Who's gonna pick the next HC?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Kevin Demoff is NOT a football person and should have zero say in football operations. I
I keep seeing this but why exactly is he not? He grew up around football as the son of a well placed agent. From my understanding, he pretty much lived and breathed football. He's now been in pro football for 15 years. At what point does he attain "football guy" status?

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I would disagree. Britt has been the best offensive player this year hands down. On most good offenses he is a number 2 WR. The line has played horrible. I don't think the WE/TE group is very good. Gurley is an elite talent, but hasn't produced. I like Goff's ability, but outside of one half against the Saints he hasn't shown much either.

I think Goff and Gurley are two building blocks, outside of those two I don't see much of anything on the offensive side of the ball. This offense has been historically bad. To me that means it's not just coaching, it's coaching and talent. Both need major improvements.
I totally agree that Snead needs to go, but I think they need some real expertise to even begin to seriously evaluate what talent needs to stay and go. And don't be surprised if; just like when Fisher took over, players that don't fit the overall scheme and game plan are phased out over time, which is one of the biggest reasons I cringe and a head coaching change.

Look at Washington, they absolutely got the worst of that trade for a quarterback that they don't even still have on their roster, yet they sure are a fun team to watch. Everyone knows that I'm not the kind of poster who focuses on the coaching and quarterback positions, but I think this all points back to Fisher, I'll start off with wondering at how Boras' run game deflated so much from one season to the next.

Going back to 2012, why else hire Shottenheimer to kick off his tenure as a head coach? They run with him for 3 years, and you can tell that Shottenheimer doesn't really have the talent to run the system he wants to run as they keep reverting to Fisher ball. Even the Tavon Austin pick, you can tell was a power struggle of sorts.

Then why, after Shottenheimer walks and they are desperate for improvement on the offensive side of the ball do they hire two rookie coordinators in a row? I think he just had control issues, and it was his ultimate undoing. I also think he was a bit arrogant, or maybe offensively desperate to have let so much go in the secondary and the defensive line without addressing those areas through the draft and free agency both.

I have no faith in the current group of wide receivers holistically, but just about every other position on the offensive side honestly could be quite a bit more talented than what we are seeing.

In fact, I for one am really interested in seeing how Boras calls the Seahawks game. Don't get me wrong, save some miraculous performance and resurrection of the offense over he next three games, I completely expect him to be long gone after this season.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I keep seeing this but why exactly is he not? He grew up around football as the son of a well placed agent. From my understanding, he pretty much lived and breathed football. He's now been in pro football for 15 years. At what point does he attain "football guy" status?

the job of an agent is about maximizing value for a client. It's not about maximizing talent for a team.

sometimes, those are aligned, but sometimes those are tangential and sometimes those are diametrically opposed. Point being that what an agent looks for is individual success and ability in order for the agent to be able to execute the consummation of a successful negotiation.

An agent, in one example is perfectly happy getting his QB $30M/per irrespective of if it cap straps the team and turns them into at best a middling team unable to compete. His job is to get the best contract for his client and when searching for a client, find the client that he thinks he can get the best contracts.

None of that has ANYTHING to do with building a successful franchise. I took to heart what Lombardi said about "we're only competing with 8 teams. That's true. A few rise and fall and occasionally one of those "perennial 8" will have a down year, but those franchises have a culture of winning because they've built a program and a football organization.

The Rams football organization is what? Kevin Demoff? I'm not disparaging him, I'm asking. He may actually be rather astute, but being the son of an agent is not a typical background for a "football guy".

The point is that successful franchises have "football people". It's not just one person, but a program, an department...an organization. I dunno what to call it..... A Syndicate...A Cabal... WE NEED A DRAFTING 'EL CHAPO'!!! The Ravens don't just have Ozzie Newsome, but he's got underlings he's training, some of whom have gone on to success with other franchises.

I dunno. Seems Demoff is gonna be the guy.

I just hope he doesn't just hit it out of the park, but hits one of those Mickey Mantle home runs that go so far that a kid in Brooklyn caught it...

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Snead will be promoted and will hire the next HC, who will report to and be held accountable by Snead.

The "organizational failure" came from putting the cart before the horse (i.e., having the GM report to the HC). Snead is now seasoned and ready to assume full control of the football operations. He learned on the job. To throw that institutional knowledge away and start over from scratch is INSANE.

IF THIS DOES NOT HAPPEN... then Stan the Man is going against his WORD to make our beloved Rams a stable, functioning organization.

Demoff remains the business man between Stan and Snead. Demoff is an excellent executive and an asset for the franchise. Especially given how many off the field things are going on, including building a $2 billion stadium. There are a lot of hands to shake and palms to grease.

The KEY to making this happen from a PR perspective is to leak that Fisher was responsible for the TA pick. Every other personnel move can be rationalized.

#prediction #daretodream

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
None of that has ANYTHING to do with building a successful franchise. I took to heart what Lombardi said about "we're only competing with 8 teams. That's true. A few rise and fall and occasionally one of those "perennial 8" will have a down year, but those franchises have a culture of winning because they've built a program and a football organization.

The Rams football organization is what? Kevin Demoff? I'm not disparaging him, I'm asking. He may actually be rather astute, but being the son of an agent is not a typical background for a "football guy".

The point is that successful franchises have "football people". It's not just one person, but a program, an department...an organization. I dunno what to call it..... A Syndicate...A Cabal... WE NEED A DRAFTING 'EL CHAPO'!!! The Ravens don't just have Ozzie Newsome, but he's got underlings he's training, some of whom have gone on to success with other franchises.
I would agree that being the son of an agent in itself does not a football guy make. But if I recall correctly - and I believe I do - KD spent his younger years debating issues relating to football and the players with his dad. From a young age, he would hang out around the sidelines and at practices and was known in the NFL as a football brat. When it was time for him to get a job, he gravitated toward what he knew.

None of that means he is the organization in and of itself or even that he is best suited for the job. But I don't think it says non-football guy either. What it says to me is that he has worked his ass off toward the goal of being a football guy. Granted it appears that it comes mostly from the business side. But every franchise needs that. You hope that the guy working for your team also knows football. You also hope that your KD knows what other football guys look like.

And I don't buy this 8 team mantra. If we are chasing the couple steadfast, year in and year out franchises, fine. But also chasing the latest flavor of the month because they are good NOW isn't going to get us anywhere. Looking at what a team does to have success is great. Modeling your team or chasing after the top 8 in the highly interchangeable NFL of today? Not so much.

Right now I see the patsies (that's just painful to say) and the Steelers as two teams I could see using as models. The rest of the league is pretty much models of inconsistency. Not sure following their lead is a good idea.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I would agree that being the son of an agent in itself does not a football guy make. But if I recall correctly - and I believe I do - KD spent his younger years debating issues relating to football and the players with his dad. From a young age, he would hang out around the sidelines and at practices and was known in the NFL as a football brat. When it was time for him to get a job, he gravitated toward what he knew.

None of that means he is the organization in and of itself or even that he is best suited for the job. But I don't think it says non-football guy either. What it says to me is that he has worked his ass off toward the goal of being a football guy. Granted it appears that it comes mostly from the business side. But every franchise needs that. You hope that the guy working for your team also knows football. You also hope that your KD knows what other football guys look like.

And I don't buy this 8 team mantra. If we are chasing the couple steadfast, year in and year out franchises, fine. But also chasing the latest flavor of the month because they are good NOW isn't going to get us anywhere. Looking at what a team does to have success is great. Modeling your team or chasing after the top 8 in the highly interchangeable NFL of today? Not so much.

Right now I see the patsies (that's just painful to say) and the Steelers as two teams I could see using as models. The rest of the league is pretty much models of inconsistency. Not sure following their lead is a good idea.

Well, since it looks like he's THE guy making the decision (we haven't heard about any "committee"), I'm sure hoping that if he's not a football guy, he becomes one.

I don't want any of this to be mistaken as antipathy against Demoff.

I just want this to work out is all.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Well, since it looks like he's THE guy making the decision (we haven't heard about any "committee"), I'm sure hoping that if he's not a football guy, he becomes one.

I don't want any of this to be mistaken as antipathy against Demoff.

I just want this to work out is all.

Nah - I get that.

I guess we'd have to know who all has KD's ear in order to know how he is making decisions and exactly what decisions. I don't. But I'm going to guess that he is not making the football decisions unilaterally. There are probably many football guys involved in some capacity.

But I do seriously question the idea that KD is not a "football guy". And I'd damned sure put his football IQ over that of the likes of anyone inside the Ziggy/Shaw show beyond maybe a couple people and even they got whacked so....

I realize most fans would like decisions made on a purely football level. But then we start talking about caps, contracts, pay as you go vs................. And even us fans start to realize that is not possible in today's NFL. We have to have a blend with the focus on the product on the field. Let's all hope that comes to fruition.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
If I understand the Charger angle (admittedly, haven't paid that much attention)... the Chargers wold be a tenant in the new stadium? Do I have that right?
Yes they would be the tenant .. .but if you let another team steal your fan base ... then you will lose $$$. Each team will control their own ticket sales and such plus the TV monies. It happened to the Rams when they were in L.A. last time and the Raiders came into town. The team that is winning more will draw the crowd and following

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
At the time Fisher took over, the team currently had these players in place who were going into their 5th year or less.

Offense:
Bradford
Amendola
Kendricks
Saffold

Defense:
Laurinaitis
Long
Quinn
Stewart

I didn't say the situation anything about the situation Spags inherited in '09. That situation was much, much, much less desirable. That team had to be gutted and was in cap hell to go along with Bulger being a shell of himself.

Additionally, don't forget Fisher chose the Rams over the Dolphins. Kroenke, in part, is a huge reason why, IMO, he did. Bud Adams was a meddling owner with football operations. Kroenke isn't. To go along with, Bradford was a main reason why he chose the Rams.

Having Goff, Gurley, and Donald in place to go along with having an owner who is hands off will make LA desirable, IMO. This team is more talented than either of the ones Spags or Fisher inherited.

And Fisher came in and turned over 75% of the roster. The team was bad. It lacked quality starters and had zero depth.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes they would be the tenant .. .but if you let another team steal your fan base ... then you will lose $$$. Each team will control their own ticket sales and such plus the TV monies. It happened to the Rams when they were in L.A. last time and the Raiders came into town. The team that is winning more will draw the crowd and following
I guess I'm thinking that the revenue from having a tenant will more than offset any drop in revenue from the Rams.
Instead of having the stadium vacant some Sundays, it'll be full every Sunday (full of fans buying merchandise, food, booze, etc.).

A big win for Kroneke, I think.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I guess I'm thinking that the revenue from having a tenant will more than offset any drop in revenue from the Rams.
Instead of having the stadium vacant some Sundays, it'll be full every Sunday (full of fans buying merchandise, food, booze, etc.).

I might be mistaken, but I believe any revenues from games would go direct to the "other" team, or NFL itself

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I might be mistaken, but I believe any revenues from games would go direct to the "other" team, or NFL itself
Yes, some of it... but the concessions and such? Doesn't that go to the owner of the facility?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes, some of it... but the concessions and such? Doesn't that go to the owner of the facility?
When the Jets were playing in Giants stadium, they kept their concessions and what not.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
TurfShowTimes Retweeted

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet · 3m3 minutes ago

Per @wyche89, #Rams GM Les Snead is helping search for coach Jeff Fisher’s replacement. Not guaranteed employment for 2017, though.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame

Not even close to what he would make if HIS team was the bigger draw and the TV money teams get is bigger than anything a stadium can draw in. If your team loses .. .your slice of the TV money goes down

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
TurfShowTimes Retweeted

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet · 3m3 minutes ago

Per @wyche89, #Rams GM Les Snead is helping search for coach Jeff Fisher’s replacement. Not guaranteed employment for 2017, though.

Just heard this on NFLN too.

Snead staying on, at least for time being.

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
I was wondering that...

We don't know if Les Snead will survive as GM, but at least he's a football person.

If he doesn't survive, what other football people are in the building? That's an honest question.

Kevin Demoff is NOT a football person and should have zero say in football operations. I think something about this was mentioned on Skip and Shannon, but I haven't gotten on Youtube, yet.

So, if Les Snead isn't part of the decision, who is going to be at the vanguard in selecting the next Rams HC?

Or are the Rams going to pick a GM first? or perhaps hire them in tandem? And if in tandem, how does that work? How would the evaluation of the HC candidates work in that case?

The logistics of this process evades me.

I'm the pattern guy and this process is already starting out to be...problematic. Not saying the end product will be bad. Hopefully, it will be fantastic.

That said, this process can't be done in the same way as Demoff does business development.

It's football. It just isn't the same.

Why we will. :cool: