Will Steven Jackson be a Ram next season?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

paceram

Pro Bowler
I was just very curious of the move by the Rams to let Steven Jackson become a UFA after this season when apparently they had the option of keeping him one more season (through 2013). Is this just a nice gesture (show of appreciation) move to Jackson for being a great team player for the Rams and suffering through all those poor seasons with a pretty bad OL or is there more to it? I can't really see any reason to make this move this early other than to do it for Jackson. Even though it is pretty doubtful the Rams would want to pay him the supposedly $7 million salary if they keep him why make that decision now (what if he ends up having a great season or if they don't find a suitable replacement for him at RB?). Personally, I hope Steven Jackson remains a Ram but I seriously doubt the Rams pay him the $7 million to stay (hopefullly, the Rams and Jackson can come to an agreeable compromise!)!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I still think this is something they're doing FOR Jackson. He had a clause in his original contract prior to the renegotiation in September that required him to get 1,200 rushing yards and 400 receiving yards (each year) from 2008-2011 and he could then void the final year. He didn't get those numbers, but they're letting him void it now anyway. I see no upside to the Rams deciding to grant him an opt-out of their own volition, and that's why I think they're doing it FOR him and not so much TO him.

Also think that money is indeed a factor. They might like what they see in Richardson (a lot), and feel that 7th round money is more tolerable than 7 million. It's a business. That's what I have to keep telling myself. It's a business. And as much as I think they love Bradford, and think he's the future, part of me thinks that this regime is very cognizant of the money he makes too. He'll have to have a pretty good year and not regress at all for them to keep accelerating his money over the next few years. That said, QB is a high priority, high priced position in this league. Kevin Kolb signed a 6 year $65M contract and he had proven nothing prior to inking that deal.

Sorry to go off track with your thread there. I was just going with a train of thought.

paceram

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
X - I totally agree with you about both Steven Jackson and Sam Bradford! While I personally hope that Jackson and Bradford both have great seasons and remain Rams for as long as possible I do understand that this is a business and the Rams have to make tough finacial decisions just like all businesses!

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
If he'll carry the ball in his left hand running left and throw the kind of stiff arms he threw last nght when he ran right,OH HELL YES,the Rams will renegotiate a three year deal before the end of the season that guarantees $7 so if he gets hurt they can spread the impact.

JMO but the move was made to AVOID the same thing INDY HAD to do with Manning.
Unless I miss, SJ retires his number and himself the same day. I think everyone wants it that way.
Imagine what he could still be if he would only listen to the voice of Odin :razzed:

PhxRam

Doesnt really sound like a guy going anywhere.

(On his contract situation)
“It’s a part of the business. I’ve said that from the beginning that, even in 2004, I wanted to retire here. This organization gave me the opportunity to live out a dream. In 2008 they extended me and at the end of the season we’ll see what happens with me. But something is happening here and I want to be a part of it.”

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
PhxRam said:
Doesnt really sound like a guy going anywhere.

(On his contract situation)
“It’s a part of the business. I’ve said that from the beginning that, even in 2004, I wanted to retire here. This organization gave me the opportunity to live out a dream. In 2008 they extended me and at the end of the season we’ll see what happens with me. But something is happening here and I want to be a part of it.”
Hope not. It's like having an extra coach on the field who can carry 5 defenders for 5 yards.

And hey ... he negotiated the original contract to have an opt-out, so he's only getting what he wanted. I don't see any reason why he and the Rams can't come to some sort of arrangement that keeps him here until he gets his 10,000 yards and a Lombardi. One more year oughta do it.

rickrawk

Starter
Name
Rick
Business Schmisiness!!
As abysmal as the Rams have been the last 5 or 6 years, can you imagine what they would have been like w/o Steven Jackson?
I've been a Rams fan pretty much my whole life (I'll be 60 tomorrow), and I've seen all of the Ram greats.Now I'm not saying SJ is the greatest Ram of all time,but he has become my favorite.
I can't see him going anywhere. He will finish his career here, and then on to the HOF!!

GO RAMS!!!!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
rickrawk said:
Business Schmisiness!!
As abysmal as the Rams have been the last 5 or 6 years, can you imagine what they would have been like w/o Steven Jackson?
I've been a Rams fan pretty much my whole life (I'll be 60 tomorrow), and I've seen all of the Ram greats.Now I'm not saying SJ is the greatest Ram of all time,but he has become my favorite.
I can't see him going anywhere. He will finish his career here, and then on to the HOF!!

GO RAMS!!!!
Cool. Happy Birthday, Methuselah. :p

I actually celebrated mine 3 days ago, but you have 14 years on me.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
rickrawk said:
Business Schmisiness!!

GO RAMS!!!!

Hope you're right and Happy Birthday man.

paceram

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Happy Birthday guys!!! I actually thought I was the OLD guy on the Board but now I am feeling pretty young (I am ONLY 56!)!

rickrawk

Starter
Name
Rick
X said:
rickrawk said:
Business Schmisiness!!

GO RAMS!!!!
Cool. Happy Birthday, Methuselah. :p

I actually celebrated mine 3 days ago, but you have 14 years on me.
Fuck you, Bitch!!
I mean Thanks guys!!
60 is the new 18!

GO RAMS!!!!

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
paceram said:
Happy Birthday guys!!! I actually thought I was the OLD guy on the Board but now I am feeling pretty young (I am ONLY 56!)!

Only?! I turned twenty-one less than six months ago...