Who’s the Most Likely Ram to Suffer a Sophomore Slump?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Who’s the most likely St. Louis Ram to suffer a sophomore slump?
By Ted Bryant

http://cover32.com/rams/2014/07/02/whos-the-most-likely-st-louis-ram-to-suffer-a-sophomore-slump/

It’s not a fun topic to discuss, but with the Rams heading into training camp expecting starting-caliber production from many of their soon-to-be second-year players, the effect of one or more of them hitting a sophomore slump stands to hit this team pretty hard.

It’s never pretty, but sophomore slumps are fairly common and sometimes even necessary in a player’s growth process.

Much-maligned Rams quarterback Sam Bradford suffered one of his own after a rookie season that saw him lead the team to within one win of a division title and earn the distinction of AP NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year. As a follow up, he’d struggle with nagging injuries and win just one game as a starter in 2011. Generally speaking, in order to have a sophomore slump, it means a player had a relatively successful first season before regressing on some level in the next. The Rams got a few solid contributions from their rookies last season, so they’ll have a few candidates for this unwelcome distinction in the season ahead.

Of the team’s seven 2013 draft picks, five look poised to inherit or re-inherit starting roles at their position after the class as a whole had a largely successful rookie campaign. The two that aren’t among the aforementioned group, fourth round offensive lineman Barrett Jones and fifth round defensive back Brandon McGee, have yet to carve out roles for themselves on the team and will face much lower expectations for production entering the 2014 season. For that reason, a slump on either’s behalf won’t so much affect the team’s performance as a whole, but will more likely affect their respective chances of being retained after the season.

The five remaining members of the 2013 draft class – wide receiver Tavon Austin, linebacker Alec Ogletree, safety T.J. McDonald, wide receiver Stedman Bailey, and running back Zac Stacy – all look to be key contributors in the Rams’ upcoming chase for the NFC West. Other than Stacy, each of them were taken within the first hundred picks of the draft and will be expected to take steps forward in their respective developments.

That implication of merely “taking steps” probably suits three of the remaining five players best. Austin and Bailey both showed flashes of their individual abilities in year one and will be asked to simply be more consistent threats headed into year two. I wrote a piece last week on what can be reasonably expected from Austin in his sophomore season, and expecting him to break out into the game changer he was drafted to be at this point probably isn’t fair.

While he did show the ability to do that (namely against the Bears and Colts late in the season), expecting him to have performances like that every week is unrealistic and the Rams showed that they can still grind out wins if Austin doesn’t show up. Any improvement on his rookie season will be very welcome, but a lack of improvement won’t break the team’s back in 2014. The same can be said for Bailey, who used a limited number of opportunities last season to flash a level of toughness and mere pass-catching ability that looked unique among the rest of the corps. He faces a four-game suspension to open the season, which could very easily put him behind in terms of both the depth chart and personal development. Regardless, when he does return to the lineup, he’ll be expected to be more of an every-down player than Austin and therefore a lack of production could drag down the offense.

McDonald will also be asked to “take steps” from a banged up, albeit promising, rookie season. He looks a lock at this point to open the season as the team’s starting strong safety and is the type of player that could thrive in new defensive coordinator Gregg Williams’ aggressive scheme. Given the Rams’ lack of depth in the secondary and specifically at safety, McDonald will have to stay healthy and become a solid performer if the team hopes to improve upon what was a lackluster effort against the pass in 2013. If he regresses in his development, the Rams’ secondary is in trouble.

The last two members of the 2013 draft class are the two whose stars shone brightest in their rookie years. Ogletree made more than a handful of big plays (to the tune of six forced fumbles) and was the first person not named Laurinaitis to lead the team in tackles since 2009. The Rams re-signed fellow outside linebacker Jo-Lonn Dunbar, but with the selection of defensive back Lamarcus Joyner in the second round of this year’s draft it won’t be a shock to see the Rams become a Nickel-heavy team. If that’s the case, Ogletree will be asked to both resume his playmaking ways while also improving on his tackling consistency and his contributions in coverage. Again, glancing at the team’s young, thing secondary, they can’t afford any dips in coverage contribution.

And then, finally, there’s Stacy. The seventh-rounder burst on to the scene in Week 5 and immediately established himself as a hard-nosed, reliable starting back in which the team could build its offense around. He was denied a 1,000-yard season after a stifling performance from the Seattle defense kept him in check in Week 17, but by then he’d already done enough to have the entire fan base excited about his future. However, heading into year two, Stacy is (for me) the likeliest to suffer the dreaded sophomore slump.

Like Bradford in 2011, he’ll enter the season with extravagant expectations as the team looks to resume its run-first identity, and I tend to think he’ll perform as well as he did last year. The big differences now, though, are the presence of rookie Tre Mason (a Stacy clone who will eat up carries) and the fact that he is no longer an unknown commodity. Teams will know that – barring Bradford’s performance – our offense is going to hinge on its ability to run the ball and that keying in on Stacy might not be the dumbest move.

Stacy will have the most eyes on him among his class mates, defenses looking to shut him down, and a new backfield member to take away carries from him. I’m not saying it will happen (it’s early and what do I know?), but for those reasons, Stacy looks the likeliest at this point to suffer the dreaded sophomore slump.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
I think Stacy, not because of his lack of performance or anything but because we drafted Tre and I see more carrys being split.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
...7th rounder? Stacy? Wut?

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
I hope none of them have a sophmore slump but If I had to pick one I would agree LARams that it will be stacy but it wont really be a sophmore slump I think he will play better just lose some carries to mason so it may be a slump on the stat sheet

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
5th rounder
From the OP: "And then, finally, there’s Stacy. The seventh-rounder burst on to the scene in Week 5 and immediately established himself as a hard-nosed, reliable starting back in which the team could build its offense around."

Thus my 'wut'

JRobinson

MiLB
I don't believe anyone will "slump". Why? Because no one other than Ogletree and Stacy made a "huge" impact.

Stacy will most likely maintain his stats due to Mason and Cunningham. The only reason he wouldn't would be due to injury. Anyone with good football IQ can tell that Stacy was indeed a steal in the 5th rd at this point. Anyone can tell the the guy has solid vision and a guy who hits the hole with authority. So with the obvious points at hand, why would he regress? Does anyone really believe that he is going to change his approach to the game? Simply, no.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
From the OP: "And then, finally, there’s Stacy. The seventh-rounder burst on to the scene in Week 5 and immediately established himself as a hard-nosed, reliable starting back in which the team could build its offense around."

Thus my 'wut'

Oh lmao! I didn't read the post, just answered the question. Mybad! :whistle:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I don't subscribe to the concept of a sophomore slump. Our players control their own destiny.

But if forced to pick; I'd say Bailey is off to a bad start with his suspension.

Last edited:

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't prescribe to the concept of a sophomore slump. Our players control their own destiny.

But if forced to pick; I'd say Bailey is off to a bad start with his suspension.

Of course, it took him half the season to get on the field last year, so missing only four games would be an improvement.

I think he shows enough in training camp that he'll get back on the field rapidly. If he doesn't get back on the field rapidly, it's because several other receivers have stepped up - which would be nice.

SierraRam

Recreational User
I don't believe anyone will "slump". Why? Because no one other than Ogletree and Stacy made a "huge" impact. QUOTE]

I thought TJ played for a rookie. He'll have a lot of responsibilty back there, and I'm sure he'll get tested early and often. I think he has the most potential for a slump, but with GW and our D-line, he should be fine.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Bailey didn't do himself any favors.
I was really counting on him to start this season where he left off last year. Making a contribution.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
Bailey with the suspension, who knows if the coaching staff even plan to let him compete for a starting spot. We all know how Fish feels about these things, Jo-Lonn playing in a reduced role for hurting the team last year.

Oldgeek

I'm old and can't wait another 20 years for a SB W
Name
Steve
If the other WRs struggle while Bailey is out, he'll get his chance again to be on the field.

Philly5

Rookie
Don't know about sophomore slump, but Bailey might have trouble getting on the field. At end of 2013 I was hoping for big things from him in 2014.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Don't know about sophomore slump, but Bailey might have trouble getting on the field. At end of 2013 I was hoping for big things from him in 2014.
I was too. It was supremely disappointing for Bailey to get that suspension. Both he and Austin seemed to have the light come on by the end of their respective seasons. I really thought they would help turn around our offense. With Bailey on suspension who knows if he will be able to come back to what we where hoping he'd be this year.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I don't think Bailey because he really came on late and although suspension does hurt, IMO, he comes back with a purpose. Stacy would be easy, but Stacy looks in excellent condition and seems ready for the challenge that Tre Mason is going to mount so who does that leave?

Well, barring injury I don't think the Rams suffer any sophomore slumps. Austin should be better, Alec Olgetree is a beast and I expect T.J. McDonald to have a much better year in 2014 so if I had to pick somebody I'm going with Darren Bates who I love, but maybe he gets beat out by a bigger linebacker like Philip Steward or Etienne Sabino, but I doubt it.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I don't think Bailey because he really came on late and although suspension does hurt, IMO, he comes back with a purpose. Stacy would be easy, but Stacy looks in excellent condition and seems ready for the challenge that Tre Mason is going to mount so who does that leave?

Well, barring injury I don't think the Rams suffer any sophomore slumps. Austin should be better, Alec Olgetree is a beast and I expect T.J. McDonald to have a much better year in 2014 so if I had to pick somebody I'm going with Darren Bates who I love, but maybe he gets beat out by a bigger linebacker like Philip Steward or Etienne Sabino, but I doubt it.

I'm in agreement with den here.

I just don't expect to see any so called sophomore slumps from these particular kids. Quite the contrary, actually.

RamWoodie

Legend
I wouldn't call it a "sophomore slump"...but we KNOW team will know to look out for Zac Stacy. What I'm saying is don't be surprised if Stacy gains less yardage than last year.

Fortunately an improved O-Line could off set that though.