Why didn’t Sammy Watkins thrive here?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Reading the stories from KC... they sound optimistic... so why didn’t Watkins thrive here?

I mean, there were times he seemed a little lost. Was it a lack of offseason in the offense?

There were times he seemed to give up on plays. Was he in “contract year” mode?

Sure, he scored a chunk of TD’s... but he was MIA for stretches... Was he overmatched by #1 caliber cornerbacks at times?

Did he not gel with teammates?

Not enough balls to go around?

He didn’t exactly struggle here... but with 590 yards... he didn’t reach levels most expected being injury free. Why do you think that was?

————

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...hiefs-challenge-him-by-moving-him-all-around/

Sammy Watkins earning rave reviews as Chiefs challenge him by moving him all around

The Chiefs' new receiver is handling the added responsibilities that Andy Reid's offense requires

Sammy Watkins has been with the Chiefs for a little more than three months, but he's already demonstrating his potential to thrive in Andy Reid's demanding but dynamite offensive system. After giving Watkins a three-year, $48 million deal in free agency, the Chiefs have thrown the gauntlet at Watkins by asking him to move all over the place and challenging his mind.

So far so good, according to Reid, who acknowledged that he has "overloaded" Watkins to this point.

"We're moving him all over the place, and he's handled it," Reid said, per ESPN's Adam Teicher. "We've overloaded him with that. That's how we do it in this offense. That's something new for him. You can tell he's a guy that takes it away from here and studies. When we're doing all these different formations, you've got to do that. You just can't get it all when you're here. You've got to go back and you've got to review, and he's done that and he's really limited the mistakes for all we've given him."

It might be difficult to pick up, but Reid's offense gets results. Reid, who is entering his 20th season as an NFL head coach (14 years with the Eagles and this will be his sixth with the Chiefs), has trotted out a top-10 scoring offense 11 times. In 2017, he turned Alex Smith into the league's highest-rated passer and top-rated deep-ball thrower. Now, after trading Smith to Washington, Reid is developing 2017 first-round pick Patrick Mahomes into the franchise's new long-term quarterback. To help Mahomes develop into the kind of quarterback he's shown flashes of being in preseason outings and one regular-season game, Reid brought in Watkins, who is expected to add another dimension to an already explosive offense.

"He made some catches sometimes that I don't know how they're possible," Mahomes said.

On his part, Watkins called mastering Reid's offense "a mental challenge."

"This offense is the broadest offense I've ever been in," Watkins said. "It's definitely a mental challenge. But I think that's what kind of gets me up every day to study the plays and come out here encouraged. Anybody can get the ball and I've got to learn all the positions. I can't just learn one position. I have to be focused and tuned in, in meetings. You have to do that off-the-field work and stay in your [playbook].

"You just get more opportunities on linebackers [and] safeties. It's definitely easier working against a linebacker or getting open against safeties."

Watkins, a former first-round pick of the Bills, hasn't lived up to expectations coming out Clemson due to a variety of factors, with injuries being one of them. In four seasons (three in Buffalo and another with the Rams), Watkins has played in 52 of 64 possible games, catching 192 passes for 3,052 yards and 25 touchdowns. On a per-season basis, those numbers average out to 763 yards and 6.25 touchdowns. So Watkins hasn't been great, but he also hasn't been bad. He's been solid. It's only because of his first-round billing that he's viewed by some as a disappointment.

He's joining an offense, though, that should maximize his talent. If anyone knows how to get the most out of talented playmakers, it's Reid. Just look at how he's used Tyreek Hill, Kareem Hunt, and Travis Kelce.

"He's a full-speed guy," Watkins said of Reid. "Every day you come out here, every rep, it's full speed. That's just going to help me translate that during the game. He's helped me in this short amount of time with just being a compete receiver, not just being [a receiver who just runs go-routes]. I've got to learn the whole route tree. The standard that he wants ... he's called me out in meetings. That's what you want as a player. I take full advantage of all those things.

"I've never been in an offense like this, around a coach that just feels like he's obsessed with the game and makes you want to be obsessed with it, too, to know more about the offense. The more you break it down the more you can be available and switching different positions."

So, let's set reasonable expectations for him. A year ago, Watkins played in the best offense of his career in Los Angeles with Todd Gurley running the ball, Jared Goff throwing the ball, and of course, Sean McVay calling the plays. Despite the setting, Watkins didn't submit an optimal stat line, catching only 39 passes for only 593 yards. Eight touchdowns salvaged his season.

Setting expectations is difficult because we don't really know how Mahomes will fare in what is essentially his first season. But there's reason to expect Watkins, if he can stay healthy, to see his stat line grow. For all of the improvements Goff made last season, he still wasn't the best deep-ball thrower. Writing for Music City Miracles, John R. Kinsley explained that Goff's accuracy on throws that traveled at least 16 yards in the air was 43.9 percent last season. According to Kinsley, Goff was accurate on six of 20 passes that went 16-plus yards in the air and targeted Watkins.

Meanwhile, in a very small sample size, Mahomes has shown the ability to make incredible throws deep downfield.

Those throws will likely target Watkins in 2018. Again, we don't know if Mahomes will perform on deep passes over the course of an entire season. We don't know if Watkins can stay healthy. And we do know that the Chiefs boast a wide array of weapons, all of which will be incorporated into the offense.

But the Chiefs did not give Watkins a monster contract so that he could be a sporadic home-run threat. Based on the quotes above, we should expect them to keep him involved by moving him around the field, creating mismatches against slower linebackers in the slot, and asking him to do things he hasn't really done in years past.

Watkins is just one reason why the Chiefs are going to trot out one of the most intriguing offenses in the coming season.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

My theory is Goff noticed very early that Watkins couldn't adjust to a ball that didn't land a foot in front of his chest. So unless he thought he could do that he wouldn't throw it his way. Whenever he was off the mark with the ball it was an incompletion. I think Watkins was worried he would damage his foot if he planted it to stop suddenly to go get a ball behind him. So he didn't.

Maybe now he has his guaranteed money we may see a more agile version of Watkins. He was like a semi trailer at the rams. Ran straight and hard then took an age to slow down.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
He had a decent year, 8 tds is nothing to get upset about.

He didn't reach his full potential because he seemed lost , didn't create enough separation.

This offense is very complex and recievers need to run great routes EVERY PLAY . some of the plays Sammy seemed like he was jogging .

All the athletic potential in the world but lacks some of the fundamentals. In college he was bigger stronger and faster than most guys covering him , not so anymore.

Cooks will be a huge upgrade, the guy is a true reciever and can run any route.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Well, Watkins did not have the whole time in the system and I believe that played into it, however, Watkins did not pick up the system as quickly either. I wish him well in Kansas City, but I believe the Rams now has a WR in Cooks that is a better fit for McVay's system, but to answer the thread, why he didn't thrive?

1. Not having a full year to work with Goff so the chemistry was not consistent...Goff was more in tune with Woods & Kupp.
  2. Not understanding the scheme, Watkins said he would have the offense down in a month, but that was not the case and led to Watkins not being able to run the full gambit of plays designed for him.
  3. The emergence of Woods, when Woods went down, the offense did not look the same and Sammy was more of a decoy, which opened up routes for Woods & Kupp.

Flint

Pro Bowler
I think the combination of his contract getting done and having a full offseason has put him in a better place mentally and emotionally. I think he’s excited to be where he is and I think( hope) that that is the reason for his comments which could be seen as a slap. Watkins has raved about the scheme and Andy Reid being the best coach he’s ever been with. Of course we in ram nation say this was one of most prolific offenses in the nfl and McVay was coach of the year last year, what more do you want?
Maybe it just wasn’t a good fit, Sammy claims to be more of a team guy than when he was younger but I suspect he still wants to be the guy which isn’t the way McVay runs things. Maybe it was just a case of an oval peg in a round hole, it doesn’t quite fit.

fearsomefour

Legend
We will see in KC if he flourishes or not.
He has his big multi year contract and a QB who is supposed to be great that he will be together with full time.
Hate to say it but so far Watkins is a less idiotic and more hyped and slightly better Kenny Britt.
But, Sammy is only 25. He could settle in in KC and tear it up.
Interesting to me he is already on to his third team.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lack of effort on a few plays a game .

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
He struggled to conform to the offense. He thought he should be the number 1 out of the gate and wasn't. His old number 2 was. So he slacked off at times early on. The problem was when he had a talk with McVay and realized that wouldn't fly and started to try to be consistent, the first impression was already made. Goff didn't look to him cause he didn't trust him to be where he was supposed to be. I think Watkins ran routes not looking for the ball and when it came his way he held spite in his heart and didn't really try for some of them. Not used to having to earn his spot, messed with his head.

Ram65

Legend
This is a very complexing question. It would have been nice to see Sammy's route running in the all 22s. I thought he wasn't getting enough targets early on. Peter King IIRC said he was open a lot but, did not get thrown to. Overall, it was coming in late resulting in falling behind Woods and Kupp as Goff's comfort playmakers. Goff and Watkins struggled on deep passes early as the timing just was not there. Sammy did help out in the red zone with TDs. He had a nice YPC average 15.2 which includes those short TD passes. His career YPC is higher at 15.9

Here are stats I find very interesting
http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/16725/sammy-watkins

Career Targets/Receptions
192/345 = 55.65 Completion percentage

Rams Targets/ Receptions
39/70 = 55.71 Completion Percentage

Watkins was right on his career average. He did have a better percentage in year two at Buffalo 60/95=63.15 CP. Could be another year with Goff and they get a better connection with each other. Goff had better results with Woods and Kupp so it made sense to throw to them more. Time to move on to Cooks who seems like a better fit with the Rams and Goff.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
IMO this is what Watkins is..........his history bears that out.

He didn't have big numbers, but that's because he had fewer targets than he ever had. In BUF he was really the go to WR and saw the ball more often. He never was a "true #1 WR" and I hate that term because in today's NFL it's as useless as can be. The Bills never had more than 2 weapons at WR, Watkins and Woods. The Rams have a handful of weapons.

McVay spreads it around and has coached Goff to do that too. It's smart football. Different plays are designed to get guys open in order to spread it around to stress defenses and cause confusion. McVay moves guys around a lot to manufacture potential playmaking.

This is an excellent, and wide open offense. It's similar to the GSOT in some ways, I'm not claiming the talent is the same it clearly isn't. But watch the amount of motion and how it creates things for the pass catchers. The theory is the same..........make it harder for the defense to figure out and increase the number of potential mistakes they make.

Goff averaged 8 YPA last year and I see that increasing a bit this year.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
Personally i think he was more of the last resort receiver. If Woods or Kupp were open, go to them, if not Watkins should be available further down the field. I dont think it had anything to do with not getting the system or coming in too late. He did great in the first series against the 9ners.

He also seemed to get a little frustrated half way through the season until him and McVay had a chat.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I think it was a combination of a few things;
He just never clicked with Goff for many various reasons.
Remember Goff was trying to MARKEDLY improve his game too so he was going to throw to the guys he felt most comfortable with, i.e. confident with.
Goff didn't get a whole camp with Watkins either and Watkins was kind of thrown into the mix late which I'm sure didn't help Goff's confidence level
either.
He did have confidence in the veteran Watkins goal-line presence though.

Remember Watkins was used to working with different quarterbacks.

Just a rough guesstimate based on Watkins prior statistics when he was healthy;
950+ yards and he probably would have picked up a couple extra touchdowns if he'd hit him along the sideline more often.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Any discussion of this without at least looking at Goff's role in Sammy's performance seems incomplete.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Any discussion of this without at least looking at Goff's role in Sammy's performance seems incomplete.

While true, yes... Woods and Kupp exceeded expectations.

So why didn’t Sammy?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Lack of desire, and, or knowledge of our playbook. From Sammy's own mouth, Jared Goff had to help him line up on a bunch of plays. He didn't pass the smell test for me. Several plays, Jared threw to him, and he wasn't even running, or looking. It's too bad, really.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
There’s a lot of fluff in this piece, if you ask me.

For openers, I’m not buying that Reid has a better O than McVay. Or a better playbook that creates more mismatches than McVay’s. C’mon...

Goff, Woods, Kupp, and Gurley certainly thrived in this McVay O, yet Watkins didn’t.

He should look in the damned mirror.

Like others have said, I wish him well, but I’m really glad that he was replaced here by Cooks.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I think it's both.
They just didn't click on a mental, timing or chemistry level.

It happens.

On to bigger and better things with Brandon Cook locked down for a few years.

It will be a very interesting subject to revisit during the season however.

If he does good it doesn't prove anything one way or the other, but if he does bad that would bolster the argument that he just wasn't giving 100% effort.

My prediction for Watkins is he'll be fine and we'll see plenty of highlights with him lighting up defenses this season.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
I'd like to thank Sammy for being the guy that helped break up the sad notion the Rams #1 receiver were somehow elusive
Draft prognostication-wise we had him as a Ram "dream target " when he was coming out of college - but selected someone else (forgot who)
So we finally have this redemption when we traded for Watkins but he proved to be a team player within a winning scheme
That didn't seem good enough for Watkins
So in comes Cooks
Hopefully he knows his role, and stats aside buys into the idea of team and becomes a Ram's legend like Bruce, Brown, Ellard,Holt!