Why the quality of O-line play in the NFL is getting worse/Prisco

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Why the quality of O-line play in the NFL is getting worse
August 31, 2015 2:20 pm ET

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer...e-quality-of-o-line-play-in-the-nfl-is-putrid

By Pete Prisco

TAMPA -- Watching the putrid offensive line play of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers here Saturday night, with their franchise rookie passer getting sacked twice and throwing a pressure-induced pick on his first three possessions, the question many are asking around the league popped up again:

What the heck has happened to the line play in the NFL?

Throughout training camp and these mundane preseason games, much of the constant talk around the league has been about poor offensive line play, and the Bucs played that part well in their blowout loss to the Cleveland Browns on Saturday night. Tampa Bay is starting two rookies and the right tackle who played against the Browns is a fill-in for down starter Demar Dotson and newcomer Gosder Cherilus, but even so it was a terrible showing.

They are not alone. Whether it's a lack of game planning to offset the blitzing defenses in some instances, or just flat-out bad play by a position group that seems to get worse by the year, NFL quarterbacks have mostly spent the summer with opponents in their face, or dumping them to the ground.

If your team has a good offensive line -- that's you, Dallas and a select handful of others -- consider it a great fortune. They are rare and tough to find. Many teams have major issues, including several good teams like the Seattle Seahawks.

The question is why?

To help answer it, I reached out to two former NFL offensive linemen that I respect greatly. One is former center/guard LeCharles Bentley, who now trains linemen in the offseason at his O-Line Performance facility in Arizona. The other is former Jacksonville Jaguars offensive tackle Tony Boselli, who should be in the Pro Football Hall of Fame as one of the best tackles I've seen with my eyes.

One aspect both mentioned was the college game. With so many spread offenses now, players are not prepared to play on an NFL line. The growth period is much greater than it used to be. The ability to put the hand in the dirt and come out of a stance and run block is becoming a lost art.

“Colleges are sending more mentally, technically and physically unprepared players to the NFL,” Bentley said. “Pro coaches are then expected to fix issues that have been reinforced over the last four or five years of a kid's career.”

That, in turn, leads to another problem, Bentley said.

“Offensive line coaches are so overwhelmed with responsibilities that even the most-seasoned coaches are having a hard time managing the coaching and teaching,” he said. “Offenses are getting more schematically demanding that coaches are spending most of their time getting caught up on X's and O's and lose focus on the nuances of playing the position. Teams would be better off hiring a coach and a skills coach who can focus solely on the craft. That's supposed to be the assistant's job, but many assistants are unqualified and too focused cultivating their egos and not the player's skills. What we see now is a compounding effect. It's really not fair to the O-line coaches. There are some good coaches who just don't have the time they need.”

The limits on practice time and training camp also plays a big part in the stunted growth of the players.

“Offensive line is the most technical position there is, and it's a position of repetition,” Boselli said. “The guy who plays now gets half the reps hat I got in training camp. Maybe even less. So you have a position that isn't coached pro-style in college and you ask the guys in the pros to fix it and they don't have the time to teach it. There is limited time on the field. They have to put in the scheme and the offense and still try and teach the nuances need to play the position. The natural evolution is that it is not as good as it once was.”

In the three drafts from 2012-2014, there were 18 offensive linemen taken in the first round, including eight in the top-10 of those drafts. None of those players taken in the top 10 has been to a Pro Bowl, and only three of the 18 have played in one.

Moreover, many of those top-10 tackles have struggled, including Minnesota's Matt Kalil, Kansas City's Eric Fisher and Jacksonville's Luke Joeckel. It used to be a top-10 tackle was a pretty sure thing. Not anymore.

I talked with one general manager last week who said now teams hope to simply get a guy who can just be middle of the road at left tackle. It's not so much about elite, but more about survival.

The flip side Saturday night was the Browns' line. It is one of the better units in the league, and the left side, manned by tackle Joe Thomas and guard Joel Bitonio, is arguably the best side in the NFL. But even on a good line, there are issues. Right tackle Mitchell Schwartz has had his troubles.

It's not like teams can just replace a starter with a backup. They're even worse.

“The biggest drop-off of all position, maybe in all of sports, between starter and backup is at offensive line,” Bentley said.

Translation: What a team has starting now is pretty much the only option.

So quarterbacks get ready to get the ball out quick or face the consequences. The five guys up front on most teams might not have your back after all.

Another sign the preseason is too long?

The preseason crowds grow worse by the year. Even in Week 3 of the preseason, considered the dress rehearsal and best week of the four, there were tons of empty seats. In Tampa, there couldn't have been 35,000 for the Bucs-Browns. In St. Louis, pretty much the same. The preseason is really becoming tiring to all -- especially the fans.

There's bigger fish fry, no?

So now the NFL might look into the glove issues. What's next? Are we serious? Like we discussed on our podcast last week, take more stock of the shoes -- not the gloves.

More preseason musings:

Washington Redskins
The Washington Redskins' circus seems to be in full swing with the quarterback mess. But anybody who thinks Kirk Cousins is the long-term answer is nuts. Once Robert Griffin III is cleared to play after his concussion issues, he should be the starter. I know the Redskins plan to start Cousins, but that makes no sense. He isn't that good. They have to find out if RGIII can play at all. If he can't, move on next year. But neither Cousins nor Colt McCoy is the answer. That talk of trading Cousins for a first-year pick a couple of years ago is now laughable after he played himself out of that chance. He was just OK against the Ravens Saturday night. He's a backup at best. What's the point of playing him?

Miami Dolphins
It takes passers and pass rushers to win in the NFL. If the preseason is an indication, the Miami Dolphins should be fine in both areas. With the addition of Ndamukong Suh up front, the Miami defensive line should be one of the best in the league. With Olivier Vernon and Cameron Wake playing on the outside, the Dolphins have a nice group to get after the quarterback. But the most impressive part of the preseason for Miami has been the continued growth of quarterback Ryan Tannehill. He completed over 80 percent of his passes and had a passer rating of 121.8 in the preseason. That's pretty impressive. If he can come close to that in the regular season, the Dolphins will be a playoff team. The one concern, like so many teams, is the line in front of him. Left tackle Brandon Albert hasn't played all preseason coming back from an ACL injury, and the guard play is average.

Detroit Lions
Detroit's Golden Taint might be the best No. 2 receiver in the NFL. Taint caught a 62-yard touchdown pass against the Jaguars last Friday night and also had a nice move after catching a pass earlier in the game. With Calvin Johnson out last year, Taint did some really good things as the Lions' top receiver. With Johnson on the field, Taint is relegated to playing second fiddle to Johnson. But it's clear that all those who said Seattle didn't have a good receiver when he was there were way off base. Taint is perfect for Matthew Stafford and company. In Seattle, he was an appendage to a running offense and the limited passing attack.

Jacksonville Jaguars
The Jaguars have pass-rush problems. For all the optimism about quarterback Blake Bortles and his growth, the pass rush is really bad. And that was before end Andre Branch injured a knee against the Lions. They will have to scheme up things just to get close to the 45 sacks they had in 2014. Think about it. Their best pass rushers are a 36-year-old end (Chris Clemons) who practiced little with the team since the 2014 season ended and a defensive tackle (Sen'Derrick Marks) coming off major ACL surgery. The loss off first-round pick Dante Fowler to a knee injury in May will really impact this team. Bortles better be good. They might be in a lot of shootouts.

Houston Texans
I still think the Houston Texans made a major blunder by not taking Bortles in the 2014 draft. There's a chance the Texans could fall to the bottom of this division in a year or two because of the quarterback spot. The Jaguars have Bortles, the Titans have Marcus Mariota and the Colts have Andrew Luck. The Texans have Brian Hoyer. That's trouble.

Tennessee Titans
Mariota is a quiet, seemingly easy-going guy, but the Titans had to love seeing him bounce up and not take too kindly to Justin Houston standing over him following a sack Friday night. Mariota isn't going to be pushed around, just because he's considered a nice guy. Titans staffers say that quiet, easy-going approach isn't always the way Mariota conducts himself. "That's just what he shows you guys," one team source said. "He loosens up more than you know."

Denver Broncos
The move by the Broncos to sign veteran guard Evan Mathis made a lot of sense. He will take over for rookie Max Garcia, who won the starting left guard spot in camp. The Broncos needed some veteran help on what is a young line. Rookie Ty Sambrailo is set to be the left tackle, while center Max Paradis has never taken a snap in a regular-season game. Mathis is 33, but he fits with what the Broncos want to do on offense, which is zone block in Gary Kubiak's scheme.

Philadelphia Eagles
The Eagles have to be thrilled with the play of quarterback Sam Bradford against the Packers Saturday night. He was sensational. I think Bradford is a great fit in the Chip Kelly offense. He was 10-for-10 with three touchdown passes and a passer rating of 156.7 against the Packers.

Kansas City Chiefs
Alex Smith looked good against the Titans. The addition of Jeremy Maclin looks good so far. He had seven catches for 65 yards and a touchdown. Yes, a receiver catching a touchdown pass for the Chiefs. Unreal.

Dallas Cowboys
I hate when good players go down for the year, and that's exactly what happened to Cowboys corner Orlando Scandrick last week. The feisty corner tore his ACL, MCL and is lost for the year. That will put a lot of pressure on Morris Claiborne and Tyler Patmon to step up their games. The improved pass rush could help cover up the loss of Scandrick, but he is a good player for a secondary that needs him.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Tampa Bay has a real find in fourth-round rookie Kwon Alexander. Penciled in already as the starting middle linebacker, he can fly to the football. And he packs quite a punch. Alexander blasted Browns quarterback Josh McCown in Saturday's game. He covered a ton of ground on that play to get to the quarterback. With Lavonte David and Alexander on the field on all downs, the Bucs have great speed at linebacker. That can close a lot of holes on a defense, much like the Seattle linebackers do for that unit.

San Francisco 49ers
Good to see NaVorro Bowman back making plays for the 49ers. He looks like the pre-injury Bowman. He suffered a torn ACL in the NFC Championship Game in January of 2014, missed all of last season, but now looks back to his pre-injury ways. He had two sacks and seemed to be everywhere against the Broncos.
Seattle Seahawks
The Seattle offense sure hasn't looked good so far in the preseason. That line could be a season-long issue, even worse than the past couple of seasons. Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson said he's not concerned with the poor play by the offense so far. He should be.

Atlanta Falcons
Julio Jones getting a long-term deal was a no-brainer. Next up: A.J. Green of the Bengals.

Oakland Raiders
Khalil Mack showed the Arizona Cardinals and the rest of the NFL that he is poised for a big season. Mack spent the night in the backfield against Arizona, getting two sacks and dominating most of his time on the field.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
With so many spread offenses now, players are not prepared to play on an NFL line. The growth period is much greater than it used to be. The ability to put the hand in the dirt and come out of a stance and run block is becoming a lost art.
May explain some of G-Rob's run blocking...he doesn't mash people all the time...but when he does, watch out...Looks like an angles thing...I still love this pick...woulda traded back and took Lewan, but now that I see G-Rob, love this pick....

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Seattle Seahawks
The Seattle offense sure hasn't looked good so far in the preseason. That line could be a season-long issue, even worse than the past couple of seasons. Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson said he's not concerned with the poor play by the offense so far. He should be.
Hopefully he'll get a real chance to worry about it on opening day.

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
in the three drafts from 2012-2014, there were 18 offensive linemen taken in the first round, including eight in the top-10 of those drafts. None of those players taken in the top 10 has been to a Pro Bowl, and only three of the 18 have played in one. (rambill).

THAT is a stunning stat to sit back and think about.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
I'm pretty sure the Rams agree with this, which is why they took Havenstein, Brown and Donnell from pro-style offenses with pro-style blocking. I think Wichmann, too, but I don't know what type of offense Fresno State runs.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I just think the better faster players who play the line will always want to be on the defensive side of the ball not on the offensive side. It just attracts the better athletes.

I know when I played many years ago on both sides of the line it was the being defensive that fired me up. I am not that "abby normal".:whistle:

You have to fight & beat your ego into submission first to play the OL. Not something we see very often today.:cautious:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I don't know what type of offense Fresno State runs.
They've ran both while Wichmann was there...They currently run their version of the spread..

I know when I played many years ago on both sides of the line it was the being defensive that fired me up.
Jack Youngblood made me want off the O-Line...had I known what a LT would pay, shoulda stayed over there just a bit longer...;)

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
It's the bad habits they pick in college and can't let go.Playing in a spread offense in college doesn't help either.It just amazes me how we can't put together a decent line with all the picks we've had.The current crop that we do have I have high hopes for but how long will it take them to gel.Fisher is partly to blame for this he should of drafted better.Maybe that way he wouldn't of had to spend 5 picks this year on just the Ol.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
From another site:
FanPost
GRob and Hav play-by-play Vs the Colts... OL trending up

By Will not be defeated on Aug 31, 2015, 10:39a 8

Tweet Share

Pin

After the long post last week detailing the whole line vs the Titans I have limited this one to looking at Greg Robinson and Rob Havenstein, although I have also recorded what I think are other notable moments.

Also, the normal disclaimer exists; I am just a fan recording what I see each play and am aware that I am not going to be invited to submit my resume to assist Coach Boo anytime soon.

The Colts are lined up in a 3-4 D unless stated.

1st possession

1st & 10:

Grob lines up across from the DE (Kendall Langford). Off the snap Langford moves half a step right to make sure he is not completely aligned with GRob. Langford puts his straightened left arm in to GRob's chest and uses that to pivot himself around GRobs left side. GRob never manages to clear Langford’s arm until Langford is past an makes the tackle on Mason in the backfield. This looks somewhat pre-planned and may be based upon experience gained from the 2014 training camp.

Hav is quite quick off the line and looking for the OLB (Trent Cole). Hav runs past Cole on the line and has gone too far. To keep Cole out of the play Hav grabs hold of Coles numbers with his dragging right arm (given some of the other ticky tack penalties against the Rams, am surprised this one was not called). Cole starts to come across the line but the play is dead before he gets there.

Of note: On this play Cook was assigned the LB (Bjoern Werner). Cook never gets his hands high enough and Werner comes around him as if Cook is not there and joins Langford in tackling Mason in the backfield.

2nd & 14:

GRob is slow out of his stance against the LB (Jerrell Freeman). Freeman swipes with his right arm and clears GRob’s hands and is off towards Foles. Jamon Brown has GRob’s back and prevents the sack by delivering a big shoulder hit to send Freeman high and away from Foles. Freeman is possessed though and motors back down the field and appears at the right moment to tackle Mason as he receives the pass from Foles.

Hav is one-on-one with the other LB (Erik Walden). Walden dips his right shoulder and tries to speed around the outside. Hav mirrors Walden with 2 kick steps right (Hav’s balance and speed looks okay even if this is not the smoothest motion) but then Kendricks gets in his way to prevent Hav sliding further right with Walden and Walden gains half a yard. Kendricks then goes downfield and leaving Hav chasing Walden. Walden appears to be past for a moment but a desperate (and rather ungainly) chase by Hav allows Hav to push Walden 3 yards high of Foles. Kendricks does a nice job of making Hav to lose form and needs to have greater awareness.

Of note: After the push on Walden, Hav shows good effort to the whistle. As Mason is tackled downfield Hav pops up on screen (he never made an further impact on the play, but the determination to make up ground and block downfield was there).

3rd & 9:

Grob is assigned Freeman (lined up as the 3-4 DE). GRob is up and has 2 steps before Freeman moves. GRob looks to be in a good position as he waits for Freeman. Freeman is slow up and then feints inside. This stands GRob up and then Freeman totally burns GRob around the outside.

Of note: Mason does a good job is picking up Walden looping in from the left OLB spot and drives Walden left away from Foles and directly in to Freeman’s path which stopped Freeman too.

Hav has the DE (Langford). Hav gets good hand position on Langford’s frame & shepherds him outside and high. Langford then takes a chip from Cook and is completely out of the play.

Penalty sends the Rams back.

3rd & 14:

Colts show blitz with 5 but drop the NT into coverage rushing the other 4.

GRob has the LB (Freeman). Freeman immediately comes inside of the snap and Grob lets Freeman comes across his body and allows Freeman to come behind Brown, and then uses Freeman’s momentum to keep sending Freeman right of Foles and out of the play.

Hav initially has the LB (Walden) & delivers a hard two handed punch high up on Walden’s chest which arches Walden back slightly. Walden then stunts inside towards Rhaney and Hav picks up the DE (Langford) who Rhaney handed on. Hav delivers a single punch to Langford and the ball is out.

4th & 5: Punt

2nd possession.

1st & 10:

Grob has Freeman from the LB position. Grob is initially shows good footwork to mirror Freeman inside and then back out, but GRob is looking to get hands on Freeman and overreaches and leaves all his weight on his left leg. Freeman sees this and goes to GRobs right. GRob somehow stays with the job and ends up shoving Freeman in to the dirt behind Foles with a left hand to the back. NB: I believe that GRob had hold of Freeman with his right hand on Freeman’s numbers and used that to swing and pull Freeman down as Freeman went inside otherwise it makes no sense for Freeman to have fallen as he did, but no penalty was called and I cannot see through Freeman to be sure.

Hav has Langford from the DE spot. He gets help from Rhaney inside and Langford is neutralized. Although Langford hustles to stay in the play he has too much work to do to catch up after being well shielded out of the play initially.

1st & 10:

Run play and GRob is up and shields the LB (Trent Cole). Cole tries to come inside but Barrett Jones had come across & hits Cole high and bends Cole back a little.

Hav is very quick off the snap and has 2 hands on Langford’s frame. Hav moves Langford 4 yards inside in an instant and Hav stays on him and leaves Langford sliding backwards across the deck (although Langford does get a hand on the runner as he was going down).

2nd & 5:

GRob chips the DE Langford as he moves out in to the 2nd level where he shields the SS (Mike Adams) outside. This was clearly the designed play call & GRob did his job well, but I have to question the wisdom of any play that leaves Jared Cook to go one-on-one with Langford… no prizes guessing how that match-up ended.

Hav is out on to the LB (Cole) with Kendricks. Hav leaves Kendricks to it and moves up field where he finds Freeman. Hav manhandles Freeman and lets him go after putting him 6 yards down the field.

Of note: Kendricks does not do well once Hav leaves him. Cole passes inside and as the runner has lost moment Cole is able to yank him backwards.

3rd & 3:

GRob initially doubles the DT (David Parry) with Brown and they force Parry down to one knee. GRob then kicks out left to push the LB (Cole) high & Mason is long gone to the right.

Hav has the LB (Jonathan Newsome). Hav grabs Newsome’s frame and gets a bit of a shove on to the outside as Mason goes outside them both. Rhaney then blocks his man in to the back of Hav's legs which drops Hav to the floor. This allows Newsome to get away but he is too far back to have any part of the tackle.

1st & 10:

Play action for the first time.

GRob locks up with the DE (Langford) and gets some help from Brown inside. As Brown moves on, GRob swings Langford left and pulls him down. Not called but could have been.

Hav is off the snap quickly and looking for the LB (Freeman). Freeman backs off when he sees the PA leaving Hav to hold his gap. When no rusher comes Hav trundles downfield. As Hav looks to engage Trent Cole the play goes dead.

Of note: Jones gets called for a face mask. The camera angle is not great and Jones is momentarily out of shot, but I watched this 5 or 6 times and simply cannot see where Jones has his hands that high for the face mask to have happened. I call BS on this one.

1st & 25:

GRob initially goes one-on-one with the LB (Cole) and stonewalls him. GRob then looks to slide left past Cole and then get right. GRob keeps hold of Cole by the numbers with his right arm yanks Cole backwards with a sort of clothesline. Probably should have been called for that.

Hav has the LB (Newsome) and easily shields him outside and out of the play.

2nd & 24:

Colts line up with only the NT as a down lineman. Two more linemen are arriving late to the NTs right and the rest of the D is dropped back. Rams run a screen.

GRob has the DE (Montori Hughes). Hughes bull rushes and GRob is giving up ground. GRob never manages to anchor but holds up for long enough for Foles to draw the other linemen in for the screen.

No initial rusher goes at Hav. Hav gets into a good position once Cunningham goes outside for the screen. Hav blocks the LB (Cole) inside once Cunningham is moving and Cole is out of the play.

Of note: Rhaney got downfield and got in a good low block to spring Cunningham for an additional 7 yards.

3rd & 8:

Colts line up in 4-3 D.

GRob has the DE (Freeman). Freeman delivers a big right hand and is halfway past outside. Freeman has his hands out diving looking for the strip sack when GRob manages to slow Freeman slightly. That allowed Foles to get the pass away but Freeman does hit Foles and bring him to the ground.

Hav has the DE (No. not clear) and offers the outside. Hav keeps the DE outside and then forces him high behind Foles.

1st & 10:

GRob is out of his stance and waits for the LB (Cole). The LB looks for opportunity and tries to go along the line. GRob goes at him and slides left past Cole, again keeping hold of Cole’s numbers with his right hand swings Cole around. No penalty called again.

Hav chips the DE (Henry Anderson) and looks to get out to the 2nd level. Anderson comes inside and is the first to hit Pead in the backfield.

Of note: this was one of the few times that the interior was totally dominated. 4 Colts hit Pead in the backfield with 2 more closing in fast. This was probably one of only two protection call that Jones messed up.

2nd & 11:

GRob has the DE (Langford). Langford gets a high left hand in and GRob concedes a few yards but the pass is out before before Langford is within 3 yards of Foles.

Hav and Rhaney double the DE. The DE makes little effort and the pass is out.

3rd & 8:

Colts show blitz with 7 in to the line and send 5.

GRob steps with the LB (Freeman) and Freeman tries to swipe GRob’s hands away but GRob is strong and keeps position. Freeman tries to go outside but finds Cunningham in his path. Looks like GRob had it covered anyway.

Hav has the LB (No. not clear). The LB intimates to go outside. Hav mirrors with good footwork and the LB gives up on the play.

4th & inches.

Rams intend to run the 4 gap inside Hav.

GRob has the S (Adams) lined up in front. GRob goes forward off the snap and the S wants none of it. GRob continues to rumble forward a step of two but does not contact a defender on the play.

Hav doubles the LB (Newsome) with Kendricks and then steps forward to seal off the CB (Vontae Davis) outside.

Of note: Cook makes no attempt to block the LB (Walden) outside GRob and allows Walden to run all the way down behind the Rams line. Walden does not get near to the tackle, but Cook’s lack of attempt was disappointing.

Of note (2): The entire Rams interior lose a yard off the snap. It was lucky Cunningham was able to find the crease left by Hav and dive for the first. Not impressive stuff here.

1st & 10:

GRob has the DE (Langford). GRob leverages Langford outside & pushes on Langford’s left shoulder which sends Langford flat on to his back.

Hav drives left off the snap and then slides out between the D line in to the 2nd level. He never really hits anyone and only ends up grabbing the ILBs left shoulder and swinging him around. Should have been called but was difficult to see at full speed.

2nd & 8:

Grob is back in to his stance quickly. The LB (Newsome) feints inside and GRob steps with him perfectly. Newsome feints outside and GRob again steps with him. Newsome then goes inside and GRob is on to him. GRob forces Newsome off balance and then introduces him to the ground. GRobs best play of the night.

Hav has the DE (Langford). Hav is straight in to him and pushes Langford left. Langford slips and Hav drives Langford to the floor. Hav is then back up and flattens Walden on top of the pile.

3rd & 7:

GRob has the LB (Newsome). Newsome tries a spin move but has fooled no-one. GRob has him covered and Brown comes in an gives Newsome a shove left for good measure. Unfortunately, because of pressure from the right Foles has been forced left out of the pocket and Brown’s shove allowed Newsome to pressure Foles as he threw it away.

Hav is lined up with the LB (Walden). Hav is back in his stance waiting for Walden when Cunningham comes around outside Hav and delivers a big (BIG!) chip block. Cunningham’s block sends Walden more than a yard left and leaves Hav in a bad position. Walden has a free path inside to chase Foles.

Of note: This was one of the rare occasions where the Rams allow Langford to go one-on-one with the interior. Langford absolutely abuses Rhaney. To stop Langford has to dive and grab the face mask as Langford went past. The penalty puts the Rams back out of FG range.

Of note (2): It was the NT (Anderson) that got nearest to Foles on the play. Jones did a good job one-on-one with the NT and it was only when Foles was forced left (due to Rhaney being beaten) that the NT had a path to Foles.

3rd & 22:

Colts switch to 4-3 D.

GRob has the DE (Newsome). Newsome is quick off the snap but so is GRob. GRob retreats 4 yards towards Foles before he touches Newsome. Newsome tries to bull rush & GRob gives another yard. GRob then anchors and stops Newsome 2 yards from Foles and from that point appears to win the physical battle.

Hav has the DE (Walden). Walden guesses the snap count perfectly and is off the line like a rocket (Walden is 3 yards across the LOS before Foles even catches the snap in the shotgun!) & gets outside Hav and clear. Hav turns around to chase but is only able to grab the back of Walden’s jersey as he sacks Foles.

4th & 29: Punt.

3rd possession.

1st & 10:

Play action and fake end around stands the D up.

GRob has the DE (No. not clear but he looks like a dump truck). GRob is out into the DE and shoves him 4 yards across the LOS but then stops. The DE then looks to get at Foles but the long bomb is out for the TD.

Hav has the DE (Langford). Hav comfortably holds the edge. Rhaney is lurking in support too but turns inside when he sees he is not needed.

4th possession.

1st & 10:

I did not have a great view of this play on the replay but it is clearly a run off of LT.

GRob is one-on-one with the DE (Langford). GRob loses the initial battle and Langford pushes GRob upright and back a yard. GRob ends up 3 yards behind the LOS as Langford falls over, but Langford’s job was done by that time.

Hav comes left across the line and delivers a low block on the DE (Hughes) which floors Hughes for a moment. Hughes is back up in a flash but the play has gone away from him.

2nd & 10:

GRob is straight out to the 2nd level and goes toward Freeman. GRob does not do enough and Freeman comes across to make the tackle on Cunningham.

Hav has the LB (Walden). He wants Walden to go outside but Walden tries to come underneath. Hav is still in good position and as Walden comes across Hav forces Walden harmlessly in to the pile.

Of note: When GRob is out to the 2nd level that left Cook to block the DE (Hughes). Hughes comes inside and Cook helps him on his way using Hughes’ momentum to leave him 5 yards along the LOS and stifled by the pile. Not a bad job.

Of note (2): Rams get called for an illegal formation. Sigh.

2nd & 15:

GRob has no rusher and holds his gap. He then picks up DE off of the TE as the pass is away.

Hav sells the screen and lures the LB (Freeman) inside and seals him as the pass goes outside to Cunningham.

Of note: Nice (and nasty!) low block by Rhaney downfield springs Cunningham for the 1st (after a very generous spot).

1st & 10:

GRob has the DE (Hughes). Gets some help from the TE and Hughes is a bystander for this play.

The OLB (Walden) comes late to the line and the ILB (D’Qwell Jackson) comes on a delayed blitz. Rhaney has turned inside to help Jones too soon and Hav has 2 men. Hav tries to take Walden but Hav appears to have his eye taken by the ILB and Walden blasts away around the outside. Both LBs arrive at Foles for the sack. Not a great protection called by Jones here and Rhaney needs to show more awareness.

2nd & 19:

GRob has the DE (Langford). Langford goes outside and GRob steps with him nicely. Langford gives up on the play.

Hav kicks out right (a huge step) and blocks the LB (Newsome). Hav gives a little ground but not enough that would have bothered Foles.

Of note: Rhaney was beaten all ends up by a swim move from the DE (Zack Kerr) who went past on the Rhaney’s right side and forced Foles to get the pass out quickly (it was still a catchable ball to Britt who dropped it).

3rd & 19:

Colts switch to a 4-3.

GRob has the DE (cannot tell who). GRob waits for the DE who makes a move outside. GRob is in great position and the DE gives up on the play.

Kendricks gets out and chips the DE (Newsome). Hav picks up Newsome as Kendricks moves out. The pass is out quick over Newsome’s head to Kendricks (but with no blocker Kendricks is dropped for a small gain).

4th & 16: Punt

And that was a wrap for the first string.

After a rough start I thought GRob got better and better, but man was that a rough start. Against Langford he did not have it all his own way but then Langford is a good lineman and will have his moments against anyone. He mirrors speed rushers nice but needs to show a little more patience while waiting for them and not over-committing and making their work easy. Still, he did not give up a sack.

Watching live I thought Hav was beaten a number of times, and he was, but there are a number of factors that made it look worse for him. Cunningham blocking his man so far to open a different path wont happen again and Kendricks getting in his way is on Kendricks. That said, he needs to find a way to deal with speed rushers or it is going to be a very long season for him.

I thought Barrett Jones was night and day from how he looked against the Raiders. Perhaps it was just rust he was knocking off as he has improved each game since. He did a nice job of protections and as he learns more about his opponents he will only get better. He also did not get notably abused. Jones is definitely trending upwards right now.

It was also notable that the Colts moved personnel all over which probably made the calls even harder. That said, it was clearly the simple game plan that whichever side Langford went then the OT took him and the the other DT took the OLB which allowed the interior to not become overwhelmed. When they deviated from this is when Rhaney was getting beat.

A final general observation is that when the Rams went PA it worked. Well. Hopefully that is a sign of things to come.

Congratulations to anyone who made it to then end of this again this week.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Thanks for all the work you put into this post, Mr. Brown! I have neither the patience nor desire to get into watching film like you did! :D

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
This collection of young OL are going to be very good, there is no doubt in my mind with that. Where I'm unsure is "when" they'll be good. The Rams overall as an org did a very good job in this past draft overhauling the unit and clearly as noted above they saw what the original article points out and drafted accordingly. It's gonna pay off.

When I look at the line right now my biggest concern is not HStein or Brown. Brown is just downright bad@$$, the dude might be the best player we have up front tbh time will tell but I think the Rams hit pay dirt with him. HStein has a tougher assignment on that edge but RTs with non-optimal feet have done well for a long time at the NFL level and the dude is massive and dedicated to his craft.

Ironically it's GRob I worry about most right now. Saffold of course goes without saying and honestly I wonder if he's gonna be able to live up to that contract. But IMO the blindside is the biggest potential issue with this line and the Rams have no choice but to hope their highly touted LT gets it soon.

Lastly, they might have lucked out on Battle too. I'm not gonna be naïve and think they will hit on every guy they drafted or anything, but from where I'm sitting they really did a great job selecting these guys and better days are ahead for this line and thus for the offense as a whole. IMO that and the WRs are why Foles immediately rogered up for a contract extension; no way that would have happened unless he sees talent and is happy with it.