Why Fisher Chose St. Louis

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFP ... -3115.html

NFP Sunday Blitz
Why Fisher chose St. Louis; Scout Talk on Senior Bowl standouts; coaching moves and more. Dan Pompei
Print ThisJANUARY 29, 2012, 05:30 AM EST11 COMMENTS

It wasn’t the money that drew Jeff Fisher to St. Louis.

It wasn’t the power.

It wasn’t the Arch.

It was the quarterback.

If Sam Bradford were in Miami or Jacksonville or Washington or someplace else, chances are Fisher would not be in St. Louis. Bradford isn’t the only thing the new Rams coach likes about his job, mind you. But Bradford was a big draw. “The exciting part is Mr. Kroenke’s vision, the direction he wants to take this football team,” Fisher told me. “I’m honored and privileged to be a part of that. This is an opportunity to build a foundation. And Sam was a big part of the decision.”

Fisher arguably never has had a chance to work with a quarterback with as much potential as Bradford, though he has coached some good ones. There was Steve McNair, who was a three-time Pro Bowler and the co-most valuable player in 2003. There was Vince Young, the third overall pick of the draft and a Heisman winner. There was Kerry Collins, who has thrown for more yards than all but nine players in NFL history.

Bradford should be better than all of them. “We think he has a chance to be grrrreat,” Fisher said, sounding a little like he was pitching Frosted Flakes. “A lot of people around the league believe that. We are going to everything possible to make that happen.”

Sam Bradford was a powerful draw to Jeff Fisher.
Fisher and Bradford first met at a conference room at the Indianapolis Holiday Inn where the Titans were interviewing college prospects during the 2010 combine. Fisher walked away impressed. “I remember just about every word he said,” Fisher said. “He was very, very impressive, sharp, motivated. Hates losing like most elite college players.”

When Fisher thought the Rams job was a possibility, he started researching Bradford. He did some tape study. He called some friends who had worked with him to find out more about him from a personal perspective.

The coach and quarterback met again in January as part of Fisher’s interview process. After Fisher’s initial interview with Kroenke in Denver, he came to St. Louis and toured the Rams’ Earth City facility. While there, he met with Bradford for close to two hours.

“It went way beyond getting acquainted,” Fisher said. “I didn’t need to get him on the board. He knows more offense than I do. We exchanged ideas. I wanted to get a sense of him and the team, his teammates, the pulse, where he thought they were. His injury [a high ankle sprain that limited him to 10 starts] was a difficult thing, especially with the lack of an offseason, and it being his second year. We covered it. I felt very comfortable as he did when we went different directions.”

The thought of working with Bradford is enough to revitalize a 53-year old, 17-year NFL head coaching veteran. But having a year off helped Fisher too.

“The first objective when I stepped aside was to completely get away, get recharged,” Fisher said. “I needed to distance myself from it.”

In the offseason, Fisher didn’t pay much attention to the NFL. He spent a lot of time training to climb Mount Kilimanjaro, which he did last May. He stayed on the competition committee as a non-voting member, attending meetings. When the season came, he made about a half dozen trips to New York to help out the league’s officiating department. He watched his son Trent play football at Auburn, and his other son Brandon coach for the Lions. “To be able to go to an Auburn home game and sit with a ball cap on backwards as a parent was kind of a rare experience for me,” he said. “I really enjoyed that.”

The time away recharged Fisher and gave him a new perspective. “As I got back involved, I looked at what would you differently, what would you do moving forward,” he said. “You look at things differently. I’m rested. I’m really excited.”

Especially because of who he has under center.

Go Sam!!! Go Sam!!!

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Geez, you should read this thread at the PD forum. There's some guy there who is just bashing Bradford. When others call him out on his irrational bashing he starts bashing them.

Why can't you actually post something positive about the Rams and not start a huge argument?

I was not there in 2000, but I wonder if it was that way?

The CardsTalk forum still had some bashers going into game 6 of the WS. I guess it takes a championship to shut them up.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

i really hope fisher and his staff can get the best out of bradford.

because this season he looked terrible. i mean every single throw just looked difficult for him as the season went on. the first couple of weeks were alright, even if he missed some wide open receivers, but he looked like he had it under control. but then it all went pear shaped for him. simple completions looked like they were a major chore just getting the ball out.

we can blame alot of things - the line, the receivers, bradford, his ankle injury, jackson's injury on the first play of the season, the play calling. but none of that helped him progress. he was clearly not happy with the offense.

i'm feeling alot better with fisher in charge. he will help bradford become the qb we all want him to be. why? because it will not be all on bradford. mcnair in his prime never had to do it all himself, even though sometimes he did. fisher will make sure bradford is protected and that the rams will run the ball effectively just like he did with the titans/oilers.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Well said Kurtfaulk ^^^^

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I thought Bradford threw the ball real well when he had time to throw it, but then he lost a little confidence because he was getting pounded from everywhere. Then, receivers and tight ends were dropping very nice passes at an alarming rate and many of those on third downs. He will bounce back, he will be special. Watch and see. I didn't see anything that really concerned me, other than him getting pounded. The arm was there, the accuracy was there, the decision making was just OK, but many factors played into that. You can't go to your 2nd and 3rd reads when you don't have time. The offensive line and WR positions were revolving doors all season.

Bradford only played one game with Amendola. He didn't play one game with Lloyd, when Bradford was healthy. Bradford played a lot better than Roethlesberger who has way more talent around him with the same injury. I'm not worried in the slightest.

steferfootball

Starter
DR RAM said:
I thought Bradford threw the ball real well when he had time to throw it, but then he lost a little confidence because he was getting pounded from everywhere. Then, receivers and tight ends were dropping very nice passes at an alarming rate and many of those on third downs. He will bounce back, he will be special. Watch and see. I didn't see anything that really concerned me, other than him getting pounded. The arm was there, the accuracy was there, the decision making was just OK, but many factors played into that. You can't go to your 2nd and 3rd reads when you don't have time. The offensive line and WR positions were revolving doors all season.

Bradford only played one game with Amendola. He didn't play one game with Lloyd, when Bradford wasn't healthy. Bradford played a lot better than Roethlesberger who has way more talent around him with the same injury. I'm not worried in the slightest.
I agree. McD said nothing that has happened this season should affect him.

I also heard a report that said the recievers were having trouble figuring out when to make their cuts.

According to Brandon Lloyd, Bradford knew exactly what he was doing.

I don't think there is cause for concern unless we don't get some offensive pieces.