Why the Rams lean so heavily on the Senior Bowl

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.espn.com/blog/los-angele...y-the-rams-lean-so-heavily-on-the-senior-bowl

Why the Rams lean so heavily on the Senior Bowl

LOS ANGELES -- Cooper Kupp ran an underwhelming 4.62-second 40-yard dash at the scouting combine in March 2017, and Les Snead celebrated.

The Los Angeles Rams general manager figured Kupp's time would cause him to slip behind a plethora of more physically gifted wide receivers in his class, which meant Snead could snatch him in the later rounds for what would eventually become one of the biggest steals from that year's draft. Snead had already seen Kupp shine against elite college talent while playing actual football at the Senior Bowl, a showcase Rams decision makers and evaluators have leaned on heavily in recent years.

Buffalo Bills for the most in the NFL during that time. This includes the Rams' top picks each year, tight end Gerald Everett in 2017 and offensive lineman Joe Noteboom in 2018. It also includes Kupp, fellow wide receiver Josh Reynolds, safety John Johnson, outside linebacker Obo Okoronkwo, defensive lineman Tanzel Smart, offensive lineman Jamil Demby and fullback Sam Rogers.

It's hardly a coincidence.

Said Snead: "You get to see guys go compete against really good seniors in their class."

In many ways, the Senior Bowl represents college football's premier showcase. The game itself is valuable. But even more so are the three days of practice leading up to it, which offer scouts, coaches and executives an extended look at high-end prospects competing against one another. It proved exceedingly valuable to the Dallas Cowboys two years ago. Their staff was selected to coach the North team, and one of the quarterbacks on the opposite side was Dak Prescott -- a fourth-round pick by the Cowboys who became the NFL's Offensive Rookie of the Year.

Snead selected more Senior Bowl players in the last two drafts (nine) than he did in the previous five (eight).

One potential reason for is the Rams have recently leaned on more seasoned players to offset a roster that was the NFL's youngest -- and thus one of its rawest -- for several years running. An even bigger reason, perhaps, stems from the reassurance that comes with watching players perform against elite competition on the field at the Senior Bowl. This is especially important for a Rams organization that needs to hit on what little draft capital it possesses.

Using the Jimmy Johnson Value Chart, the Rams' draft capital from 2017 to 2018 ranks 1,388th among 1,413 based on two-year stretches since 1970, according to research from ESPN's Bill Barnwell.

The better they do with that, the longer their contending window will stay open.

The Senior Bowl has allowed the Rams to evaluate how small-school players match up against prospects from FBS programs they never face. Last year, they saw it with Kupp, who broke records against inferior competition while playing at Eastern Washington. This year, they saw it with Demby, who played at Maine and was actually able to spend time blocking Okoronkwo, from Oklahoma.

“You wouldn’t get to see that when you’re watching him play at Maine, and you get to see it at the Senior Bowl," Snead said. "I do think it helps you go, ‘OK, some of the traits that he has will transfer to this league.’”

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I think it means that out of a combination of over 1400 2 yr draft stretches from all teams since 1970, the Rams rank 1388th lowest.

So they have had very little to work with over the last two years in regards to draft capital since they were with out two 1's and a two in these two drafts.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Does anybody know what this guy is trying to convey? What do the numbers mean in regards to the Rams drafts of 2017 and 2018???
I appreciate everyone's input.

~ArkyRamsFan~
I think he's trying to say we've had a lot of low picks.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
We have little money but still got this
mercedes-benz-sls-amg-gt3-6171.jpg

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
IMO, the Los Angeles Rams have done a nice job of utilizing the Senior Bowl and Combine and their first selection of Joseph Noteboom is an excellent example. He was inconsistent on film, however, they liked him at the Senior Bowl and he showcased fine athleticism at the combine, which translates into being effective at the next level. Jamil Demby showcased that he belonged at the Senior Bowl coming from a Small School like Maine.

So this is serving the Rams well, the Senior Bowl gives them a chance to evaluate players against better talent and there are certain metrics they want the players to hit at the combine, but not all that they are tested on. Snead deserves much of the credit because when he took over, he has not only built the college scouting department, but also pro player personnel as well.

Sean McVay and Les Snead seem to be on the same page and that's a good thing as I believe they have a similar philosophy as to how to win in this league, whereas previously, Les had to be a good soldier and follow orders.

TexasRam

Legend
Not to mention Snead drafted some undersized DT named Donald who dominated the Senior Bowl a few years back and that sort of worked out well for the Rams.

Ram65

Legend
Yup small school and big school players on an even playing field. Snead and the scouting department have enabled the Rams to trade high draft picks for better players. Rams add key players Goff, Watkins, Peters, Cooks, and Talib traded for draft picks and have been able to so far not miss a beat. Going forward we finally have confidence that the Rams are making solid management decisions that better the team. The Senior Bowl is a good venue to see players up close in even competition that the Rams use as a big asset in their player evaluation process.

Last edited:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Sean McVay and Les Snead seem to be on the same page and that's a good thing as I believe they have a similar philosophy as to how to win in this league, whereas previously, Les had to be a good soldier and follow orders.

Jeez @den-the-coach you make it sound like they were selecting stiffs when Fisher was around........they did OK I'd say!

just goofin' on ya!!!

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Jeez @den-the-coach you make it sound like they were selecting stiffs when Fisher was around........they did OK I'd say!

Yes, they did, but IMO, Snead & McVay work in concert together, with Fisher, he had final say and used it accordingly. Not posting it was a bad thing, but it existed nonetheless as we come to an understanding being Los Angeles Ram fans, that Les is more!

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Let's not forget that Isaiah Pead was a Senior Bowl flash in the pan.

I would take the Senior Bowl and all that you glean from it combined with plenty of other factors before drafting somebody based on their Senior Bowl performance alone.
I'm not saying that's what Snead is doing but that's kind of what the article is indicating.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

I don't watch college ball but I was under the impression that he had a very good college career. That's just from memory of the responses on message boards about him being picked.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I don't watch college ball but I was under the impression that he had a very good college career. That's just from memory of the responses on message boards about him being picked.
You make the Senior Bowl if you have a very good college career.

My point was that he looked really great in the Senior Bowl in college but his NFL career was "a flash in the pan".
But I remember Fisher & or Snead mentioning that he really caught their eye in the Senior Bowl.

But the point you made is why I put in the last sentence on my post above.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
You make the Senior Bowl if you have a very good college career.

My point was that he looked really great in the Senior Bowl in college but his NFL career was "a flash in the pan".
But I remember Fisher & or Snead mentioning that he really caught their eye in the Senior Bowl.

But the point you made is why I put in the last sentence on my post above.

OK I see what you mean now thanks for clarification. My mistake.

Hell you are giving Pead too much credit and while I wish him well in life his NFL career was a complete and total flop. A flash in the pan would have at least "flashed". 27 carries and 100 yards for his career and he gained 19 on one carry..........but had 5 years on rosters collecting checks.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Pead and Tavon are lucky they don't pay per yard.

They would be broker than me!

Well.... maybe not Tavon. :D

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

I would take the Senior Bowl and all that you glean from it combined with plenty of other factors before drafting somebody based on their Senior Bowl performance alone.
I'm not saying that's what Snead is doing but that's kind of what the article is indicating.

IcallBS on I Pead. He was not a bad selection talent wise. He had he’d issues. If he did not go to Cindy, I think things would have been different imo.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Oh yeah Pead had the talent.
He was just a head case.

That long self-centered article that was done on him where he was sitting in his basement throwing the ball against the wall because he didn't get to start immediately?
It was all downhill from there.
The Rams did not do their homework on him, in my opinion.