Who will fill WR3 role for Los Angeles Rams, quarterback Matthew Stafford?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Who will fill WR3 role for Los Angeles Rams, quarterback Matthew Stafford?​

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- Los Angeles Rams receiver Robert Woods flashed a big smile when he realized the question being asked of him during an offseason program videoconference with reporters.

If Woods runs a route and is open but doesn't get the ball from Matthew Stafford, will he return to the huddle and let his quarterback know to look for him next time?

"Of course," said Woods, chuckling. "I always let the quarterback know I was open. You got to stay in his ear and be a reminder."

In his 13th NFL season but first in L.A., Stafford is likely to have no shortage of playmakers chirping at him when the season opens on Sept. 13 against the Chicago Bears on Sunday Night Football. The Rams return receivers Woods, Cooper Kupp and second-year pro Van Jefferson. Over a two-month span during the offseason, they also signed veteran DeSean Jackson to a one-year, $4.5 million free agent contract. then selected Louisville's Tutu Atwell in the second round of the NFL draft.

Stafford also will have tight end Tyler Higbee and running back Cam Akers at his disposal.

"The best thing I can tell you is that's not my decision," Jackson said, laughing, when asked if there were enough footballs to go around. "I leave that for Sean McVay and for Matthew Stafford."

Woods earned a four-year extension worth up to $68 million and Kupp a three-year extension worth up to $48 million before last season. After four seasons playing under Rams coach Sean McVay, both are firmly established in the offense and anticipated to resume familiar roles this season.

Less established is the third receiver spot, filled last season by Josh Reynolds, who departed for the Tennessee Titans in free agency.

Rams general manager Les Snead and McVay hardly kept it a secret they would pursuit a playmaker this offseason -- one with the speed and ability to stretch a defense -- something they lacked amid last season's 10-6 finish. But it came as somewhat of a surprise that they snagged Jackson and then Atwell with their first draft pick, especially after Jefferson -- a second-round pick in 2020 -- demonstrated potential in his rookie season.

"In some ways it's a luxury," Kupp said. "You've got such a deep group of guys and really the next best thing about it is that guys aren't just locked in on one position, guys want to learn the entire offense, so you've got five guys that can play every position that you ask them to."

Jackson has a history with McVay, who served as his offensive coordinator for three seasons in Washington. The 14-year pro spent the past two seasons slowed and sidelined because of injuries but expressed confidence in his ability to remain healthy in his return to his hometown.

"It's definitely going to be a scary group for defenses and defenders cause Sean McVay, one thing about it, he's going to figure out how to get you open," said Jackson, who ranks sixth all-time in the NFL with 17.4 yards per reception. "So we just look forward to having a lot of fun doing it."

After he was selected 57th overall last year, Jefferson quickly established a reputation as a mature individual and polished route runner. He flashed during training camp but saw limited opportunities during the regular season.

When asked about his comfort with the offense going into Year 2, Jefferson admitted he wasn't as settled as he appeared his rookie season.

"If I had to be honest, last year I was a rookie coming in I was kind of -- my head spinning and stuff like that," said Jefferson, who caught 19 passes for 220 yards and a touchdown. "But I think I'm more comfortable now."

McVay called Jefferson a "major bright spot" this offseason.

"He's really put the work in," McVay said. "He's come back establishing himself as a legitimate dude, a guy that we're counting on for big things and I think the future is so bright."

When asked about the Rams adding two more receivers this offseason, Jefferson said he had to be comfortable with the decision.

"You just take it one day at a time," Jefferson said. "You know, not pay attention to that and just go out there and just complete and work every day and everything else will take care of itself."

Woods said Atwell played with swagger during the offseason program and demonstrated his quickness and ability to get downfield fast.

"He plays with a ton of heart and speed," Woods said.

However, with Jefferson's progress and if Jackson remains healthy, Atwell could be facing an uphill battle for playing time.

McVay has compared Atwell's skillset to Jackson, and although the Rams invested a second-round pick in Atwell, repetitions with Stafford behind Woods, Kupp, Jackson, Jefferson might be limited for the rookie, who is expected to return punts on special teams.

"Right now just getting my feet wet," Atwell said during organized team activities. "Just pretty much studying games and just watching [veteran players] and asking them questions and how to do this and how to do that."

Woods said the chemistry is growing on and off the field and each receiver brings a unique talent and ability.

"All these players do different things and what they bring to our offense is going to be a really great combination giving you all around the field, down field, fly sweeps, intermediate screens," Woods said. "I think everybody can contribute in every single way."

Stafford kept it simple when asked how his numerous playmakers can earn targets.

"For me," Stafford said, "I think just be assignment sound, get open and catch the ball."

Psycho_X

Legend
With DJs age and health issues recently and Atwell being a rookie my opinion is both of them will be used in specific packages with slightly limited plays most of the season barring injuries. McVay will sprinkle in the deep threat with DJ to keep defenses honest and Atwell I expect to be McVay's new toy how he used Tavon Austin in 2017. With Jefferson being the closest thing to WR3 on our team. In that he'll be on the field for more plays than DJ or Atwell individually. In other words, there won't be a true WR3 in my mind. My guess is about 50/35/15 as the percent split of plays per game for VJ/DJ/Atwell.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
If we want more a traditional 3 receiver set, Jefferson makes the most sense. But the threat of stretching the defense is enticing. How much will they use DJ and Tutu? I don't know. Probably depends on DJ's health and Tutu's progress.

Tano

Legend
I see Tutu coming in from time to time to keep defenses honest with a threat of a jet sweep.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think VJ will be the third. DJ and Atwell in for 4 sets or occasional play calls.

If the Rams used their first selection in the draft just for Jet Sweeps, that’s very disappointing. @Tano I hope you’re right and he’s used to keep defenses honest but he’s still active in the passing game. I’ll love it.

Tano

Legend
I think VJ will be the third. DJ and Atwell in for 4 sets or occasional play calls.

If the Rams used their first selection in the draft just for Jet Sweeps, that’s very disappointing. @Tano I hope you’re right and he’s used to keep defenses honest but he’s still active in the passing game. I’ll love it.
I think his first year will be learning the ways of a speedy receiver from Jackson.

Maybe towards the end of the year he will be used more frequently.

Reddog99

Pro Bowler
I don't expect much from Atwell unless Jackson goes down. We're all in trying to win the superbowl and Atwell is there learning so he can come off the bench and we'll still have the deep threat in case Jackson gets hurt. I think that's why we drafted him. Next year he should take Jackson's role.

Jefferson should get more opportunities this year but I think he's there in case Kupp/Woods gets hurt.

Now instead of being exposed when we lose a WR to injury we might notice a bit of a drop off but we have guys that that can come in and the offense shouldn't suffer much at all.

Kupp and Gurley getting hurt late in 2018 really hurt us for the remainder of that season/playoffs/SB. The offense just wasn't the same. Thank goodness for the D finally getting it together.

So I think McSnead and company are just crossing their T's and dotting their I's for the superbowl push this time around. JMO.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
With injury possibilities with Kupp and DJ, Jefferson should be 1st off the bench.
I hope Atwell is ready, because we may need him at times this season as well.

Tano

Legend
Kupp and Gurley getting hurt late in 2018 really hurt us for the remainder of that season/playoffs/SB. The offense just wasn't the same. Thank goodness for the D finally getting it together.
Suh actually decided to play game 15 and on.

Before that - he was just a guy

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
This is a big year for VJ. He was already in the #4 slot. I think he’s gonna start that way again with DJ being tapped for the #3 spot. By the end of the season VJ should be getting more snaps, otherwise he risks losing out to either Atwell or yet another draft pick the following year.

Though not necessarily a board favorite, reynolds was solid in the 4th slot and good enough to hold the #3 ahead of VJ. This is the spot VJ is in vs DJ.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I think we are set sweet.

WR1-WR3; Woods, Kupp, Jackson
Situational; Atwell
Gives breaks & primary backup; Jefferson

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If Jefferson doesn't win that WR3 spot it's going to be a disappointment to me. As talented as Jackson is he is a specialty type WR at this point in his career. I'd rather have him as a WR4 in the rotation where he can rotate in and threaten things deep than taking the lion's share of snaps and inevitably getting hurt during the season.

Van was a round 2 investment. This is his second year. It's time for him to win a job IMO. No reason why he shouldn't be able to do that with his advantages of having last year in this offense as well as him showing some good play down the stretch and into the playoffs. McVay said he's done the work which I take to mean he is playing fast without thinking this year. So he'd better win that shit IMO.

oldnotdead

Legend
You have to be careful when you talk about 1,2, and 3 WR roles. That is exactly what this is, it's about roles. Jefferson is the only WR who can play all 3 WR positions. Kupp is a Y and Z receiver as he takes advantage of that separation between himself and the DB. Woods is best as a Z WR and so it's why we rarely if ever see him play anything but. The Y position is wide open for Kupp, Jefferson, Jackson, Tutu and Harris to rotate. But who the other two would be in any given 11 personnel package can be open to rotation.

Case in point, if McVay wants a speed package he can play Jefferson at Z, Tutu at Y, and Jackson at Z. That gives McVay two guys who time about 4.4 and one at 4.3. Or he can use that same package but sub Harris at Z and Funk at RB. That gives McVay 3 guys who run a 4.3 on the field at the same time. Harris can simply run a stutter step and go along the sideline and Tutu a slant and Jefferson an out (3 route). The receiving dynamic on the Rams IMO isn't like other teams. Seattle has a clear hierarchy DK #1, Lockett#2. But this year I think that type of receiving hierarchy is gone. There now are too many playmakers at WR to simply play that way. If there is no featured WR but multiple who can simply kill your secondary that's a very good thing to have.

With Stafford, the ball will go to the guy who is open. Yeah, he will have a progression but Stafford by his reading the defense will know who is the most likely to be his target pre-snap regardless of how the progression is designed to go. All great QBs are that way and IMO Stafford is among the most underrated QBs in the NFL. To put up the type of numbers he has on the type of team he played on takes greatness. Matt is an elite talent and now the rest of the NFL and all the talking heads will see it.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If Jefferson doesn't win that WR3 spot it's going to be a disappointment to me. As talented as Jackson is he is a specialty type WR at this point in his career. I'd rather have him as a WR4 in the rotation where he can rotate in and threaten things deep than taking the lion's share of snaps and inevitably getting hurt during the season.

Van was a round 2 investment. This is his second year. It's time for him to win a job IMO. No reason why he shouldn't be able to do that with his advantages of having last year in this offense as well as him showing some good play down the stretch and into the playoffs. McVay said he's done the work which I take to mean he is playing fast without thinking this year. So he'd better win that shit IMO.

I don't think so man. Jackson isn't going to beat anybody deep if they just send him in when they want him to run deep. He needs to be in there running shorter routes to make the cb respect the short pass. That's when he can may them pay deep.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I don't think so man. Jackson isn't going to beat anybody deep if they just send him in when they want him to run deep. He needs to be in there running shorter routes to make the cb respect the short pass. That's when he can may them pay deep.

Of course it wouldn't work to only have him running deep routes. He is a deep threat just walking on the field. Safeties are gonna key and be aware of him.

A second round pick in year 2 should beat out an older player who also happens to be an injury risk. His best usage is going to be limited snaps IMO and if he wins a more primary role his chances of missing time again go up.

So this is why I think it is important for Van to step up. Really hope he can be a big part of things this year.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame

Jefferson is the #3 and I don't think there is even a competition.
I think the plan all along has been what you described, with the whole thing being fluid.
Very fluid with situations and matchups being the deciding factors.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Jefferson is the #3 and I don't think there is even a competition.
I think the plan all along has been what you described, with the whole thing being fluid.
Very fluid with situations and matchups being the deciding factors.
Even if there is a ranking of WR 3 I doubt it will mean very much. I see Jefferson rotating with Kupp and Woods, stepping in if one of them is hurt, and playing on possession downs.

McVay spent last year steaming on the sidelines because the offense couldn't create explosive passing plays. Now, McVay's #1 play calling priority will likely be to use the new speed players to do so. Not on every play of course, you have to take what's given, and Kupp and Woods will still get the most targets--- but McVay will look for explosives as often as he can.

Regardless of ranking, Jackson will get significant snaps. Atwell and Harris will get chances too. As noted, these will not be limited to "deep" routes except maybe more so for Harris. Getting Jackson or Atwell the ball cutting across the middle or trailing another receiver will work just as well.

Last edited:

Ram65

Legend
McVay will get Jackson more third WR snaps than anyone else. Jackson still commands a nice cushion from a DB. He can get you 7-15 yards on easy down and outs. He has never been afraid of going over the middle and can make short/mid-level passes into a big gain. All that can set up deep passes. He can run the same deep sideline routes Cooks use to run with better catch rates. I estimate he plays 50-60% of the snap counts. Jefferson will get his chances as well with Kupp and Woods possibly getting a few more rest snaps. Atwell can get some snaps should he learn the offense quickly enough.

Defenses can't double cover each of Woods, Kupp and Jackson.