Williams is partially neutralizing Quinn

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I said this in the chat room..........

Quinn is doing the exact same thing every time he rushes the passer, lining up wide and trying to turn the corner on the tackle and he is either getting ridden past the QB or the QB just steps up and POOF there goes any chance for pressure or a sack.

If I can spot that watching in a bar and post it to an internet fan forum chatroom why can't this so called defensive genius see it and fix it?

Psycho_X

Legend
Doesn't help he constantly blitzes and leaves no safety help. There is always someone wide open for the QB to get rid of the ball quickly. So the d-line never has that much of a chance to get to the QB.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich

Quinn is doing the exact same thing every time he rushes the passer, lining up wide and trying to turn the corner on the tackle and he is either getting ridden past the QB or the QB just steps up and POOF there goes any chance for pressure or a sack.

If I can spot that watching in a bar and post it to an internet fan forum chatroom why can't this so called defensive genius see it and fix it?
Or is the league neutralizing Williams ?

V3

Hall of Fame
Having zero push from our DT's not named Donald doesn't help, either. If there was some push up the middle, the QB would have nowhere to go.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Or is the league neutralizing Williams ?

Could be, maybe. I know that if I know what Quinn is going to do I'm guessing the opposing tackle does too LOL.

@Psycho_X I agree..........and he is dropping JL into pass coverage too often which IMO is the wrong thing to do.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Could be, maybe. I know that if I know what Quinn is going to do I'm guessing the opposing tackle does too LOL.

@Psycho_X I agree..........and he is dropping JL into pass coverage too often which IMO is the wrong thing to do.
See my post in the Williams thread Les, I'm coming to the conclusion the league office wants Greg Williams to go away.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
See my post in the Williams thread Les, I'm coming to the conclusion the league office wants Greg Williams to go away.
I'm convinced Williams is sabotaging the D to get Fisher fired

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Having zero push from our DT's not named Donald doesn't help, either. If there was some push up the middle, the QB would have nowhere to go.
Precisely. Funny how other teams have no problems getting pressure up the middle which keeps our QB from climbing the pocket.

Irish

Starter
Precisely. Funny how other teams have no problems getting pressure up the middle which keeps our QB from climbing the pocket.

Well, yeah, but all those teams have 2 top 15 picks at their DT spots, so of course they are gonna be dominant.

Oh...oh, wait. Oh. That's us...

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott

I'm seeing the very same thing. He's always going to the outside of the LT. Rarely, if ever going up through the gap.
I wonder if that's by design to keep guys like Kap from rolling out and taking off.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In that case, we obviously need to reconsider how bad of a job we think he's doing. Then he IS a genius.
Holding the Rams (#1, #3 in sacks 2012,2013) to an NFL record for futility (1 sack in 1st 5 games) is an amazing accomplishment!

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Doesn't help he constantly blitzes and leaves no safety help. There is always someone wide open for the QB to get rid of the ball quickly. So the d-line never has that much of a chance to get to the QB.
That's Williams' MO though. He brings the heat and trusts his CBs to do their job. That's why you can't name a corner from those New Orleans defenses, but guys like Roman Harper and Darren Sharper became Pro Bowlers/All-Pros. They got beat a fair amount, but usually by the end of the game, a QB was peaking for the next blitzer and he'd cough it up.

Difference is, the Saints were able to disrupt the QB.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
I'm seeing the very same thing. He's always going to the outside of the LT. Rarely, if ever going up through the gap.
I wonder if that's by design to keep guys like Kap from rolling out and taking off.
It's exactly what it was ,if he was going to take an inside rush they needed to send the backer outside to keep CK contained ,but once again, these athletes are good enough that there is no reason we should have the drastic difference in sack production .
Williams and the Saints embarrassed the league mortally and it's food for thought for me I've said my peace about this to the point I'm beginning to troll so I think it's time to let it go.

fearsomefour

Legend
That's Williams' MO though. He brings the heat and trusts his CBs to do their job. That's why you can't name a corner from those New Orleans defenses, but guys like Roman Harper and Darren Sharper became Pro Bowlers/All-Pros. They got beat a fair amount, but usually by the end of the game, a QB was peaking for the next blitzer and he'd cough it up.

Difference is, the Saints were able to disrupt the QB.
....and the Saints had an offense that could offset giving up a couple of big plays a game. It is easy to be reckless on D when you can almost always count on your O putting up 34 points or whatever.
Williams is a disaster and gets an F- to this point.
On the TD to Crabtree he rushed 7.....7 and the QB could stand there like a statue. Quinn when out way wide everyone else sort of bunched down low (I am assuming to open a lane for the blitzers) and a couple late blitzers ran straight into blockers. The Whiners....and everyone else this year....has blocked our blitzers with equal numbers. No safety help in the middle of the field over and over.
I wasnt in love with the Williams hire (as I stated over and over his D rankings were consistently middle of the pack) but I supported it thinking anyone would be better than who they had....I was wrong.
The mentality seems to be the same as the Spinal Tap scene where the idiot has an amp that goes to 11. When you have something that is a strength what else can you do?....MORE OF IT....more pressure, more pressure....except it is not working and exposing a young secondary.
Like that amp that goes to 11 Williams has not made a good D better he has just created a bunch of noise.
F-.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I saw a play, where either a TE or RB chipped on Quinn...It was a devastating block...Seemed as if it knocked some steam outta him...It was early in the game...

Looks like Williams is blitzing with players that have no clue how to get to the QB....Strange...But better players, probably make him look better...And clearly his scheme is not being...understood. May take this whole season...Defense is struggling, no doubt.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Well, yeah, but all those teams have 2 top 15 picks at their DT spots, so of course they are gonna be dominant.

Oh...oh, wait. Oh. That's us...
And we have a Rookie LG and a RG (in Joseph) who sucks! trying to hold the middle!

cracengl

Rookie
I remember when this used to be the big knock on Quinn...that he was a one trick pony. Then last year he seemed to put it all together and blew up. It makes you wonder what changed. Last year he looked so good, there's no way you'd expect him to be held without any sacks this far into the season--holding or not.