’t know me, I didn’t know them.

“Just from a terminology (standpoint), are we speaking the same language? Do we understand what we really want? It took a little bit of time for all of us to get acclimated last year.”

The Rams offense is hoping to elevate their play as well with the additions of quarterback Nick Foles and rookie phenom Todd Gurley, but defensively there are much higher hopes and with those hopes comes large expectations.

The Gregg Williams coached defensive unit has such stalwarts as All-Pro Robert Quinn, Aaron Donald, Chris Long, James Laurinaits, Alec Ogletree, Janoris Jenkins, T.J. McDonald, Michael Brockers, the list goes on and on.

The point is, there is not only a ton of talent and depth at multiple positions, but there are plenty of guys hungry for more out of themselves and their team.

When you have guys with some success in the league such as safety Mark Barron, Nick Fairley or Akeem Ayers fighting for playing time, that is a good problem to have for rotational purposes, to bring out the best in others they are challenging for reps, and to make the defense better as a whole.

This season, I expect Gregg Williams to be at his absolute best in coaching this unit and taking their play to heights they have never seen, after all he has done it just about everywhere he has coached which includes stints with the Bills as a head coach, Saints, Jaguars, Redskins and Oilers/Titans to a degree.

This defense has the makings of top 10 and with Gregg Williams track record, he can bring the intended results for St. Louis and I feel he will with fewer mistakes, more turnovers caused on defense and a little more help from the offense along the way to help the team push for the playoffs.