Will RayRay get a chance to start?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Some of us want RayRay to start opposite Ogletree, some say it wont happen for numerous reasons.

Right now RayRay is listed as ogletrees backup, and WW is the starter on the other side and his back up is rookie Daren Bates.

Here are some of the reasons people do not think he will start:

1. Lack of experience
2. to light, needs added weight.
3. He is a Ogletree clone and he won't fit on the right side.

I am sure there are more but can't think of them at the time.
Now lets examine these cons.

-Lack of experience

Yes he does lack experience, not only in the NFL, but at the position entirely. Can't really argue against that. But i can argue that he has progressed tremendesly to a point most of us did not think he would be at at this point.

I will admit when i first heard the Rams were moving him to LB i was like "WTF". I wanted him as one of our safeties and thought that would be the best place for him since, well, he was a safety.

He has excelled in his roll at LB thus far, proving me wrong big time. He has shown great instincts and tremendous speed and can hit like a freight train.

He has gone from an UDFA safety who hadn't played in over a year, to a stud LB clone of Ogletree.

-to light, needs to add weight. Not big enough to play on the right side.

I dont get this one at all. And this is why.

Dunbar - 6'0, 226 lbs
WW - 6'1, 240 lbs
Bates - 5'11, 212 lbs
Ogletree - 6'2, 242 lbs

RayRay - 6'3, 233 lbs

Could he add a few pounds of muscle on? Sure. Is it really necessary? It doesn't appear to be. RayRay plays quicker than Dunbar and WW (Haven't seen enough of Bates to know tbh). But you get my point. He is bigger than Dunbar and faster, and he was our starter on the right side. I like WW, i really do. But i don't see him being more then a stop-gap at this point. He is on the tail end of his career and is limited to being "solid" at best. Bates seems to be be undersized in my opinion and has a size better suited towards safety, but he has obviously done enough at LB to gain a roster spot so im not going to argue.

My point is, RayRay is not to small/light/etc.

-Ogletree Clone who does not belong on the right side.

Why not? Is having two Lb's who excell in coverage that bad? Sure they might not be the best against the run...yet, but we won't know till they are actually out there on game day when it actually matters.

IMO RayRay could start right now if we didn't have Ogletree. He will be an amazing back up for him. But i think he deserves more than a back up role. I think he should be put next to Jlau opposite of Ogletree and lets see how that goes.

Maybe it happens, maybe it doesn't. We don't get to decide these things. But i want it to happen, whether this year or next, i'd love to see the combo of RayRay/Jlau/Ogletree out there together reeking havoc together.

i'll leave you with a few small clips of him we have all seen.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkxQaEraPwo[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4-vJ9RXjeE[/youtube]

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
I think most of us see the potential in Ray-Ray. But I don't think the Rams want two of their three LB being rookies. Spoon got signed, I think, to replace Dunbar. Perhaps as the season goes on he can become a starter, but now I think the Rams will keep him as a back-up

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Nope. If he does that's an amazing testament to his talent.

Will Witherspoon is the guy there as broke said.

I wonder...if they use RayRay on passing downs tho since he's a former safety and is probably better in coverage than Alec right now. Probably throw WW in on run downs and play RayRay on 3rd or when THE BRING THE FUCKIN BLITZ.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
Angry Ram said:
Nope. If he does that's an amazing testament to his talent.

Will Witherspoon is the guy there as broke said.

I wonder...if they use RayRay on passing downs tho since he's a former safety and is probably better in coverage than Alec right now. Probably throw WW in on run downs and play RayRay on 3rd or when THE BRING THE freakin BLITZ.

Ogletree was a saftey at one point too.

Psycho_X

Legend
He won't start unless of injury but I am pretty confident in assuming he will be used a lot in blitz packages.

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler
Bates is another safety converted into a lb in college. The rams should have one hell of a nickle package.