Will Darious Williams become a top-paid cornerback in 2022?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Will Darious Williams become a top-paid cornerback in 2022?​

“How good would Darious Williams be without Jalen Ramsey or in a different defense?”

It’s the question that everybody is really asking right now when it comes to LA’s number two cornerback. If we focus on the last 19 games, ever since the moment that Williams stepped in for 61 defensive snaps against the Cowboys, we see a player who has mastered his assignments.

In those 19 games, Williams has 18 passes defensed, six interceptions, and one of the lowest passer ratings allowed in the NFL. That doesn’t include the playoffs, where Williams had two passes defensed and a pick-six against the Seahawks in the wild card round.

If Williams had been a 21-year-old first round pick in 2018, rather than a former undrafted free agent out of UAB and approaching 28, we might be talking about him as the franchise’s best decision since Aaron Donald. In that scenario, it could be easy to envision Williams on the verge of a record-breaking contract for cornerbacks.

In the scenario in which we live, Williams might be just as good of a cornerback, but how much money will it cost to him to have not entered the NFL with hype and to have emerged as a late bloomer? A late bloomer whose entire run of success has come opposite of the league’s best cornerback.

How much doubt has that placed in the minds of the Rams, the spectators, and the NFL? You think there’s no difference? I would disagree because if Williams was a 24-year-old former first round pick, it’s hard to imagine how any team wouldn’t have taken a stab at him in free agency this year. Because he was undrafted, Williams was a restricted free agent this year and the Rams placed the first round tender on him.

This may have been what scared some teams off from pursuing Williams — signing him would have meant sacrificing a first round pick — but consider that the Rams sacrificed two first round picks for Jalen Ramsey.

Williams has not been put in that same realm of Ramsey, and rightfully so, but how will the other 31 teams view Williams if he has another exceptional season in 2021?

Last year, the Rams made Ramsey the highest-paid cornerback in the league, signing him to a five-year, $100 million contract. In October, the Ravens came in just under that, giving Marlon Humphrey a deal at $19.5 million per season.

But a better comp for Williams might be James Bradberry, especially since Bradberry had so much success in his first season with the Giants last year. Bradberry, a late second round pick in 2016 out of Samford, entered free agency in 2020 after four quality seasons with the Panthers. He was coveted, but not to an insane degree, and New York paid him $43.5 million over three seasons.

With a much higher cap in 2022 than when Bradberry entered the market in 2020, Williams might be able to get more than $50 million over three seasons. A $16-$17 million APY places him in the same range as Xavien Howard, Byron Jones, and Darius Slay.

It’s hard to imagine how LA would be able to pay that but another third round compensatory pick could be coming their way in 2023.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Loved when the Rams claimed Darious Williams off waivers from the Baltimore Ravens and he's evolved into one of the finest CB's throughout the National Football League. It's a shame that he can't stay with the Rams, but I would not be shocked if he's back with Brandon Staley in 2022 staying in Los Angeles, which will make it even more difficult because I love the way he plays CB. IMO, he might be superior to Ramsey in coverage, however, Ramsey makes up for that being a complete corner.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
How good will Darius Williams be without Jalen Ramsey? I don't know. I think he's pretty good but its a fair question. He'll get more passes thrown his way because of Ramsey. More opportunities to make plays. But he could be reaping the same benefits Fowler and Floyd got playing next to Aaron Donald.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
Let's see how he does this season before we assume that he will get Ramsey type money. I'm sure Ramsey has helped him learn to be a better corner and that pass rush has also helped him. Plus when the Rams drafted Rochell I'm sure it was with the thought that Williams may become too expensive to keep.

oldnotdead

Legend
It's going to be his decision. I feel the Rams will make a legit attempt to keep him but his market value is around $15M/yr. Whether or not the Ram's can afford that is questionable considering how many players will be FAs next year. Again as I say each year, it's all about the guaranteed money not about the overall contract amount. He's in a very good situation here where he's on a legit SB contender. He'd be foolish to walk away from that. But if the Rams win the Lombardi this year it will change the dynamic and he might want to cash in on the bidding war that will be for all the Ram FA.

If Long has a breakout year it will lessen the impact should the Ram's lose Williams by being outbid (a very real possibility). It's why IMO drafting Rochell was a priority this year. If Rochell develops as he should then that will at some point bump Williams to the Star position in their nickel. I wouldn't be surprised if they did that this year allowing Long to play the LCB position.

How good will Darius Williams be without Jalen Ramsey? I don't know. I think he's pretty good but its a fair question. He'll get more passes thrown his way because of Ramsey. More opportunities to make plays. But he could be reaping the same benefits Fowler and Floyd got playing next to Aaron Donald.

I don't see the comparison. AD eats up blockers freeing the JACK LB to be singled up. A CB is on an island and though a single high FS might shade over to that side, he still must cover the middle, and good OCs can scheme to isolate boundary CBs. With Ramsey at RCB then the LCB would be perceived as the weaker side. So he does get more passes thrown his way increasing the pressure on his coverages. Williams has handled that very well. If he continues to play at this level, he will draw huge interest as a FA and the Rams look to be outbid unless Darious gives them a hometown discount to stay.

But Snead is covering his bets hoping that Long and Rochell emerge to fill the loss if Williams leaves. Long is signed through 2022 which fits the timeline for Rochell's development as a two year developmental player. Remember Williams also was a two year developmental CB.

That said the problem with Darious is his length. Jason Verrett is the poster boy for short boundary CBs and he and Williams are both 5'9" in height. Simple geometry shows how a shorter boundary CB has less room for error so he must play tighter coverage than a taller CB. This is why the Sea Hawks favor taller outside CBs. The problem arises that in executing that tighter coverage they must play a more physical style which tends to cause a higher instance of injury. Verrett was drafted by the Chargers as a boundary CB and I could only shake my head. I got into a lot of arguments over what I've just illustrated and history has shown his extensive injury history (every year from his rookie 2014 season through 2019).

I have no doubt that Snead is aware of this problem with shorter boundary CBs and it's why they drafted Long (5'11" average height for an outside CB) and Rochell at 6'2". Ramsey is 6'1" by comparison. As much as I like Williams, and would be sorry to see him leave, I know the Rams are covered at the position with Long in the short term and Rochell in the long term.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I see it more in the opposite from the standpoint that the 2nd or 3rd pass-rushers (Fowler and Matthews in 2019) / (Floyd and maybe Fox in 2020) would get LESS attention (single blockers) because of Donald (frequently double-teamed).

At CB, the 2nd corner (Williams) would get MORE attention as teams throw away from Ramsey. Yes, more opportunities to make plays but also more opportunities to be exposed. I thought Williams was terrific last year.

What might help Williams is when the Rams put Ramsey on the opponent's top-WR.

Psycho_X

Legend
His age has definitely helped us in retaining him this year and maybe later. He'll be 29 next offseason so getting a long term contract might be hard for him... long term as in more then 3 years. Will have to see how he does this season but if he balls out like he did in 2020 or better he'll garner at least a 3 year $45 mil contract I'd think. If Long finally plays up to his potential or Rochelle impresses in his rookie year I'm guessing we let him go. Wouldn't be a bad thing letting a 29 year old walk for a good comp pick the next offseason if we have options already on the roster to replace him. But I am looking forward to watching him and Ramsey shut down WRs again for at least one more season.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I’ve resigned myself to Rams losing DW after this year.

But it’s plain as day that Rams are planning on moving on with Long/Rochell in ‘22.

I also have little doubt that DW will fetch a comp 3rd that Snead will put to damned good use.

The downside of having a loaded roster under a cap environment is that we fans must see wonderful players leave every year. We know it’s coming but it still hurts like a Mutha. Sigh…

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
A No. 1 CB usually covering a NO. 2 WR. He should have issue getting paid like a top cornerback next season. I doubt we have the funds to retain him.

oldnotdead

Legend
It's going to be his decision. I feel the Rams will make a legit attempt to keep him but his market value is around $15M/yr. Whether or not the Ram's can afford that is questionable considering how many players will be FAs next year. Again as I say each year, it's all about the guaranteed money not about the overall contract amount. He's in a very good situation here where he's on a legit SB contender. He'd be foolish to walk away from that. But if the Rams win the Lombardi this year it will change the dynamic and he might want to cash in on the bidding war that will be for all the Ram FA.

If Long has a breakout year it will lessen the impact should the Ram's lose Williams by being outbid (a very real possibility). It's why IMO drafting Rochell was a priority this year. If Rochell develops as he should then that will at some point bump Williams to the Star position in their nickel. I wouldn't be surprised if they did that this year allowing Long to play the LCB position.

Psycho_X

Legend
it's all about the guaranteed money not about the overall contract amount. He's in a very good situation here where he's on a legit SB contender. He'd be foolish to walk away from that.

Normally I'd agree with this sentiment but Williams has scratched and clawed his way to an NFL roster and then finally a starting spot in his late 20s taking the bare minimum a team could pay him. And while I understand he's still earned millions this will be his one contract where he'll get to dictate on his terms. I wouldn't fault him for getting every dollar he can get. A player like him deserves the big payout more than a lot of players who get one based more on their draft position or early career.

oldnotdead

Legend
I'm not saying he doesn't deserve it. But how often does a chance for a good player get to actually play on a contender? Most spend their careers making good money but never getting that ring. When their career starts winding down that is when they start thinking about it.

Like I said if the Rams win the Lombardi this year it changes the dynamic of free agency for the Rams players. Having their ring they will try now to cash in on it with big money contracts. Williams isn't dumb he knows that the drafting of Rochell is pointed directly at him. Personally, I think he will go on to have a good career, but probably with someone else. No reflection on him, but this is a star-studded team with some big contracts and a cap that limits how many of those a team can carry.

He simply has to look at Stafford and others who are asking for trades to a contender to see how important that ring is. As long as he goes outside of the division I have no problem with it. As far as the Chargers are concerned that would make perfect sense in a lot of ways.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
If he were to be #1 CB on a different team the quality of WR he has to cover changes.
How ever if it turns out he shows he can cover those top receivers well
He may end with less targets, like Ramsey.
This year is a huge year for Darius . If he continues playing at the level he
did last year or even improves on it. He will be a huge money signing for someone.
I think he can be a top 15 NFL corner for another team, but like a lot of people
I wanna see if he can do it one more year.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
Rochell's development as a two year developmental player.
I will say it again, Rochell can be as good as he wants to be.
His physical tools are pro bowl caliber, The only question is, can he improve his technique
and have the drive to put in the overtime, watching film, studying the game and allowing his mental ability
to match his physical gifts. This kid controls his destiny.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I see it more in the opposite from the standpoint that the 2nd or 3rd pass-rushers (Fowler and Matthews in 2019) / (Floyd and maybe Fox in 2020) would get LESS attention (single blockers) because of Donald (frequently double-teamed).

At CB, the 2nd corner (Williams) would get MORE attention as teams throw away from Ramsey. Yes, more opportunities to make plays but also more opportunities to be exposed. I thought Williams was terrific last year.

What might help Williams is when the Rams put Ramsey on the opponent's top-WR.

yeah but because ramsey can take care of himself williams almost always has help on his side. it will be interesting to see the offers he gets if he plays well again this season.

CanadaRam

No guts, No glory.
Name
Andrew
I am hoping that DW becomes a top paid CB next year, it means he would have had a monster year with Rams this year.
To me that would ensure another top 5 D (not withstanding injuries to Aaron and/or Jalen) this year.
The Rams O and ST will be better in 2021. If D is at top level again, only good things can happen.

It would mean we lose him in FA (most likely). That said, the top teams continually lose good players in FA.
After 2+ decades of the Rams being on the other side, glad that Rams are now losing players in FA rather than trying to fill all the holes that they had in the roster.

TexasRam

Legend
You have to wonder if Williams is the next A.J. Bouye. Looked mighty good as the #2 CB with Ramsey doing the heavy lifting.

Gets a big contract, goes to Denver for one year and is cut. Injuries played a part but Williams is even smaller then Bouye.

Don't get me wrong, I love me some DW. But he's not exactly shutting down #1 WR's or destroying people like Ramsey.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
DW will sign a large contract to make millions in March Of 2022 with another team. DW will get a contract over the size in amount $$$ that DB John Johnson contacted for.

The Rams will be forced to go with either youngins David Long & Robert Rochelle as their starting outside corner.