Why Eddie Lacy fits even @ 16.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
As many of you know, I'm a big fan of Eddie Lacy. I try not to overanalyze combine/pro day numbers...just looking at tape and character. Eddie Lacy meets the tape and character requirement for me.

I don't believe the players available @ either 16/22 are a "can't miss" type (not like there are any "can't miss" guys at those spots anyway).

Some of the players in the last few drafts @ 16 were: Quinton Coples, Ryan Kerrigan, Derrick Morgan, Larry English, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Justin Harrell.

But...at 22: Brandon Weeden, Anthony Castanzo, Demaryius Thomas, Percy Harvin, Felix Jones, Brady Quinn.

So based on history, 22nd is the better pick. But of course previous year's picks have no influence on future, so back to the Rams and Eddie Lacy.

The players that should be available at 16 don't really have that factor to greatly change the team sooner. All the players have questions (you all know them by now so I won't go them by now) or aren't options because of money spent on other positions (such as DT or OL).

At 16, right smack in the middle, is not a bad place for Eddie Lacy to go.

-The rookie scale greatly reduces his contract.

-He fills a need (as an every down guy, Isaiah Pead will get his touches).

-He's the best projected at his position.

-He's a player that can make an impact now and be part of the future at the same time.

-The Rams need rushing TDs at the goal line and getting that 1st down on 3rd and short.

Are there any players that have little question marks or can make immediate impacts? I don't think so...it's either intelligence, health, every-down player, etc w/ the other guys.

I hate buzzwords like "reach and value" but there are reasons why some players are projected to go higher than others. @ 22, guys like Matt Elam (who I think goes to the Bengals), DeAndre Hopkins, Justin Hunter, Alec Ogletree, Jon Cryprien, Keenan Allen, etc. would be options and adding with Eddie Lacy could be a nice draft haul, coupled with w/e the 2nd round pick is.

Is Eddie Lacy with DeAndre Hopkins/DJ Swearinger at 16, 22, 46 bad options? What about Justin Hunter/Arthur Brown? Matt Elam/Kyle Long? Alec Ogletree/Larry Warford?

I'm thinking there might be better players @ the tail end of the 1st round rather than the 1st half (similar to the 2009 draft). That said, Eddie Lacy might be the "surest" thing at that spot.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
No, shall I elaborate?
OK, hell no :ww:
Lacy is a second round tallent at best who IMO will be there at 48,if you want him there you may pick him ,otherwise,uh uh.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I don't see him being a 1st round guy. I think he was only pushed into it so that there would be at least one guy. The rightful spot belongs to Lattimore, but obviously that's not happening now. I like Lacy, but i don't believe he will share the same success he had at Alabama in the pros.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
And certainly not at 16

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
El Juggernauto said:
I don't see him being a 1st round guy. I think he was only pushed into it so that there would be at least one guy. The rightful spot belongs to Lattimore, but obviously that's not happening now. I like Lacy, but i don't believe he will share the same success he had at Alabama in the pros.

Yeah that's my thoughts, who in college football COULDN'T run behind that line,with that defense ON that team?
He's prtty good and certainly it's an accomplishment to BE Bama's feature back,but NO ,not at 16.
Besides IMO th RB position is ONLY worth a mid to upper 1st for a freak, which Lacy isn't he's just good.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
El Juggernauto said:

Agree that Marcus is the guy, but one horrible injury lke that and his career is in jeopardy. I'd hold my breath every time he took a step. As for being pushed into that spot, well I thought Matt Ryan was forced into being the "best QB" b/c there was no one else and all the talk from the previous year w/ Purple Drank and Brady Quinn. Course we all know how that ended up.

The 2 WRs I see mocked @ 16 have questions. Talent isn't the question, is the amount of time they can play now, especially as a top 20 pick. W/ Brian Quick already in that developing role, I don't see the benefit vs. someone like Eddie who can come in and play.

Unless someone like Jarvis Jones "falls" then of course I'd pass on Eddie.

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
i cant see us spending a first round pick on a part time running back. there is no way fisher takes touches away from pead and richardson. we have Lacy on this team allready a big back that can get 2 or 3 yards when we need it and he is Ganaway.

Lacy is a good back but he is not fast enough to outrun people so he will be a short yardage back. just dont see a reason to take him.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
If the Rams took him @16 I would be fucking pissed. Not gonna sugar coat it.

duckhunter

Starter
I'm not batting too well when it comes to reading fish's mind. He likes big RBs and said he wants one so along with ten or so other prospects, it's a possibility. I didn't put one in my dream draft so chances are Fish may take him at 22. At 48 he's very good value. His running between the tackles is a very attractive commodity.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Thordaddy said:
El Juggernauto said:

Yeah that's my thoughts, who in college football COULDN'T run behind that line,with that defense ON that team?
He's prtty good and certainly it's an accomplishment to BE Bama's feature back,but NO ,not at 16.
Besides IMO th RB position is ONLY worth a mid to upper 1st for a freak, which Lacy isn't he's just good.

In addition, he showed up to his pro day 12lbs lighter than his playing weight so he could run the 40 faster and still ran slow. Apparently it wasn't appreciated that he didn't show up in top shape.

At 48? Maybe. 1st round? I think there are a lot better impact picks for those spots.

Playmaker

Angry Ram......That is a REEEEEEEAAAAAAACCCCCHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Name the last time a team won a Super Bowl where their starting RB was a former first round pick that they chose?

Answer: Joseph Addai (Colts) 2006

Name how many teams have won a Super Bowl since the 2001 season where their starting RB was a former first round pick that they chose?

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
Angry, I'm fucking with you. I know it's an unpopular view and honestly, I trust the judgement of our brain trust so i wknt be pissed if they dont take my guy. But if it were ME making the pick...? Lacy over Austin every day.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
First of all, #22 being the better pick doesn't make a bit of sense nor does it support an argument for Lacy. Second of all, I don't want a player who showed up to his Pro Day out of shape. Third of all, Lacy isn't the best HB in the draft imo. Fourth of all, HB isn't worth a 1st round pick. Fifth of all, with the depth in this class, I wouldn't take a HB in the first 3 rounds.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Playmaker said:

Name the last time a team won a Super Bowl where their starting RB was a former first round pick that they chose?

Name how many teams have won a Super Bowl since the 2001 season where their starting RB was a former first round pick that they chose?

I agree with the point you're making but your evidence is just as much of a reach as the one Angry Ram made.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
jrry32 said:
Playmaker said:

I agree with the point you're making but your evidence is just as much of a reach as the one Angry Ram made.

Because your evidence of "HB isn't worth a first round pick" was flawless logic. I'm not trying to be argumentative, but guys like AP, Jackson, LT, MJD, Gore, Lynch and countless others would absolutely be worth first round picks.

We all (including me) are getting too hung up on our own preferences and forgetting that, with two first rounders and with fisher and Snead making the picks, we can't lose either way.

Playmaker

jrry32 said:

So 11 out of the past 12 Super Bowl Champions isn't enough evidence for you? What is the old saying? One is an accident. Two is a trend. And the trend shows you don't draft RB's in the first round anymore and win Super Bowls. No matter how good that RB is.

Playmaker

ScotsRam said:
Because your evidence of "HB isn't worth a first round pick" was flawless logic. I'm not trying to be argumentative, but guys like AP, Jackson, LT, MJD, Gore, Lynch and countless others would absolutely be worth first round picks.

We all (including me) are getting too hung up on our own preferences and forgetting that, with two first rounders and with fisher and Snead making the picks, we can't lose either way.

But MJD and Gore weren't first round picks. You can't be "hindsight guy." LT, AP, Jacson, Lynch, and every other RB that has been picked in the first round, not named Joseph Addai, since the 2001 draft all have one thing in common as starters. You know what that is? ZERO SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONSHIPS.

These are your starting Super Bowl winning Champion RB's since 2001
2001 New England Patriots
Antoine Smith (First Round pick by the Buffalo Bills, signed for peanuts by NE)

2002 Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Michael Bennett (4th Rd Pick by Arizona)

2003 New England Patriots
Kevin Faulk (2nd Rd Pick by New England)

2004 New England Patriots
Corey Dillon (2nd Rd Pick by Cincinnati, traded to NE in 2004)

2005 Pittsburgh Steelers
Willie Parker (Undrafted)

2006 Indianapolis Colts
Joseph Addai (First Round Pick by the Indianapolis Colts)

2007 New York Giants
Brandon Jacobs (4th Round Pick by the Giants)

2008 Pittsburgh Steelers
Willie Parker (UDFA)

2009 New Orleans Saints
Pierre Thomas (Undrafted)

2010 Green Bay Packers
James Starks (6th Round Pick by Green Bay)

2011 New York Giants
Ahmad Bradshaw (7th Round Pick by the Giants)

2012 Baltimore Ravens
Ray Rice (2nd round pick by the Ravens)

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
Playmaker said:
ScotsRam said:

But MJD and Gore weren't first round picks. You can't be "hindsight guy." LT, AP, Jacson, Lynch, and every other RB that has been picked in the first round, not named Joseph Addai, since the 2001 draft all have one thing in common as starters. You know what that is? ZERO SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONSHIPS.

These are your starting Super Bowl winning Champion RB's since 2001
2001 New England Patriots
Antoine Smith (First Round pick by the Buffalo Bills, signed for peanuts by NE)

2002 Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Michael Bennett (4th Rd Pick by Arizona)

2003 New England Patriots
Kevin Faulk (2nd Rd Pick by New England)

2004 New England Patriots
Corey Dillon (2nd Rd Pick by Cincinnati, traded to NE in 2004)

2005 Pittsburgh Steelers
Willie Parker (Undrafted)

2006 Indianapolis Colts
Joseph Addai (First Round Pick by the Indianapolis Colts)

2007 New York Giants
Brandon Jacobs (4th Round Pick by the Giants)

2008 Pittsburgh Steelers
Willie Parker (UDFA)

2009 New Orleans Saints
Pierre Thomas (Undrafted)

2010 Green Bay Packers
James Starks (6th Round Pick by Green Bay)

2011 New York Giants
Ahmad Bradshaw (7th Round Pick by the Giants)

2012 Baltimore Ravens
Ray Rice (2nd round pick by the Ravens)

I don't understand what you're trying to prove. Are you saying those teams wouldn't have won the SuperBowl if their starting RBs WERE first rounders? You've identified a trend, but it's irrelevant. You've just called me hindsight guy, isn't looking at past trends being that guy too?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Playmaker said:
jrry32 said:

So 11 out of the past 12 Super Bowl Champions isn't enough evidence for you? What is the old saying? One is an accident. Two is a trend. And the trend shows you don't draft RB's in the first round anymore and win Super Bowls. No matter how good that RB is.

If there is a clear BPA and he happens to be a RB then maybe you take him with your first pick. I'm sure there are other positions that 11 out of the last 12 champions haven't taken in the first round and yet we will probably see some of those positions go in the first round this season. Potentially even picked by some of those former champs. If not - so be it. I'm not a big RB in the first guy but in particular, I am not in favor of Lacy in the first. If another SJ or Marshall or AP or ED is sitting there in the first - I jump all over it.