Will this team be GSOT 2.0?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
I know, I know. That's highly unlikely to happen, but here's my perspective:

- I'm not from St. Louis or L.A. but I started following the Rams in year one of the GSOT. I remember that year, the Rams got off to an exciting start and were piling up points to the surprise of many around the NFL. I remember watching highlights and loving the attacking style of play. I loved Kurt Warner's rags-to-riches story and decided I would be a Rams fan from then on.

-That team came out of nowhere. The Rams had losing seasons the previous nine years. But, they had a great offensive mind as OC and a veteran head coach who seemed to rally everyone together.

-That team had an offense that could beat you in many different ways. Obviously, you had several Hall of Fame level players in Pace, Faulk, Warner, Holt and Bruce. There weren't any weak spots to the offense.

Now let's look at THIS team:

- Nobody is giving the Rams a chance to do anything this year. They have been a mediocre or worse team since the end of the GSOT days. Their offense has been especially putrid.

- While Jared Goff isn't a no-name walk-on like Kurt Warner, he is essentially being written off as bust after half a season of uninspiring play on a terrible team within an even worse offensive system. He has a lot of talent and could take the NFL by surprise within this offense.

- The coaching staff is almost like a mirror image of the GSOT staff. Now, we have a young offensive genius running the team and a veteran DC with head coaching experience who has a reputation to rally the troops.

- While the offensive players don't have the pedigree of the core of the GSOT, they offer a very tantalizing mix of weapons. We finally have what seems to be a balanced and talented WR group with Watkins, Woods, Kupp, Austin, Reynolds, Cooper, etc. You could even make an argument that it has the potential to be deeper than the GSOT group when you add in the athleticism of Everett and Higbee as pass-catching TEs. GSOT didn't really have those kinds of threats.

-Gurley is no Marshall Faulk, but he is an extremely talented and well-rounded RB in his own right. Behind an improved offensive line and within a REAL offensive system tailored to get the most out of all of its weapons, he could put up an impressive season or at the very least bounce back to his rookie season production.

- I think the defense is a better unit than the GSOT team ever had. That team didn't have an Aaron Donald. This defense hasn't been the problem the last few years. With a better offense to give it more rest and Wade Phillips running the unit, the defense will continue to be a strength.

Maybe I'm drinking the Kool-Aid a little too much, but I am getting a good feeling about this team under coach McVey. I think this offense could be pretty special. The defense was already very good. The guys just have to put it all together on the field.

I haven't been this excited about the Rams since Week 5 of 1999 when I decided to become a fan.

Last edited:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

- I'm not from St. Louis or L.A. but I started following the Rams in year one of the GSOT. I remember that year, the Rams got off to an exciting start and were piling up points to the surprise of many around the NFL. I remember watching highlights and loving the attacking style of play. I loved Kurt Warner's rags-to-riches story and decided I would be a Rams fan from then on.

-That team came out of nowhere. The Rams had losing seasons the previous nine years. But, they had a great offensive mind as OC and a veteran head coach who seemed to rally everyone together.

-That team had an offense that could beat you in many different ways. Obviously, you had several Hall of Fame level players in Pace, Faulk, Warner, Holt and Bruce. There weren't any weak spots to the offense.

- Nobody is giving the Rams a chance to do anything this year. They have been a mediocre or worse team since the end of the GSOT days. Their offense has been especially putrid.

- While Jared Goff isn't a no-name wlak-on like Kurt Warner, he is essentially being written off as bust after half a season of uninspiring play on a terrible team within an even worse offensive system. He has a lot of talent and could take the NFL by surprise within this offense.

- The coaching staff is almost like a mirror image of the GSOT staff. Now, we have a young offensive genius running the team and a veteran DC with head coaching experience who has a reputation to rally the troops.

- While the offensive players don't have the pedigree of the core of the GSOT, they offer a very tantalizing mix of weapons. We finally have what seems to be a balanced and talented WR group with Watkins, Woods, Kupp, Austin, Reynolds, Cooper, etc. You could even make an argument that it has the potential to be deeper than the GSOT group when you add in the athleticism of Everett and Higbee as pass-catching TEs. GSOT didn't really have those kinds of threats.

-Gurley is no Marshall Faulk, but he is an extremely talented and well-rounded RB in his own right. Behind an improved offensive line and within a REAL offensive system tailored to get the most out of all of its weapons, he could put up an impressive season or at the very least bounce back to his rookie season production.

- I think the defense is a better unit than the GSOT team ever had. That team didn't have an Aaron Donald. This defense hasn't been the problem the last few years. With a better offense to give it more rest and Wade Phillips running the unit, the defense will continue to be a strength.

Maybe I'm drinking the Kool-Aid a little too much, but I am getting a good feeling about this team under coach McVey. I think this offense could be pretty special. The defense was already very good. The guys just have to put it all together on the field.

I haven't been this excited about the Rams since Week 5 of 1999 when I decided to become a fan.

I am stoked about Goff's maturation as well, but Kurt was close to a finished product when he took over from Green..Played at a high level in the AFL and led NFL Europe in passing while there. He was voted Training Camp player of the year in 1998, and Vermeil was impressed with him. But even Vermeil didn't know for sure he would do in LIVE games. Goff has a history of rising from the ashes in college, and now he appears to be doing that in a similar fashion in the NFL. Much to be excited about, for sure.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I understand trying to find parallels but this team is a different team altogether. I think right now I would just settle for a league average offense that can grow to be one of the better offenses in the league. The GSOT offense was and is historic that offense completely changed the game.

We have some exciting players on offense for the first time since SJax retired I'm excited to watch the offense more then the defense. So at the very least this offense should be exciting and that's definitely an upgrade

RamWoodie

Legend
Geeze...this should be labeled a "Reach Thread"!

I've seen absolutely NOTHING to even imagine this team coming close to the GSOT teams. :eek:

Big Game

Living The Dream
I'm from St Louis, and i will say this. If this 2017 Rams team can come anywhere close to what I saw first hand down at the old Edward Jones Dome aka "The TWA Dome". Then guys get ready for a magical and fun season. Right now i just want a winning season. But if after maybe 6 or so games it starts feeling like 1999. Well like that Prince song all Rams fans will be "partying" So drink the kool aid and buckle up for a good season fellas

th

th

th

th

th

th

th

th

th

th

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Let's pull back a bit and just go for competent NFL offense. I'll admit that I have dreams and hopes and I sometimes let both run away with me - but let's crawl before we walk and walk before we run.

I do think this Watkins trade was a big deal and affects this offense all over the field. I think McV is proving himself worthy of the job so far - his Xs and Os haven't disappointed in the slightest. I think Kupp looks like the real deal. I think Gurly is going to have twice the room to run this year. And who knows what TA will bring to this offense?

This is an exciting team right now - Jared Goff has a lot to work with. We will still only be as good as he turns out to be - but that future looks pretty promising.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

- While Jared Goff isn't a no-name walk-on like Kurt Warner, he is essentially being written off as bust after half a season of uninspiring play on a terrible team within an even worse offensive system. He has a lot of talent and could take the NFL by surprise within this offense.

I'm sure it won't be like the GSOT, But maybe more like the 1980 Team (SB XIV!) with players like:
* QB- Vince Ferragamo
* An O-Line of France-Hill-Saul-Doug Smith-Slater
*With RB- Cullen Bryant
* WR- Preston Dennard
* D-Lineman Like Youngblood-Brooks and Dryer
* MLB Hacksaw Reynolds
* DB's Like Rod Perry-Elmendorf and Cromwell
* and a KR man like Drew Hill
Just to name a few!! This type of team is what I think we may have this year!!(y);):D The Teams are a lot alike! JMHO

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
We must learn to crawl.....before we can run w/ these horses. And while there is a few obscure parallels....... it's a horrible reach. We have nothing to compare to Faulk or Bruce. And barely scratch the surface at the Holt and Hakim positions.
Now don't get me wrong....we have potential and I like what I've seen out of McVay so far.........but you are talking about the top of the mountain, not a few foothills. Like CGI likes to state...... Can't get too high w/ a win....or too low w/ a loss.... let's see what there is before we try to christen the next great offense.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
Most offensive juggernauts don't happen overnight. The 99 Rams were definitely the exception to that rule.

If this team is going to become an offense with record breaking potential it would likely be from a string of years making great draft picks and personnel choices. We could easily look back on the Goff pick similarly to the Colts suffering through Peyton Manning's challenging first season. Adding Sammy Watkins could be a Marshall Faulk type of addition. The offensive line still needs a long term solution at left tackle. McVay may be just as bright as Mike Martz.

As you have mentioned, there are plenty of exciting pieces in place. I just think they need another year or two of world class decisions to make the kind of leap we are hoping for.

Ram65

Legend
No.

GSOT was set up over 2/3 years and culminated with the Warner, Faulk, Holt and Martz additions. The Rams added a lot of really good players all at once this year. The 'We' Rams have McVay another yet, different offensive minded coach that can change things in a hurry as Mike Martz did. I doubt Goff comes anywhere close to what Warner did but, he is on the rise. The GSOT team was very special with Bruce, Holt and Faulk playing duel roll of running back and pass catcher. The "We" Rams can make a big change in one year but, they will not be the next GSOT Rams team this year.

Last edited:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
We must learn to crawl.....before we can run w/ these horses. And while there is a few obscure parallels....... it's a horrible reach. We have nothing to compare to Faulk or Bruce. And barely scratch the surface at the Holt and Hakim positions.
Now don't get me wrong....we have potential and I like what I've seen out of McVay so far.........but you are talking about the top of the mountain, not a few foothills. Like CGI likes to state...... Can't get too high w/ a win....or too low w/ a loss.... let's see what there is before we try to christen the next great offense.
But I have heard of Babies that never crawled, just got up and walked!(y):D

FRO

Legend
I know last preseason game gave great hope for the offense. There is a chance they'll be that good. The 2011 Rams preseason offense with Kendricks in particular gives me pause when evaluating in preseason. Preseason defenses tend to be basic and zero game planning goes into it. That being said if the line solidifies and if Goff plays to his draft status, then this will be a very potent offense. For the first time in a long time I like the receiving corps. Despite a down year last year I have great faith in Gurley. The HC is a respected offensive mind. The pieces are there.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
My hope is 15th in scoring offense, with a top 10 scoring defense. If they meet those metrics we have a playoff team IMO.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I'm sorry, but nobody can ever be GSOT again. That label should only be the 1999-2003 Rams. Same with the Fearsome Foursome.

No, this is a different squad than the others. True, it's deeper and better than I've seen in years, and I'm excited to see what it can do. But no team - Rams or others - deserve the label of GSOT 2.0. To do that is to disrespect the original GSOT.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I feel I should clarify here. I don't believe the 2017 Rams will be as good as the GSOT.

Obviously, the GSOT was a record-breaking unit that included several Hall of Fame players.

I just think that there are some similarities in how the offense is constrcted and this group appears to have a multitude of diverse weapons to work with.

The post was more about how I am getting a similar feeling to what I experienced when I first became a fan of the Rams in 1999. Granted, there is quite a bit of Kool-Aid drinking going since we're only in pre-season, but I am very optimistic about the offense.

Maybe I should have said GSOT Light or something :LOL:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I'll settle for a Competent Show on Grass.
There will never.

Ever.

Be another GSOT. And anyone who cops that name to describe their own offense is a thief.