Why Spend Draft Picks Or Fa $ On D?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RFIP

I heard this topic just now on Sirius radio and honeslty, the guy made a lot of sence. He went on about how there is no great defenses like the old days because of the rules in the NFL.

He summized that "all you need now a day is someone who can consistantly rush the passer and some big cb"s who can stay tight @ the LOS to prevent all the smoke screens to these big wr's..."

He continued saying that the rules now are condusive to the running college QB too which is why, he said, more of those type guys can come in and play right away.

He admitted they'd have a short shelf life but said "you just replace one with the next athletic guy coming out (of college)."

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
The problem with the replaceable QB is that most of the running QB's can't play well in the NFL. That means that you are going to have lousy QB play way more often than good to great QB play and that means no winning seasons/playoffs/SB's.

Time and again we've heard (since Cunningham in the mid-late 80's) that running QB's are the future of the NFL. Here we are about 25 years later and we still hear it, yet it has never happened. The future is the opposite in fact.

Why?

Well that talking head is missing two VERY important points. Currently in the NFL you can hit a QB operating outside of the pocket as a decoy whether they have the ball or not. And the NFL has changed rules to almost absurdly favor the passing game which means pocket passers will be what you need to win most of the time.

It's as plain as the nose on your face yet some people simply cannot grasp it because of the one year wonders that we see two or three times a decade. It's never worked and as long as the NFL tweaks rules to favor the passing game a running QB is the worst strategy to employ. It's like signing only slow, short WR's with bad hands and sloppy route running abilities.

Alan

Legend
RFIP summarizing:
He summized that "all you need now a day is someone who can consistantly rush the passer and some big cb"s who can stay tight @ the LOS to prevent all the smoke screens to these big wr's..."

He continued saying that the rules now are condusive to the running college QB too which is why, he said, more of those type guys can come in and play right away.

He admitted they'd have a short shelf life but said "you just replace one with the next athletic guy coming out (of college)."

First sentence: Haven't we been saying that and complaining that we haven't been doing that for the last two years?
Second sentence: Maybe, but you have to design your offense from the ground up to play that type of game. Thus when this guy suffers his season ending injury, and we all know he will, you need a second "athletic guy" that you can just plug in.
Third sentence: What wasn't mentioned is that a QB still needs to be able to throw accurately and make good decisions as a passer or the opponent will just load up to stop the run. Both his running and the run game in general. What's worse in my mind is that this guy thinks you can just pluck these guys off the Johnny Football tree. LOL

I do so agree with the first sentence though. Who here thinks that we'll actually start playing that kind of D? All I've heard is lame (in my mind) excuses for why we aren't doing that.

Alan

Legend
It's probably just due to my vision problems but do you remember that on the old site when you were about to post a reply when you've quoted someone that it would show you what other people have posted while you were writing yours? Does this new site iteration still do that and I'm just missing it?

For example, I didn't see Les's post until after I posted my reply.

PhxRam

It's probably just due to my vision problems but do you remember that on the old site when you were about to post a reply when you've quoted someone that it would show you what other people have posted while you were writing yours? Does this new site iteration still do that and I'm just missing it?

For example, I didn't see Les's post until after I posted my reply.

I think I know what you are talking about.. let me look into it

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Wow! He makes a lot of sense. However you still have to stop the run. If you just have stud CB's and and a great pass rusher then your DT's and LB's are gonna get their teeth kicked in when you play any of the NFCW teams who are all run first teams. That's why guys like Brockers are drafted so high. You have to stop the run first or it makes it easy for the offense.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I heard this topic just now on Sirius radio and honeslty, the guy made a lot of sence. He went on about how there is no great defenses like the old days because of the rules in the NFL.

Which is why there's a ton of read option QBs in the NFL.

And why the best team in the Broncos has one of them.

And why Robert Griffin III was the most successful quart--....oh wait.