Why are teams....

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramlife

Rookie
Name
Bill
so scared to get a first down to end the game. Especially when you’re an offensive team, i hate the conservative play. Let your balls hang out and stop pinning it on your D.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Conventional wisdom dictates if you believe in your Defense, you have them (the opponent) where you want them, up by 7, deep in their own end with less than two minutes and no timeouts

Problem is, this game is changing radically with the wussifacation calls vs an intimidating Defense, so yeah moving forward let you elite O seal the game

Ramlife

Rookie
Name
Bill
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
What a terrible roughing the passer call against the Bengals on that last drive.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
so scared to get a first down to end the game. Especially when you’re an offensive team, i hate the conservative play. Let your balls hang out and stop pinning it on your D.

It's not that they're scared to get a first down. If cinci kicks the easy FG it's a 2 score game. If they convert the 4th down they still have move the ball because it's a one score game.

But, if they fail on 4th down, the raiders are down by 7 and the momentum shifts to their favor.

As hard as it is, and the Chargers will tell you, especially against the raiders, take the fucking 3 and make it a 2 score game.

oldnotdead

Legend
Staley agrees so much his team is celebrating their off season and lack of playoff checks. Who needs them anyway right Brandon? Power is a dangerous thing and it warps one's sense of perspective. Just like teams that don't take the easy 3 points in the first quarter only to be still chasing those points in the 4th quarter.

McVay didn't simply pound Michel into the line to get a measly 18" and a first down. Even if he didn't score points he would have run the clock preventing the Niner's last possession. That is why you punt, kick FGs or run your power RB to gain 18" on 3rd down. Failure has a way of haunting you later in the game. Taking what is given can be just as aggressive as trying for something that isn't.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Staley agrees so much his team is celebrating their off season and lack of playoff checks. Who needs them anyway right Brandon? Power is a dangerous thing and it warps one's sense of perspective. Just like teams that don't take the easy 3 points in the first quarter only to be still chasing those points in the 4th quarter.

McVay didn't simply pound Michel into the line to get a measly 18" and a first down. Even if he didn't score points he would have run the clock preventing the Niner's last possession. That is why you punt, kick FGs or run your power RB to gain 18" on 3rd down. Failure has a way of haunting you later in the game. Taking what is given can be just as aggressive as trying for something that isn't.

If your talking about the 1st. Half your point is mute.The Ram ran clock & pinned 9ers back.The sack did change perspective though.
It gave them hope before half,to start the half, & to put the game into OT. Eventually winning it.
We can talk about the beginning of games more under Sean Mcvay.It’s like any Sports Talk, Imo there is a lot more info missed

Ellard80

Legend
all situations are not the same - there is a lot to take into account.

AppeasFBlGods

Rookie
Sean mcvay is literally the best coach in NFL history at protecting a lead. He's lost it just once. And everyone is watching that one time over and over and criticizing it while coaches around the league blow it on a weekly basis. This is like watching Steph curry miss 1 3 point attempt and criticizing his shooting form.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
If this is about the Rams drive I agree I would faked the handoff on 2nd down rolled out and threw a safe 6-8 harder. Why do teams value timeouts so much. Is there a massive difference between having 1 (if pass didn't work) vs none because the 9era still had to go the length of the field. Too much value is placed on timeouts at the end of the game.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
I honestly think McVay was not confident enough in Stafford not throwing a pick in that situation. I mean the dude is the leader in the NFL for throwing pick 6's. I guess he'd rather rely on the D then Stafford in that situation. I don't agree myself. ONE FIRST DOWN and we win. We can't get ONE first down with this talented team??

“Turbo set!”

Pro Bowler
I believe that trend will change with offenses at such an advantage. Teams will try to win games with the offense on the field.

Flint

Pro Bowler
If this is about the Rams drive I agree I would faked the handoff on 2nd down rolled out and threw a safe 6-8 harder. Why do teams value timeouts so much. Is there a massive difference between having 1 (if pass didn't work) vs none because the 9era still had to go the length of the field. Too much value is placed on timeouts at the end of the game.
The bengals did something I thought was pretty clever against the raiders, it was 3rd and 1 the bengals were trying to protect a lead, Burrow comes under center and the Raiders are thinking sneak. They tighten their splits to fill the A gaps, at the snap burrow turns and pitches to Chase who is coming from the slot and is now in the backfield, Chase has no problem beating everyone to the edge for a first down. I thought, what a great call in that situation, you get the ball to your best player without risking a batted pass or a sack and even if someone sniffs it out you like your chances one on one in the open field only needing a yard.

The Ramowl

Starter
If McVay calls a pass, that it's incomplete (not even talking about INT), gives 40 additional secs to SF and they use it to score the TD, this board goes ballistic because "McVay can't help himself".
Running it three times was the right call. Sometimes you make the right choice and still lose.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
If McVay calls a pass, that it's incomplete (not even talking about INT), gives 40 additional secs to SF and they use it to score the TD, this board goes ballistic because "McVay can't help himself".
Running it three times was the right call. Sometimes you make the right choice and still lose.
If he calls a run and they don't get the first the board goes ballistic. McVay doesn't care what the board does. But the board is mostly tired of him giving the ball back with too much time left. Its not like the defense is at full strength. It wasn't before the game and by the end they were without their top two safeties. Recipe for disaster. There are some safe throws. Quick out to the TE. Jet sweep is a save run. TE screen. Etc.....

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
The bengals did something I thought was pretty clever against the raiders, it was 3rd and 1 the bengals were trying to protect a lead, Burrow comes under center and the Raiders are thinking sneak. They tighten their splits to fill the A gaps, at the snap burrow turns and pitches to Chase who is coming from the slot and is now in the backfield, Chase has no problem beating everyone to the edge for a first down. I thought, what a great call in that situation, you get the ball to your best player without risking a batted pass or a sack and even if someone sniffs it out you like your chances one on one in the open field only needing a yard.
I am old enough to remember when McVay used to call unique and smart offensive plays that worked. I mean, he doesn't even call end arounds anymore. Called 1 last game, result? 15 yards and a 1st down. When pounding the ball directly into the middle of the line isn't working (and it clearly was NOT against the whiners), plays like end arounds or tosses seem to certainly be the counter to that. I'm just unsure why McVay gets set in his ways and isn't willing to adjust to the defense. Let's see OBJ on at least 1 end around tonight please. He can bust one, lets give him a chance.