Why the Browns Should Start Johnny Manziel

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Didn't we all say this about Fisher a month ago? Mike Pettine has a team with half of our talent in the mix for a playoff spot in a tough division. Maybe Manziel stinks in practice, or has a bad grasp of the playbook. Tre Mason couldn't pass block and didn't play until he could.
Yes but Brian Hoyer has been awful in every phase of his game. We knew Tre could run. At this point you have to ask, can Manziel do any worse? Hoyer has never been a good QB. If they thought Manziel wasnt ready they should have brought another QB in to compete.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Yes but Brian Hoyer has been awful in every phase of his game. We knew Tre could run. At this point you have to ask, can Manziel do any worse? Hoyer has never been a good QB. If they thought Manziel wasnt ready they should have brought another QB in to compete.

They had a QB to compete. He won the job in TC. Who else was available after the draft? An UDFA would have been about it.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Didn't we all say this about Fisher a month ago? Mike Pettine has a team with half of our talent in the mix for a playoff spot in a tough division. Maybe Manziel stinks in practice, or has a bad grasp of the playbook. Tre Mason couldn't pass block and didn't play until he could.

Actually the Browns are stacked. I've watched a few of their games, their OL is downright legit. Big push on running plays, solid pass pro and I think a lot of their issues are related to QB play. Strong defense too. They're similar to us just with a better line IMO.

It's why I'm bummed to see Manziel start. Hopefully he'll struggle and they'll put him back on the bench. I prefer his value is low going into the offseason, but I fear he's gonna improve quickly with the talent around him.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Actually the Browns are stacked. I've watched a few of their games, their OL is downright legit. Big push on running plays, solid pass pro and I think a lot of their issues are related to QB play. Strong defense too. They're similar to us just with a better line IMO.

It's why I'm bummed to see Manziel start. Hopefully he'll struggle and they'll put him back on the bench. I prefer his value is low going into the offseason, but I fear he's gonna improve quickly with the talent around him.

I've seen a few games too. While I agree the OL is really good, I wouldn't trade any of their starters for ours. Except that reinstated WR.

But the quality of Hoyer's 2014 isn't really what I was talking about. I was simply saying that there could be a reason aside from Hoyer why he's not playing. Talent and playmaking ability is not enough sometimes. Simply assuming the coach is blind and stubborn a lot of times is just wrong. Why would a coach who is doing so well in every other facet of the game be so unaware of his own QB situation? Maybe Manziel isn't up to par on anything besides scrambling. Maybe they're not impressed with his film study, who knows. After all, Manziel has one good drive against a team that didn't prepare for him. Not quite a sure thing, and not an easy call for a coach in a playoff race.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Browns should start Manziel because Hoyer sucks. Will be interesting to see what they have in him. That is, unless Manziel isn't ready, in that case they should leave him on the bench.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I've seen a few games too. While I agree the OL is really good, I wouldn't trade any of their starters for ours. Except that reinstated WR.

But the quality of Hoyer's 2014 isn't really what I was talking about. I was simply saying that there could be a reason aside from Hoyer why he's not playing. Talent and playmaking ability is not enough sometimes. Simply assuming the coach is blind and stubborn a lot of times is just wrong. Why would a coach who is doing so well in every other facet of the game be so unaware of his own QB situation? Maybe Manziel isn't up to par on anything besides scrambling. Maybe they're not impressed with his film study, who knows. After all, Manziel has one good drive against a team that didn't prepare for him. Not quite a sure thing, and not an easy call for a coach in a playoff race.

I honestly think the Browns are worried about Manziel imploding. Some of the things that have been mentioned in the media are things Fish, for example, would laugh at. Like him having an effin drink with his dinner, or who he associates with. But in those cases the Browns are very touchy about it instead of defending him or shrugging it off like I am certain Fisher and Snead would.

Also he does certain things that I am positive pi$$ off the Cleveland brass, like showing up to a game right before the deadline. So I do think you're right that they have some sort of reasoning, at least concerns, that affect that decision on who's playing. But personally I would be surprised if it has to do with him not working hard enough, or not studying enough, etc.

Anyway here's hoping he doesn't play well so I can continue to harbor hopes that the Rams will shake him loose from the Browns this offseason.