Williams' Blitz Package - 2003 Bills' Playbook

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

theramsruleUK

Pro Bowler
That's really interesting, safety seems to be getting some work

Has williams ever had a front four like this before? I seem to remember an interview where he said he's always had to manufacture pressure as he hasbt really had a pass rush before?

PrometheusFaulk

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That's really interesting, safety seems to be getting some work

Has williams ever had a front four like this before? I seem to remember an interview where he said he's always had to manufacture pressure as he hasbt really had a pass rush before?

I think that's going to such an interesting factor. Williams has been known as such a creative blitzing mind, but this is a team that really doesn't need to blitz much to create pressure. Does that creativity now roll more into exotic coverages?

Do they blitz anyway, cuz they can?

Should be fun.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd think they'd still blitz a bit - if for no other reason so that teams will have to be ready for it, instead of putting extra blockers on the Four Horsemen (or whatever nickname the DL will end up with). And if teams DON'T prepare for the blitz - well, their QBs will end up getting plenty of fiber from eating turf.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I think that's going to such an interesting factor. Williams has been known as such a creative blitzing mind, but this is a team that really doesn't need to blitz much to create pressure. Does that creativity now roll more into exotic coverages?

Do they blitz anyway, cuz they can?

Should be fun.
Can't wait to see this!!

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I think having a front four like this one, will allow Williams to pick his spots, and be even more effective when he chooses to bring extra bodies. While I believe he will still blitz, I think it will be more a by product of being in favorable down and distance situations. Being unpredictable, will make him even more dangerous, rather than just doing it to do it.

The primary objective being creating turnovers. Be it from sack/fumbles, or forcing errant throws.

PrometheusFaulk

Starter
I think having a front four like this one, will allow Williams to pick his spots, and be even more effective when he chooses to bring extra bodies. While I believe he will still blitz, I think it will be more a by product of being in favorable down and distance situations. Being unpredictable, will make him even more dangerous, rather than just doing it to do it.

The primary objective being creating turnovers. Be it from sack/fumbles, or forcing errant throws.

Makes sense. That seems to be the MO from the Saints days - using pressure to generate turnovers.

I wonder how TJ will take in Williams' defense. Good safety play has been something Williams has been blessed with at a few different stops, especially with Taylor.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

I think he will be picking plenty of spots myself. He's never had this much talent or speed so I can't see him taking things down a notch. In fact the possibility of him becoming even more aggressive is very real.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I think he will be picking plenty of spots myself. He's never had this much talent or speed so I can't see him taking things down a notch. In fact the possibility of him becoming even more aggressive is very real.

If by more aggressive you mean blitzing more, then I respectfully disagree. I think he will be looking to protect the secondary, (safeties) especially early in the season, and blitzing more does not do that.

As they gain more confidence and improve in the scheme, he may ask more of them, especially the safeties.

One thing I hope everyone takes note of, in looking over this playbook, is the CONSISTENT positioning of the CBs, WHEN they blitz. They are 9-10 yards off the LOS. Which is common sense. Again, this ties in to my belief they won't be blitzing as much as you might think, or hope.

I think they get more aggressive with the CBs, and you will see more 2 deep formations with the safeties helping when they can.

Irish

Starter
You blitz to keep opposing teams honest that you are a threat to do so.

I don't care if you have a front 4 made up of JJ Watt, Gerald McCoy, Geno Atkins, and Robert Quinn; eventually, professional offenses and their coordinators will scheme to block them.

Run Blitzes, Zone Blitzes, Safety Blitzes. As long as that QB has to even think about his jaw getting knocked off for a split of a split second, that is one more advantage your defense has, and when the average NFL play last +/- 8 Seconds, splits of a split seconds are HUGE

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
If by more aggressive you mean blitzing more, then I respectfully disagree. I think he will be looking to protect the secondary, (safeties) especially early in the season, and blitzing more does not do that.

As they gain more confidence and improve in the scheme, he may ask more of them, especially the safeties.

One thing I hope everyone takes note of, in looking over this playbook, is the CONSISTENT positioning of the CBs, WHEN they blitz. They are 9-10 yards off the LOS. Which is common sense. Again, this ties in to my belief they won't be blitzing as much as you might think, or hope.

I think they get more aggressive with the CBs, and you will see more 2 deep formations with the safeties helping when they can.

Early on yes you are probably right.

But I can't see him not wanting to attack plenty.

He's going to want to deploy his weapons IMO.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member

And death of the quarterback. You forgot to add that one.

PrometheusFaulk

Starter
Interesting....I'm going through it and wanted to see that Bills team...Anybody else wanna look, here ya go. Some interesting pieces...

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/2003.htm

Of course, it should be mentioned (as I should have in the OP) that Williams was the HC for the Bills at the time and not the DC.

Regardless, you'd have to imagine given his experience that he may have had a hand in creating the defensive play book.

It looks to me like the strength of that Bills defense was the corners and the linebackers. I didn't happen to see any corner blitzes in there, the secondary blitzes to me seemed to be the product of the safeties.

Don't know if that tells us anything about Williams' tendencies now or not.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Of course, it should be mentioned (as I should have in the OP) that Williams was the HC for the Bills at the time and not the DC.

Regardless, you'd have to imagine given his experience that he may have had a hand in creating the defensive play book.

It looks to me like the strength of that Bills defense was the corners and the linebackers. I didn't happen to see any corner blitzes in there, the secondary blitzes to me seemed to be the product of the safeties.

Don't know if that tells us anything about Williams' tendencies now or not.

I still like the post Pro...very interesting look....these appear to be blitzes vs 21 & 12 personnel....no nickle nor 3 wr sets....seems as if the will & sam backers have the same responsibilities, as do the safeties, and are interchangeable....reminds me of Fisher, and what he said, the players are just gonna be right & left backer, and the safety positions are interchangeable. Was he planning for Williams to return 2 years ago? I think Williams wanted TJ & Mo, as much as Snisher did in the draft. Seems like his corners had some high tackle numbers and low turnovers in '03. I think Williams will love the talent on this defense.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I think it is called game planning ?

To say he is going to play it safe is sort of ridiculous .They will already play the safety deep.He has said that is more of his style.Bend & don't break.
His son lost any hope of a playoff game against the Vikings.He dialed up a blitz which changed momentum of the too teams.The Vikings road Petterson to the post season.
I tend to believe The Rams are top 2 in NFC West.The Hawks will go down & 49ers defense is not the same.They have piled up a lot of draft picks & are well coached.

PrometheusFaulk

Starter
I still like the post Pro...very interesting look....these appear to be blitzes vs 21 & 12 personnel....no nickle nor 3 wr sets....seems as if the will & sam backers have the same responsibilities, as do the safeties, and are interchangeable....reminds me of Fisher, and what he said, the players are just gonna be right & left backer, and the safety positions are interchangeable. Was he planning for Williams to return 2 years ago? I think Williams wanted TJ & Mo, as much as Snisher did in the draft. Seems like his corners had some high tackle numbers and low turnovers in '03. I think Williams will love the talent on this defense.

Yeah, the sub packages may be assumed or missing, not sure about that one.

I agree with what you're saying about personnel acquisitions and player positions reflecting Williams' tastes in his absence. It looks to me like there MAY have been at least an inkling that he'd be back, even through the Rob Ryan carnival. Of course, that may be reading too much into it, which I've been known to do.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Ryan's & Williams both learned from Buddy...I think his sons may have tweaked his designs a lil bit....Rob & Rex seem like solid DC's...

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
the young secondary is going to flourish. just do the math here. quinn has to be doubled period by either sliding a guard over and leaving Donald Brockers and Long to wreak havoc going one on one or adding a TE to chip Quinn. and Long always collapses his side of the pocket immediately causing gaps. so what happens if you bring just ONE fast hard hitting DB like McDonald, Joyner, Alexander take your pick. you need at LEAST 5 on the O line just to slow them down rushing 4 (which didnt work so well last year for opposing teams). so bring in blitz packages and you have to commit 7 to stop 5 Rams right? whether its two TEs or a TE and a RB. so that leaves the QB with only 3 available playmakers blanketed by 6 Rams. Am I adding this up right or am I just high cus this seems ridiculous.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
As long as our front 7 can consistently stop the run our D will be just fine. I have no doubt our pass rush will be ferocious. It was top notch last season and it's only going to get worse for opposing QB's.