Why the Ram O-Line is the real key to the season

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Outside Todd Gurley, there are very few certainties about the Ram offense. A rookie #1 overall QB and a veteran journeyman can only deliver as much as the other 10 players can execute. The WR corps is unproven, chock full of speculative talent but short on productivity. The tight ends are in transition as rookie Higbeast learns the craft Cookie crumbled. Groh has been tasked to inject competence to an uninspiring passing attack.

The defense is believed certain to perform anywhere from better than average to absolutely dominant. While injuries can deplete or decimate any NFL unit, it is hard to imagine a Gregg Williams defense manned by
talent like Donald, Quinn, McDonald, Ogletree, Johnson, Barron, Gaines, Brockers, and Hayes falling very much in their third year together collectively. And while I admire this granite floor, the ceiling may be the Sistine Chapel.

But the true gauge of the 2017 season will be the story of the of the Ram offensive line. It's been more than a dozen years since any Ram OLine has been mostly healthy for an entire season. Can Brown and Saffold stay healthy? Aren't Wichmann and Reynolds good insurance if they can't? Can GRob realize his enormous potential? Shouldn't they be better with another year's experience? Barnes is underpowered but savvy and smart enough to make the line calls, i.e. competent. Havenstein actually exceeded expectations.

But how would improved OLine play impact the overall team? Why do I call them the key to the season? My answer is that even average blocking will allow Gurley an outstanding chance to break records. Very good pass protection will allow the offense to open up beyond bubble screens, slants, and bombs off play action. It's easy to have few sacks when most of your passes don't require your QB to make a five step drop and step up in the pocket. Many lament the lack of QB and receiver talent but consider this: did the Colts have a QB and good receivers when Luck had one of the worst QBR's in the league last year? How did Russell Wilson fare when the Ram pass rush got the better of the Seachicken OLine? My contention, if the Ram OLine shows marked improvement, this is a contending team THIS YEAR.

If not, well, Hey Lucy....will you hold the ball for me again so I can kick it?

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Outside Todd Gurley, there are very few certainties about the Ram offense. A rookie #1 overall QB and a veteran journeyman can only deliver as much as the other 10 players can execute. The WR corps is unproven, chock full of speculative talent but short on productivity. The tight ends are in transition as rookie Higbeast learns the craft Cookie crumbled. Groh has been tasked to inject competence to an uninspiring passing attack.

The defense is believed certain to perform anywhere from better than average to absolutely dominant. While injuries can deplete or decimate any NFL unit, it is hard to imagine a Gregg Williams defense manned by
talent like Donald, Quinn, McDonald, Ogletree, Johnson, Barron, Gaines, Brockers, and Hayes falling very much in their third year together collectively. And while I admire this granite floor, the ceiling may be the Sistine Chapel.

But the true gauge of the 2017 season will be the story of the of the Ram offensive line. It's been more than a dozen years since any Ram OLine has been mostly healthy for an entire season. Can Brown and Saffold stay healthy? Aren't Wichmann and Reynolds good insurance if they can't? Can GRob realize his enormous potential? Shouldn't they be better with another year's experience? Barnes is underpowered but savvy and smart enough to make the line calls, i.e. competent. Havenstein actually exceeded expectations.

But how would improved OLine play impact the overall team? Why do I call them the key to the season? My answer is that even average blocking will allow Gurley an outstanding chance to break records. Very good pass protection will allow the offense to open up beyond bubble screens, slants, and bombs off play action. It's easy to have few sacks when most of your passes don't require your QB to make a five step drop and step up in the pocket. Many lament the lack of QB and receiver talent but consider this: did the Colts have a QB and good receivers when Luck had one of the worst QBR's in the league last year? How did Russell Wilson fare when the Ram pass rush got the better of the Seachicken OLine? My contention, if the Ram OLine shows marked improvement, this is a contending team THIS YEAR.

I agree that the oline is key. The best part is they don't have to be great at run blocking just average and Gurley will dominate. They were good at pass blocking last year but awful in run blocking. If they can stay healthy watch out!

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I couldn't agree more, rams season hinges on how well the OL does. I've been a big supporter of GRob, but if he doesn't play at least as well as his last five games I'll be in favor of the Rams finding a new LT. One reason I don't want Saffold starting is his history of getting hurt. Let him be first off the bench this year. Let Reynolds start next to him and then maybe let Brown get time in at LG when we are sure GRob is getting it.

The key for this young Rams OL is continuity. The shuffling and starting of different players really hurts their chance of success. They absolutely HAVE to decide on a starting 5, and leave it alone. Of course the Rams OL rarely makes it out of TC without one of them going on IR. the depth of the OL is probably the deepest its been in 10 years.

If the Rams OL gets a break and they get through TC without a starter going on IR, GRob picks up where he left off, the Rams can make the playoffs.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
The OL staying healthy for a change of pace could certainly be a game changer. 5 rookies with a year under their belt has to be at least fractionally better developed. Add that our new starting Center and LT who were finally showing major improvement towards the end of last season, chemistry should be night and day. Gurley running well over 1500 yards is a real possibility, last year he missed 3 complete games plus only had 6 touches during his first actual start. We can hardly do worse in our passing game with the Rams Foles/Keenum tandem rating dead last, so even a rookie QB will be hard pressed to show as poorly with what should be a much improved OL. And how much worse can the combination of Kendricks/Higbee/Harkey be than Cook/Kendricks/Harkey ? Even our no-name WR corps may be slightly better with both Britt & Quick in 'contract' years, and likely on a short leash also. The O has stated plans to get TA more involved, and with a logjam at the position with the two WR draftees as well as Nelson Spruce and several other UDFA's, we could see a real shake-up on the receiving unit.

As for a previous poster's mention (Hotanez) of poor rush blocking by our Defensive front 7, ... kinda like Cook on offense, the Rams got much better with the rush D just based on losing Laurinaitis. JL had the second worst grade against the rush out of the 97 graded LB'ers. He scored a 20.6 with PFF, ... just for comparison, even though he didn't grade because of his lack of snaps, Ogletree scored an 84.6 in rush defense for his limited time on the field. Also, whether actual rush D improvement occurs on the front line in 2016 or not, the Rams have made an effort by bringing in free agents Cam Thomas, Coples & Easley, two of whom scored higher than Sims, Chris Long & Westbrooks.

Camp is going to be fun this year, depth may be at a decade long high when all is said and done. jmo.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
The tight ends are in transition as rookie Higbeast learns the craft Cookie crumbled.

Don't know how to put this in "Rod Quotes", but it belongs there.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
The OL staying healthy for a change of pace could certainly be a game changer. 5 rookies with a year under their belt has to be at least fractionally better developed. Add that our new starting Center and LT who were finally showing major improvement towards the end of last season, chemistry should be night and day. Gurley running well over 1500 yards is a real possibility, last year he missed 3 complete games plus only had 6 touches during his first actual start. We can hardly do worse in our passing game with the Rams Foles/Keenum tandem rating dead last, so even a rookie QB will be hard pressed to show as poorly with what should be a much improved OL. And how much worse can the combination of Kendricks/Higbee/Harkey be than Cook/Kendricks/Harkey ? Even our no-name WR corps may be slightly better with both Britt & Quick in 'contract' years, and likely on a short leash also. The O has stated plans to get TA more involved, and with a logjam at the position with the two WR draftees as well as Nelson Spruce and several other UDFA's, we could see a real shake-up on the receiving unit.

As for a previous poster's mention (Hotanez) of poor rush blocking by our Defensive front 7, ... kinda like Cook on offense, the Rams got much better with the rush D just based on losing Laurinaitis. JL had the second worst grade against the rush out of the 97 graded LB'ers. He scored a 20.6 with PFF, ... just for comparison, even though he didn't grade because of his lack of snaps, Ogletree scored an 84.6 in rush defense for his limited time on the field. Also, whether actual rush D improvement occurs on the front line in 2016 or not, the Rams have made an effort by bringing in free agents Cam Thomas, Coples & Easley, two of whom scored higher than Sims, Chris Long & Westbrooks.

Camp is going to be fun this year, depth may be at a decade long high when all is said and done. jmo.
Lol sorry but I never mentioned the defense.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Lol sorry but I never mentioned the defense.

My mistake, I took your second line "They were good at pass blocking last year but awful in run blocking." as a comment on the D rather than the O since I believed that to be more correct at the time.
I would probably argue the statement about the OL being good at pass blocking last year because the stats are skewed by our very low pass numbers, so it made sense we didn't give up many sacks. We did have a good many QB 'hurries', although most all of our QB stats were quite poor, and while a lot of it is on the QB's, plenty should also be attributed to our substandard OL and receivers too. jmo.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
O line is the key to Goff maturing as a QB and the key to allowing out playmakers to hit the hole. Plain and simple, we all seen what happened to Bradford because he was never given a decent O line, Gurley doesn't need much room to make a play but players like Tavon need time to get open and explode. Again praise to coaches and Snead for going out and focusing on building the line last year, I think it all fall on man .......GREG ROBINSON, he needs to be the leader and finally step up.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
OL is definitely key, as always, but I really think the TE and WR corps will be a huge factor in how they play this year.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Outsiders usually point to the line when they predict the Rams to have a losing season. I think they're just guilty of perception and relying on past history. They don't take the time to research. The line was pretty bad for a long time. But last year they were a league low in sacks allowed and middle of the pack in hits and hurries. That alone says they weren't terrible.

Add in the fact that they were mostly relying on first and second year players, that would be very impressive. Its not unreasonable to think they will improve with so many young players. Havenstein was solid at RT. Wichmann was a beast in run blocking. GRob has been a disappointment but you can't point to lack of effort with him. He's been working hard in the offseason. Don't be surprised to see him become an asset instead of a liability. Maybe not top of the league type asset, but much improved.

Reynolds was a pleasant surprise as he was signed more for depth than anything else. I know people were down on Barnes but he's got some run blocking ability and can get to the second level. Saffold is a saavy vet but injury prone. Brown showed promise before he got hurt.

All in all they have a potential to go from a weak link to a strong unit. They just need the passing game to step up and keep defenses honest so Gurley can do this thing.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The OLine is definitely going to have to grow off of last years progress. If they're able to keep progressing it will make it easier for our young QB and his WR/TE group. If the OLine struggles it'll hinder Goff's growth and the offense will struggle putting more pressure on the D. The OLine is just one cog in the wheel but it's a very important one for sure.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

I agree, on Offence, it all starts in the "Trenches", as it does on Defense!(y)
But! You skipped right by, without mention, one of our PRIME Weapons on Offence Tavon Austin!:D

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
O line is the key to Goff maturing as a QB and the key to allowing out playmakers to hit the hole. Plain and simple, we all seen what happened to Bradford because he was never given a decent O line, Gurley doesn't need much room to make a play but players like Tavon need time to get open and explode. Again praise to coaches and Snead for going out and focusing on building the line last year, I think it all fall on man .......GREG ROBINSON, he needs to be the leader and finally step up.

I concur Adi.... mr. Greg Robinson needs to turn the corner in 2016 because he's now had enough snaps at the pro-level to lean on his experience from the mental errors that have plagued him from reaching his potential.

PFF Ranks The Rams Offensive Lines

RAMS: Overall Rank 28th

Pass-blocking rank: 25th
Run-blocking rank: 27th
Penalties rank: 22nd

[www.profootballfocus.com]
Stud: Journeyman guard-tackle Garrett Reynolds came in and was particularly impressive in the run game. Dud:Another year like this one, and Greg Robinsonwill be well on the way to bust status. It’s not just the penaltiescausing problems—it’s the consistent amount of pressure he’s allowing.

Summary: With so much young talent, it may take a while for the Rams’ Line to come together. Unfortunately, it’s biggest risk(Robinson)isn’t paying off right now, but if there’s solace, it’s that Ron Havenstein looked the part as a rookie. This whole group needs to make a big leap in 2016.

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS Ranks The NFL Offensive Lines
[www.footballoutsiders.com] Link for detailed charts/graphs

RAMS:
Pass-Blocking
Sacks Allowed 18
Ajusted Sack Rate 3.5%

Run-Blocking rank: 24th
Run-Power Blocking rank: 20th
Run-Stuffed rank: 28th

http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2016/1/31/10832418/l-a-rams-dont-give-up-on-greg-robinson
When Greg Robinson was selected second overall in the 2014 NFL draft, fans were treated to videos of him slapping college opponents around. He was a uncontrollable freight train for Auburn University. "Pancake" blocks were his mainstay, and he looked like a giant among men...

Turning the page - from college to the Pros - hasn't been smooth for Robinson. He arrived at the St. Louis ( now Los Angeles) Rams training camp with #2 overall draft pick expectations. The idea head coach Jeff Fisher had of starting him out at guard seemed like a good one? Then one of those "best laid plans..." things happened. Injuries along the Rams' offensive line in 2014 created a need at left tackle; one Robinson wasn't ready to fill.

He did his best to step up, but fundamental adjustments offensive line coach Paul Boudreau began to instill in Robinson hadn't taken hold. The Auburn star looked lost on the field. Missed blocks, and pass blocking miscues were glaring. With Rams fans still haunted by a failed left tackle #2 overall draft pick in 2009 (Jason Smith), the pressure began to prematurely build on Robinson; outside any kind of well reasoned norm...

I constantly remind NFL fans about the varying learning curves each player goes through after college. They can be short, long, or never ending to the point a player earns the dreaded "Bust" paint. It's just my opinion, but I think fans whip out their "bust brushes" way to early in many cases. There's a difference between "reasons" and "excuses" when it comes to evaluating where a player is along his development line.

Having a quarterback who can move around a bit helps. Yet, I really don't think mobility means as much as calling out protection changes. Usually the job of the quarterback or center, what they see as they come to the line of scrimmage is a key component in every play.

Blocking assignments can be shifted and changed up to the moment the ball is snapped. If you don't have someone who knows what he's seeing in a defensive alignment or shift, the offensive line is left with their assignment designated in the original play call. Unlike defensive linemen - who can roll, stunt, spin, ect... - an offensive lineman has narrowly defined responsibilities within the play call itself. In an "after the fact" second, linemen are constantly a half second behind what a defensive lineman is doing. Protection changes - especially in pass blocking - can mitigate some of this, but not all...

If Greg Robinson has a "to do" list, it's his pass blocking. But the Rams' Jeff Fisher and Les Snead knew this when they drafted him. At Auburn, pass blocking wasn't at the top of their list. Robinson fit the bill for Fisher's "run the ball down their throats" philosophy. The problem is, the NFL can bury a team that's one dimensional on offense. Leadership in the offensive huddle doesn't get near the importance it deserves.

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...son-working-with-lecharles-bentley-in-arizona
"He’s learned a lot," general manager Les Snead said. "He got more consistent down the stretch this year than let’s call it the first eight games and like we were talking about, long story short he was a redshirt sophomore from a spread offense when he got there.

Hey, playing at Auburn his junior year probably would have been good for him,
maybe even his senior year. He had to learn the hard way in our league. Because he played out there on an island and he’s a left tackle we all see the moments where he’s not where you want him to be. But in that, there’s some moments where like 'Holy cow, he just did that to Calais Campbell.’

When you see that you want to continue developing him and getting him to be a more consistent player."To that end, the onus falls on Robinson himself even more than it does the Rams coaching staff. Which is why Robinson has been spending most of his offseason working to make himself better. Last year at this time,Robinson was recovering from a toe surgery that prevented him from having a full offseason to prepare.

#73 LT GREG ROBINSON 6'5 332 lbs (Turns 24 on 10/21/2016)
Greg_Robinson___OT___Auburn.gif

Rams43

Hall of Fame
They say it all starts with the two lines.

Hard to disagree, imo.

We're in great shape on our DL, of course.

I'm very optimistic about our OL for '16. If they continue to improve this year, as expected, then all things become possible for Goff, Gurley, Austin, Cooper, and Higbee. Among others.

But the proof must come with their on the field performance.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
No team ever had a decent offense without at least an average O line. Football 101.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No team ever had a decent offense without at least an average O line. Football 101.
Seahawks the last 3 or 4 years. Patriots the last few years. Carolina last year. Not necessarily true if your team has a great QB. Last year the OLine was decent in Denver the two years before it was horrible.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Definitely can make life easier on Gurley & Goff....

And I think they're finally built for the challenge....I can't wait to see the battle between Brown, Saffold, and Wichman...And Battle, Williams, are coming for G-Rob & Havenstein... And Kush is probably going to replace Rhaney....