Wide receivers rarely make immediate impact

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My Dad sent me a short note from a quote in a local Arizona paper.
Rookie wide receivers don't often have an immediate impact in the NFL.
Of the 456 drafted between 1999 and 2012 only four reached 1000 receiving yards in the first season. Boldin, Clayton, Colston and A.J. Green.
I guess it is a lot harder than it looks!

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
People have been saying this for years, and will continue to for many more. That won't stop some people from expecting every rookie WR to explode for 1000 yards ever season and marking them a bust when they don't. What can you do?

jap

Legend
HometownBoy said:
People have been saying this for years, and will continue to for many more. That won't stop some people from expecting every rookie WR to explode for 1000 yards ever season and marking them a bust when they don't. What can you do?

Ban the forum posting and Twitter rights for impatient fans? :twisted: :lol:

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I could care less about 1000 yard seasons, do they have the ability to make it big is what I'm looking at.

Especially 1st rounders.

nighttrain

Legend
Angry Ram said:
I could care less about 1000 yard seasons, do they have the ability to make it big is what I'm looking at.

Especially 1st rounders.
difficult first few years for some of the best to do this consistently. Givens is a better player than last season, but teams know about him now
train

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
When I see this I think of Austin.

While he's been slow in the passing game... he's had TWO HUGE punt returns (in 5 games). Both called back by penalty.

But, it shows what he's capable of.

Give him the separation in the offense he'll do equal damage.

Big fan of TA here!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Austin's hands will come around. That's all about still being in his head and trying to do too much.

He's getting open. Sam just needs to work on finding him. Sam might have some trust issues due to the drops but Austin is definitely separating. I think it's only a matter of time for him.

F. Mulder

Starter
I think he needs to make one big play, one wow play, and he'll get his confidence and raise his game overall. You can see he is thinking too much and almost trying too hard. He strikes me as the type of player who, if he can make a big play early, will be there all game long.

…..

Legend
jrry32 said:
Austin's hands will come around. That's all about still being in his head and trying to do too much.

He's getting open. Sam just needs to work on finding him. Sam might have some trust issues due to the drops but Austin is definitely separating. I think it's only a matter of time for him.

:shock: He leads the team in targets.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Dog said:
jrry32 said:

Doesn't mean anything.

…..

Legend
jrry32 said:
Dog said:
jrry32 said:

Doesn't mean anything.

Ok...then despite leading the team in targets, Sam needs to find him more often? gotcha.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
jrry32 said:
Dog said:
jrry32 said:

Doesn't mean anything.
You just stated Sam needs to find him. Someone points out he leads the team In targets which means Sam is finding him. Your counter is that leading the team in targets means nothing. That makes no sense.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Dog said:
jrry32 said:
Dog said:
jrry32 said:

Doesn't mean anything.

Ok...then despite leading the team in targets, Sam needs to find him more often? gotcha.

Yes.

Rabid Ram said:
jrry32 said:
Dog said:
jrry32 said:

Doesn't mean anything.
You just stated Sam needs to find him. Someone points out he leads the team In targets which means Sam is finding him. Your counter is that leading the team in targets means nothing. That makes no sense.

How many of those targets are screens or quick short routes? Sam needs to find him in the 7 to 20 yard range. That's where he's missing him. I could post 10 examples from the first 5 games of Sam not throwing to Austin when he was open in that range.

So what is him leading our team in targets supposed to tell me there? I mean, that's great. I'm glad they're involving him offensively but in the end, that stat doesn't tell me what opportunities have been missed or the target distribution.

So yes, I believe Sam needs to find him and Pettis more in the intermediate passing game. Both are doing an excellent job of getting open. I think it's only a matter of time before they start to get the looks they deserve.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
jrry32 said:
Dog said:
jrry32 said:
Dog said:
jrry32 said:

Doesn't mean anything.

Yes.

Rabid Ram said:
jrry32 said:
Dog said:
jrry32 said:

Doesn't mean anything.

How many of those targets are screens or quick short routes? Sam needs to find him in the 7 to 20 yard range. That's where he's missing him. I could post 10 examples from the first 5 games of Sam not throwing to Austin when he was open in that range.

So what is him leading our team in targets supposed to tell me there? I mean, that's great. I'm glad they're involving him offensively but in the end, that stat doesn't tell me what opportunities have been missed or the target distribution.

So yes, I believe Sam needs to find him and Pettis more in the intermediate passing game. Both are doing an excellent job of getting open. I think it's only a matter of time before they start to get the looks they deserve.
I hate hindsight judgments I do. There is no account for Game speed pressure or what the qb actually sees. Just an overhead view of a play paused in a single moment. And as far as live replays you still can not accurately account for variables like the qbs internal clock or his trust in protection by the oline or his level in trust that the qb has in said Reciver you want targeted in the coverage that the Reciver is getting.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rabid Ram said:
I hate hindsight judgments I do. There is no account for Game speed pressure or what the qb actually sees. Just an overhead view of a play paused in a single moment. And as far as live replays you still can not accurately account for variables like the qbs internal clock or his trust in protection by the oline or his level in trust that the qb has in said Reciver you want targeted in the coverage that the Reciver is getting.

Alright. It seems to me that you're taking what I said as a shot at Bradford and getting a tad defensive here. I don't think it's necessary. The point I'm making isn't to criticize Bradford. It's complimenting Austin. He's getting open. That's the biggest struggle. He's winning with his release off the LOS and his route running. You rarely see that in rookies. The point I'm making is that eventually, it's going to translate. Bradford is going to get him the ball in that intermediate range. Him and Pettis are doing an excellent job in separating and I gotta believe that eventually, the protection and Sam's field vision/progressions will be such that we will start to take full advantage of it.

There's no reason to defend Bradford here. I'm only trying to compliment Austin in a thread about him.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Sorry if I miss read ya man just been some crazy talk round these parts lately lol :lol::lol:

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Still dislike hindsight judgments though lol the all 22 is a good tool and all but leaves Alot of invariables on the table so to speak

…..

Legend
perhaps its the play selection.

if Tavon has 3 catches on 9 targets, I'm wondering if they arent forcing the ball to him and I'm wondering about play selection.

But Sam doesnt need to find him "more often". They just need to connect more often. As Tom Brady said yesterday, a reception is two parts everytime. You need a good throw and you need a catch. You cant have a reception if one of the two is missing.

Play selection could be affecting that. The measly ypc on top of a measly completion percentage is indicative of that.

You could also make a point that if Givens, or Cook, or anyone else was lighting it up, then that would eventually lead to Tavon getting more open looks. If we could hit a few over the top, then underneath may open.

But as long as everyone is getting shut down, Tavon will be shut down because they dont have a creative enough play selection to get him into space and defnenses are sitting on zone stuff effectively, which takes away the short/intermediate game

Our WR screens are awful and predictable. I watch other teams execute this play pretty well, especially Denver to Demaryus Thomas or Eddie Royal. But ours is more predictable and execution is not there.

I think it will all come together eventually, and we fans are going to dissect it until it does. It could be as everyone keeps sayin...its no ONE big thing, but a combination of many little things. This could be affecting all three phases of the game for the Rams.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rabid Ram said:
Sorry if I miss read ya man just been some crazy talk round these parts lately lol :lol::lol:

It's all good. I've been very impressed by Tavon and Pettis this year. Both guys are just running really crisp routes and getting a lot of separation on their breaks. Both also have made a habit out of making defenders look silly when they try to press him. Pettis made one of my favorite moves against the Falcons, I believe, in defeating their press. The CB made the error of not forcing the WR to come through him. Instead, he took a step forward to jam Pettis, Pettis side-stepped him and simultaneously slapped his hands away making the guy look like a fool while grasping at air. Just adding insult to an ego injury. :lol:

I have to believe that eventually it's going to start paying off. Once we get it all down pat, we're going to have a really strong intermediate passing game.