Will the Rams get Darrell Henderson more active in passing game?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder
Will the Rams get Darrell Henderson more active in passing game?

The LA Rams need to create more mismatches on offense. While the offense is working on the receiver configuration, the team has many options to create more opportunities on offense. The LA Rams need to rethink the offense in 2020. The team learned in 2019 that sometimes the team needed to sacrifice receivers on the offensive line to shore up the blocking. Fewer big plays, but more dependable results.

Now, the team must flip the offense and look at it from the other direction. Where are the team’s hidden talents? Where can the team harness skills for more production on the field? Speed, power, elusiveness are all resume cliches for a player on a football team until that football gets into that player’s hands. Then? It’s yards gained. Production. Moving the chains. So how can the Rams get the ball into the hands of a player who has speed, power, and elusiveness?

Positive possibilities

There are several options available to Rams head coach Sean McVay. Of course, chasing him down on a football field is not something we recommend. But it does trigger the concept we want to discuss. Getting the ball to Henderson as a route runner in the passing game has a myriad of positive possibilities.

View: https://twitter.com/nflfilms/status/1295916696318992385?s=21

One option is to find new ways to harness the raw energy of second-year running back Darrell Henderson. After his almost token rookie season, the Rams know almost as little about his potential this year as last season. That needs to change. And so far in training camp, it may be changing for the better.

Rams Rusher receiver combination

The New Orleans Saints have had great success over many years by featuring at least one running back as a primary receiver weapon. Other successful teams have incorporated successfully into their offensive scheme in the past as well. That wasn’t really an option because the LA Rams had “He-does-it-all” with running back Todd Gurley. But Gurley’s gone, and the Rams will be rethinking how to make use of talent in the running back room.

Enter Darrell Henderson. He is that promising rookie running back who was intended to be the change-of-pace back of the Rams 2019 offense. But Gurley never really got on track, which meant that the Rams never truly to shift to another running track. By the end of the season, the Rams handed the ball to Henderson 39 times and threw his way six times. No touchdowns. No hoopla. No impact. No reason to look forward to 2020.

Reset and run it again

The Rams changed things up in 2020. The team was so successful with Todd Gurley, that the team fell into the rut of just handing the ball to Gurley and watching him do his thing. In 2020, the coaching staff will need to have a better plan.

Henderson is a 5-foot-9 200-pound offensive weapon who pulled in 63 passes in college for 758 yards and eight touchdowns. The Rams need more of receiver Henderson in their offense this year. Could the Rams be working on that?

View: https://twitter.com/ramsnfl/status/1295463639625809920?s=21

Henderson could be used with deadly effectiveness as a receiver in 2020. Imagine the LA Rams lining up with two tight ends, two wide receivers, and Henderson in a slot. Who defends Henderson? Linebackers and safeties are too slow. If the defense uses a slot CB, that opens up a tight end with linebacker coverage if the defense loads up on defensive backs, place Henderson in motion and either handoff or pitch out for a perimeter run.

The Rams can dictate from their offense where they create mismatches. Hopefully, Henderson is part of their offensive playbook in 2020. Not just as a rusher, but as a target in the passing game as well. He has the jets. It’s time for the Rams to turn them on.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Henderson’s fumble against the 49’ers cost the team a crucial game and Henderson, the coaches’ trust for an entire season. When given space, DH proved to be elusive and dynamic. He is what McVay wanted when they acquired Lance Dunbar from the Cowboys. Sean has even said so. Unfortunately, Dunbar couldn’t stay healthy and the ‘19 Rams had too many issues to afford the rookie additional reps. The overall poor run blocking would never afford DH the opportunity to be productive so they went with the safer vets.

While I don’t expect him to see even 20% usage of DH on a snap count basis, I do agree he will play an important role in games where teams sell out too much on their rushes (which makes him a great counter on short routes) and also times when defenses play nickel and dime packages and we need someone who can win in space from the backfield. Let’s face it...he’s not Alvin Kamara or Darren Sproles, but he could very well be the Rams’ version of James White or Tevin Coleman (circa 2016 Falcons).

Ram65

Legend
I was surprised McVay didn't give him the ball after the muffed pitch play against the Whiners. He made a rookie mistake but, was a real spark in that game. Rams couldn't cash in from the one on third and fourth downs late in the first half. Outside of the first impressive TD drive and DH they didn't do much offensively.

I was also surprised McVay didn't get DH the ball in the passing game. He did line him up on the outside in at least one game. Henderson has maybe the fasted 10 yard split in the NFL. Get him the ball with a little space and he is gone. I think McVay will get him the ball but, Akers will be the bell cow RB. I guess 16-18 touches for Akers and 6-8 touches for Henderson. Malcolm Brown and the WRs get a 2-4 a game. I'm hoping McVay gets Akers and Henderson 5-6 completions a game out of those touches.

McVay has a lot of weapons to go to. I'm looking forward to seeing what he has schemed up this year. He has to get the ball in Henderson's hands more this year as he is so explosive. It would be smart to build up his confidence and have two explosive backs available should one get hurt. He can keep the wear and tear down on Akers.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I was also surprised McVay didn't get DH the ball in the passing game. He did line him up on the outside in at least one game. Henderson has maybe the fasted 10 yard split in the NFL. Get him the ball with a little space and he is gone. I think McVay will get him the ball but, Akers will be the bell cow RB. I guess 16-18 touches for Akers and 6-8 touches for Henderson. Malcolm Brown and the WRs get a 2-4 a game. I'm hoping McVay gets Akers and Henderson 5-6 completions a game out of those touches.
Yeah if you go back and watch Hendy's snaps he did a good job with what he was given. There were a couple where he beat a rusher in the backfield and made a positive gainer out of it.

IMO the issue is who can eat carries, and the pass blocking. Even though Hendy looked pretty good he reportedly struggled to pick up the scheme and as a result they don't have a feel for him getting carries and how it would work out, whether he can sustain and stay healthy, etc. There just weren't a lot of snaps of him pass blocking either which probably means the staff weren't confident in his ability there.

So I agree with you that they drafted Akers to be that bell cow. I just hope he picks the scheme up quickly, it's a tough season for rooks. And Hendy is there as a potential starter too, he's got something to say about that not to mention a big head start on the scheme. So I wouldn't be surprised if Hendy won the starting job coming out of camp and Akers gets a little time to get fully online with all his responsibilities. Either way I do like this backfield right now. The talent is there.

Ram65

Legend
Video in the link too with a little different narration. Mentioned DH's red zone read and reaction TDs.

Rams training camp, Day 2: RB Darrell Henderson flashes

Rams RB Darrell Henderson flashes
Memphis product making strides in second season.

Eric D. Williams

Aug 19, 2020
https%3A%2F%2Fmaven.io%2Fapi%2Fuser%2FTPP6sqikME-iZuDMjeQAwg%2Fphoto%3Fversion%3D0

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- A recap of Wednesday’s practice at Rams training camp:
PLAYER OF THE DAY

Now in his second season, Memphis product Darrell Henderson JR. did not get a chance to really show what he could do last season due to a high ankle sprain that required surgery, cutting short his rookie year.

Henderson finished with 147 rushing yards in 13 games.

Now healthy, Henderson flashed that trademark speed and explosive burst through the hole that made him a third-round selection by the Rams last season.
Henderson, who turned 23 years old on Wednesday, did nice job of running and catching the football as he competes for time at running back with rookie Cam Akers and veteran Malcolm Brown.

Henderson’s improvement did not go unnoticed by Sean McVay, as the Rams head coach looks for more playmakers to contribute on offense. Henderson saw snaps with the first and second group.

“He’s done a nice job,” McVay said. “Darrell’s a guy who last year had some unfortunate injuries that led to not maybe getting as much work as we thought he was going to get. But he did flash some things that got us so excited about taking him out of Memphis.

“He’s taking a big step in the right direction. He’s showing big-picture understanding of everything in all phases – pass game, run game and protection. I continue to go back to (running back coach) Thomas Brown’s influence on that room as a whole; it’s definitely showing.”

PLAY OF THE DAY
Pretty easy call here, as cornerback Jalen Ramsey flattened Cam Akers on an outside run near the sideline, with the rookie running back landing on his back.
According to defensive lineman Aaron Donald, the two have been jawing at each other, on and off the field. The physical hit by Ramsey was a not-so-subtle reminder of what Florida State product is the boss -- for now.
“He (Akers) tried to lower his shoulder on Ramsey yesterday, and he came back and tried to do it again, and Ramsey put him down,” Donald said. “So, that’s good competition. That’s the kind of stuff you love. We’re still trying to protect each other, but at the end of the day it’s football, and the main goal is to play at a high level.”
McVay said those big hits get the rest of the team going.

“Jalen cares a lot about Cam, and he’s welcoming him to the NFL, if you will,” McVay said. “I think it was good, physical, smart, real play. We like those. We just don’t want to take those shots from the side.”
However, McVay was not so excited when backup quarterback John Wolford lowered his shoulder pads on an outside run near the goal line on defensive back Dont’e Deayon, who pulled up because defenders are taught to avoid hitting the quarterback, designated by wearing a red jersey.

“We don’t do that,” McVay said. “I know it was with the best intentions, but I told John that’s a really bad place to put a DB when you can’t hit the quarterbacks. You get excited as a competitor around some of those red zone situations, but we’ll be smart. We’re not going to ever lower our shoulder pads on a defender when we have a red jersey on.”
MATCHUP OF THE DAY
Defensive back Troy Hill made a nifty play on the ball against Cooper Kupp near the goal line on a slant route, knocking the ball away.
Hill’s currently serving as the slot defender with the first group, but also has shown the ability to play outside corner. At 5-11 and 183 pounds, Hill is quick, appears to anticipate well and has good ball skills.
ROLL CALL
McVay ended practice about 20 minutes early, saying the players earned a break. The Rams will take Thursday off and return to practice on Friday.
According to McVay, there’s still no word on when safety Taylor Rapp will potentially return from a knee issue. McVay said the injury likely will keep him out until next week.
McVay also announced the Rams will hold scrimmages on Aug. 22 and Aug. 29 at SoFi Stadium to get used to their surroundings for game days.
YOU DON’T SAY
“I ran in there and just tried to do my best to keep things at peace. Most of the time when guys get mad at each other like that, they realize about three minutes later, that’s why you don’t fight at practice – because you’re exhausted the rest of the day. So you usually regret it.” – Andrew Whitworth on the minor tussle between an offensive lineman and defensive lineman that he stepped in to break up by bear hugging his fellow offensive lineman.

Ram65

Legend
So I agree with you that they drafted Akers to be that bell cow. I just hope he picks the scheme up quickly, it's a tough season for rooks. And Hendy is there as a potential starter too, he's got something to say about that not to mention a big head start on the scheme. So I wouldn't be surprised if Hendy won the starting job coming out of camp and Akers gets a little time to get fully online with all his responsibilities. Either way I do like this backfield right now. The talent is there.

You could be right big props to Henderson from McVay including protection in the article above.protection

I'm very happy Henderson is moving forward. The thing about Akers is he was a QB in high school and IIRC according to D Farr he thinks he can pick up the scheme and protections quickly. If Henderson gets the start and more PT that's fine. I also like the backfield right now.