Why the Kansas City Chiefs won't repeat as Super Bowl champs

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder
Why the Kansas City Chiefs won't repeat as Super Bowl champs

Following February’s thrilling Super Bowl win over the San Francisco 49ers, it seems as if the Kansas City Chiefs are ripe for a repeat. They are seen as the Vegas favorites to come away with the hardware once again next season.

However, there’s a lot that goes into repeating. There’s a reason it’s not done too often. For the Chiefs, there’s also a few big-time hurdles to overcome. Here’s why the Chiefs won’t repeat as champs.

The AFC West: This division has improved leaps and bounds from a season ago. It’s going to be tough sledding, potentially leading to worst record than 2019.
  • Despite moving on from future Hall of Fame quarterback Philip Rivers, the Chargers have gotten a whole lot better this offseason. They will likely rely on former Pro Bowl quarterback Tyrod Taylor to be the stopgap starter next season. Although, rookie No. 6 pick Justin Herbert could challenge for the starting job.
  • John Elway has had himself a tremendous offseason. The embattled Broncos general manager capped that off by acquiring the steal of the 2020 NFL Draft in that of wide receiver Jerry Jeudy. The addition of star running back Melvin Gordon to go with fellow Pro Bowler Courtland Sutton and a high-upside young quarterback in that of Drew Lock makes Denver dangerous.
  • Outside of getting competition for Derek Carr under center, Jon Gruden and the Raiders have also improved leaps and bounds from a season ago. Las Vegas aced the 2020 NFL Draft by going after multiple skill-position players. It added depth and talent on defense via free agency. The Raiders’ first season in the Nevada desert will be much better than their final season in Northern California.
Some shortcomings: Despite boasting one of most talented and deepest rosters in the NFL, there are certainly some issues the Chiefs must resolve to repeat.
  • The recent arrest of top cornerback Bashaud Breeland underscores depth concerns at that position. His arrest, coupled with the departure of Kendall Fuller in free agency, could loom large moving forward.
  • We have absolutely no idea if Pro Bowl defensive lineman Chris Jones is going to report to training camp after the Chiefs placed the franchise tag on their top defender. Heck, there’s a chance he might be traded. That would create a major hole in the defensive front seven.
  • On offense, the Chiefs were able to get Sammy Watkins to take a pay cut in order to return for another season. However, the former Buffalo Bills top-five pick has not lived up to expectations in Kansas City. He’s averaging fewer than 600 receiving yards in two seasons with the team.
  • The offensive line could also be a concern with unproven interior linemen Nick Allegretti and Austin Reiter slated to start next season. Reiter has been a full-time starter for just one season, while Allegretti was a backup as a rookie last season.
The AFC is tough: Top-end teams in this conference have improved a great deal over the past couple months.
  • Fresh off boasting the best record in the NFL last season, the Baltimore Ravens have added to their talent stockpile in a big way. We’re talking about a team that added star veteran defensive linemen Derek Wolfe and Calais Campbell to the mix. Let’s not even focus on stud rookie running back J.K. Dobbins, who will team up with reigning NFL MVP Lamar Jackson in a potent backfield.
  • The Rivers signing changes the dynamic big-time in Indianapolis. Rivers gives the Colts a legit quarterback after seeing Jacoby Brissett struggle under center last season. Picking up stud rookies, running back Jonathan Taylor and wide receiver Michael Pittman Jr., helps here, too. As does the trade for All-Pro defensive tackle DeForest Buckner. General manager Chris Ballard and Co. are going all-in for 2020.
  • Fresh off a surprise trip to the AFC Championship Game, the Tennessee Titans return star quarterback Ryan Tannehill and reigning NFL rushing champion Derrick Henry. Tennessee also has a stud young receiver in that of A.J. Brown who is ready to take his game to the next level. Boasting one of the most talented defenses in the NFL, expect these Titans to be a problem for Kansas City in 2020.
  • Are we ready to proclaim the Pittsburgh Steelers conference championship contenders simply because Ben Roethlisberger is back from injury? I wouldn’t go that far. However, any team coached by Mike Tomlin has to be seen as dangerous. Getting Big Ben back is going to help Pittsburgh become relevant once again this coming season.
  • What’s not to like about the Buffalo Bills? They are coming off a surprising trip to the playoffs. They added star receiver Stefon Diggs to be the No. 1 target for young quarterback Josh Allen. Defensively, Buffalo might have the most talented defense in the NFL outside of San Francisco. As the division favorites in the AFC East, these Bills will be heard from when all is said and done.
San Francisco 49ers: Remember, Kyle Shanahan and Co. held a double-digit lead against the Chiefs in the fourth quarter of the Super Bowl.
  • San Francisco has improved a lot this offseason, too. Even after trading DeForest Buckner, the team’s defense is among the best in the game. Rookie first-round pick Javon Kinlaw should be a seamless replacement for Buckner.
  • The 49ers also upgraded their offensive line by trading for future Hall of Fame left tackle Trent Williams during the 2020 NFL Draft. He’s an upgrade over the recently retired Joe Staley.
  • The expectation here is that youngsters will also take their games to the next level. Wide receiver Deebo Samuel is coming off a brilliant rookie season. He’s joined by rookie first-round pick Brandon Aiyuk and record-breaking tight end George Kittle at the skill positions. There’s a reason San Francisco is right up there with Kansas City as the favorite to hoist the Lombardi next February. This team is absolutely loaded.
Bottom line

Kansas City boasts the best quarterback in the NFL in that of Patrick Mahomes. It has a plethora of talent at the skill positions and is well coached.

However, there’s a reason very few end up repeating as champions. That’s no truer than in the current NFL with multiple teams eyeing Kansas City.

It’s going to be tough sledding for head coach Andy Reid and Co. When all is said and done, don’t expect these Chiefs to be hoisting that trophy for a second consecutive year come February.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
I dunno. For the first time in a long time I really like the current champions' ability to repeat. They're returning almost all their starters. They have an all-world QB and the coaching staff is surprisingly intact.

I also think the truncated offseason and training camp program is going to disproportionately affect teams who have had a lot of turnover/new coaches etc etc, neither of which apply to the chiefs.

I would have the chiefs as hot favourites to win the SB again.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I can write this article in 1 sentence.

Why the Kansas City chiefs wont repeat as super bowl champions by nj rams fan: The NFL has been around for 100 years and only 7 teams have repeated as super bowl champs, most being over 50 years ago.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
IDK....They have the best Quarterback in the NFL and as long as he Patty Mahomes is healthy, they have a great chance to win the Super Bowl every year moving forward IMHO.

Flint

Pro Bowler
It is hard to get back but the first step is your division, and you can talk about how much better the West is but I’m not betting on Tyrod Taylor, Drew Lock or Derek Carr over Mahomes. The Ravens are the main threat in the afc, the rest of those teams have question marks of one kind or another. Big Ben had a major injury, what’s he going to look like, Tannehill was still Tannehill when it mattered most and can the bills finally get past the pats? The niners look formidable but the Chiefs don’t really have to worry about them unless they get to the SB. The niners have a tough task ahead, first they need to win a very tough division, then win what’s looking like a tough nfc with teams like Dallas, Philly, NO and now Tampa.
I think NE has warped our perceptions, people love to throw around phrases like, “he’s gonna win multiple Super Bowls”, but I don't think we’ll see anything like the Pats getting there year after year again. I think the Chiefs should at least get to the afc title game for a while and maybe win another chip before someone else comes up.

Reddog99

Pro Bowler
Chiefs are winning the AFC west no doubt about it so they will definitely be in the mix. Colts, Ravens and Bills will be right there with them. Steelers and Titans could be good too and im not ready to write off New England just yet. Most of those teams almost always play the Chiefs tough so none are gimmies. Imo KC has a very good chance to repeat but the Ravens could make it tough to accomplish.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I can write this article in 1 sentence.

Why the Kansas City chiefs wont repeat as super bowl champions by nj rams fan: The NFL has been around for 100 years and only 7 teams have repeated as super bowl champs, most being over 50 years ago.
My thought is along the same theme. I can do it even shorter than you. The Kansas City Chiefs won't repeat because it's hard to do.

oldnotdead

Legend
The Chargers forever underachieve. Under Anthony Lynn they continue that trend. They feast on a weak schedule due to their poor performance each year. But when they play quality teams they fold. Also, Lynn is a very poor game day coach who seems unable to make gameday adjustments. The Chargers hired him because as a first time HC he was the cheapest available. That is the truth. Just look at their search back then. They cancelled their interview with Arians to hire Lynn, that should say it all.

I don't see any team in the AFCW that can challenge KC. They are loaded with talent and have the best HC in the division. There isn't a defense in the AFCW that can challenge KC's offense. They take the division easily. Once in the playoffs, anything can happen. A Rams/Chief SuperBowl? It could happen and this year's Rams are better than the one that played them last time.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
IDK....They have the best Quarterback in the NFL and as long as he Patty Mahomes is healthy, they have a great chance to win the Super Bowl every year moving forward IMHO.
Sure they have a good chance but look at how A-aRON's career played out in GB.

London_Ram

Rookie
The best team for me is who does it consistently over the 16 game regular season. The most in-form team is who comes through the play-offs and SB.

Baltimore had the best record last year, Fluker for Yanda is a downgrade, but besides overall I think they're stronger with Calais added plus a strong draft.

It's not that KC are worse that they won't repeat. I just feel there's better teams out there overall - mainly Baltimore

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Sure they have a good chance but look at how A-aRON's career played out in GB.

True, but the Chiefs have a much better Head Coach that now finally won his first Super Bowl and IMO a better organization. Plus IMO, Mahomes will be better than Rodgers.

Cjcinec

Rookie
Name
Chris C.
I don’t think the Niners improved actually I think it’s very possible they regressed. Kinlaw was a highly touted college player but does he fully replace a proven NFL talent like Buckner in year 1. Same could be said about the talented rookie WR who will fill the void left by Emmanuel Sanders who left in free agency. College receivers have a learning curve that sometimes will take as much as a year to adjust to the pro game. At Left Tackle they replace the retired Staley with an all pro that hasn’t played a down since 2018. The biggest question mark I thought the Niners had going into the draft was the back end of their defense yet they didn’t address it in free agency or with any premium draft capital. Niners secondary was as protected by the strength of their pass rush but we saw later in the season and especially in the super bowl that if their pass rush can’t get home they struggled in coverage.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Idk. Wilson is every bit as good as Mahomes and while he's keeping that team relevant, they aren't sniffing any Super bowls anymore. When the talent erodes in KC i'd expect the same results there. Relevant but not a legit contender.