Will Rams pick more players on O or on D through pick #104?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Good question given apparent Ram needs, huh?

Let’s assume that Snead makes just one trade down out of 52 and that we wind up with 5 picks among the top 104, okay? Gives us an odd number for tiebreaker purposes.

Given the talent depth at positions such as WR and various Rams needs, which side of the ball gets the most picks?

Here’s my guess:

RB
C
WR

Edge
ILB

Not necessarily in that order, of course. I listed them in that way for simplicity’s sake. So, as you can see, I give the slight edge to the O. And that only because of the depth of the WR position which should provide good value through at least 104.

The funny thing is that a month or more ago I felt that the D was gonna get the lions share of new blood because of possibly losing Fowler and Littleton. But then we lost Gurley and Cooks followed by the signings of Floyd and ARob.

Funny how things can flip flop in a shirt period of time, huh?

What do y’all think?

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
3-2 Defense

EDGE,
ILB,
DL,

and OL (2)

We are still in good to very good shape at WR, and good enough at RB to draft that later.

Last edited:

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
3-2 Defense

EDGE,
ILB,
DL,

and OL (2)

We are still in good to very good shape at WR, and good enough at RB to draft that later.

I guess that we’re in disagreement on 3 of the 5 positions, Vegas.

I see RB as a Big Time need/value among top 104.

And a WR by 104 almost seems too obvious of a value to me.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Hopefully D.... I want to see a dominant front 7.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
I guess that we’re in disagreement on 3 of the 5 positions, Vegas.

I see RB as a Big Time need/value among top 104.

And a WR by 104 almost seems too obvious of a value to me.

I don't totally disagree, just think D is more important. Guess it depends on who's available.

I don't want any more smurfs at WR - if there's a 6'-3" 4.4 210-220 lb WR with an attitude available at WR, I'm all in.
Losing Littleton AND Fowler makes LB more pressing, and our D line is so-so after AD.

If the OL plays well, and we get some new blood, RBs will do OK. If it isn't, then it doesn't matter who we have back there.

If you knew DH would excel, would you still want a RB?

(EDIT) Forgot about Robinson and Floyd. So C, OT, WR, ILB and S),

Last edited:

lockdnram21

Legend
I don't totally disagree, just think D is more important. Guess it depends on who's available.

I don't want any more smurfs at WR - if there's a 6'-3" 4.4 210-220 lb WR with an attitude available at WR, I'm all in.
Losing Littleton AND Fowler makes LB more pressing, and our D line is so-so after AD.

If the OL plays well, and we get some new blood, RBs will do OK. If it isn't, then it doesn't matter who we have back there.

If you knew DH would excel, would you still want a RB?

(EDIT) Forgot about Robinson and Floyd. So C, OT, WR, ILB and S),
Thats the thing ubdont knownwhat DH is going to do.... and i think we need a star RB to take pressure off Goff

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You trade ALL of the picks for a game changing RB like Jonathon Taylor of Wisconsin.
*40 time = 4.39
4/4/20: Taylor was a combine star, putting up a ridiculous 40-yard dash time. He showed that he could be a game-changing back for the next level given his size, speed, and running ability."
~ Merlin, aka Mike Ditka

Ram65

Legend
I'm trying to figure out where the value is. The Rams will need players on both sides of the ball. I think they draft evenly. I might go more offense with O Line RB and WR. Still ED ILber and outside Lbers are needs now and in the future.

It's going to be how they value players. They still have more picks. Overall they will try to be even on both sides of the ball.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Good question given apparent Ram needs, huh?

Let’s assume that Snead makes just one trade down out of 52 and that we wind up with 5 picks among the top 104, okay? Gives us an odd number for tiebreaker purposes.
What do y’all think?

I personally wouldn't do it. I expect some outstanding players to be available at 52 and 57. Last year the Rams did the opposite. They traded up to No. 70 using Nos. 94 and 97 to get Henderson, going down from 5 to 4 top 100 picks.

On the split of O or D, based on my view of the world, I would go 2 and 2.

Last edited:

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
I'm trying to figure out where the value is. The Rams will need players on both sides of the ball. I think they draft evenly. I might go more offense with O Line RB and WR. Still ED ILber and outside Lbers are needs now and in the future.

It's going to be how they value players. They still have more picks. Overall they will try to be even on both sides of the ball.

This is exactly how I see it. What we don't know is

1. How Staley values our current linebacking and edge corps. This is no doubt a position Staley was in part brought in to fix. Was he promised a high pick as part of his deal?

2. How Kromer values our current o-line corps. This is a position that really needs to be fixed, and Kromer didn't get much priority in the draft last year (just Edwards in the 5th).

3. How Snead and McVay value particular players in this draft vs their positional needs-- BPA or need?

I personally speculate that Snead and McVay will go BPA, but with more emphasis at the top on O. This would be in part because of the high quality players possibly available at RB, WR, and o-line. More importantly, it would be because, at the end of the day, McVay is in charge and I strongly suspect that he really wants his high powered offense back.

Last edited:

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
3-2 Defense

EDGE,
ILB,
DL,

and OL (2)

This is where I'm at also. Except I see us taking a CB instead of DL in the first 4 rounds.
On the side of the offense we go with 1 OL along with a skill position like RB or
WR whichever is higher on the board.

~ArkyRamsFan~

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Here’s my guess:

RB
C
WR

Edge
ILB

I personally speculate that Snead and McVay will go BPA, but with more emphasis at the top on O. This would be in part because of the high quality players possibly available at RB, WR, and o-line. More importantly, it would be because, at the end of the day, McVay is in charge and I strongly suspect that he really wants his high powered offense back.

This is where my head is. (y)

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I like Alton Robinson and Jonathan Garvin at that range. Two high ceiling edge rushers to go with the potential we already have.