Will the Number 3 QB For Training Camp Please Stand Up?/Dylan Thompson

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Okay one can surmise that the Los Angeles will add another signal caller before Training Camp starts, hell, they will add a camp leg too, but who wants to write about that? Anyway the Rams had three Quarterbacks try out at the rookie minicamp and none of them might be signed because a team could release a Quarterback the Rams could be interested to give a look to like the Colts releasing Center Austin Blythe for example, but let’s take a look at Matt Davis of SMU and Bryan Scott of Division III Occidental College as I for one hope the Dylan Thompson shipped has sailed.

Matt Davis from the highlights seem to get a majority of the snaps and does offer a different dimension at the Quarterback Position. He can run and did that more often in college than pass for the most part. He will never be confused with Bobby Douglas as Davis is just under 6-1 and 194 pounds so size and the ability to run a pro-style offense will come into question, however, he ran for 761 yards in 2015 and 10 touchdowns and I can’t remember a Ram signal caller having the ability to run since James Harris and please to don’t respond to this about T.J. Rubley.

Also let’s keep in mind that the camp arm will most likely be added to the practice squad and Davis would be a good candidate to get the Rams ready for a Dak Prescott or a Russel Wilson for example with his elusiveness and similar size as well again something the Rams don’t have in Jared Goff and Sean Mannion.

Now the kid I am rooting for most is Bryan Scott because of his arm and background being that I played Division III football too, plus his size reminds of Kurt Warner. Scott is 6’2 220lbs and Warner was too. Scott has a big time arm and was invited at USC pro day as they did not have a Quarterback and had many receivers. Scott tossed 65 passes that day all were caught with the exception of two, one dropped and the other because the receiver ran the wrong route.

Scott not as elusive as Davis, but does offer the ability to stand strong in the pocket and was compared to Big Ben for the fact that unlike Lindsay Lohan, Scott does not go down easy. Scott also came from more conventional pro style attack so taking snaps under center should not be an issue as we did see Goff have to get acclimated to that style last season.

Overall it might be totally somebody else and if it comes down to Davis & Scott most likely Davis because offering a total different style and coming from a better program, but Scott has big hands and a big arm and at the USC Pro Day did not seem like the stage was too big form him so we shall see in the coming weeks who will be the camp arm in training camp and who knows???? They might sign both.

collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com_files_2015_07_SMU%2BUConn%2BFootball_41119749_141471.jpg

5c0RrFx1.jpg

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
McVay has said at some point they will probably need to bring in a 3rd QB. But the Big question is when!? I'm sure they want to get Goff and Mannion both as many snaps as possible. But when do they move on a 3rd QB? Later in OTA's, Training Camp? Pre-Season? When will be the appropriate time!!?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Stand up? I just got comfortable in my recliner!! So demanding for a Sunday on a 3 day weekend.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
I am hoping to see more of Bryan Scott myself. Impressed with his arm strength, he may well be a good camp arm, but I rather stash him because we can use him if needed.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I am hoping to see more of Bryan Scott myself. Impressed with his arm strength, he may well be a good camp arm, but I rather stash him because we can use him if needed.

I concur with your assessment...Liked what I have read and large hands combined with a big time arm too. Perfect guy to develop, but again I can understand why they would sign a guy like Matt Davis to practice against, but you could have another guy on the roster that could play that role in practice.

Zero

Pro Bowler
I'm sure they want to get Goff and Mannion both as many snaps as possible.
This is so important for Goff.
Last year his reps were minimal to say the least.
You cant get good at something by reading books about it.JMO.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
When was the last time a DIII qb made an NFL roster?
They'll sign some one for tc and I wouldn't be surprised if it's someone with NFL experience. Need a 3D qb to throw to the 11 wr in camp. Maybe a mettenberger type

Memphis Ram

Legend
IMO, they should have had a 3rd QB in already and be looking for a 4th camp arm. That is, unless they have a player in mind who already knows the offense in case one of the top two go down.

Ram65

Legend
Now the kid I am rooting for most is Bryan Scott because of his arm and background being that I played Division III football too, plus his size reminds of Kurt Warner. Scott is 6’2 220lbs and Warner was too. Scott has a big time arm and was invited at USC pro day as they did not have a Quarterback and had many receivers. Scott tossed 65 passes that day all were caught with the exception of two, one dropped and the other because the receiver ran the wrong route.

I read the USC pro day story. The stage wasn't too big for him. USC players praised him and he had a great day throwing. Strong arm with a nice touch. Hard not to root for local kid.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I read the USC pro day story. The stage wasn't too big for him. USC players praised him and he had a great day throwing. Strong arm with a nice touch. Hard not to root for local kid.

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe

I just can't get over the fact that it's OXY! OCCI-FREAKING-DENTAL.

I had a fiance that went to Occidental, they used to be one of the biggest female schools, known for their science programs.

I like the McSnead regimes logic, "Leave no stone unturned"

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
IMO, they should have had a 3rd QB in already and be looking for a 4th camp arm. That is, unless they have a player in mind who already knows the offense in case one of the top two go down.

Not so sure, during OTA's I feel they wanted Goff & Mannion to get every rep, however, once training camp opens that is when you are going to need extra QB's for the drills same with a camp leg too. Like I posted they might just bring back both Davis & Scott if they are going with four, but in OTA's they wanted to get a look the at WR's catching the balls from the top two guys.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I like the McSnead regimes logic, "Leave no stone unturned"

IMO, that has always been Snead's strength, he has uncovered a few gems over the years like McCleod & Hekker for example, where the area of opportunity lied is in top selections and pro player personnel (free agent signings). Let's hope this is where McVay balances Snead as Whitworth & Woods will be the barometer moving forward.