Why Do I feel like im the only One Satisfied with Sam's 2012

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Re: Why Do I feel like im the only One Satisfied with Sam's

I concur with Sam missing those short out routes too often. And yes sometimes they are throw aways but his facial expression often times tells us he wishes he had that throw back or is a little puzzled as to why he sailed it a touch. Next year we will be impressed!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

CGI_Ram said:
bluecoconuts said:
I don't know if I would say satisfied, to me that suggests that I'm fine with him staying where he is. I want him to always improve, because the better he is the better we are.

That being said I was very happy with Sam's season, I thought he did very well. He showed all sorts of signs that if we put a good team around him, he will be an elite QB that takes us on deep playoff runs.

Same here.

Another thing Sam showed this year; TOUGHNESS

He got plowed a few times. One game (can't remember which) I thought he dislocated his shoulder on an awful tackle/fall. After sitting out a play or two; he was right back out there.

Everyone loves a tough guy. Sam is one of them.

I believe it was Dont'a Hightower during the Patriots game. And I agree with you.

Gotta remember, Sam has suffered greatly from his supporting cast. For example, a poster on another board recently claimed that Sam needs a great WR corp, an elite running game and amazing weapons to succeed then went onto say that elite QBs only need 1 or 2 of the above at best. My response was how would we know? Sam was given an average running game, a bad OL and terrible weapons during his time here. How do we know that he needs all 3? Maybe he'd be just fine with average to above average in all 3 categories.

Hell, he posted 21 TDs to 13 ints with the 3 we gave him. What type of numbers would he post with amazing weapons and an average running game/OL? What type of numbers would he post with all of the 3 being average? Logic would dictate that his numbers would improve in both cases.

Of course, no response so far from that poster.

Givens and Amendola(if he's retained) look like they can be players if Amendola can stay healthy. But we still need that #1 guy. Whether it's Quick or someone else, we need to find him to elevate this WR corp from bad to average/good. And we need to plug the holes in the OL. Boudreau has done an amazing job thus far but there's only so far you can take the talent we have. We need to upgrade.

Honestly, I think if you gave us just Calvin Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald, Bradford probably would have put up numbers comparable to Big Ben this year and better than Flacco's. The guy did well considering the circumstances.

And for anyone who argues that the circumstances don't greatly affect the QB...he should elevate the talent around him...compare Tom Brady before 2007 to Tom Brady in 2007 and afterward. Then consider the changes that NE made.

Weapons and supporting cast are imperative for a QB just like they are for any other position.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer

Sam had like 5 go ahead or tying drives this year. He was a stud in the 4th qtr. He improved, rather than regress as the year went on. I just want to see more continuity on the OL/WR, it's not about having all-pro players everywhere.

iced

I am happy with Sam's performance to a point. I expected more by now but understand the circumstances surrounding him (There are no Julio Jones, Calvin Johnsons, Aj Greens, etc.) for him to work with and inconsistent coordinators..

I expect a ton of growth though - and some huge numbers next season. Look at the defenses we're playing outside the division...

A LOT of weaker ones

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom

biggame1190 said:
Why Do I feel like im the only one satisfied with Sam's 2012 season? It really makes me sick to my stomach when I see fans acting like 2012 for Sam was a bad year smh. Sam made great strides! Strides that the stat sheet does not always show! And doing so once again with an interchanging Offensive Line, subpar/young/injuried Wide Receivers, and yes new offensive playbook. I am not listing these things as excuses for sub-par play because I did not see 2012 as a sub-par year for our QB (with what he had to work with). I saw many great things!

hi-res-152102576_crop_650x440.jpg

I went into the 2012 season with a checklist of things I wanted Sam to improve on. The list consisted off....

-Limit tipped passes from defensive lineman

-Show more pocket awareness for blitzers

-Show more of his athleticism in and out of the pocket

-Go through progressions on WRs. Option 1, 2, 3, etc

-Limit Starring down WRs

-Show fans the great deep ball he has (I never doubted this BTW)

-Use eyes to change direction of DBs

-Make plays in the clutch when opportunities show itself

When the 2012 season was all over I could go back to this list and check mark everything on it! Did Sam perfect everything on it? No..Nor was I expecting that...Did Sam show great improvement in all? Yes he certainly did!

-Limit tipped passes from defensive lineman --- 2010 and 2011 we saw a lot of this. I am willing to say that Sam averaged maybe 2 swatted down passes from DLineman per game during his first two seasons. So much so that I could remember quiet a few of them. Well 2012 I can remember very little of them. Only 2 to be honest. I would say Sam had under 10 tipped passes from defensive lineman in 2012.

-Show more awareness for blitzers --- Sam's alarm clock in his head rung much better in 2012. Sam has done a much better job throwing the hot read (even if the WR did not expect it smh) upon a big blitz, as well as being smart and throwing the ball away. A lot of the deep Gibson fades thrown out of bounds that many knock him for saying "bad pass" just don't understand that Sam is really just throwing the ball away because of combination of blitzers and un-open WRs.

-Show more of his athleticism in and out of the pocket --- We saw more of 2010 mobility Sam Bradford in 2012. A improved one IMO. I was happy to see Sam on bootlegs, and very happy to see Sam "take what he can get" (As Sam would say) in rushing opportunities. WHILE SLIDING :ww:. Games such as the 49ers and Dolphins showed great heart and will for what Sam will do for the team on the ground if given the opportunity. For the first time in Sam's career he crossed the century mark in rushing yards (127 yards: Pretty good for a pocket passer). But also what was a joy to see was Sam uses his athleticism on passes. Throws on the run like the Kendricks TD (Cards 1) and the 2 point conversion to SJ39 (Fins) are two examples of what Sam was doing at times in 2012 with his athleticism.

-Go through progressions on WRs. Option 1, 2, 3, etc --- Now I understand that this was very hard to do in 2011 because the offensive line was such a disaster that Sam did not even have time to go through even his first option at moments. But thankfully while our line was far from perfect in 2012, they did have some good moments, moments where you got to see Sam going through his progressions. This is great yet sad; sad because sometimes I would notice Sam go through maybe all 3 or 4 of his progressions/options down field yet the play would end in a coverage sack, throw away, or short dump off because no one was open. Great for Sam though, showing great improvement on this shows that he is certainly not "gun shy". This was easy to notice because you saw Sam's head moving from left sideline, to middle field, to right sideline.

-Limit Starring down WRs --- This practically falls under the category above. Well all know that in 2010 Sam was very dependent on Dolamite, so much so that he would stare down #16 like me starring down that 10/10 chick I would never get in the bar :lol:. Well I personally did not see that issue in 2012. In both instances, when Danny was active and when Danny was inactive.

-Show fans the great deep ball he has (I never doubted this BTW) --- I was personally never skeptical on Sam's deep ball, I just knew that he never really had a deep threat WR to display it, until we drafted the kid I wanted in round 2, in round 4 of 2012... Sam showed his deep ball right from the get-go in 2010 with Mark Clayton, both connecting for numerous 35+ yard plays within the first month. Then Clayton goes down, Robinson not on the same page, Danny working the middle short, and Gibson...Well you know Gibby :cheese:. 2011 comes and Mike Sims Walker drops numerous threaded needle deep balls to get himself cut, Brandon lloyd comes on the scene but its when Sam's ankle was hindering him from putting juice on his throw....Ok 2012! Chris Givens arrives! Sam showed he has one of the best deep balls in the game! Go with the two Cardinals TDs, the Pats TD, hell go to the should-have-been 80 yard catch and run to Danny in SF. Too many to choose from! Sam had eight 40+ yard passes this season (7 combined the two years before). Sam always had this skill, it just took a while for him to fully display it because of personnel.

-Use eyes to change direction of DBs --- Sam did a great job of baiting defenders in 2012. Really helped out the WRs to free them into space. The Washington TD to Gibby pops in my head right away. Sam makes that Safety follow his eyes then on his pump fake helping Gibby sell his cut....Game over. Similar play in the @Arizona game, Kendricks TD. Sam had the safety vs a open Givens and open Kendricks. Sam looks at Givens, Safety turns his hips to the left sideline, Sam delivers a strike to Kendricks in midfield who rumbles into the endzone. This little trick by the QB has a big payoff, love it.

-Make plays in the clutch when opportunities show itself --- If anyone watched the season and does not have a vendetta on Sam then they will tell you that #8 is at his best in the clutch! Sam Bradford had 4 fourth quarter comebacks and 6 fourth quarter go ahead leads. For you stat Sam's QB rating in the 4th quarter was in the top 5 of the league. No need to mention any games because if you just watch most of our wins and most of our close loses in 2012 then you will see Sam putting his team in position to win. And that is what you want from a QB.

Now let me point out that I DID NOT and DO NOT expect perfection from Sam.....And that's no pun on Sam at all, because I do not expect perfection from ANYONE. NOBODY! Because no one is perfect. But I did expect Sam to improve on some of the fronts that I listed above. I knew that having a QB coach this time around would really help in his TRUE year 2 of 2012 (2011 was a voided year IMO: Just disaster on every front of a team), I knew that he is 100% motivated on making this team respectable, I knew that we would see good things in 2012 from Sam.

So I just dislike when people are like "If we don't see anything good from Sam in 2013 then...etc"....Just stop. Stop acting like Sam didn't show good things this season because he did.

GIVE HIM SOME DAMN CREDIT! IMO the MVP of the Rams in 2012.

I look forward to seeing Sam play in the future, in the same offense with new toys!

Nice post.

Not sure I could have stated it better myself.

Go Rams!

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion

I don't even care if his #'s are not "elite" as long as he plays consistent, mistake free football. For the most part, he already does that, and I think this year he will improve across the board. With the way this roster is shaping up, I don't think we will see a ton of 300+ yd games from him. That is not how this team is built, and not how Fisher teams usually play anyway. Just play good football and take what the defense gives you. Get us 24ppg and let the defense EAT!!! It may not be sexy, but I will take victories over meaningless stats all day....

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom

Faceplant said:
I don't even care if his #'s are not "elite" as long as he plays consistent, mistake free football. For the most part, he already does that, and I think this year he will improve across the board. With the way this roster is shaping up, I don't think we will see a ton of 300+ yd games from him. That is not how this team is built, and not how Fisher teams usually play anyway. Just play good football and take what the defense gives you. Get us 24ppg and let the defense EAT!!! It may not be sexy, but I will take victories over meaningless stats all day....

Nicely put.

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory

I voted for Sam as team MVP and all of these reasons are why.