Will Rd 2 really tell us what McVay/Snead think about our roster?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ants

Starter
Ok, so I'm assuming that most teams draft BPA within a position of need (maybe a bad assumption).

I see on sports shows when they have the crawl at the bottom of the screen showing team needs that the Rams need DL, LB, and CB.
...and many forum members think OL, RB, WR, LB.

So depending on what happens in the 2nd round tonight (and to a lesser extent the 3rd round), do you think it tells us what MCVAY AND SNEAD think are the Rams biggest needs?
...sure, there's a theory that says the Rams go OL late because they "know" that they can find adequate talent there. I'm not buying that, but what do I know.

My purpose of asking this is an attempt to differentiate how WE see the team and how THE TEAM sees the team.
...or maybe we're all on the same page?

...or maybe they truly take the BPA?

...or maybe the many trade ups and trade backs of the past few years really means they target certain guys and move up...or value a BUNCH of guys equally and move back.

Whatcha got? :unsure:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I don't think what we pick in say round 2 means it was the biggest need. Need factors in but good teams play the strengths of each draft to get the best haul.

Also they might not be able to get the players they want at one or two different positions and we'll never know who those were. And it's not like either Snead or McVay tell us a damn thing lol. Snead probably gives the most but he's careful, with McVay it's all BS he's very disciplined in saying the right thing.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
Here's what NFL.com thinks of us
Screen Shot 2020-04-24 at 5.48.53 PM.png

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
We have several young offensive linemen who are underway in the development process. If they pick one in the 2nd round they would have to start the development process with him from scratch. Which would tell me they don't have enough confidence in the current young group. If they don't pick any OL on day 2, I would think they are comfortable with what they have and how far they've come.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
I think astute fans see the starters about the same way as the team does. We watch them play, we see what the players do well and what they struggle with. I think the team knows the bench players, the rookies and the practice squad guys much better than we do as fans. Speaking for myself, I don’t know who’s on the practice squad most of the time, and I don’t know how good or bad Nick Scott looks in practice.

Ants

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think astute fans see the starters about the same way as the team does. We watch them play, we see what the players do well and what they struggle with. I think the team knows the bench players, the rookies and the practice squad guys much better than we do as fans. Speaking for myself, I don’t know who’s on the practice squad most of the time, and I don’t know how good or bad Nick Scott looks in practice.

Sure, but that's sort of goes into my point - the TEAM knows more about the ability of our rookies, guys that didn't play much, guys that got injured, etc.
I think the 2nd round picks can show us where we're all off in our analysis of the team.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
I expect at least one surprise tonight and then after a couple hundred posts, we all kind of figure out why it happened.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I don't think what we pick in say round 2 means it was the biggest need. Need factors in but good teams play the strengths of each draft to get the best haul.

Also they might not be able to get the players they want at one or two different positions and we'll never know who those were. And it's not like either Snead or McVay tell us a damn thing lol. Snead probably gives the most but he's careful, with McVay it's all BS he's very disciplined in saying the right thing.

Snead came from the Falcons. They are a draft for need team. So maybe he will draft for need.
The Rams have significant and obvious needs. Clearly Ilb is one. I think Center is another, however if they don’t pick one them maybe it’s because they feel good about one one the roster, not named Allen.

Ants

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Funny you mention Allen...I suspect that they're not too big on him anymore. He's still young, though.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Yeah Right !! Blah Blah Blah

The Rams need was a RB,not a fan of Akers though. Jefferson was a value pick & gives him time to develop.Like you didn’t think they needed.

What happened to Center ?? Or lineman ??

Just saying when Kromer talks, he will talk up Brewer. Say what you want about Blythe & Havenstien. They helped an excellent Rams O”Line go to the SuperBowl.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
Sure, but that's sort of goes into my point - the TEAM knows more about the ability of our rookies, guys that didn't play much, guys that got injured, etc.
I think the 2nd round picks can show us where we're all off in our analysis of the team.
You nailed it.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The RB and WR are premium positions that are harder and more expensive to fill. Good OL and LBs will be available in the 3rd round, if that is what they are looking for, they should be able to fill these positions.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

well, they definitely think the oline is set and it will improve greatly moving forward.

josh reynolds is not in their long term plans.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame

Cowboys didn't even make the playoffs either--but of course there they are, for the views and clicks.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Like they knew the Oline was going to be good last year? They totally botched that up. That’s where hubris comes in, or is it just poor coaching and evaluations. Many of us suspected the line would struggle with the lose of Saffold and a failure to adequately replace him, Sullivan and Blythe. It’s hard to believe that they didn’t take note of how badly Blythe played in the Super Bowl.
I watch BigTen games and immediately thought the choice of Allen was a poor one.

They also felt that they had their center of the future in Jake Eldrenkamp.

Once they evaluate the young offensive linemen we’ll enough to put a good, above average product on the field, then I’ll start feeling good about Kromer’s evaluations again.

Kevin

Pro Bowler

well, they definitely think the oline is set and it will improve greatly moving forward.

josh reynolds is not in their long term plans.

Maybe it’s Robert Woods. He will be 30 years old when his contract expires after the 2021 season and the Rams can save $8 million by releasing or trading him before the 2021 season.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Snead came from the Falcons. They are a draft for need team. So maybe he will draft for need.
The Rams have significant and obvious needs. Clearly Ilb is one. I think Center is another, however if they don’t pick one them maybe it’s because they feel good about one one the roster, not named Allen.

Yes I’m quoting myself.
They lose Gurley and trade Cooks. The two of them were big parts of the offense. So it became a glaring need to them. Snead definitely drafted for need in this one.