Who will be the surprise cut?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Seems like every year there is at least one cut that we didn't expect. I guess if you want to you can consider that cut Rok Watkins...but I'm talking about the post-camp cuts that are coming.

I'm going to say Darian Stewart gets cut. The other young safeties seem to have shown as much or more than he has at this point.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
I agree with the player but not the reason. I'm tired of Stewart always being injured. I doubt we can rely on him for the whole season and Fisher might agree with me.

V3

Hall of Fame
albefree69 said:
I agree with the player but not the reason. I'm tired of Stewart always being injured. I doubt we can rely on him for the whole season and Fisher might agree with me.

Same. If you can't count on him to stay healthy, you can't count on him. It's the same reason the Rams won't re-sign Saffold in the off-season.

Another player that might not make it could be Helmick. I think they may try to hide him on the PS. He hasn't played much in preseason so there isn't much tape on him for other teams. I could be wrong though. They'll keep Austin, Quick, Pettis, Givens, and Bailey for sure. I'm guessing they'll keep 6 so that leaves one more spot for Helmick, Veltung, Radaway, and Johnson. It's probably going to be the guy that contributes the most to special teams. Perhaps they try Helmick out at KR the next two games and he makes it that way? Just thinking as I type. I could be way off.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Davis, Cudjo, Dahl, Stewart, and Smith could all be surprise cuts, IMO.

Lunchbox

Starter
Name
LunchBox
DR RAM said:

Do you think they'd cut Dahl with the questionable/inexperienced backups we have at guard?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Lunchbox said:
DR RAM said:

Do you think they'd cut Dahl with the questionable/inexperienced backups we have at guard?
Not likely, but if they think Smith is better, then it's possible.

Lunchbox

Starter
Name
LunchBox
DR RAM said:
Lunchbox said:
DR RAM said:

OK, so possibly one but not both. Smith is the name that popped into my head when you mentioned a possible surprise cut at guard in your roster prediction.

I know Dahl had a poor first game but looked better against the Packers while Smith seems to be unable to anchor against a bull rush and gets little push in the run game.

With Barnes playing well at LG so far and Jones working his way into shape I wouldn't be surprised if Smith was cut but would be surprised if it were Dahl even at his salary.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Lunchbox said:
DR RAM said:
Lunchbox said:
DR RAM said:

OK, so possibly one but not both. Smith is the name that popped into my head when you mentioned a possible surprise cut at guard in your roster prediction.

I know Dahl had a poor first game but looked better against the Packers while Smith seems to be unable to anchor against a bull rush and gets little push in the run game.

With Barnes playing well at LG so far and Jones working his way into shape I wouldn't be surprised if Smith was cut but would be surprised if it were Dahl even at his salary.
Yeah, I didn't mean all of these guys would get cut at the same time, and certainly not both Guards, but two or three could be a possibility.

Dahl would be the most surprising, because the only guy to really work in that spot is Washington, other than Smith. And Dahl is probably the emergency Tackle, which might help him. If they didn't need Washington, he'd be gone already.

V3

Hall of Fame
Dahl would be the most surprising cut I can remember. That would be a shocker. They don't have as much depth at O-line as some people think. Dahl can also play RT in an emergency so there's no way I see them cutting him.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
DR RAM said:

No way Dahl is cut. None.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
CGI_Ram said:
DR RAM said:

No way Dahl is cut. None.
He would be the biggest surprise, I already said. After tonight, and Smith's performance...no way, it will be next year, before his 1/2 million bonus. He is not playing great though, lucky nobody is playing better, IMO.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Lunchbox said:
DR RAM said:
Lunchbox said:
DR RAM said:

Good point on Shelley Smith unsecured spot here...Tim Barnes sure looked real good last week @ OLG like I said earlier I was of the opinion that Barnes play @ OLG was the best I have seen in a long long time. Last night Barnes played a whole lot of center and looked every bit as good if not better than Scott Wells...later late into the 4th when Ryan Lee injured his ACL @ ORG Barnes came in and made the block on the MLB'er on that long Cunningham run near the goal line.

Shelley Smith may not be in the hunt any longer as a starter @ OLG but I will say this Chris Williams is not any better than Shelley overall. CW still makes whiffs & mistakes then follows with a great block where Smith is not making those great blocks but is more consistent but is only adequate @ best. In truth Fisher & Boudreau have NOT found the answer yet @ OLG with either CW or SS period.

Chris Williams alleged high value is that he can in an emergency play four positions if need be where SS plays just two. So CW get the nod but by now the 28 yr old CW can not win the OLG convincingly against a journeyman like the 26 yr old SS then the writing sure looks like its on the wall to me. Best to remind ourselves that CW started over 30 some games @ OLG before with the Bears...so its not like he is learning the position. CW has shown zero on his ability to play OT effectively IMO and thus his extra plus mean nothing to me. Both CW & SS could be cut bait as far as I am concerned if a OG can be found off the wavier wire.

IMO the answer @ OLG is in those two reserve centers. The 6-4 308 pound Barnes has been with our Ram team since the beginning of the 2011 season on the PS. In 2012 he made the master roster about that same time a yr later and played in 15 games. Boudreau wanted Barnes back & signed him to future contract late last yr and then signed a contract in May of this season. So Boudreau has had his hands on Barnes now for one complete reg season OTA"s & TC & pre season of this season....So now Boudreau has a interior OL'er who is has worked in @ three OL posts OC-ORG & OLG and proven out well. Barnes was a top five OG prospect coming out of HS. He played OLG before shifting to center. He has remained very healthy & never missed any games due to injury.

Barrett Jones is trying to catch up in conditioning when watching him @ ORG or OC he does not get much push but he almost never goes backwards or whiffs. If Wells stays healthy & Jones can ride in Wells back pocket that should free up Barnes for some OG action if CW falters. In conclusion both or one SS or CW could be surprise cut.

On the Harvey Dahl suggestion of possible cut ....think that is highly unlikely after the performances delivered by Chris Williams & Brandon Washington @ Right OT. Sad part is I thing Washington has shown to be a better ORT than CW. So unless Ty Nsekhe shows up hot against the Ravens & shows he can play Right OT like he can OLT post then our best emergency 4th OT is Harvey Dahl & not CW.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
BonifayRam liking Jones better than before:
Barrett Jones is trying to catch up in conditioning when watching him @ ORG or OC he does not get much push but he almost never goes backwards or whiffs.

Again it seems to be a quextion of strength. I think that won't be as much of an issue next year. I agree with everything else you said. Excellent post. :bg: