Why I'm happy with Fisher getting an extension

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramfansince79

Rookie
Name
Ramsfan79
As everyone knows, the main reason we're not a fixture in the playoffs is our QB play.

I'm surprised Fisher and co get zero leeway for the incredibly bad luck they've had at the QB position:

1) Franchise QB (the reason we got Fisher in the first place) lost for back to back seasons with ACL's. I'm not sure if that's ever happened before.

2) Then they pull off a great trade to get Foles. They only needed him to play half ass and we would have had a good season. Instead Foles had one of the worst QB seasons of all time. I didn't think he was going to make the pro bowl again, but nobody saw that disaster coming.

In today's NFL, bad QB play = losing season. Take Dallas for example: popular pick to at least make the NFC championship game. Romo gets hurt and they are a dumpster fire.

Plus, every year we have top 5 hardest schedule.

When Fisher took over he said he knew which 53 guys were going to make the roster before camp even started. Practically everyone we cut was out of the league as no other teams wanted them. Now, everyone is licking their chops to snag our free agents and salary casualties. We have a solid roster aside from an established QB.

For the first time in a long time, I feel we have competent leadership. We have a tough physical team that nobody is anxious to play. Our drafts are really good and the cap guys do a good job. With some steady QB play, good things are coming our way.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
I might agree with you 100% had we beaten the 49ers
But we didn't....
The sting of that humiliating loss will stay with me for the entire offseason
But I hope an extension enables us to sign our free agents and maybe even go 8-8 which would be a victory in my book - a year too late but a victory nonetheless
Argh

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Hey new guy! You can't come in here all Willy nilly, recklessly tossing about bits of wisdom and logic.
:rant:Where are the insults?
:rant:Where is the, "Fisher is overrated" language?
:rant:Where is the, "We missed out on Chip Kelly" bleeting?

(n)Oh yeah. This is ROD. Welcome aboard brother. Log often.

Ramfansince79

Rookie
Name
Ramsfan79
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hey new guy! You can't come in here all Willy nilly, recklessly tossing about bits of wisdom and logic.
:rant:Where are the insults?
:rant:Where is the, "Fisher is overrated" language?
:rant:Where is the, "We missed out on Chip Kelly" bleeting?

(n)Oh yeah. This is ROD. Welcome aboard brother. Log often.
Thanks man, happy to be here!

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Canning Fisher before the team is in the new stadium wouldn't help anyway. Any new coaching staff coming in and trying to work out of boxes would be a fiasco and would likely yield worse results. Stability is needed, even if it is only average stability.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Besides, Fisher isn't some child like Jenkins that only plays up to a contract year, then relaxes after he has the money. Kroenke understands that.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Very happy about this decision. I think Fisher can put us over the hump once we finally avoid our horrible bad luck.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Besides, Fisher isn't some child like Jenkins that only plays up to a contract year, then relaxes after he has the money. Kroenke understands that.
Certainly no concern of that from Fish.

In all fairness though, not sure what an extension accomplishes at this point, honestly. Free agency is days away, if a deal isn't done by then it really is kind of pointless to me.

I'd rather wait and see how this staff performs with their feet to the fire. Can they find a competent QB? Keep their players from leaving? Bring in a key FA or two? Show progress on offense? These are all questions I'd like to see answered before rewarding the guy and his staff for 4 years of sub .500 football.

:bueller:

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
While it would be bizzarre if it didn't, it's not done yet...I wonder what the silent one is willing to pay Fisher at this point...I'm almost certain that it won't approximate the $ 7 million he's getting now...I think that's the number, I could certainly be wrong...After all I did make a huge error in 1972 and I can't remember what I had for lunch today...

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
It would only be fair as I'm sure that he wasn't supposed to win before the move anyway.

tempests

Hall of Fame
I'm surprised Fisher and co get zero leeway for the incredibly bad luck they've had at the QB position:

It occurs to me that every disposed OC and HC in NFL history had some bad luck. Some trades that didn't work out, injuries, an unfavorable schedule, players that under-performed, roster holes that couldn't be filled.

Re: QB, it's less a case of bad luck and more bad management. After Bradford tore his ACL the first time it's not exactly a reach that the Rams needed to plan for a future without him. Even holding the no 2 pick in the 2014 draft, and and three starting QBs in that class, they didn't. Bortles and Carr combined for 67 TD tosses last year(Rams QBs combined for 11). Instead they took an OT that leads the league in holding penalties.

Yet Fisher still has a chance to make up for it, a chance most coaches wouldn't get.

Ramfansince79

Rookie
Name
Ramsfan79
It occurs to me that every disposed OC and HC in NFL history had some bad luck. Some trades that didn't work out, injuries, an unfavorable schedule, players that under-performed, roster holes that couldn't be filled.

Re: QB, it's less a case of bad luck and more bad management. After Bradford tore his ACL the first time it's not exactly a reach that the Rams needed to plan for a future without him. Even holding the no 2 pick in the 2014 draft, and and three starting QBs in that class, they didn't. Bortles and Carr combined for 67 TD tosses last year(Rams QBs combined for 11). Instead they took an OT that leads the league in holding penalties.

Yet Fisher still has a chance to make up for it, a chance most coaches wouldn't get.

I agree with Fisher getting a rare chance.

In the case of G Rob. I swear he is watched more closely than any tackle in the league. If he played for say, the Packers of Patriots, he'd probably be an all pro.

I recently re-watched the Cardinals/Packers playoff game, and if the Packers lineman were held to the same standard of holding that Robinson is, there would have been at least 30 offensive holding calls in that game alone.

Maybe our move to LA will give us some favorable treatment by the officials.

Ramfansince79

Rookie
Name
Ramsfan79
Welcome my man! Are you a Post Dispatch refugee? I seem to remember a similr user name over there a few years back
Wasn't me, but I often read the Dispatch online. Too bad about Bryan Burwell, I always like his stuff.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
How can you say that about Jenkins when it remains to be seen how he will play after his payday?

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
How can you say that about Jenkins when it remains to be seen how he will play after his payday?

Fair enough Pancake. He may very well play hard all the way through his career. But the childishness is already on display. That is undeniable.