Will Patrick Mahomes get $40M/yr?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Will Patrick Mahomes get $40M/yr?

Patrick Mahomes
is Super Bowl bound. He’s also in line for a monumental payday.

Last year, at the age of 23-and-a-third, Mahomes became the league’s youngest MVP since Dan Marino won the award in 1984. He didn’t disappoint in his encore, either. The grizzled 24-year-old threw for for 4,031 yards with 26 touchdowns against just five interceptions in 2019. He also threw in some dazzling running plays, for good measure, resulting in two more scores and 15 first downs.

His incomparable skillset and early accomplishments point to a historic contract. The NFL’s all-time average annual value (AAV) record is made to be broken and routinely shattered each year, sometimes by quarterbacks who are not considered to be among the league’s very best. Mahomes’ case is decidedly different – he’s simply from another planet, and some execs think he’ll cross the $40MM/year threshold.

“I think he’s gonna get $40MM [per year], either over four or five years,” one NFC personnel evaluator told ESPN.com’s Jeremy Fowler.

Another NFC exec with negotiating experience mostly echoed that sentiment:”If Russell Wilson is at $35MM, then probably $37.5MM.”

Wilson’s deal with the Seahawks calls for $140MM across four years. Rams QB Jared Goff isn’t far behind with $134MM over the same stretch, with a whopping $110MM in guaranteed cash. Carson Wentz fell just shy with his four-year, $128MM Eagles extension. There will be new additions to this tier – including Cowboys QB Dak Prescott – but Mahomes is poised to top Prescott’s deal (whenever that happens) and set a watermark that won’t be approached for a while.

Mahomes’ rookie deal runs through 2020 and the Chiefs hold his fifth-year option to take him through 2021. Still, league officials say time is of the essence for KC.

“If I were [the Chiefs], I would be as proactive as humanly possible,” one exec told Fowler. “If Jared Goff can get no offset language in his entire contract after three years in the league, then this specific player has all the leverage. I think $40MM would be Mahomes selling himself short.”

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Haha, some bozo said that $40m per year is selling himself short. What a Fuckwit. What about the other 52 players on the team?

Part of me wants to see the nfl implode on itself.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
I had friends asking me if I was happy about the Goff extension this offseason. One of my responses was Mahomes is going to blow the lid off whatever Goff got.

Then you got Watson, Jackson, Prescott, we may be looking at quite the bargain in Goff in just a short time.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Haha, some bozo said that $40m per year is selling himself short. What a Fuckwit. What about the other 52 players on the team?

Right? 40 mill is significantly more than what they pay his entire offensive line
Fisher 12 mill
Schwartz 8.2 mill
Wisniewski .9 mill
DuVernay 8.3 mill
Reiter 2.3 mill
Total 31.7 mill
Plus they are paying Erving 4.3 mill
So 36 mill for top 6 o-lineman, and yet 40 mill for the QB isn't enough??
Man they have this salary structure so messed up

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
This is why I say that the QB should be separate from the cap with a max contract like in the NBA. That would prevent this whole “rookie window” and would significantly increase the ability for teams to sign mid level guys.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I'm telling you guys salaries are getting so ridiculous that eventually they're going to have to cap each position. I really dont see another way to fix these bloated contracts. 40mil a year to throw a football to your buddies? Commmmmmon

Ram65

Legend
Mahomes is going to get his $40 Million per year. New CBA higher cap etc in 2021.

Ram65

Legend
I don't know how they fix the vast difference QBs are making compared to other players. It is getting out of hand. it doesn't seem like it is a topic in this year's CBA or we haven't heard about it. Goff's deal will look better and better until it's his time to renegociate.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I had friends asking me if I was happy about the Goff extension this offseason. One of my responses was Mahomes is going to blow the lid off whatever Goff got.

Then you got Watson, Jackson, Prescott, we may be looking at quite the bargain in Goff in just a short time.

I saw a Reddit thread recently from when Woods got signed by the Rams and almost every single person was saying the Rams paid too much and he wasn’t worth it. Two years later and he has one of the best contracts for his value.

Doesn’t take long for things to change. The media just hates Goff, could you imagine if he put up 77 yards in the NFCCG? They would have torn him to shreds. Almost every other QB gets credit where he doesn’t, so take criticism of him with a huge grain of salt.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Teams are paying QBs more and more with the expectation in wage scale that is ludicrous. College teams are producing less and less prepared OL. This is basically very similar to the problem college teams have faced, which has produced a focus on athletes and wide open gameplans.

Which means this only leads to one destination: the future of this league will revert to what college does now. Draft a mobile/athletic QB and run his @$$ into the ground, draft another, rinse repeat.

Some team right now should hire Greg Roman as head coach and draft him a mobile QB every couple years. Save all that money in the QB position for linemen and skill players.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I hate to say it but Mahomes may just be the kind of kid that takes a slightly team friendly deal. His agent wouldn't like it but...

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Teams are paying QBs more and more with the expectation in wage scale that is ludicrous. College teams are producing less and less prepared OL. This is basically very similar to the problem college teams have faced, which has produced a focus on athletes and wide open gameplans.

Which means this only leads to one destination: the future of this league will revert to what college does now. Draft a mobile/athletic QB and run his @$$ into the ground, draft another, rinse repeat.

Some team right now should hire Greg Roman as head coach and draft him a mobile QB every couple years. Save all that money in the QB position for linemen and skill players.
You're not wrong

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock

It might implode.

That's what caused the NHL lockouts...salaries got out of control.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If Wilson is worth $35 million, Mahomes is worth $50+ million.

In reality, he'll get $40 million and probably be happy with it.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
He'll probably get that much.

I still remember when the first (I'm pretty sure) $2 million per year contract for an NFL player was signed. That seemed like insane $ at the time too.

It was John Elway in 1983... 6yrs for $12.7 million.

I still look at horse-tooth as the best QB to ever play.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I still look at horse-tooth as the best QB to ever play.
Agreed. He was ridiculous man. One of those guys who made the scheme better, not vice versa just crazy good.

Mahomes is similar to him too, which is scary. Let's just hope he doesn't follow the same path with losing Super Bowls early on, because we need his ass to deny the whiners.

Ramrocket

Hating 49ers and Seahawks from afar
Name
Rod
Mahomes is going to get his $40 Million per year. New CBA higher cap etc in 2021.

Yeah I agree that he will get his $40M but I don't think the problem goes away. I'm no Cap expert (@flv may choose to chime in here if I'm way off the mark) as the Cap increases so do ALL salaries exponentially. For example, if the cap goes up 12.5% which is the increase between what Wilson gets and $40M, a $16M/year DE becomes an $18M/year expense. Apply this across your squad and your position is no different to what you have now. Eventually, the squeeze is applied to your available funds.

The smart thing to do, and this is what I see the Rams doing, would be to lock up your talent next year at today's rates with extensions to existing contracts. The new money doesn't hit until 2021 by which time the new CBA has been done (we assume).

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
The only issue is that for this year only, there's a 30% rule which means that the cap hit in 2021 cannot be more than 30% of the cap hit in 2020, so we're gonna see some guys be on 1 year prove it deals because they can't sign a guy long term to reduce his hit unless it's a mid to low level contract.

This is why they can't fully renegotiate Goff's contract. His cap hit in 2020 can't be more than 30% lower than in 2021.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
I saw a Reddit thread recently from when Woods got signed by the Rams and almost every single person was saying the Rams paid too much and he wasn’t worth it. Two years later and he has one of the best contracts for his value.

Doesn’t take long for things to change. The media just hates Goff, could you imagine if he put up 77 yards in the NFCCG? They would have torn him to shreds. Almost every other QB gets credit where he doesn’t, so take criticism of him with a huge grain of salt.

I really like Goff. He was the guy I wanted in the draft.

Does he have his short comings? Yes. I feel one thing about him is that he'll consistently work to get better.

We'll never see Goff running the way some of these other QBs do but I feel whole heartedly that he can match those QBs with his own capabilities.

Goff has the qualities to be an excellent leader. Playing with other men.

Goff, Mcvay, and the rest of this organization will continue to keep their minds set on ascending