Will Rams DBs press the issue vs. Cleveland?/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Will Rams DBs press the issue vs. Cleveland?
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_4cc2d42b-4596-5b2c-990a-56fb95edd740.html

Predating even the arrival of defensive coordinator Gregg Williams last season, the sight of Rams cornerbacks playing off coverage on opposing receivers in recent years has frequently driven fans and observers crazy.

The reasoning for the strategy is obvious. With a young secondary, the idea is to keep the play in front of you to avoid the big strike, the quick 60- or 70-yard touchdown pass.

But the more skilled and savvy quarterbacks around the NFL have been able to exploit the soft coverage by simply playing pitch and catch underneath and methodically picking the defense apart.

With that background in mind, it was eye-opening to see the Rams come out Oct. 11 at Lambeau Field and play press coverage against mighty Aaron Rodgers and the Green Bay Packers.

Not on every play, mind you, but on the vast majority of plays there was Janoris Jenkins right in Ty Montgomery’s face at the line of scrimmage, or Lamarcus Joyner doing the same with Randall Cobb, or Trumaine Johnson getting face time with James Jones.

They were all trying to contest a free release off the line and disrupt the rhythm of the pass play.

“It worked a lot,” Jenkins said. “We took away some guys that we wanted to take away. Me and Tru, we had to hold up the outside by ourselves. And I feel like we did a pretty good job of that.”

“We were pretty successful,” Joyner said. “We looked at the film and thought that we could have success doing it, so we went with it.”

The Rams had seen enough of Rodgers on film, and in person in recent years, to know that if they sat back in coverage he would dissect them underneath. It would be a slow, painful death.

Coach Jeff Fisher liked what he saw of the press coverage in Green Bay.

“Yes, with the exception of two plays,” Fisher said. “But when you’re playing Aaron, he’s gonna find somebody. We had a slip, and then we had a technique error on the pick (play).”

Joyner slipped in coverage against Jones, with the result being a 65-yard touchdown catch and run. The technique error that Fisher referred to came when Johnson lost inside position, leaving Montgomery free on a 31-yard TD catch.

But those were the only two offensive TDs for Green Bay that day, and most opponents will take that against the Packers’ high-powered offense. Rodgers committed three turnovers and just about every pass he threw was contested.

“That was our philosophy, to go in and challenge them,” Fisher said. “Make them hold the football knowing that the risk, the down side of that, is that once (Rodgers) recognizes that ... then he can escape.”

Press coverage can leave mobile quarterbacks with plenty of running room if the QB can escape the pocket. Rodgers ended up leading the Packers in rushing that day, but as Fisher pointed out: “I’d probably rather have Aaron running the football than throwing it.”

The even bigger down side, as evidenced in Green Bay, is that if the receiver escapes press coverage, it can lead to a big play if there’s no help from behind.

“You see how deep we play our safeties?” Williams said. “Deeper than anybody in the National Football League. That’s Rodney (McLeod)’s job and that’s T.J. (McDonald)’s job, whoever it is depending on our press alignments.

“When you press and when you’re very physical with press, you’ve got to have an ‘angel’ back there in the secondary. We call it the angel. The angel player has got to be out there to help you out.”

More specifically, the angel is the deep safety help, usually McLeod at free safety. McLeod took a bad angel, uh, angle, on the Jones TD; otherwise he might have been able to tackle Jones after a moderate gain. For the most part, Williams said McLeod has done “a phenomenal job” of playing the angel.

In a copycat league, Williams said other Packers opponents may try more press coverage given the Rams’ relative success. In fact, he indicated that was the case from San Diego, which played Green Bay last week while the Rams were on their bye.

What about Rams opponents, starting with Cleveland on Sunday at the Edward Jones Dome? Should they expect more press from the Rams?

“Yeah, absolutely,” Browns quarterback Josh McCown said. “I think we’ll see press. I think it was effective for them, so we absolutely expect them to press. ... We’ll have our hands full with that and what’s expected of us as far as that goes, and trying to get guys open and how disruptive it can be in the passing game.”

Cleveland’s top three wideouts are all smaller, quicker players, so it may be more difficult for Rams cornerbacks to get their hands on them. Travis Benjamin, Andrew Hawkins, and Taylor Gabriel range in height from 5 feet 7 to 5-10 and in weight from 167 pounds to 180. But if you do get your hands on such smaller receivers, you can easily knock them off their routes.

But there’s no guarantee the Rams will stick with the heavy dose of press coverage. That’s because Williams’ game plans tend to change from week to week, from opponent to opponent.

“We pick and choose our times to (play press),” Williams said. “But we’re going to press parts of all ballgames, but some games more than others.”

Ask a cornerback, however, and almost invariably they’ll vote for press coverage.

“That’s what I love,” Jenkins said. “I like zone every now and then, but I like (press) man-to-man because I don’t like to play off that much. That’s just a pitch and catch as you look at the game.

“I hope we play it a whole lot. But at the same time, you’ve got to play within the scheme and stay within the defense. So whatever they call, I’m gonna be ready.”

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We played press coverage against GB because they didn't have the WRs to make us pay but did have a QB to make us pay if we played off. Not sure we'll see it as much against Cleveland. McCown is the type of guy that you want to force to beat you methodically because he's prone to errors. Plus, as mentioned in the article, Cleveland's WRs are small and quick which will make them more difficult to press but easier to defend on shorter routes.(because they can't box out the DB well)

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2015/1...veland-browns-friday-post-practice-interviews

Rams Defensive Coordinator Gregg Williams

(On playing a lot of press coverage against Green Bay and how it worked out)
"If you’ve ever kind of followed me around wherever I’ve been, I’ve been kind of recognized for I’m not afraid to do that and we do that a lot with every stop and every team. They played very well. We had a couple of plays that we’d like to have back that you always do that. It’s something that maybe kind of goes sight unseen a little bit about that.

People will be copying a little bit of those kind of things when they get ready to play Green Bay, as you saw that this past week on what the next opponent did. We pick and choose our times to do that, but we’re going to press parts of all ball games, but some games more than others."

(On the pros and cons of playing press coverage)
"There is, but one of the things too is, I’m giving too many tips away right now, but you see how deep we play our safeties? Deeper than anybody in the National Football League. That’s (S) Rodney’s (McLeod) job and that’s (S) TJ’s (McDonald), whoever it is depending upon on our press alignments.

For an awful long time, even when I was a secondary coach back in the early 90’s, I asked those guys to do some stupid things. But I don’t anymore in the respect of, when you press and when you’re very physical with press, you’ve got to have an angel back there in the secondary. You’ve got to have an angel back there. We call it the angel. The angel player has got to be out there to help you out. And Rodney does a phenomenal job of that.

He took one poor angle in the last ball game, but you know what, he’s so fun to coach. He just took a poor angle on that one play. It wasn’t that he was not there. The game is about angles. Especially when you play against arguably some of the top guys in the league, there’s no really bad guys in the league anymore. But, he does a great job of that. He and our guys that press for him are confident that he’s there to save them, the angel is going to save them."

(On if when it’s all said and done he’ll be saying this is one of the best defenses he’s coached)
"I hope. I’ve had a chance to be a part of some really, really, really good ones. But, I hope. I’ve said that to these guys here. When you guys talk to them in the locker room too, I think you see more ownership. I think you hear them talking about things that they believe in. Whenever those beliefs are the same as my beliefs, we get along a lot better."

(On what he had to do differently with LB Alec Ogletree out last game)
"We managed a lot of different personnel packages and managed a lot of different people through there and it worked out pretty good. Again, I take great pride, we take great pride around here about making sure whoever (Head) Coach (Jeff) Fisher says is up for the ballgame, we have packages for all of those guys. A lot of it depends upon who the other team deploys.

This league has kind of gotten away from a lot of the big packages. In the old days, you saw a lot of the multiple tight end packages, two back in the backfield. You don’t see very much of that anymore. We’ll see a little bit of it this week. Cleveland does a little bit of it. They’ve got a defensive head coach that’s kind of getting his nose into things, probably, offensively. So, we’ll see some two back formations, but not a lot in the league anymore."

(On DB Lamarcus Joyner taking ownership and being hard on himself and how he’s seen him grow)
"I’m very proud of him. And you talk about hard on himself, did you see how hard I was on him last year? He’ll tell you stories about maybe I was a little bit too hard on him. But, he had to grow up in a hurry and he did. I’m so proud of his attention to detail. I’m so proud of his adapting to the National Football League and all of the sudden becoming a student of the game.

For so many years of high school, college - they’ve been able to get by just being the best guy out there and doing what they want to do just because they are the best athlete out there. This whole league is great athletes, very good athletes. So, you have to be able to adapt to that format. There’s a lot of preparation and study. He is excellent in that area.

My trust in him and our trust in his understanding now of how we have to go play as a team as opposed to - I tease him all of the time about the old wildcat days when he could do whatever he wanted. And he could. He stood over by me. Do whatever you want, standing over here by me. But, when you get out there, you’re going to do it our way. And he’s done a fantastic job. I’m real proud of him."

(On when he knows he has a guy he can push that hard)
"I do. Every one of them. I tease all the time, they say I have a Ph.D in body language. After all of these years of learning the difference, the do’s and the don’ts, those certain guys can take it, certain guys can’t. Whenever I find the right formula for each and every guy, some guys need to be petted a little bit more or a little bit more consoling behind the scenes.

Other guys react with that chip on their shoulder. He has reacted very well to that type of coaching and mentoring. I’m proud of him. I really am proud of him. He’s played well and he’s vital to our success. He was very vital in this last ball game. And as you guys watch how he played on (Packers WR Randall) Cobb, wow. That’s a testament to getting it."

(On how big of a force DT Aaron Donald has been)
"He’s been outstanding. All of the sudden now, he’s learning too about other team’s attention towards him. When he first snuck into the league, first snuck on the presence, a lot of people didn’t know a lot about him.

Everybody knows about him now, so you’ll see scheme to him. You’ll see game plans to him because people have to be accounted for him all of the time because he’s so disruptive. But, he’s a joy to coach."

(On the versatility of S Mark Barron)
"Every single player in this league and here, I talk about, you have to be able to learn more than just one position. You’ve got a primary position. You’ve got a backup position. We have 42 ways to add up to 11. We have 42 packages of defense that we’ll trot 11 guys out there. We play the same kind of a defensive structure, but we have different people playing different spots. He fits in that very well. I’ve been real proud of him, too."