Who won this time? Richardson or Smith?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
I kept hearing before yesterday how bad Smith played against Indi last week because he gave up a sack where a guy was clearly offside. Honestly though, besides that it was evident (if only slightly) that Richardson was the better player at this point. If anything his run blocking was good and simply because he looked more comfortable in the scheme. Pass blocking was still a concern.

This week however, Richardson continued to show good run blocking, but was pretty damn bad in pass blocking. Seriously. Adam Goldberg bad at times. You would never know it because on all the plays Sam either got rid of the ball very fast, or he had good enough blocking elsewhere to where his pocket presence could take him away from trouble to make the throw. One play he got pushed on his ass by a bull rush so fast I seriously winced praying the outcome would not be the last time our QB ever played football.

I thought Smith on the other hand played great. A solid performance on the run and pass each. Keep in mind that he played against the 1s for a while there too.

Still, I know none of this really means shit lol. I'll trust the Rams opinion on this either way in the end. In fact, I think it's kind of a good problem to have. Especially if you consider the circumstance we've been in with the line in years past.

Oh and another thing. Moose CANNOT play tackle on the left side if Saffold goes down in a real game. Kids not bad at guard, but please, no tackle.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
I call it even from my seat in the dome.
On tape not sure, didn't like Richardson getting knocked off his feet but other than that yeah even.
Both I thought played better. The Chefs were as plain Jane as it gets though.
Games 3&4 will be a better test.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Both played better, IMO. I thought being on the first team and not only keeping Sam clean, but opening holes for SJ, that Richardson got the nod from me.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
If Richardson is the starting RT in Detroit, man, will that hurt J. Smith's chances of finding another team former no. 2 overall pick replaced by worst OT of 2011. :sick:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Barrison6 said:
If Richardson is the starting RT in Detroit, man, will that hurt J. Smith's chances of finding another team former no. 2 overall pick replaced by worst OT of 2011. :sick:
Yes, but Richardson got what Smith may need...a fresh start.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Richardson coming here, along with the new regime might be the best thing for Smith honestly. He finally has real competition and the people in power don't really care if he succeeds or not. They just want the best 5 on the field blocking.

We'll see what happens moving forward. As of yesterday he seemed like a pretty damn good 2nd tackle though. Then again, it not like consistency hasn't been one of his main problems.

Anonymous

Barrison6 said:

I dunno. Smith is having trouble adjusting to new technique and making his game consistent, yeah? Well they're not going to cut him. They need a 2nd OT, right? And it could just be that he learns slowly. So sometime during the season, or next year if they keep him, the light could come on, and he's the starter again.

Either way, if he gets cut next year, he gets picked up in a tackle hungry league.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I gotta feelin Smith is gonna make the team.

He's obviously not gonna go on the left, but IDK what would happen if Richardson went down. Dahl kicks out, someone new @ RG. IDK, too many moving parts. If Richardson/Smith went down the backup goes in. It's simple.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
zn said:
Barrison6 said:

I dunno. Smith is having trouble adjusting to new technique and making his game consistent, yeah? Well they're not going to cut him. They need a 2nd OT, right? And it could just be that he learns slowly. So sometime during the season, or next year if they keep him, the light could come on, and he's the starter again.

Either way, if he gets cut next year, he gets picked up in a tackle hungry league.
That's true. And he hasn't had a whole lotta time to get up to speed yet; especially when you consider how raw he was coming into the league. Hopefully this fire that got lit under his ass continues to burn, cuz we could use a good swing tackle.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
X said:
zn said:
Barrison6 said:

That's true. And he hasn't had a whole lotta time to get up to speed yet; especially when you consider how raw he was coming into the league. Hopefully this fire that got lit under his ass continues to burn, cuz we could use a good swing tackle.
I just don't see why we would keep Smith if Richardson outplays him and we can get his replacement in next years draft. I mean how long can you be in the Not For Long league before you get it? I want him to shut me up and win his starting spot back but getting replaced by a 6th rd draft pick... :what:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Barrison6 said:
X said:
zn said:
Barrison6 said:

I just don't see why we would keep Smith if Richardson outplays him and we can get his replacement in next years draft. I mean how long can you be in the Not For Long league before you get it? I want him to shut me up and win his starting spot back but getting replaced by a 6th rd draft pick... :what:
... and that's true too.

But here's the thing. While I think a player of his draft status (who possesses the measurables he has) should already have showcased his benefit to the team, he's also another Rams player who went through not only all the team's perils, but also his own. Like Bradford. You get those chowderheads on the net who want to close the book on Bradford already, but don't give any weight to the fact that he's only had 26 starts, 3 systems, and one really bad injury filled, non-offseason year.

"A #1 overall should be able to do more than just ... blah blah blibbidy blah."

Well, Smith too only has 26 starts, 3 systems, and one injury-filled non-offseason year. Not to mention 2009 where he kept getting injured throughout the year as well. So while I agree he should be dominating by now, I also have to try to figure out why he isn't. He's either a bust and will never realize his potential, or he really hasn't been under the most ripe conditions to cultivate his talents.

This isn't Orlando Pace who had 4 years at Ohio State. Smith was a TE who switched to RT before becoming a LT while operating out of a 2-point in Baylor's spread offense. And still was a really highly regarded prospect coming into the league. Albeit a very raw project at the same time. Should he be able to beat out Richardson by now? Probably. Richardson only has 4 years in the league, but all in the same offense. It's iffy to me. It's not encouraging at all that he's #2 on the depth chart, and if he doesn't respond to this fire lit under his ass, he probably won't be around next year. I was only saying I hope that it has the desired effect, because we could surely use him if it does.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
X said:
Barrison6 said:
X said:
zn said:

... and that's true too.

But here's the thing. While I think a player of his draft status (who possesses the measurables he has) should already have showcased his benefit to the team, he's also another Rams player who went through not only all the team's perils, but also his own. Like Bradford. You get those chowderheads on the net who want to close the book on Bradford already, but don't give any weight to the fact that he's only had 26 starts, 3 systems, and one really bad injury filled, non-offseason year.

Well, Smith too only has 26 starts, 3 systems, and one injury-filled non-offseason year. Not to mention 2009 where he kept getting injured throughout the year as well. So while I agree he should be dominating by now, I also have to try to figure out why he isn't. He's either a bust and will never realize his potential, or he really hasn't been under the most ripe conditions to cultivate his talents.

This isn't Orlando Pace who had 4 years at Ohio State. Smith was a TE who switched to RT before becoming a LT while operating out of a 2-point in Baylor's spread offense. And still was a really highly regarded prospect coming into the league. Albeit a very raw project at the same time. Should he be able to beat out Richardson by now? Probably. Richardson only has 4 years in the league, but all in the same offense. It's iffy to me. It's not encouraging at all that he's #2 on the depth chart, and if he doesn't respond to this fire lit under his ass, he probably won't be around next year. I was only saying I hope that it has the desired effect, because we could surely use him if it does.
On the same page as you X. I think it ultimately comes down to a numbers game. Because, Smith has yet to show any type of versatility, do we have the luxury of a extra spot to keep a back up RT?

Smith may, arguably, still be our most physically gifted lineman. His lack of technique has killed him.

IMO if the coaching staff thinks he is still adjusting to the NFL game, the injurys/new systems have severely retarded his growth, and he can still learn fix his technique flaws, he stays. If they think he lacks the mental and physical capacity to tweak his technique, he's gone.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
libertadrocks said:
X said:
Barrison6 said:
X said:
zn said:

... and that's true too.

On the same page as you X. I think it ultimately comes down to a numbers game. Because, Smith has yet to show any type of versatility, do we have the luxury of a extra spot to keep a back up RT?

Smith may, arguably, still be our most physically gifted lineman. His lack of technique has killed him.

IMO if the coaching staff thinks he is still adjusting to the NFL game, the injurys/new systems have severely retarded his growth, and he can still learn fix his technique flaws, he stays. If they think he lacks the mental and physical capacity to tweak his technique, he's gone.
I think this is the point. The Rams haven't to this point exercised versatility with Smith, not even at the tackle position. If they are thinking of him as a backup, why not play him at LT with the threes at least. We really don't have anyone over there besides Saffold. The Rams have also made no attempt to increase his versatility at guard. No way he makes the team as second best RT only. No way. If he does, it is a dumb move by the staff.