Williams promises culture change

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
BY KATHLEEN NELSON | Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2012 2:14 pm
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football ... z1kPkQlnjB

New Rams defensive coordinator Gregs Williams promised culture change from the regime of Steve Spagnuolo in his introductory press conference.

"I think the world of Spags but I'm not him," Williams said. "There will be some differences, some of the things that I expect over guys that have been here before. ... This will be something that the guys will take to pretty good because they all want to be good. They'll listen to people they believe will make them better. We won't be wasting anybody's time. We'll work hard, but we'll work hard, too."

Recurring themes of his teleconference were aggressiveness on defense and improved tackling and an increase in takeaways. Williams said each practice would begin with the entire defense rotating through "stations of drills where each coach will be teaching a particular skill and drill in tackling, a skill and drill in taking the ball away. Each player will rotate through the station until they go off to their position groups. It's a way for me to monitor and say I have impact. I organize it. Every players goes through every single circuit."

Williams said his son, Blake, would serve on his staff but didn't offer names of any other assistants. He expected the staff to come together quickly, though.

He wouldn't offer analysis on comments on any of the Rams' players, saying:"It's too early to tell. There's a lot of guys on this team that I wanted to draft. I know the roster pretty well, but until you work side-by-side with a person, until you go through the stresses of the season, you really don't know anybody. I'm looking forward to all of them.

"Everyone will be interviewing for a position. If you interview well today, you get to play. If you don't interview well, you don't get to play."

A confident Williams took pride in being an agent of change.

"That's why people hire me. People want to figure out when they bought stock in particular players, when they drafted them and they paid them money enomous amounts of money, who's at fault? Is it the decision makers who chose them or the young men that haven't figured out what it takes to play in the National Football League?

"I've been able to do that everywhere I go and get way too much credit for the Xs and Os. My speciality is handling people, especially difficult people.

"I look forward to the opportuintiy to mold these guys in some of the way I have in other places. From what I looked at on film, Steve Spagnuolo did a good job. These guys played really hard here.That's a huge part of chaning any culture.

"It looks like they've got a good nucleus. I'm looking forward to finding the idiosynchrasies. What we'll do defensively is I'll adapt to them, they won't adapt to me. Everywhere I've gone, I've been able to get a top five defense. When we do that, it's because I will adapt to the strengths of the people there. I think coaches make mistakes when they try to pigeonhohle players into what they're comfortable with. I'm comfortable in my own skin. I think my charge is to find the stregnth of every single peerson I get a chance to coach, to utilize their strengths and hide their weakensses.

Williams said his reason for leaving the same position in New Orleans came down to friends and family. He considers coach Jeff Fisher his best friend.

"When you can't tell your best friend no, that's probably the biggest reason," he said. "Very seldom does he make a rash, improper decision.He’s got a calmness for a strong intelligent man that permeates through your organization. I’ve always appreciated, especially on game day, you’ll see Jeff be as calm as anybody."

He said he also looked forward to returning to his roots in Missouri. Williams grew up in Excelsior Springs, near Kansas City, and spent time at his parents' second home at the Lake of the Ozarks.

Anonymous

His "speciality is handling people, especially difficult people"......yes indeed. Now to apply my vast squeaky powers towards getting the Rams to sign Suh....... :sly:

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
squeaky wheel said:
His "speciality is handling people, especially difficult people"......yes indeed. Now to apply my vast squeaky powers towards getting the Rams to sign Suh....... :sly:

Justin King = Next years probowl starter.

superfan24

Starter
Still very concerned about Williams especially after seeing one of my friends tonight who is a Saints fan and was very pleased about Spags going there and believes their D will be much better next year. Also said about all of the NO fans are happy Williams are gone and most believe he cost them the playoff game.

bluecoconuts

Legend
superfan24 said:
Still very concerned about Williams especially after seeing one of my friends tonight who is a Saints fan and was very pleased about Spags going there and believes their D will be much better next year. Also said about all of the NO fans are happy Williams are gone and most believe he cost them the playoff game.

Their offense turned the ball over constantly in that playoff game, the defense wasn't really the issue.

However they should be excited about Spags, he's one of the best, DC's in the game right now. To me, that's not so much a knock in Williams as it is a nod to Spags. Fans are going to blame Williams, the same reason why Jets fans will blame Schottenheimer. He's no longer with the team, and it's easier to place blame with the guy who's leaving. The Saints lost that game against the Niners because of the offense, not the defense.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
bluecoconuts said:
superfan24 said:

Their offense turned the ball over constantly in that playoff game, the defense wasn't really the issue.

However they should be excited about Spags, he's one of the best, DC's in the game right now. To me, that's not so much a knock in Williams as it is a nod to Spags. Fans are going to blame Williams, the same reason why Jets fans will blame Schottenheimer. He's no longer with the team, and it's easier to place blame with the guy who's leaving. The Saints lost that game against the Niners because of the offense, not the defense.

One of the criticisms over his D was his random blitzes. He would get blitz-happy at times. I think he even blitzed a few times on the Niners last drive. He had to! The Saints got nothing from the 4-man rush. They didnt have a stud DE. Everyones gonna remember the 2 playoff losses to the Niners and Seahawks. The defense was embarassed in the 4th Qtr in those games. Im confident that he wont have that same style of play-calling here, less blitzing.

bluecoconuts

Legend
JdashSTL said:
bluecoconuts said:
superfan24 said:

One of the criticisms over his D was his random blitzes. He would get blitz-happy at times. I think he even blitzed a few times on the Niners last drive. He had to! The Saints got nothing from the 4-man rush. They didnt have a stud DE. Everyones gonna remember the 2 playoff losses to the Niners and Seahawks. The defense was embarassed in the 4th Qtr in those games. Im confident that he wont have that same style of play-calling here, less blitzing.

I don't think he will either, and he said he will adapt to the team he has. He blitzed a lot with the Saints to cover up how they weak they were with the front 4, I think with the Rams he's probably loving the possibility of a Long and Quinn duo. Especially if we get a big body to help with DT in the draft/FA. It's going to help out a lot and let him call a better defense in my opinion.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
bluecoconuts said:
JdashSTL said:
bluecoconuts said:
superfan24 said:

I don't think he will either, and he said he will adapt to the team he has. He blitzed a lot with the Saints to cover up how they weak they were with the front 4, I think with the Rams he's probably loving the possibility of a Long and Quinn duo. Especially if we get a big body to help with DT in the draft/FA. It's going to help out a lot and let him call a better defense in my opinion.
It all starts in the trenches... :cheese:

superfan24

Starter
bluecoconuts said:
JdashSTL said:
bluecoconuts said:
superfan24 said:

Yep completely agree. Hopefully we can grab one in the early rounds as I believe this is the biggest need on the team besides WR.