Will St. Louis Keep Rams? Part 1: Kroenke (101 ESPN)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ShaneG

Starter
By Shane Gray

20 years ago, a relatively unknown man from tiny Mora, Missouri by the name of Enos Stanley Kroenke — named in part after late St. Louis Cardinals treasure Stan Musial —became the lead investor for expansion efforts that would have returned NFL football to the Gateway City after the Big Red moved West to Arizona in 1988.

Kroenke — after failing to land the St. Louis Stallions via expansion — turned his attention to the Los Angeles Rams. Once again, he operated with one underlying objective in mind: to return pro football to St. Louis, only agreeing to purchase a minority interest in the franchise based upon the explicit precondition that the organization move to Missouri.

Today, we will look at the Rams future from the perspective of Kroenke’s background.

Kroenke’s Track Record

<a class="postlink" href="http://101sports.com/category/misc-blogs/20130128/Will-St.-Louis-Keep-Rams/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://101sports.com/category/misc-blog ... Keep-Rams/</a>

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Wow, that's good stuff right there. VERY well researched and conveyed.

I have no horse in this race, so I really don't care about that whole saga. But, if I were invested in the outcome, that would either make me very nervous (as a Pro-LA guy), or very encouraged (as a Pro-STL guy). Good job, brudda. Can't wait to read the next installment.

ShaneG

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
X said:
Wow, that's good stuff right there. VERY well researched and conveyed.

I have no horse in this race, so I really don't care about that whole saga. But, if I were invested in the outcome, that would either make me very nervous (as a Pro-LA guy), or very encouraged (as a Pro-STL guy). Good job, brudda. Can't wait to read the next installment.

Thanks, X! Only about half of that piece posted, though. Trying to fix that. Frustrating.

FULL PIECE now up with SIX additional sections.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Great job man.

As a former LA resident, many on here know how I felt about the move out of LA. I just didn't understand all the people wanting Stan to step aside and let Kahn buy the team. Does anyone in MO really think they had a better chance keeping the Rams in St Louis if Stan had done that? What allegiance did Kahn ever have to your state? Apparently no more than Jacksonville. Think it is maybe just a touch more likely the Jags now head west?

Like many on here, I really don't have a dog in the fight. If you look at it from a neutral position, you have to think the Rams are staying put. Now just show your support Missouri and make it a moot point.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Enjoyed the piece and looking forward to part 2...Enos Stanley "Stan" Kroenke was named after Enos Slaughter & Stan "The Man" Musial. I also have no dog in this hunt, but I never thought Mr. Kroenke would ever relocate his Rams after spending so much money to move them to the Gateway City.

If you build it, they will come. Kroenke's legacy will be a Retractable Dome surrounded by something similar that Robert Kraft has built as the esteemed Mr. Gray illustrated, but on a larger scale. Hotels will have to be added as well if the Gateway City ever wants to host a Super Bowl.

When it is done it will something Ram fans never had and I for one will look forward to celebrating such a venue with all my Ram brothers & sisters.

ShaneG

Starter
den-the-coach said:
Enjoyed the piece and looking forward to part 2...Enos Stanley "Stan" Kroenke was named after Enos Slaughter & Stan "The Man" Musial. I also have no dog in this hunt, but I never thought Mr. Kroenke would ever relocate his Rams after spending so much money to move them to the Gateway City.

If you build it, they will come. Kroenke's legacy will be a Retractable Dome surrounded by something similar that Robert Kraft has built as the esteemed Mr. Gray illustrated, but on a larger scale. Hotels will have to be added as well if the Gateway City ever wants to host a Super Bowl.

When it is done it will something Ram fans never had and I for one will look forward to celebrating such a venue with all my Ram brothers & sisters.

Thanks for the great comments (you and everyone)... full piece with SIX other sections is now up.

lasvegasrams

Rookie
I am also a former LA resident, and now that I reside elsewhere, I just want the Rams to have passionate fans and not fair weather fans in their city. St Louis is great and passionate about the Cardinals and showed tons of support when the rams had the 99-05 era. LA fans can be great and passionate as well, but whichever city has the team, we CANNOT have steeler fans, raider fans, cowboy fans, etc be loud on our turf!! i saw that too much this season

Speeps

Starter
That is a well written, well thought-out, and well researched article. This article makes so much sense as to what Kroenke may be doing and planning. It's almost a foregone conclusion that the Rams will stay, however, Kroenke seems to have bigger plans that just a new stadium.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Actually guys we ALL have a dog in the fight, a relocation would set the team back two years.
We will win sooner if they stay in St.L.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Thordaddy said:
Actually guys we ALL have a dog in the fight, a relocation would set the team back two years.
We will win sooner if they stay in St.L.

Sorry Thor. If you are trying to appeal to us old time fans that have been die hards since before the move (in my case WAY before the move), two years means literally nothing to us - speaking for myself and many others I have spoken to. I know a lot of people who would love nothing better than to cheer for the LA Rams. And I can fully understand that.

What I (personally) think people should take from Shane's article is that you couldn't hope for a better situation than to be owned by a life long Missourian who has done nothing BUT deserve your respect and deferrence on the issue. Show him the love - you'll probably keep him.

nighttrain

Legend
my belief, and i grew up in LA, is the Rams stay in the ST Louis area, maybe not the dome, but close
train

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm fine either way, but, being an L.A. guy, as a business venture, looking at the Laker's owners recently getting a 3 BILLION dollar T.V. contract, how do you not move them? This is like passing up on the biggest future money making venture available in all of sports. A once in a lifetime venture and already a huge Rams fan base in place in one of the richest parts of the nation. The potential upside is so much greater in Los Angeles, especially with the economic recovery and Real Estate rebound it's an absolute no brainer. Would you keep a broadway show in Branson or take it to Broadway at the Panteges Theatre in L.A. if you get greater exposure and revenue? I don't get it. St. Louis is a wonderful place i'm sure, but there is a sleeping giant in L.A. ready to expode with football revenue if Stan wants it. Maybe it isn't all about money with him and St. Louis is where they will be forever. That's fine too. I'm with the Rams no matter where they are.

ShaneG

Starter
RamsSince1969 said:
I'm fine either way, but, being an L.A. guy, as a business venture, looking at the Laker's owners recently getting a 3 BILLION dollar T.V. contract, how do you not move them? This is like passing up on the biggest future money making venture available in all of sports. A once in a lifetime venture and already a huge Rams fan base in place in one of the richest parts of the nation. The potential upside is so much greater in Los Angeles, especially with the economic recovery and Real Estate rebound it's an absolute no brainer. Would you keep a broadway show in Branson or take it to Broadway at the Panteges Theatre in L.A. if you get greater exposure and revenue? I don't get it. St. Louis is a wonderful place i'm sure, but there is a sleeping giant in L.A. ready to expode with football revenue if Stan wants it. Maybe it isn't all about money with him and St. Louis is where they will be forever. That's fine too. I'm with the Rams no matter where they are.

Good points my friend, but there are no separate TV deals in the NFL and the vast majority of NFL revenue is equally shared. Much different model as compared to other sports leagues.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I've been saying some of that stuff since SK bought the rest of the team. He likes venue ownership. There is SERIOUS money in it and he is going to own the venue the Rams play in. He owns several sports teams and they ALL play in a venue that he owns except the Rams. And those venues make him money all year long.....he isn't going to give up part of a team and not own a venue to move to LA to inflate the value of something he is NEVER going to sell. The money is in the TV cash and the beer sales and renting to events all year round. Not what Forbes says your team that you aren't selling is worth.