Will Witherspoon Return?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

biggame1190

Starter
Name
CB
willwitherspoon.jpg

Will Witherspoon is a FA after a pretty solid stint in Tennessee. Spoon was full time starter for 2 seasons (2010, 2011) and last season he was a spot starter (still getting playing time) as the Titans wanted to go forward with Zach Brown, Akeem Ayers and Colin McCarthy at LB.

As we know from his time here, Spoon is very versatile. Spoon played MLB for the Titans in 2011 and 2012 in their 3-4 system. But in 2010 , playing under Jeff Fisher mind you, he played OLB in the 4-3.

Spoon is 32 turning 33 for the 2013 season, but he is still pretty solid, still has that great speed for a LB and is still a very discipline player. For the opposite OLB spot to Dunbar, a position that is only on the field 30%-50% of the time in this day and ages NFL, I would be very open to bringing Will Witherspoon back to the Rams AND Jeff Fisher.

I always liked his game and have always been a big fan of Spoon.

EDIT NOW: With Tree here, now Spoon will fill out the LB depth that we did not have. Spoon is versatile to play all THREE LB spots which is what makes him still valuable.

lucknoluck.gif
- Witherspoon pick six on Andrew Golden Boy

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Re: Will Witherspoon Return? Stop Gap OLB

Sure. I'm a fan of Will's. If they can finagle the numbers and get him on the team for a couple of years while they groom someone else, then why would I object? As long as he can still play at a high level, then there is no down side.

biggame1190

Starter
Name
CB
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

X said:
Sure. I'm a fan of Will's. If they can finagle the numbers and get him on the team for a couple of years while they groom someone else, then why would I object? As long as he can still play at a high level, then there is no down side.

Exactly. I do not think contract would be too much of a issue, maybe give him a little bit more than the vet min and exactly like you said, signing a guy like Spoon does not mean we cant groom some young cat in the wings for the future.

biggame1190

Starter
Name
CB

Spoon doesn't seem too opposed to the possibility

Attachments

• SC20130201-165904.png
    SC20130201-165904.png
    75.4 KB · Views: 225

RamsLife

UDFA

Wouldn't be opposed to it either. If we can get him on the cheap for a yr or 2, (backup or possible starter) I'd be more than good with that. Dunbar, JL, and Spoon wouldn't be that bad of a lineup.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Sure. In Fisher we trust.

We need help at LB.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

CGI_Ram said:
Sure. In Fisher we trust.

We need help at LB.
nNAiK4H.jpg

fastcat

Pro Bowler

We need youth at the LB position, i wouldnt want him as a starter. We need to draft a starter imo. He'd be a solid backup OL/ML

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

fastcat said:
We need youth at the LB position, i wouldnt want him as a starter. We need to draft a starter imo. He'd be a solid backup OL/ML
Any idea who you'd want?

And ... what do you think of the young guys we already have? Like Jabara and Sammy Brown?

biggame1190

Starter
Name
CB

fastcat said:

I am for drafting a young guy (in later rounds) AND bringing in a relatively cheap vet (as I think Spoon will be) to battle for the starting job. The fact is the OLB spot opposite Dunbar does not get THAT much playing time anymore. On average probably 35% of the defensive snaps per game. Most of the time we are in nickle. So I am not for drafting a OLB in the first 2 rounds (3 picks). 3rd round I would maybe, but 4-5 range is where I would draft a player who will only be in on base defense situations.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

I think it's time for the Rams to add the third OLB in order to complete their triumvirate. The Rams need to draft that OLB adding Witherspoon for depth could be an option plus the fact that his former position coach Frank Bush is now in St. Louis could help and IMO he's better than Josh Hull.

Rams have to make a few decisions at LB...McIntosh & Hagan will move on most likely and it's time for the likes of Justin Cole & Josh Hull to step up or do the Rams add others through the draft and free agency?

IMO Frank Bush was a good hire the only thing good about the Titan defense was the linebackers like rookie Zach Brown and second-year pro Akeem Ayers who progressed into steady players in 2012.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

den-the-coach said:
I think it's time for the Rams to add the third OLB in order to completer their triumvirate. The Rams need to draft that OLB adding Witherspoon for depth could be an option adding the fact that is former position coach Frank Bush is now in St. Louis could help and IMO he's better than Josh Hull.

Rams have to make a few decision at LB...McIntosh & Hagan will move on most likely and it's time for the likes of Justin Cole & Josh Hull to step up or do the Rams add others?
Well, Josh is the backup MLB, who doubles as the utility LB. I don't think it would be wise to get rid of him due to the [UNLIKELY] event that we may need him to step in for JL55.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

X said:
Well, Josh is the backup MLB, who doubles as the utility LB. I don't think it would be wise to get rid of him due to the [UNLIKELY] event that we may need him to step in for JL55.

Not sold on Hull seems when he's playing during pre-season or regular season I don't see much production. Maybe he can show me different in 2013. Rams have some young linebackers on the roster...Hull, Justin Cole, Sammy Brown and don't forget Jabara Willaims who they signed late and for some reason I think is the next Isiah "Butch" Robertson.

Maybe Bush can get more out of this younger group, but I still believe a 4th round pick will be used on an OLB and that player will have an opportunity to start.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

den-the-coach said:
X said:
Not sold on Hull seems when he's playing during pre-season or regular season I don't see much production. Maybe he can show me different in 2013. Rams have some young linebackers on the roster...Hull, Justin Cole, Sammy Brown and don't forget Jabara Willaims who they signed late and for some reason I think is the next Isiah "Butch" Robertson.

Maybe Bush can get more out of this younger group, but I still believe a 4th round pick will be used on an OLB and that player will have an opportunity to start.
Hull is obviously doing something right though, yeah? He keeps sticking around, and that dude is a thumper. I would think that his lack of production is a product of his lack of playing time. If we release him, we'll need to consider the void left right in the middle of the field if Laurinaitis goes down. Maybe Te'o is the answer? He can play MLB and OLB (and has), and would be a good guy to have in the mix. And then [again HIGHLY UNLIKELY] if Laurinaitis gets injured, he can just slide right into that spot. In the meantime, keep him on the strong side and worst case scenario, he develops into our starting SAM for years.

biggame1190

Starter
Name
CB
And I bring this thread back one more time!

Seems like my man Spoon is expected to come back officially, soon enough.

Very happy about this, I was a worried of our LB depth but assuming the rumors are true, we got a guy who may not be the player he was with us in 2007, but still is a solid player who can play all 3 LB positions on run and passing downs if need be. I think he will really help Tree, I always though Tree was a similar player to Witherspoon in his prime, very fast, rangey, thinish/tall but solid frame, pass coverage asset. So I think Spoon will really help Tree in his game, not mention Spoon is another vet like JL55 who is a very good teammate on and off the field who always has a positive attitude.

Biggame Approve!

fearsomefour

Legend
This signing makes too much sense to not happen. Witherspoon is a pro and still has good speed for his age. He can add depth at both OLB spots. I would not be surprised if he started the season getting considerable time. There is no need to rush Ogletree with Witherspoon in the fold. I could see Ogletree getting a series or being used on certain downs then getting rotated out and coached up for a series. Or maybe you just let the big cat run.
As for Hull, I dont think we have seen enough real regular season game snaps to have an opinion. Hull may not be great in any facet of the game, but, he may be able to do what it is most important for a backup (esp when the starter is great), be solid in all phases. I doubt the coaching staff wants Hull starting 14 games for JL, but, they might be very comfortable with him replacing him for 3.
JL, Dunbar, Ogletree, Witherspoon, Hull....an interesting mix at LB.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
You guys who are saying the Spoon still has speed, where are you getting that perception from? How did PFF rate his performance last year? As depth he might be OK for a year but I really find it hard to believe that a 33 year old OLB will be much of an asset. Even as depth. But I'm not saying this from any inside or intimate knowledge of how he played last year. Anyone have said knowledge?

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Played for LB coach Frank Bush last season and also under Assistant Coach Dave McGinnis before that. Plus Witherspoon still resides in Missouri...Nothing to see here, this call was easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy!

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
Another benefit to this signing will be to let Ogletree know that nothing is GIVEN to anyone on this level. Never going to hurt to let a rookie feel some pressure from a vet.....kinda like the safety situation with McCleod and McDonald.