Why can't we be like the 2011 Giants?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Statistically they were similar but close to us this year. With our fab four healthy though, I think we're on another level offensively.

Defensively, their pass rush was superior to ours which would be the main difference here - but we do have Aaron Donald.

They even beat the Niners on the road on the way to doing it....

So why not us?

tempests

Hall of Fame
I don't know, but I never respected them.

Remember those losers fake injury flopping when they played us.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Buzzkill. :cautious:

BTW @Kupped - one of my favorite avatars on this board.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Winning 4 in a row vs the best teams in the league is a lot for this roster. I wouldn't say it's impossible like I would have earlier this year, given how the offense has played. But at some point you run into a defense that stifles us and then what happens.

I will also admit I have visions of a deep run playing in my mind. That inner optimist bastard doing his thing. But I just don't think we have the pieces unless this defensive front beasts out or they improve plus the secondary flips a switch. These things are possible just unlikely.

tempests

Hall of Fame
Because the Rams don’t have that Dline.
With the lone exception of JPP, their defensive front wasn't even that good. They got passed and run on all year.

Eli Manning carried them through the regular season, then he found his inner Joe Montana to get them through the postseason. He and Pierre-Paul were the only above average things about those schmucks.

Worst regular season W/L record ever for a SB champ. No, I don't think it's a repeatable scenario.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
I cannot recall their special teams in NY back then as opposed to recalling Eli, their defensive front, etc... but I suspect they were not historically bad on special teams like L.A. is right now, and did not have a kicker so poor he was replaced in week 17 by a player the team had previously cut for performance issues. Special teams, and kickers in particular, matter. I am not saying the Rams cannot pull it off if all the stars align. But I'd say that is at least one huge difference between this roster and those NYG squads.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Winning 4 in a row vs the best teams in the league is a lot for this roster. I wouldn't say it's impossible like I would have earlier this year, given how the offense has played. But at some point you run into a defense that stifles us and then what happens.

I will also admit I have visions of a deep run playing in my mind. That inner optimist bastard doing his thing. But I just don't think we have the pieces unless this defensive front beasts out or they improve plus the secondary flips a switch. These things are possible just unlikely.

It's all house money.

But what I keep coming back to is:

what if the defense doesn't allow a TD right before half against the Niners and Eagles? I think in both cases the statistical likelihood was FG or bust, so those situations pop up again, odds are it wouldn't be a TD.

What if Kyren doesn't drop that wide open pass when we were driving in the second half against the Niners that ended up an INT?

What if Stafford hits Kyren in OT against the Ravens and its third and manageable, AND McVay calls timeout so we don't get the delay?

We possibly win all three of those games, and those are the teams we're talking about here.

I think I see this team pretty clearly - if I had to bet A LOT of money, I'd give us a 40% shot at winning in Detroit and a 5% shot at winning in Dallas. But teams have made surprising runs before.....so why not us? I'm already proud of this team no matter what happens.

RamFanWA

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
DavidG
I get the sentiment... be like NYG...
That said, having grown up in New England - want ZERO to do with any NY team or the Patriots.

But - maybe that is just me! :sur:

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Because the 2011 Giants didn't have 80% of their salary cap tied up in 3 players.

We are good, but we have a lot of holes in this team.

Good enough to win any game in the playoffs, but to win 4 in a row would be nothing short of a miracle.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
A lot of things have to fall right for whoever wins the SB, as we found out in '21. At this point every team out there seems vulnerable lately. I will say we have the ballinest QB going into the whole thing though.

Lunchbox

Starter
Name
LunchBox
A lot of things have to fall right for whoever wins the SB, as we found out in '21. At this point every team out there seems vulnerable lately. I will say we have the ballsiest QB going into the whole thing though.
FIFY.
Yea. Thinking we win or lose on a balanced offense and (hopefully) ability to limit big plays. The games we've lost turned on big plays by the opposition, offensive and defensive. We can go toe to toe with any team as long as we limit the big plays.

InfiniteRam

Rookie
It's all house money.

But what I keep coming back to is:

what if the defense doesn't allow a TD right before half against the Niners and Eagles? I think in both cases the statistical likelihood was FG or bust, so those situations pop up again, odds are it wouldn't be a TD.

What if Kyren doesn't drop that wide open pass when we were driving in the second half against the Niners that ended up an INT?

What if Stafford hits Kyren in OT against the Ravens and its third and manageable, AND McVay calls timeout so we don't get the delay?

We possibly win all three of those games, and those are the teams we're talking about here.

I think I see this team pretty clearly - if I had to bet A LOT of money, I'd give us a 40% shot at winning in Detroit and a 5% shot at winning in Dallas. But teams have made surprising runs before.....so why not us? I'm already proud of this team no matter what happens.
You think we would lose 19 out of 20 games at Dallas?

TexasRam

Legend
Rewatched the Rams Giants game.

If Not for controllable turnovers and kicker issues, we put up 40.

The offense is potent enough to clean house in the NFC.

But we need Stafford to put together another 2021 postseason.

The run defense is built for the postseason but we MUST get the safety play to shut down the deep
Pass.

Matchups and postseason injuries are going to play a role.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
With the lone exception of JPP, their defensive front wasn't even that good. They got passed and run on all year.

Eli Manning carried them through the regular season, then he found his inner Joe Montana to get them through the postseason. He and Pierre-Paul were the only above average things about those schmucks.

Worst regular season W/L record ever for a SB champ. No, I don't think it's a repeatable scenario.
Fair enough. I just remember the line going on a rampage in postseason.

And… I mean.. they had Osi as well.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jim Carrey Chance GIF

Rams8821

Pro Bowler
I get the sentiment... be like NYG...
That said, having grown up in New England - want ZERO to do with any NY team or the Patriots.

But - maybe that is just me! :sur:
Boston fans worst fan base ive ever seen. Im glad they are down right now Pats, Sawks, etc, lets keep it that way....

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Winning 4 in a row vs the best teams in the league is a lot for this roster.
It is a tall order but we do have an X factor on our side. I feel like the elite teams in the NFC are weaker than the past few years, mainly due to the QB play.

Purdy, Prescott, Goff, Geno, Mayfield etc.

We have Stafford. I think that matters quite a bit.

Ultimately i believe our defense and ST will fail us but it’s good to be back into the playoff mix so quickly.