Why not Torry?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Zombie Slayer

You are entitled to nothing.
Name
Dave
Talk of the hall of fame on here always has me wondering if Torry Holt will ever make it in. I believe he should be inducted someday and here is my case for him:

*Super Bowl champion
*7 time pro bowl selection
*2000s NFL all decade team
*Fifth most receiving yards per game average in NFL history. The people in front of him currently are all active players: Julio Jones, Calvin Johnson, A.J. Green, Andre Johnson, Josh Gordan.
*Fastest player to 10,000 yards in NFL history
*Fastest player to 11,000 yards in NFL history
*Top 10 all time in career receiving yards in NFL history
*11th all time in career receptions *Most consecutive seasons with at least 1,300 yards receiving (6)
*Most consecutive seasons with 90+ receptions (6)
*Seasons with 1,600 yards receiving (2). -tied with Marvin Harrison and Calvin Johnson
*Ranked first in the NFL from 2000-08 with 817 receptions for 11,872 yards and 562 first downs during that span
*Most receptions in a single decade (868, 2000–2009)
*Most receiving yards in a single decade (12,594, 2000–2009)

Whatever the requirements for the hall of fame there are it appears to me that he meets them all. He won a championship, has the stats worthy of the hall, and even though he never really got the recognition deserved, he was one of the best in the game for the time he played. I hope him and Bruce get in.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
If what's him name just got in, Bruce and Holt are definitely getting in. It's the weekend and I just started drinking so what's his name that played for the Bills is going to have to forgive me for not remembering and being too lazy to google it.

Moostache

Rookie
Bills WR was Andre Reed. Thought he went in last year? Not sure...

Holt and Bruce should both go in.
As should Pace and Warner.

They may be waiting a while though...

FRO

Legend
He should get in, but he won't because he wasn't a loud mouth like TO, or malcontent like Moss absorbing media attention. Should a guy who took plays off when his number got called really be in the Hall. Don't get me wrong Moss may have been the most talented WR ever, but shouldn't a players full game be judged? Holt did the little things plus was a great receiver. He helped his team win a title. He needs to be in.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Torry was considerably more productive than Tim Brown on a per game basis. Compare the stats yourself.

The only real advantage Tim Brown had was longevity (17 seasons). But; is that what makes one a HOF and the other not? Torry still played 12 seasons!

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
Torry was the best receiver for a whole decade... he deserves to be in.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Torry and Ike both deserve to be in before Brown and Reed. Right alongside Harrison and Irvin.

Zombie Slayer

Name
Dave
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
There really isn't any excuse for me to not let him in the hall someday. The stats speak for themselves. He has met pretty much everyone's usual qualifications when they're discussing whether or not a player should get in. I assume the people voting for whoever gets into the hall are so called "experts." If they are and he never gets in then I will seriously doubt whether or not the people on those panels know much about football. Just because he wasn't a loud mouth that doesn't mean that they shouldn't know what he's done when they discuss him and look over his career in depth.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Torry was considerably more productive than Tim Brown on a per game basis. Compare the stats yourself.

The only real advantage Tim Brown had was longevity (17 seasons). But; is that what makes one a HOF and the other not? Torry still played 12 seasons!
Not so sure about that. Tim Brown played in a different era where he saw significantly less targets, and the rules didnt exploit the passing game like they do now. If TB played with the hands off rules we have, who knows what numbers he'd have put up.
Not saying Torry doesnt deserve to get in, but I dont think its a fair comparison to compare different era players is all.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
If what's him name just got in, Bruce and Holt are definitely getting in. It's the weekend and I just started drinking so what's his name that played for the Bills is going to have to forgive me for not remembering and being too lazy to google it.
Andre Reed....K-Gun offense...4 SB's...no wins....decent player...check that, great player...

he won't because he wasn't a loud mouth like TO, or malcontent like Moss absorbing media attention.
And you're talking about 2 wr's that basically changed the game and the drafting of wrs? C'mon FRO, you're better than that....TO was a beast....Moss was a freak of nature AND a player many said was one of the smartest football players they've been around....don't make me go pro-football reference on you...LOL

FRO

Legend
Andre Reed....K-Gun offense...4 SB's...no wins....decent player...check that, great player...

And you're talking about 2 wr's that basically changed the game and the drafting of wrs? C'mon FRO, you're better than that....TO was a beast....Moss was a freak of nature AND a player many said was one of the smartest football players they've been around....don't make me go pro-football reference on you...LOL
Not saying they shouldn't get in. Just saying Holt's numbers are close to theirs and he was a great teammate and all around player. They will get in with ease. He won't. That's my beef.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
His first handful of seasons were played before the passing game was opened up like it is today. I've said many times if the GSOT was playing now they would have a shot at scoring 700 points and would score 70 once a year, maybe twice. So that needs to be mentioned to the committee if he is going to have a chance. His "era" overlapped what was and what is now the passing game, so when it was opened up he had a Bulger that was not that great and he was in the twilight of his career.

If things were different he'd be a lock, but with all the players putting up numbers and many still playing it casts a shadow over what he accomplished.

I like Holt, but I'm not sure he and Bruce get in........then again I was sure Warner was going in so I could be all wet on this.

Zombie Slayer

Name
Dave
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
His first handful of seasons were played before the passing game was opened up like it is today. I've said many times if the GSOT was playing now they would have a shot at scoring 700 points and would score 70 once a year, maybe twice. So that needs to be mentioned to the committee if he is going to have a chance. His "era" overlapped what was and what is now the passing game, so when it was opened up he had a Bulger that was not that great and he was in the twilight of his career.

If things were different he'd be a lock, but with all the players putting up numbers and many still playing it casts a shadow over what he accomplished.

I like Holt, but I'm not sure he and Bruce get in........then again I was sure Warner was going in so I could be all wet on this.

Interesting. Would you also put Marvin Harrison with Holt and Bruce.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo

Well in addition to the HOF receiving career, there's also the punt return numbers.
Brown was a very good PR and was a dual threat for several seasons.
10.2 career avg with 3 TD's.

Holt wasn't asked to be a returner due to having other guys, but I'd factor that in. IMO Brown was more of a HOF than Torry. JMO