Why the Rams don't own rams.com

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Liz Roscher,Shutdown Corner 5 hours ago
7faf12a51f9aa87fbc64e15f2fe86489

If you go to rams.com, you’ll find information about the Bighorn Ram and not the Los Angeles Rams. (Wikimedia Commons)
When a sports team doesn’t own the domain name for their own mascot, it can be confusing. You’re trying to find information about your team and instead you get, well, the opposite of that. There are more than a few NFL teams with this issue, but the most amusing of them all could be rams.com. The Los Angeles Rams don’t own it, which is why when you visit rams.com you get actual information about rams, the animal and not the NFL franchise made up of humans.

Alden Gonzalez at ESPN found the guy who owns rams.com and talked to him about why he owns it. The answer is surprising and weird and kind of wonderful. The guy’s name is Adam Dicker, and he just likes animals. Seriously.

“I love animals, and that’s about it,” Dicker said in a phone conversation. “That’s my motivation for buying it.”

Dicker apparently watches a lot of Animal Planet, and when he sees an animal he likes, he looks up the domain name. He’ll buy it if it’s not too expensive and then put up a site with pictures and information. And that’s what you see when you go to rams.com: information about the bighorn ram and its unique curved horns.

It seems a little suspicious that Dicker owns a bunch of animal domain names, but he says it’s an honest hobby and not something he’s doing just to make money off of sports teams.

Dicker owns, or has owned, several other similar sites. Such as elephants.com, pigs.com, seals.com, giraffes.com, hyenas.com and even worms.com. At one point, he estimates to have possessed about 20 animal sites.

“And you can see by that pattern, none of them represent sports teams,” Dicker noted. “There’s no worm, there’s no pig, there’s no elephant. Surprisingly enough, there’s no giraffe. You’d think there’d be a basketball team called the Giraffes.”

To be honest, sports teams need to get on some of these animals right now, because both worms and giraffes would make exceptional mascots. (Just imagine a fierce worm wearing a football helmet and it’ll be the best thing to pop into your brain all day.)

Gonzalez says Dicker has owned rams.com for a decade, so he was definitely not thinking about the football team when he bought it. Of course, now that the Rams are a relevant team again they’re interested in owning rams.com, and have talked to Dicker about buying it. But apparently the two parties have vastly different ideas of what the domain name is worth.

The Rams, who would not comment for this story, spoke to Dicker about purchasing the rams.com domain right around the time they moved from St. Louis to Los Angeles early in the 2016 calendar year. But the two sides were far apart. How far? Dicker’s initial asking price was $1 million, and the Rams countered with something in the neighborhood of $2,500, a source said.

So they’re a little far apart, then! Just a bit! And apparently after that conversation, the Rams haven’t spoken to him about it again, willing to continue on without ownership of rams.com. Dicker found a different buyer, though. He’s selling the domain to an unidentified international company for six figures. While it’s less than the $1 million price he quoted the Rams, it’s definitely more than the $2,500 the Rams offered. (Dicker didn’t elaborate on the sale price.)

The internet can be truly wonderful. The Rams are an NFL team with millions of dollars, but Dicker got to the domain name first, and now he controls it. If the Rams want it, they’ll have to buy it, but on Dicker’s terms. So if you’re looking for information on the stately, glorious bighorn ram, just head to rams.com. If you want information about the Rams football team, you’ll have to go somewhere else.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/rams-dont-rams-com-175832668.html

Too bad Rod didn't think of this years ago, we might all be season ticket holders now. :LOL:

More likely @-X- would be watching the Rams from Tahiti.

Last edited:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Gonzalez says Dicker has owned rams.com for a decade, so he was definitely not thinking about the football team when he bought it.

This is yet another piece of evidence that the Rams have been SO badly managed, and have had shit marketing for SO long.

How the FUCK does an NFL team NOT buy that domain as soon as Al Gore invented the internet?!?!?!?

How was that available back in 2007???

It's kind of embarrassing.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This is yet another piece of evidence that the Rams have been SO badly managed, and have had crap marketing for SO long.

How the freak does an NFL team NOT buy that domain as soon as Al Gore invented the internet?!?!?!?

Perhaps Georgia saw an old goat staring back at her thru her mirror and didn't want to be reminded ?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I'm not impressed that someone owns rams.com, however, I am impressed that someone bought the rights to larams.com that's why the Los Angeles Rams website is therams.com.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
This is yet another piece of evidence that the Rams have been SO badly managed, and have had crap marketing for SO long.

How the freak does an NFL team NOT buy that domain as soon as Al Gore invented the internet?!?!?!?

lol. c'mon.

They bought the domain stlouisrams.com.
There are multiple teams that don't own the domain of the mascot name of their team.
Like @Zodi already pointed out.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not impressed that someone owns rams.com, however, I am impressed that someone bought the rights to larams.com that's why the Los Angeles Rams website is therams.com.

that's ok because most people call them the rams.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Didn't a woman in L.A. snatch up LA Rams.com as soon as she heard they were moving? I can picture her fervor as she had an epiphany and didn't want anyone to beat her to it. She probably thought she hit the lottery. Then the letdown when they wouldn't pay up. For shame.

I would guess that LA Rams is the more desirable domain name. And I understand this guy having a high asking price. Korea's is loaded, after all. But, a million dollars is way overboard. Consider what the Rams gain from it. They don't get rich off their team site, and it is easy enough to find them with a search engine lot me Bing or Google. Having the perfect domain name is not critical.

I am curious about a the international company and their interest in the name, that makes it worth six figures. Seems fishy to me. Are they convinced they can get the million from the Rams?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
that's ok because most people call them the rams.

I think most fans refer to their teams without the city name, the Eagles, Stteelers, Patriots etc....But good point, however, the irony is someone bought that domain name to collect some money if they ever moved back and then when they did, that person did not get one red cent as the team just changed it up.