Who's gonna pick the next HC?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I was wondering that...

We don't know if Les Snead will survive as GM, but at least he's a football person.

If he doesn't survive, what other football people are in the building? That's an honest question.

Kevin Demoff is NOT a football person and should have zero say in football operations. I think something about this was mentioned on Skip and Shannon, but I haven't gotten on Youtube, yet.

So, if Les Snead isn't part of the decision, who is going to be at the vanguard in selecting the next Rams HC?

Or are the Rams going to pick a GM first? or perhaps hire them in tandem? And if in tandem, how does that work? How would the evaluation of the HC candidates work in that case?

The logistics of this process evades me.

I'm the pattern guy and this process is already starting out to be...problematic. Not saying the end product will be bad. Hopefully, it will be fantastic.

That said, this process can't be done in the same way as Demoff does business development.

It's football. It just isn't the same.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Demoff hired the last two. In hindsight we can go ahead and ridicule that - but at the time, Spagnuolo and Fisher were two of the top coaching prospects on the scene. Spagnuolo having just punked the undefeated Patriots, and Fisher being the one veteran coach who's had experience rebuilding a Franchise. I wouldn't necessarily discount Demoff's football acumen. He's plenty smart. The question is, what is Kroenke's vision? Does he wanna go the youth route, or the experience route, or does he want to lure away a hot coordinator? It appears Stan is a bit more involved in the day-to-days than previously thought.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I just posted a response on the Herd to something similar and was going to start a new thread here with that......but since you asked this question I will just copy and paste it here.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Well there is the BIG question and I will go even deeper

Are Kroenke and Demoff capable of making a good decision on a HC?

Demoff, depending on how involved he was with the Fisher hire has maybe or maybe not done this once.

Some history on Kroenke is below. Feel free to check me though just in case, this dates to 2000 which I believe is when he took over the Avalanche and Nuggets. I'm assuming that the HC's departures were firings. For all I know one may have left for some other reason but I have heard nothing about that.

Kroenke has hired 6 HC's for his NHL team, and had 1 interim guy. He fired the guy who came with the team 1.5 seasons from buying it and winning a title that year. He had an interim guy for the last half of that year that became HC the next year and was fired. He hired another guy and fired him after 3 seasons. He then hired the guy that was the interim that he fired after one year. He then fired him again after one year. The next two hires went 4 years and 3 years and he has a guy who is in his 2nd year.

He's hired 5 HC's for his NBA team and had 4 interim guys, one of whom was George Karl who was the most successful coach the Nuggets have had and the longest tenured HC of any team Kroenke owns in his American portfolio at 8 years on the job. He's replaced HC's after 2.5 years twice, 1.5 years once and replaced the HC that came with the team when he bought it 1.5 years after becoming owner. The current guy is in his second season.

He's hired 1 for the Rams. Who knows how many guys who coaches the Rams he signed off on or was in favor of hiring. Let's give him the benefit of the doubt and say none. (for our sake as fans lets hope that was the case!!!)

Draw your own conclusions and feel free to add anything to this. Maybe if there are any Nuggets or Avs fans that can add insight as to what happened in these cases. I know we have one Avs fan that weighed in but I cannot recall who it was right now.

Towards that effort I will add this. He fired Karl because of the series of first round playoff departures even though in the middle of that string he did get to the Western Conference Finals only to lose to the Lakers. Karl, for those not familiar with the NBA or him, is a "builder" type of HC. He's the guy that gets hired when a team is struggling and you want to build it back up. Think of him as the Marty Schottenheimer of the NBA. Karl has been coaching since the mid 80's for 6 different teams.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
X I didn't know he hired Fisher and I thought Shaw was the final word on HC's back then when Spagnuolo was hired.

Help me out. Thanks.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
X I didn't know he hired Fisher and I thought Shaw was the final word on HC's back then when Spagnuolo was hired.

Help me out. Thanks.
Demoff was hired as VP of Football Operations in January of 2009, so he was tasked with getting the HC in place while simultaneously trying to flip them out of cap hell. The whole purge and laying of foundation was his doing. He got together with his Father (Marvin) about courting Fisher before he was even invited in to interview. Demoff wined and dined him a few times (I once made a video of the two rolling in Demoff's Mercedes with some Ice Cube background music) before he was invited to Stan's place to talk about whatever it is they spoke about. Then he was hired.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Who? Stan just called me and said he'd take whatever recommendation I provided.

He also swore me to secrecy!
:ROFLMAO:

Kidding aside, whoever make this decision, it's H-U-G-E!

Screw this one up and that stadium may become the largest paper weight in the history of mankind.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Who? Stan just called me and said he'd take whatever recommendation I provided.

He also swore me to secrecy!
:ROFLMAO:

Kidding aside, whoever make this decision, it's H-U-G-E!

Screw this one up and that stadium may become the largest paper weight in the history of mankind.

IMO if they get rid of Snead that hire is more important than the HC decision. Unless they foolishly give personal power to the HC.

I've never liked that plan.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
IMO if they get rid of Snead that hire is more important than the HC decision. Unless they foolishly give personal power to the HC.

I've never liked that plan.
I agree.

Unless you have a special person making most all the decisions (Parcells, Bellichick, etc.), it can really backfire (as we just found out).

I prefer a balance of power concept too.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think the first interview is going to "SET THE TONE"

It will say a LOT about who gets the first interview (that's a corporate thing. People pay attention to these things) and a LOT will be made about the interview, itself. If whomever gets that interview does well, it will say a lot about the direction.

Say they first interview Norv Turner. And word is they loved his presentation. That will say tons about where the decision makers envision the franchise going.

Say they first interview Josh McDaniel....or Kyle Shanahan...or David Shaw... each represents different visions for this franchise.

This process is going to be very interesting and quite revealing.

Lesson

Oh, really?
Demoff hired the last two. In hindsight we can go ahead and ridicule that - but at the time, Spagnuolo and Fisher were two of the top coaching prospects on the scene. Spagnuolo having just punked the undefeated Patriots, and Fisher being the one veteran coach who's had experience rebuilding a Franchise. I wouldn't necessarily discount Demoff's football acumen. He's plenty smart. The question is, what is Kroenke's vision? Does he wanna go the youth route, or the experience route, or does he want to lure away a hot coordinator? It appears Stan is a bit more involved in the day-to-days than previously thought.

Devaney was the one who made the decision to hire Spags.

After finding these articles, it had to be solely Devaney who made that call. Demoff was hired after Spags.

Spags was hired January 18th:
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/rams/2009-01-17-spagnuolo-hiring_N.htm

Demoff was hired January 30th:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...demoff-as-executive-vp-of-football-operations

Kroenke, IMO, is the one who made the decision to hire Fisher, not Demoff. Then, Fisher sought out an exec who he could co-exist with, thus leading to Snead being hired.

If I can recall, there was only a few candidates that were interviewed aside from Fisher. I know Ray Horton was one of them.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Devaney was the one who made the decision to hire Spags.

After finding these articles, it had to be solely Devaney who made that call. Demoff was hired after Spags.

Spags was hired January 18th:
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/rams/2009-01-17-spagnuolo-hiring_N.htm

Demoff was hired January 30th:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...demoff-as-executive-vp-of-football-operations
Hmm. Guess my memory isn't all it's cracked up to be. I thought for sure Demoff took the lead on that.

Lesson

Oh, really?
Hmm. Guess my memory isn't all it's cracked up to be. I thought for sure Demoff took the lead on that.

From what I can remember, Devaney was just tabbed as the full time GM in late '08. Rosenbloom would let him do the search on his own. And it ended up being announced that Spags was the hire while Jason Garrett was in St. Louis or some shit like that.

FRO

Legend
I think the Rams need to go hire a top notch president/GM. Have them hire the coach. Outside of the Vermiel/Army run the Rams have been brutal at assembling talent. Fisher and Snead were below average at least. My point is it doesn't matter what coach you get if the Rams can't find talented players. Fisher was a big name coach that a majority of us wanted. The problem goes deeper than just the coach.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame

^^^ THIS in a nutshell. They have to get this right or Stan is going to lose a TON of Jack. And with the Chargers making their return ... this could turn ugly for them if they don't make the right choice.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I think the Rams need to go hire a top notch president/GM. Have them hire the coach. Outside of the Vermiel/Army run the Rams have been brutal at assembling talent. Fisher and Snead were below average at least. My point is it doesn't matter what coach you get if the Rams can't find talented players. Fisher was a big name coach that a majority of us wanted. The problem goes deeper than just the coach.
I have heard that Bill Polian is interested in getting back into the NFL .... any thoughts?

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
I would keep Snead. He knows this roster and honestly I think the talent is already their. It just simply was not properly used or developed to it's potential.

FRO

Legend
I have heard that Bill Polian is interested in getting back into the NFL .... any thoughts?
His late years with the Colts weren't that great, but I would definitely be more interested with going with a top notch GM and let them pick their coach over a top notch coach picking their GM.

FRO

Legend
I would keep Snead. He knows this roster and honestly I think the talent is already their. It just simply was not properly used or developed to it's potential.
Do you believe there is offensive talent on the roster?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Demoff recommended Jeff Fisher and Demoff conducted the interviews as well the only person they interviewed back in 2012 was Ray Horton who at the time was the Cardinals Defensive Coordinator and ensured the Rams were in accordance with league policy of the Rooney Rule.

Now the Rams could hire a General Manager first and then let them hire the Head Coach, but IMO, they will come in a package like Nick Caserio & Josh McDaniels for example or they could put together a research committee, but most likely they will have a high profile person in mind and Kroenke & Demoff will be on the same page like they were back in 2012.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
Do you believe there is offensive talent on the roster?
It needs help but I do think there is some talent. Mainly the OL needs help. Fix that and I think everyone else looks much better than they have.