Who's Best? 1999 Rams Oline vs 2017 Rams Oline

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Let's RUMBLE.....................................

1999 Rams 2017 Rams

LT Orlando Pace 16 games LT Andrew Whitworth 9 games

LG Tom Nutten 14 games LG Rodger Saffold 9 games

C Mike Gruttadaria 16 games C John Sullivan 9 games

RG Adam Timmerman 16 games RG Jamon Brown 9 games

RT Fred Miller 16 games RT Rob Havenstein 9 games

LT Position

The battle between Pace vs Whitworth is brief, because Pace is a HOFer. Pace has 7 Pro Bowls vs Whitworth’s 3 Pro Bowls. Pace also had 3 All Pro awards. However, Whitworth has now started more games than Orlando Pace…think how impressive that is? I would be blown away if Whitworth didn’t make another Pro Bowl trip this year, AND he may match Pace in Super Bowl wins after this year! If I was asked to choose between Whitworth and Pace at the end of their careers, you’d have to pick Whit.

Edge Pace

LG Position

The battle between Tom Nutten and Rodger Saffold is more subjective, as neither has traditional honors, aside for Saffold (2010 NFL All Rookie Team). I like how Saffold is playing this year, just rag dolling folks.

Edge Saffold

Center Position

The battle between Mike Gruttadaria and John Sullivan is short, with Sullivan being better. Sullivan was named on two different organizations All Pro First Team in 2012. He has been critical in helping Goff making calls/changes during games.

Edge Sullivan

RG Position

The battle between Adam Timmerman and Jamon Brown is short. I like what the new guy is doing, but he can’t compare to the career of Timmerman, who played for two different Super Bowl teams. In 2001 Timmerman was named 2nd Team All Pro and made the Pro Bowl.

Edge Timmerman

RT Position

The battle between Fred Miller and Rob Havenstein is a close one. Miller had a long career with the Rams, Titans, and Bears. He won a Super Bowl with the Rams, but then Havenstein might be part of such a team this year. No personal honors for miller, yet Havenstein was named to the 2015 All-Rookie team. Maybe you guys think differently, but I give the edge to Big Rob.

Edge Havenstein

Well, I have the 2017 Rams Oline beating the 1999 Rams Oline by a nose after 9 games in the 2017 season. One thing the 1999 version has going for it is that they helped to win our only Super Bowl. The 2017 version is working together as one unit, propelling this team into the play offs after MANY years (even more than the 1999 Rams endured) of futility. I didn't consider longevity as a deciding factor.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I would give the edge to the 2001 Rams OL over both. Pace LT, Nutten LG, McCollum C, Timmerman RG, Ryan Tucker RT.

Been way too long since the Rams had an above average OL, suffering through the likes of Adam Goldberg, Greg Bell Alex Barron, Jason Brown, Scott Wells, Jason Smith and a turnstile of bad draft picks and worse FA's.

Current OL is getting better by every game.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
I would go with the 2017 line:
Running is 40% of the game and the 2017 is superior to the 1999-2001 lines.
Pass blocking is probably about the same.

Nutten was a tough, tough man but the Rams couldn't run behind his 280 pounds when the other 'knew' the run was coming. THe Rams had to run draws if they were ogoing up the gut. McCollom/Gruddardia and Nutten (yes, even Adam T) couldn't get it done up the gut. 1999 playoffs is a perfect example.

Joseph of the Vikings would dominate those guys like ragdolls---and he migh dominat alittle this weekend, but he can't toss 330 pounds of Brown/ Saffold very easily. Sullivan is a tough, strong guy----and McCollum and Grud didn't have that.

Pace is better than Whitworth play to play--Whitworth shows wear and tear (or fatigue) and lack of bend sometimes....and Miller and Hav are about the same.

STLRam

UDFA
I was 7 in 1999 and the Rams haven’t fielded an O-Line since I’ve been an adult until this year, so I have no say in this discussion :rolllaugh:

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Idk I don’t think you can really compare because back then the Rams was running a radical scheme that changed he game and put a lot of stress on the oline to pass block and as far as Faulk running he was always better on the edge run/stretches and draw plays he wasnt really a downhill power through the trenches runner.

So I would take 99 offensive line in today’s nfl they would be more dominant and can’t argue with a super bowl title

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I think it's a great idea to re-post this question at the end of this season.

TexasRam

Legend
I would go with the 2017 line:
Running is 40% of the game and the 2017 is superior to the 1999-2001 lines.
Pass blocking is probably about the same.

Nutten was a tough, tough man but the Rams couldn't run behind his 280 pounds when the other 'knew' the run was coming. THe Rams had to run draws if they were ogoing up the gut. McCollom/Gruddardia and Nutten (yes, even Adam T) couldn't get it done up the gut. 1999 playoffs is a perfect example.

Joseph of the Vikings would dominate those guys like ragdolls---and he migh dominat alittle this weekend, but he can't toss 330 pounds of Brown/ Saffold very easily. Sullivan is a tough, strong guy----and McCollum and Grud didn't have that.

Pace is better than Whitworth play to play--Whitworth shows wear and tear (or fatigue) and lack of bend sometimes....and Miller and Hav are about the same.

I'd say I agree with you on all points. The 2017 guards are more powerful and just a little less of technicians but as good as Gruddadaria was that one year for us Sully is stronger and overall better. So the 2017 interior is better. Whitworth and Pace are Elite pass blockers, but Pace with his pancakes was also an Elite Run blocker. Not that I am complaining about Whitworth who has been a Godsend. Now Havenstein can really get out and block in the run game most of the time almost at that Pro Bowl level if not for a little inconsistency now and then. Miller probably a tab more consistent in pass blocking. It's so close but I've got the 2017 Rams Oline.

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
Idk I don’t think you can really compare because back then the Rams was running a radical scheme that changed he game and put a lot of stress on the oline to pass block and as far as Faulk running he was always better on the edge run/stretches and draw plays he wasnt really a downhill power through the trenches runner.

Agreed. That '99 offense was kinda like a playbook stolen from an alien civilization.

One glaring difference I'd have to point out between then and now would be: the run game with Gurley is more dependent on the O-Line doing its job, where Marshall had more ability to make something out of a blown assignment or poor blocking up front.

What I WILL say about this current O-Line: it's amazing how big of an improvement they've made by only swapping out 2 starters (and plugging in a coach who actually teaches technique). I know a lot of us were concerned about Brown and Havenstein, heading into the season; those guys have exceeded expectations, for sure.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well the 2017 version gave up zero sacks in post season so they must be better right?