Why Tru Johnson should be re-signed over Janoris Jenkins

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Why Trumaine Johnson should be re-signed over Janoris Jenkins
January 31, 2016 by Matthew Luhmann

http://isportsweb.com/2016/01/31/los-angeles-rams-trumaine-johnson-re-signed-janoris-jenkins/

A big decision needs to be made this offseason. The Rams free agent class is headlined by their two best corners this past season. Janoris Jenkins and Trumaine Johnson both had stellar seasons, but both of them will be demanding quite a bit of money for their services. Most likely, Les Snead will only be able to keep one, but which one should it be?

The Jack Rabbit (Jenkins’s nickname) is coming off of one of his best seasons in the NFL. After having some head shaking 2014 moments, including getting burnt by Brandon Lloyd for 80 yards before halftime against the 49ers, Jenkins improved his coverage abilities. A career high 15 pass deflections, triple from his total in 2014, and three interceptions helped to increase his value.

One major flaw in Jenkins’s game is his tackling ability, especially in the open field. Since Jenkins is not a big corner, he does not try and tackle upright in the way a linebacker would. Instead, Jenkins dives for the legs of players, which makes him more prone to whiffing and turning a one yard gain into a ten yard gain. Aside from the occasional coverage blunder, Jenkins improved his game tremendously in 2015.

Tru (Johnson’s nickname) had an amazing 2015 which many Rams fans thought was Pro Bowl worthy, but alas, the voters thought otherwise. For the season, Johnson had 7 interceptions to go along with 58 tackles. That was in 14 games after a season in which he only played in 9 and had 3 interceptions.

In terms of physicality, Johnson has the advantage over Jenkins, as he does not go for the legs to tackle all the time. Another important note is that against the Lions, Johnson went toe-to-toe with Calvin Johnson. For the game Johnson only had one catch, which came in the fourth quarter, for sixteen yards.

Factor in the 17 pass deflections and Johnson looks like the better option over Jenkins. Both will be demanding a good chunk of money no doubt, but how much money exactly will they want. However, Jenkins has shown the ability to be a number one corner in the past, as in 2012 and 2013 he had a combined 28 pass deflections to go along with 5 interceptions (3 returned for touchdowns).

Surely Les Snead does not want to exhaust all of his cap space on Jenkins and Johnson, but there are other players who could either take a pay cut or be cut altogether to make room for them both. I will touch on that in a future article, but if you had to choose one, who would you re-sign? If it were me, I would go with Johnson because of his physicality and he looked very good in coverage and did not have a lot of bad plays

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
as suggested, if jenkins is franchised, why would johnson take much less ? unless 1 is gone for sure and there is good reason to believe both, then maybe franchise. but 10-14 million is a bit high for either. if i had to choose, johnson on size and less gambling for big plays. he seems to get the turnovers without as much risk as jenkins takes.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't want to speak ill of Trumaine but that Detroit game that keeps getting brought up is a bit misleading. Early in that game, Calvin ran right past by Trumaine. It likely would have resulted in a big play if not a 70+ yard TD but Stafford overthrew him. He had Tru beat by a good 5 yards. Tru is a very good CB. He's a great #2 CB. But I don't think he has the chops to be a #1 CB. Janoris does. Especially if he plays smart like he did this year.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
One major flaw in Jenkins’s game is his tackling ability, especially in the open field.
Not exactly. He's a very good (open field) tackler, it's his decision-making in those situations to either tackle or gamble that gets him into trouble. I've seen Jenks make solid one-on-one stops in the open field many times.

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
Hopefully they find a way to keep both but if I had to choose I would go with Tru.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Jenkins first and Tru second. We need to sign our number one corner and that's Jenkins always has been. I really hope we can keep both though.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How much are good corners getting on the open market? I thought I read where the free-agent cornerbacks were very deep this year. And will Fisher/Snead/Demoff pay these guys 8-10 million/yr with 30-40 million guaranteed? Anyone know what the contracts are like for F/A corners?

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I continue to believe that it will be possible to keep both CB's. Unless they insist on stupid money, that is.

It will require pruning other roster players and/or contracts, of course.

But that not only could be done, it SHOULD be done, anyway.

Long and Cook are obvious candidates. Saffold and J Lau could be a couple of others.

Look at it this way. Why continue to grossly overpay non producers and risk losing either of these young and healthy top tier productive CB's? Smart teams don't do that. Playoff bound teams don't do that.

Long and Cook's replacements will come in this draft, anyway.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I prefer not to lose ANY of our FA's if I had a choice in the matter!!:D

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
Sign them both

Football players are like fish , they love to chase shiny objects , and Los Angeles is full of shiny objects

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
KD will make the right moves. If we lose one of them, it will likely be because someone else outbids us. That is always hard to do anything about.

KA210927

Rookie
Name
Kevin
Would you rather have?
A: Jenkins, Gaines, Joyner, Roberson
or
B: Johnson, Gaines, Joyner, Roberson

It's clearly option A for me and it's not close.

The Rams secondary next year would obviously be much better off if they can bring both guys back. JJ, Tru, and Gaines would be a great top 3 CBs and thats not even including Joyner who I think takes another step as well. But if they can only bring one of the two guys back, JJ is CLEARLY the better option here.

TRU has been great for the Rams and has the stats to show for it (7 pics) but he has been the Rams #2 behind JJ for a reason. JJ is a proven solid #1 starting corner in this league and he's still growing. TRU has not proven to be a #1 yet and I'm not saying he couldn't be, but it would be a bad moving choosing to let a proven #1 go for the hopes that your #2 can successfully fill his shoes. It happens all too often in the NFL, when you go with a guy who was behind someone previously, hoping they can take on a bigger role, and they just can't fill in the shoes.

Take a look at GB Packers WRs as an example. Cobb has been a stud when playing as the #2 behind Jordy Nelson, but when he was thrust into that #1 role, he was NOT the same player. I do not want the Rams to make a similar mistake here. They have a proven commodity in Janoris and should lock him up long term, and they should just hope they can have the luxury of locking up Trumaine to pair along with him.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
Classic Janoris Jenkins.
kaep.0.gif

TateGIF.gif

SphericalDefinitiveFlee.gif

gqG7Eu5.gif

SteveSmith.gif

afr-atl-stl-1.gif

ajisopen.0.gif

Toss-Power-Sweep-Patterson-smalla.gif

IMO he's not an elite CB and honestly I personally believe Tru Jo is a better less expensive option to retain that gives up less big plays, TD's, and tackles better. Yes JJ does get a highlight real pick 6 once in a great while but at what cost does that come with with his gambling play style?