Will a Matthew Stafford contract extension be the first domino to fall this offseason?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Will a Matthew Stafford contract extension be the first domino to fall this offseason?

The Los Angeles Rams have a very challenging off season ahead of them supplementing their roster for the 2022 NFL season.

Snead, McVay, Demoff, Pastoors & Kroenke have a big plate on their table heading into the NFL off season.

Winning back-to-back NFL Championships is very farfetched in today's NFL.

The last franchise to win consecutive Super Bowls was the legendary New England Patriots.

XXVIIIFeb. 1, 2004Reliant Stadium (Houston)New England 32, Carolina 29
XXXIXFeb. 6, 2005Alltel Stadium (Jacksonville, Fla.)New England 24, Philadelphia 21

Ask the Tampa Bay Buccaneers how farfetched it is after they brought back almost every single player to defend their Super Bowl Title.

The Bucs didn't even get past the divisional round of this year's playoffs.

Extensions, resigning players, signing a few free agents and the NFL Draft are all on deck for the current champions.

It feels like one of the first moves the Rams will make will be signing Stafford to a contract extension to free up some salary cap space.

(UFA's) Unrestricted Free Agents 2022

Joseph Noteboom OT

Austin Corbett RG
Brian Allen C

Von Miller OLB
Ogbonnia Okoronkwo OLB

Darious Williams CB
Donte Deayon CB

Odell Beckham Jr. WR

Sebastian Joseph DT

Johnny Mundt TE

Sony Michel RB
Buddy Howell RB

Brandon Powell PR

matthew-stafford-wife-kelly-kids-celebrate-win-23.jpg

Last edited:

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Either Stafford or Whitworth. It's been about a week since Whit said he'd be meeting with management in two weeks, so I'm not really expecting to hear much about extensions & contracts or an official retirement for another week.
jmo.

Last edited:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My guess is a 5 year contract for Matthew Stafford is the first one to get inked.
I'm gonna go with a 7 year deal, they'll need to stretch out the signing bonus as much as possible. The last 2-3 years wont be guaranteed, possibly even voided years
I'll say they do something like a 7 year, 260 mill contract with a 40 mill signing bonus, low 1st year salary (whatever lowest allowable is) and spread out the rest over the contract between base salary, roster bonuses etc. Fully guarantee about half of it.
Annual value around 37 mill, which is a raise from his current contract, and will still be at a "discount" since it wont even be top 5 QB money...

MaxQ28

Rookie
My guess is a 5 year contract for Matthew Stafford is the first one to get inked.
I agree, not taking away from the importance of other players/positions but a great QB is hard to come by and makes all of the difference. Gotta get that settled so they can move on to the other players contracts without Stafford’s contract looming.

oldnotdead

Legend
5 years will be the top end of the contract length for Stafford. That will make him 40 yo at the end of it. It will allow them to backload his contract to keep an elite team around him.

Also, I see McVay who has 2 years left on his contract being extended this year or next to a matching contract by his request.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm gonna go with a 7 year deal, they'll need to stretch out the signing bonus as much as possible. The last 2-3 years wont be guaranteed, possibly even voided years
I'll say they do something like a 7 year, 260 mill contract with a 40 mill signing bonus, low 1st year salary (whatever lowest allowable is) and spread out the rest over the contract between base salary, roster bonuses etc. Fully guarantee about half of it.
Annual value around 37 mill, which is a raise from his current contract, and will still be at a "discount" since it wont even be top 5 QB money...H
Signing bonuses can only be spread out for 5 years. He won't be signed for longer than that.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
I could Stafford signing a 5-6 year deal. Lower hit in first year and gradually going up.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Annual value around 37 mill, which is a raise from his current contract, and will still be at a "discount" since it wont even be top 5 QB money...
Signing bonus and guaranteed money will more than compensate Stafford for any discount. This is where Stan's financial resources and willingness to use them matters big time. Other teams can't always afford to front load money in bonuses and commit to guarantees.