Will Mike Thomas do something as a rookie wr?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

How many targets will he get in 2016

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Most of us Rams fan understand the frustration of drafting impact wide receivers...Not since Torry Holt has a rookie done anything. Not since Torry have we had one go over the 1000 yard receiving mark. :deadhorse: Hell, maybe Torrey needs to do some scouting for Snisher....I found a good read...Enjoy folks...Camps here, so all the speculation will end soon. I did read how this guy dropped a pass in ota's...Drops happen...But I know how we are...

http://theramswire.usatoday.com/2016/07/28/mike-thomas-could-surprise-in-training-camp-as-per-draft-

By: Alex Alarcon | 7 hours ago

The Los Angeles Rams needed to address the offense during the 2016 NFL draft, and they did not disappoint. With their six draft picks, they selected five offensive players: a quarterback, two tight ends and two wide receivers. Will any of the draft picks surprise in the training camp?

Draft Wire writer Luke Easterling expects Thomas to surprise everyone on the Rams’ offense with his big-play threat.

“I still don’t understand how the player I saw on film in Thomas was not only snubbed by the combine, but then fell all the way to the sixth round. The big-play threat from Southern Miss led the nation in yards per catch for receivers with at least 65 receptions, and has enough size, speed and ball skills to be an NFL starter. Top overall pick Jared Goff should find out quickly that his team landed him one of the steals of the draft, and they should waste no time building chemistry in camp.”

The Rams currently have three veterans on the receiving core, but have a lot of young talent that could steal the spotlight during training camp. It’s still hard to imagine that an athlete like Thomas fell to the sixth round. Thomas averaged 19.6 yards per catch in 2015, the highest mark in the FBS for any receiver with at least 65 receptions.

The receiving core of the Rams are young, passionate and hopeful for a roster spot on an up-and-coming playoff team. Thomas has the skill, size and heart to surprise everybody. Thomas will be one to watch out for at Rams training camp which is set to start on July 30th.

Sounds like a great kid.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
I yelled louder when Thomas was picked, then when Goff was. He was the one player that I desperately wanted. Aside from Goff of course. Once we grabbed Cooper, I thought we had no chance. And when we took Hemingway before him, that was my "what the fuck snisher! Thomas is still there!" moment. And then we got him anyway. Super high hopes for this guy. Thanks for posting Champ.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
The way he tracks the ball is above average at the college level. If that translates to the NFL, he will a real player in the league. I haven't seen him play a game in real time so I'm curious to see what his hands are like on a play to play basis. The knock was he would drop some balls along with his one year of great production. I like him and you're right Champ, he seems like a cool cat.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Tough to expect much from him with TA, Britt and Cooper expecting to carry the load.

Also, factor in the possibility of Gurley gaining more responsibilities in the passing game and a rookie QB.

He could pass Quick on the depth chart, though.

Last edited:

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
He does track the deep ball well and is a quick twitch athlete. I'm not sure if he is powerful enough to be a consistent factor but I'm curious to see how he performs in horns.

JoeBo21

Hall of Fame
I'm thinkin it's gonna be Cooper who makes the biggest impact (besides Goff of course)

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I was hoping they would pick Thomas too. I couldn't believe he slid so far. I get that he was a JuDo transfer and only had one year of good production, but wow, it was good. One thing I remember about Quick during the predraft process was that he was very raw and didn't show a lot of aptitude for learning offenses. People thought he may struggle with the complexity of the position in the NFL. I think they were right. So I am wondering if the same is thought of Thomas since he had to go the Juco route and didn't take off until year two.

It will be interesting to watch his progress. I will be rooting for him.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
Talking with friends during the draft I hoped for Goff, Higbee, Cooper, and Thomas. I was so thrilled when the draft fell like that for us! While I love a lot about Thomas. I'm not really sure what this year will look like for him - that is my same feeling about Higbee.

I really think Cooper is going to emerge pretty quickly. I was happy when I saw the video with Thomas and Cooper as room mates for camp. Also Coop has been doing extra work with Goff and Keenum.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I think that the Thomas pick will go one of two ways.

A steal or a bust.

Elmgrove raises a good point about Thomas being forced to go the JuCo route. Might indicate a learning issue. And the kid has had more than his fair share of drops.

On the other hand there's those OBJ type circus catches. And with an accurate QB like Goff throwing him the ball...

I just think it's gonna be one extreme or another. No middle ground, iow.

Either way, I love the pick in the late 6th for a team trying to catch lightning in a bottle for it's weak WR corps.

I'm sure that we're all pulling hard for the kid. For ALL the WR prospects, actually.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Most of us Rams fan understand the frustration of drafting impact wide receivers...Not since Torry Holt has a rookie done anything. Not since Torry have we had one go over the 1000 yard receiving mark. :deadhorse: Hell, maybe Torrey needs to do some scouting for Snisher....I found a good read...Enjoy folks...Camps here, so all the speculation will end soon. I did read how this guy dropped a pass in ota's...Drops happen...But I know how we are...
Hopefully this^ will change this year!!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
So I am wondering if the same is thought of Thomas since he had to go the Juco route and didn't take off until year two.
I think Quick
s offense at App St. was very rudimentary....they claim to not even have a playbook...or a receivers coach. So not completely the same as Se. Mo.....but I see where you're going....

He could pass Quick on the depth chart, though.
Hey!!!!

Look out now though, those Dodgers are heating UP BABY!!!!

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
I think that the Thomas pick will go one of two ways.

A steal or a bust.

Elmgrove raises a good point about Thomas being forced to go the JuCo route. Might indicate a learning issue. And the kid has had more than his fair share of drops.

On the other hand there's those OBJ type circus catches. And with an accurate QB like Goff throwing him the ball...

I just think it's gonna be one extreme or another. No middle ground, iow.

Either way, I love the pick in the late 6th for a team trying to catch lightning in a bottle for it's weak WR corps.

I'm sure that we're all pulling hard for the kid. For ALL the WR prospects, actually.
Can he really be a bust where we drafted him? I believe he's going to be a steal like Gaines was but it will take him a lot longer to get up to speed.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I think Quick
s offense at App St. was very rudimentary....they claim to not even have a playbook...or a receivers coach. So not completely the same as Se. Mo.....but I see where you're going....

Hey!!!!

Look out now though, those Dodgers are heating UP BABY!!!!
They are heating up.
Even without Clayton.

If A. GON and Turner finish hot, we could take the Giants.

lockdnram21

Legend
Put it like this Between Mike Thomas, Duke Williams, Marquez North, and Paul McRoberts, I think 1 of them will emerge in camp and Preseason. Start of season they will start off slow. By the end they will be taking Britt spot

Athos

Legend
Too early bro but I'd bet Cooper leads the young guys in receptions.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Spot on LA Champ. Expectations of College players coming in and making an impact are just not the way it used to be. With the advent of "spread" O's and play books becoming less and less complicated, players coming to the NFL are just not ready, especially WR's and OLinemen. Rams already have two good examples in Brian Quick and GRob. Fans are going to have to get used to the fact that drafted players may not see the field for a year or two, or if they even can absorb a fat playbook full of X's and O's they never had to learn in college. Lots of college WR's never learn route running proper, its always "go deep".

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Spot on LA Champ. Expectations of College players coming in and making an impact are just not the way it used to be. With the advent of "spread" O's and play books becoming less and less complicated, players coming to the NFL are just not ready, especially WR's and OLinemen. Rams already have two good examples in Brian Quick and GRob. Fans are going to have to get used to the fact that drafted players may not see the field for a year or two, or if they even can absorb a fat playbook full of X's and O's they never had to learn in college. Lots of college WR's never learn route running proper, its always "go deep".
Very good point.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
6th round bust? Lolz....

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Well JaMarcus Joyner had troble not trusting Williams his rookie year.Speed & size played a part as well.
Tavon- speed & size
G. Rob was only 20 & very very raw. He is an old southern boy !! He is not the sharpest tool in the shed,but in the long run is going to be a pro bowl LT.
Quick -- He was a pure reach !!! They out thought themselves.
Mo Alexander-- was raw , but Williams is really high on him.

-- As far as rookies. Pharoh Copper & Mike Thomas worked extra with Keenan & Goff . There extra work will only help them in the preseason.
---Mike Thomas has been making plays & seems to have a very good feel for the game.I personally think he will get at least 400 yards & a couple TD's his rookie year.