Why did Tavon hardly play yesterday.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, they tried to get him involved and it was more of the same... tear off one decent run, offsetted by plays where he runs around in the backfield and loses yardage.

Gurley had a decent day when Austin wasn't really deployed much, so the argument that Gurley benefits so much from Austin as a decoy is losing steam, IMO.

To me, Austin's real value (on a scale of 1 - 10) is about a 3.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Well, they tried to get him involved and it was more of the same... tear off one decent run, offsetted by plays where he runs around in the backfield and loses yardage.

Gurley had a decent day when Austin wasn't really deployed much, so the argument that Gurley benefits so much from Austin as a decoy is losing steam, IMO.

To me, Austin's real value (on a scale of 1 - 10) is about a 3.
I think the Aint's were ready for Austin because, in our meeting last year, he went 4 of 4 Targets for 45 yards and a TD. JMHO ( But nothing worked with him!)

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just dont know what to make of Tavon.
I mean, for real, he isnt a McVay guy since he was already here. And he got the big contract before last season.
So McVay brings in some guys of his own, Dunbar and Davis and yet when Brown goes down, who fills in??
Mac sure sees something in him, he wouldnt be giving him the PT he gets if he didnt.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
I cringe every time TA gets the ball in his hands. I don't mind seeing him running phantom plays, but other then that damn. The boy doesn't know how to use that speed when he has the ball, and he goes down when someone sneezes on him.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think the Aint's were ready for Austin because, in our meeting last year, he went 4 of 4 Targets for 45 yards and a TD. JMHO ( But nothing worked with him!)
Yeah... the reality is.. he hasn't shone much of the explosiveness in weeks now.

Seems his role is getting smaller and smaller..

He just doesn't look like he fits much.

Not a knock on the guy... he came into the league as a returner and gadget guy.

The Returner role is gone and the gadget role is diminishing.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
firstly i dont hate Tavon ..seems a good guy...never in trouble works hard and seems well liked by his team mates

but he just doesn't fit .. i think Mcvay is trying to find a role for him while we have him and we are forcing the ball away from other proven player makers ..i really thought mcvay was holding out TA in the pre season as a trade was brewing but that was incorrect on my part

i think tavons season can be summed up like this .... Remember that celebration between three of the rams players (the ode to the bob n weave ) ,,well much like Tavons season he is nice to have around but he just doesnt fit in ..

Last edited:

Psycho_X

Legend
I just don't like the between tackle runs and his need to dance some times and lose yards. But man, has he even ran a route in a while? I'm sure he has but i swear he has 0 presence in the passing game this season. I thought they'd at least try and use him on screens or dump offs out of the backfield at least. But overall, it comes down to players outplaying him and that's fine with me. I think this game put me on the other side of the fence regarding shedding his contract in the offseason. Especially after seeing a couple of other players take the jet sweep motions lately and succeed.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
He's ok....plays well with others....against easy teams....
...and sometimes against a tractor after winning 8 in a row.
...but it wasn't on the road - there's your out.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
Tavon is literally the only player where when he's playing, we dont want him playing. And when he's not playing, we want him playing.

The only thing that makes sense to me is McVay doesn't have a specific role for him to claim. By plugging him in in different roles, he ends up taking other up and coming players reps who will more than likely be on the team longer than himself.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
Tavon is like the hot girl from hooters who looks pretty and every time you’re drunk you text her. But really in the end all we need is the girl next door who actually has a bit more substance.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd prefer Tavon to only get jet sweeps and outside runs.

But his problem is too much East/West. All of his best plays are when he turns up the field and goes North/South.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Tavon is like the hot girl from hooters who looks pretty and every time you’re drunk you text her. But really in the end all we need is the girl next door who actually has a bit more substance.

Only a fellow Celt would say that!

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Kupps sucks
Next week Kupp has huge game

Watkins is under used
Next week Watkins has huge game

Robert Quinn is done
Next week Quinn was huge

Reynolds needs to step up
Next week Reynolds steps up

Tavon has no position
Next week Tavon has no position

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I still think Tavon has a place in this O. I think people forget sometimes how the McVay O operates - we don't have a #1 guy, not even Woods, the ball is shared around, there's a lot of mis-direction and multi use, its a bit like a swiss-army knife, always be prepared because you never know what tool you're going to need. I trust McVay, I trust his Offensive vision, if he see's Tavon having a role in that, then I'm behind the guy 100%.

He brings a 'need to defend' to the playing field whenever he's on it.

If Tavon doesn't play, he gets called out, if he plays, he gets called out - what gives guys??

Ram65

Legend
TA had 5 rushes for 17 yards and 1 catch for -3 yards.
I found it interesting that he played 27 of 77 snaps for 35% of plays
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201711260ram.htm

What was going through McVay's mind when he kept running Tavon outside for no gain and why play him all those snaps?

I guess the obvious answer is he looking for a some nice gains where TA gets into the secondary.
He wanted to give Gurley a few breathers during the game and keep him fresh.
He wanted to get the Saints defense a little more tired by running to the outside. Run some more clock too.
The Saints still have to account for his speed so they have to set defense with that in mind.

I wish we knew what McVay was really thinking.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
Tavon plays like he believes he's superior to everyone athletically. Problem is he's not. The NFL is full of tremendous athletes right on par with Tavon and he is not going to high step his way around them.