Why the Browns signed RG3, IMO

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The Browns have a QB targeted for #2.

By signing RG3, they are not trading up. This is their misdirection.

They are NOT trading down either.

They have a guy they like... but they want everyone to think they are okay with RG3.

I could be wrong. Often I am. (y)

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
The Browns have a QB targeted for #2.

By signing RG3, they are not trading up. This is their misdirection.

They are NOT trading down either.

They have a guy they like... but they want everyone to think they are okay with RG3.

I could be wrong. Often I am. (y)

I think I would have to disagree with that logic. Roster spots especially QB ones are to valuable for any kind of misdirection signing. Besides Cle is picking 2nd there's no need for anything like that.They will get either Wentz or Goff if they plan on drafting a QB still which imo I don't think they are now.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
I think they're giving him a shot, Hue might not like the QBs in this draft after all which is great for us. If the Cowboys could just sign Manziel now that'd be great.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Yeah, I suspect they think someone is going to move up to 1 and take their boy Wentz...

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think it's that grand of a plan. IMO, Hue Jackson prefers not to start rookie QBs. Griffin is a high upside player that fits perfectly in his system and Jackson has done well with reclamation projects in the past. It's a worthwhile risk. But they'll still draft a QB to develop behind RGIII.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think they signed him to play football. :sneaky:

They don't have any QB on their roster with upside. I don't necessarily think that RG3 will play well - but there is a non-zero chance of it happening at least.

I expect them to take a QB at #2 - that way either the pick ends up being their future, or maybe RG3 ends up being their future. But I expect them to keep McCown. That way if RG3 gets hurt, or just doesn't play well, they can save a ton in his incentives. And if things are going well, don't be shocked if Griffin ends up traded next year either.

The only unpredictable thing is Depodesta in the Browns' front office. I don't think he'll try to override drafting a QB, but it wouldn't shock me either.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
I'd be surprised if the Browns take a QB , I don't think their going to want to invest that kind of money in any one of the top three QB's in this draft , once bitten , twice shy

At least according to my magic 8 ball

n29Pqd.gif

Last edited:

WestCoastRam

Legend
I could easily see them taking a QB at 2 or passing. I'm really curious if we see QBs fall this year and if the prognosticators are all inflating the QBs in the public's eyes. I think it would be pretty crazy if no QB was taken in the top 10 but maybe we'll see QBs fall out of the top 5, maybe all the way to 7 with the 9ers. Maybe this is the first year that the black swan comes to the NFL.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I have no idea what they'll do. But, I think banking on RGIII is very risky despite his upside and Jackson's success with reclamation project. RGIII could have been signed because he can start right away. I bet they don't think Wentz or Lynch can, and some say Goff can't.

Or, they might just figure RGIII is a better backup option than McCown.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
I'd be surprised if the Browns take a QB , I don't think their going to want to invest that kind of money in any one of the top three QB's in this draft , once bitten , twice shy

n29Pqd.gif

That kind of money? Rookies make jack shit now adays

WvuIN02

Starter
Browns are years away from contending with this roster. I think they understand this will take awhile and would happily trade out of the 2nd spot. This team needs as many picks as possible...especially after what they lost in FA.

I think they know that the 2nd overall could turn into a haul of picks and the reality is they will be drafting at the top for years to come so there will be time to get a QB.

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
Browns are years away from contending with this roster. I think they understand this will take awhile and would happily trade out of the 2nd spot. This team needs as many picks as possible...especially after what they lost in FA.

I think they know that the 2nd overall could turn into a haul of picks and the reality is they will be drafting at the top for years to come so there will be time to get a QB.
^^ THIS ^^

Ramfansince79

Rookie
Name
Ramsfan79
Hue Jackson is smart. Although his team needed a QB, he knew that none of this years playes were worth a high first round pick. Hopefully our brass feels the same way. Don't make your overall situation worse by making a bad decision.
Although we all want a first round "franchise QB" it doesn't mean there is one available.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I don't think it's that grand of a plan. IMO, Hue Jackson prefers not to start rookie QBs. Griffin is a high upside player that fits perfectly in his system and Jackson has done well with reclamation projects in the past. It's a worthwhile risk. But they'll still draft a QB to develop behind RGIII.

I agree, but they will draft the best player at two and then take a QB in the 2nd round.,..They will do that so the Rams can trade up to six and draft Carson Wentz because he's our density.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler

n29Pqd.gif

Maybe not the money as much as the value of that 2nd pick but yes. They can't afford to risk the pick on a QB due to the short life cycles of coaches/ GMs in Cleveland.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Somehow, I'm skeptical that even the Browns would confuse signing a failed starter who has trouble staying healthy in addition, with having finally filled the QB position. RG3 is not being paid at current starter salary. He's getting the sort of contract that a bridge QB would get - and Griffin has the opportunity to redeem himself. But they have told him they are bringing somebody else in. It's just that for once Cleveland is not pussyfooting around. They will get a top QB prospect, AND have the free agent with the most upside too.