Why Won't the Rams Tarp the Unavailable 25,000 Seats?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I found this interesting and glad you got a response on your email.

I agree empty seats are not a good look and the media doesn't help. If you have 60-65K people in a 100K stadium it will look a bit empty. I also think it makes sense to let fans spread out and make thing less congested for the bathrooms and vendors. After the first few camera shots I don't think it is much of an issue. It would be great if the Rams could have a real home field advantage. Let's see if this screen shot works. I don't know if tarps on the corner end zones would help. That might be a spot to put some up. There are some fans spread out there.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/om5raol8bf8hj6b/Screenshot 2017-12-09 13.12.00.png?dl=0
I don't know that a tarped area of seats would automatically mean that fans wouldn't go to restrooms above those seats...I haven't been to the LA Coliseum since 1973, so I don't quite remember what the concession areas are, and it's probably changed several times over the years anyway....But I know at Kauffman Stadium (Where the Royals play in KC), I would walk to where a certain food or beer was being served, so I can't see why people wouldn't walk to a concessions stand which is behind the tarped seats, especially if the line was less congested...jmho

socalrams90

Starter
Two other things to consider.

One, people who bought season tickets since year 1 are all spread out around the stadium. Moving those people around is a big headache. Also if you pay attention, the sections nearest the peristyle are always full even on bad attendance days because those tickets are dirt cheap. If you tarp you that area the rams will have to move those people elsewhere and who knows if those same season ticket holder‘s would pay the higher cost of sitting elsewhere. Could result in cancellation of STH’s.

Also, there will be major renovations going on at the stadium this off-season so Rams jumped ahead to accomadate the new capacity limits. There are already a lot of people who will be relocated, if there were a surplus of season ticket holder’s than available seats it would be a nightmare. I think final capacity will be 70,000 when it’s all said and done.

enhancement_coliseum.jpg

Also it’s a TEMPORARY home. Not our home.

Last edited:

tiger1971

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tiger
There is no proof that any tarps exist with a Rams logo....

I've seen Tarps with Rams logos on.

Twickenham, London 2016 and 2017.

Probably not the right sizes though as they are to cover the first five rows in each stand.

#ukrams

EastRam

Pro Bowler
For you LA natives.

How do the fans manage during a Trojans game when the stadium is full?

Is it a nightmare for the fans to get to the restrooms and vendors like you are describing during an NFL game?

If it works for Trojans fans why doesn't it work for NFL fans?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
IMO this team is going to win a lot of games, maybe even playoff games too, over the next couple years. I'd try to solve the logistics issues with water distribution and putting some money into the stadium itself to allow for packing in enormous crowds down the stretch. Keep it to key renovations and whatnot.

Then maybe next year's big games and playoffs pack those 100k crowds in and enjoy the big ticket proceeds.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I'd give some of those 25k seats to first responders for free. Bring in some porta johns and vending machines for them. Good PR, a tax break, and a deserving reward for those that get little. Win, win, win!!!

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
For you LA natives.

Is it a nightmare for the fans to get to the restrooms and vendors like you are describing during an NFL game?

I dunno. It's just an old stadium and it's going to have it's issues. Getting stuck in one of the tunnels for ten minutes sucks pretty bad. Especially when you have to take a piss, or when you're trying to get back to your seat. It's a huge fire hazard.
Getting home is the worst part of the experience. It took me something like four hours to get back to orange county using public transportation, I dunno about you but spending hard earned money on expensive tickets and food and then taking a lifetime to get home just isn't worth it to me. I really hope they plan for this at their new stadium especially when it comes to transportation

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
ticket sales stop at 65,000, and they keep quoting the 90K number instead.

What dieter may have been right about, is that it may not be due to Kroenke being cheap and not wanting to pay for tarps that would only be good for a couple of years. I wonder if it's not because of that reason, what would it be? It doesn't make sense to me, to not hush the stupid narrative that Ram's fans won't support the team.

There are holes in the crowd at the 50 yard line, fans are not coming out. It's not a stupid narrative it's a fact based observation.

Kroenke won't pay for tarps because he probably doesn't give a shit what fans or media think or say.

The problem with the Coliseum is the vendors and bathrooms can only handle a certain amount of people per area. So from a functional standpoint it’s better to have everybody spread out.

Actually it isn't because then you have to staff a larger area of the venue with concession workers and security and you have more waste from prepped food that goes unsold.

Better to have a smaller area.

I honestly think there are no tarps .. because Stan and coaching crew and even the team probably don’t care that much ... the coliseum for all the history there is our temporary home as long as we keep winning I don’t care if one person is at the game ...

I don't care either. But it is a bit fun to see the NFL squirm over this and Chargers attendance.........it's delicious actually.

Wow, winning will cause toilets not to overflow and parking spaces to materialize and bottle water consumption to lessen? WINNING SOLVES EVERYTHING!:rockon:

It hasn't stopped USC from putting shitloads more fans in the seats every year for how many years now?

I've seen Tarps with Rams logos on.

Twickenham, London 2016 and 2017.

Probably not the right sizes though as they are to cover the first five rows in each stand.

Yes well it's that confounded metric system. Hehehe!

For you LA natives.

Hey my old friend!

It works because the seats are filled so they open enough stands to accommodate the crowd. And the seats are filled. Look at Rams games.........they may have sold 65K or 62K seats but there are CLEARLY not that many people there..........the venue will staff based on history.

I'd give some of those 25k seats to first responders for free. Bring in some porta johns and vending machines for them. Good PR, a tax break, and a deserving reward for those that get little. Win, win, win!!!

And shelters, and orphanages, and low income school kids (give them free meals too), and give them away on radio stations to callers all day long, veterans......I could go on but I care, and so do you. But that's not how this sport/business works.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
For you LA natives.

yes
hell yes....most of the SC faithful are used to all this BS....so

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
dieterbrock and I have been going round and round about who was responsible for this
No we haven’t.
I took issue with you making a false claim that Kroenke chose not to tarp it because he was a cheapskate.
Get over it already. You were wrong so move on already.

Jayson

UDFA
Name
Jayson
I’ve been pretty pissed off about the team not tarping the seats, but the more I think about it the more it makes since not to. The coliseum major renovations begin this January and they’ll be building that huge suite/press box that’ll reduce the seats from 94,000 to about 78,000. I think the rams realize that they have to move all the season ticket holders for next year so why not just bite the bullet this year and wait. I agree I absolutely hate the spreading out. It’s embarrasing to look at and the national media is so annoying about it. Next year and in 2019 it’ll be packed because of the 78,000 true cap of seats and the stadium is getting brand new seats and everything so it’ll be worth it.