Why so few reps for Goff

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
3rd preseason game and he goes 5-8 what the hell is the plan?

I don't want them stinking up the first half of the season figuring out the offense. Why wasn't this a full game for the 1's? At this point Mannion has gotten the majority of the preseason and is more game ready than Goff.

I don't like it.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
100s of reps in training camp and practice > 3 drives in preseason game.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
100s of reps in training camp and practice > 3 drives in preseason game.
I'm willing to bet all of my ROD dollars the defense is not allowed to hit Goff in practice. You don't get ready for live action in practice, it take live fire to get ready and right now, he's not ready.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Just the way it works out sometimes man. Things might have not gone as planned and they pulled the plug on him. There's still one more pre season game left.

Since when does pre season matter anyway? Keenum and the offense looked pretty good against the #1 defense in Denver last year week 3. Then they got shut out by the fucking Whiners. Goff will be fine. Just chill.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Dude....he didn't wanna let him lose his confidence gained last week...He looked awful after that fumble. I woulda played him more...but McVay thought it best to rest him....I'd agree since Whitworth was coming out.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Just the way it works out sometimes man. Things might have not gone as planned and they pulled the plug on him. There's still one more pre season game left.

Since when does pre season matter anyway? Keenum and the offense looked pretty good against the #1 defense in Denver last year week 3. Then they got shut out by the freaking Whiners. Goff will be fine. Just chill.
I'll believe it when I see it.

NFL standard for 1s n the preseason, 1st game 1 quarter, 2nd game 1st half, 3rd game most or full game, 4th game play the guys trying to make the roster. Its a proven formula.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I'm willing to bet all of my ROD dollars the defense is not allowed to hit Goff in practice. You don't get ready for live action in practice, it take live fire to get ready and right now, he's not ready.

Wait your issue is getting hit? He got hit plenty of times last year and so far this year. I think your overreacting over a little here. Khalil Mack's shot was worse and he came out just fine out of it.

NFL standard for 1s n the preseason, 1st game 1 quarter, 2nd game 1st half, 3rd game most or full game, 4th game play the guys trying to make the roster. Its a proven formula.

That is changing. Many teams are pulling their guys out earlier.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Dude....he didn't wanna let him lose his confidence gained last week...He looked awful after that fumble. I woulda played him more...but McVay thought it best to rest him....I'd agree since Whitworth was coming out.
I think Goff was rattled, and McVay saw his whole season sprinting after Ingram on the fumble for 50+ yards...We can't afford losing Whitworth to a pulled hamstring or something stupid like that, which I was glad I couldn't see the whole sprint by him (only the end of it)...It was almost heroic watching Whit do that at his age, but no...Without Whitworth, Saffold, and Sullivan it makes no sense having our #1 out there...

Ram65

Legend
3rd preseason game and he goes 5-8 what the hell is the plan?

I don't want them stinking up the first half of the season figuring out the offense. Why wasn't this a full game for the 1's? At this point Mannion has gotten the majority of the preseason and is more game ready than Goff.

I don't like it.

McVay took out starters on the offensive line. Goff still got to call plays and hand off but, not throw.

Goff's preseason stats show 24 of 32 in the passing game. That seems to on par with the amount of throws starters are getting in preseason. The risk of injury is to high when you factor in the 2's on the offensive line have to play. Protecting the vet 1s is smart too. I thought the starters need more work but, I guess being healthy is the #1 priority.

RedRam

Pro Bowler
I think Goff was rattled, and McVay saw his whole season sprinting after Ingram on the fumble for 50+ yards...We can't afford losing Whitworth to a pulled hamstring or something stupid like that, which I was glad I couldn't see the whole sprint by him (only the end of it)...It was almost heroic watching Whit do that at his age, but no...Without Whitworth, Saffold, and Sullivan it makes no sense having our #1 out there...
I think the Rams should put the clip of Whitworth's run on a continuous loop on all screens at the Rams facilities. The old guy, leading by example...they need to pound that work ethic into every employee of the team, especially the players and coaching staff.

bluecoconuts

Legend
We were already running with a lot of 2's, so I'm pretty sure McVay didn't give a shit about being a 'tune up' game. Especially if the right side is being abused still. Get Goff warmed up, and let him sit and watch. With Goff at this point the most important thing for him to do is recognise defenses and protections, and you can do that from the sideline. He can also practice when he'd throw the ball on a play without being out there. I don't see him fucking around on the sideline, I see him working with the coaches and McVay.

Goff may have taken 8 throws, but he worked the entire game.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Don't be surprised if the 1s don't see a series against the Packers. McVay is going to do it his way. I'm pretty sure he has 95% of his roster written in stone at this point. He's making sure his vets and starters are fresh and locking down that last 5% of the roster. This last game will mostly be for guys not making the roster to try to showcase for another team and installing another play or two.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Did you happen to see the list of inactives for the Rams last night? Or that they pulled the #1 oline after the 1st Q?
If its a "proven formula" than McVay sure didnt get the memo

Considering Bosa grabbed Goff's throwing forearm and yanked it to free the ball, I'm guessing he's got a pretty sore bicep that would explain the duck and lack of passes after that point.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Wait your issue is getting hit? He got hit plenty of times last year and so far this year. I think your overreacting over a little here. Khalil Mack's shot was worse and he came out just fine out of it.
No my issue is being game ready when the season starts. Its not about getting hit as much as what happens after that and so far he hasn't shown resiliency in the NFL. Staying the game is one thing, leading the team is something altogether beyond that.

He and all of the 1s need reps in live fire to be ready when the games count.

FRO

Legend
McVay doesn't put much stock into preseason football. We'll see week one if he's right or not. I feel that a young team with a new system should be getting in one half of football on the third preseason game.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Did you happen to see the list of inactives for the Rams last night? Or that they pulled the #1 oline after the 1st Q?
If its a "proven formula" than McVay sure didnt get the memo
You're right he didn't follow it, first year head coach so we'll see if they are ready to play or not when the lights come on.

PA Ram

Pro Bowler
I think the Rams should put the clip of Whitworth's run on a continuous loop on all screens at the Rams facilities. The old guy, leading by example...they need to pound that work ethic into every employee of the team, especially the players and coaching staff.

I was so impressed by Whitworth giving his all to make a tackle even if he had little chance of doing it. He just didn't quit. I'm glad he's on the team. He's a true leader and sets a great example.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave

You may want to share that with the rest of the NFL, cause that formula hasnt been followed in a while. How many teams have the Rams played this preseason that followed that formula? Week 4 most if not all teams will sit starters so week 4 they follow the formula.