Who Starts vs Chargers? Final 53?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
We all know McVay is not going to play starters or anyone else he deems vital. I do wonder who he will start, who he wants to look at. I believe they brought in Austin Hummel for the sole purpose of returning kicks and punts, not risking Powell or Atwell, who will get a lots of targets as WR's.

Will he play Shelton, who has mostly been splitting snaps at RG with the 1st team and C with the 2nd team? Since the 1st team won't play will he just play C with the 2nd team? I expect Bruss to get a lot of work at RG Saturday.

Will Wolford play? He's taken most snaps with the 1st team, but has also taken quite a few snaps with the 2nd team. He should play IMHO, but doubt he does. I expect Perkins and Perez to split the game.

My guess for opening OL vs Chargers: A Jackson LT, Anchrum LG, Kolone or Shelton C, Bruss RG, Evans or Acuri RT. These are the guys that played the most snaps at these positions and I believe they are the main backups there. After Noteboom, Edwards, Allen, Shelton, Havenstien, and Bruss, I think its Anchrum and Jackson. The last spot is up for grabs. Evans just may have an edge. He's played at LT and RT. We'll see how he does in pre-season.

I've seen the new depth chart and it looks like the towel guy made it up. That Evans isn't on it means nothing. A Jackson is clearly next behind Noteboom.

Will Kren Williams get snaps at RB? Guy just came off the PUP list after recovering from a broken foot. Expect to see alot from Ragas, Rose, Calais and Funk.

WE won't see many familiar names on D Saturday. Maybe Burgess, who I think in danger of getting cut. I don't doubt his wilingness, I doubt his ability to digest the X's and O's. I just don't think Burgress is very football smart. If he plays, he's on the bubble.

Hope we see a lot of Durant and Kendrick. If they don't play, it's because they already made the team.

Dicker and Dixon will get all the K/Punt duties. Don;t expect to see Matt Gay.

Here's my final 53. Of course this will change depending how some of the guys on the fence perform in pre-season games. It's reall hard to tell how well someone is doing when they're not going full speed and bringing the wood. Especially true with the OL, DL and edge.

At QB last year they kept 3. Stafford, Wolford and Perkins. . Stafford and Wolford for sure. Perkins didn't show very well at TC. He really needs to play well if he wants to make the team, he doesn't and the Rams just keep 2.

RB: They keep 4, Akers, Henderson, Williams, and Funk. While I really like Calais as a returner and he has good hands out of the backfield, he doesn't bring anything to special teams like Funk does.

WR: I count 7 keepers. Kupp, Robinson, Jefferson (who should be back by 1st game) Atwell, Powell, Skowronik and Harris.

TE: 3-- Hgibee, Hopkins, Blanton. McVay said Harris is a WR, so not listing him here.

OL: 9-- Noteboom, Edwards, Allen, Shelton, Havenstien, A Jackson, Anchrum, Bruss and either Kolone or Evans. Yea, I put in Evans, they keep running him out there and he seems to be doing pretty well. It's going to be between Evans and Kolone for the last spot. Kolone has been taking a ton of snaps at C and I expect him to be the starting C Saturday vs the Chargers.

Defense is a lot harder to predict. Especially the DB's DL 5--will be AD, Gaines, A'Shawn Robinson, Copeland, Hoecht. Would be 6 if Brown III wasn't out for 6 games.

OLB: 5-- Floyd, Hollins, Lewis, Garrett and Hardy.

ILB: 3--Jones, Wagner, and either Hummel or Roseboom, I like Hummel and think it will come down to pre-season games. Howard is on PUP list so won't be back for awhile.

Cornerback: 6--Ramsey, Hill, Long, Rochell, Durant, Kendrick

Safety: 5-- Scott, Rapp, Fuller, Burgess and Yeast. Quinton Lake is on PUP

LS: Orzach,

K: Gay

P; Dicker or Dixon. Gonna be decided by pre-season performance. I prefer the veteran Dixon, but Dicker can also placekick.

I think that adds up to 53. What sucks is there's going to be a lot of talent Rams put on the practice squad that will be snapped up by other teams. A lot of good talent left off rams 53.

A lot of this will change after the 3rd preseason game. I don't think the OL is completly set, or DL between Hoecht and Jonah Williams.

Any way lets hear your feedback.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
While I'd love to see Bruss getting plenty of those RG snaps, I don't expect to see much or any of him, same with Shelton at C/RG. We'll see tools like Evans & Kolone mixed in with Anchrum, Brewer, Snyder, Arcuri, Pircher & Ealy for the OL, at least that's my guess. jmo.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
I think Bruss gets some run Saturday. He hasn't faced NFL level competition even at 2nd string (not counting our O). I'm sure McVay and crew are interested to see how the kid fares.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I'll go with my updated 53:

QB: Matt Stafford, John Wolford.

(I really didn't give Wolford enough credit in my last mock 53, and perhaps I gave Perkins too much. Stafford is Stafford.)

RB: Cam Akers, Darrell Henderson Jr., Kyren Williams, Raymond Calais.

(The last one may be a little surprising, but we'll need a backup in case - fate forbid, Brandon Powell is hurt or a slasher back in case Henderson suffers a usual injury/gets traded). Not that I don't appreciate Henderson's skillset because I do; I just wish he was healthier. I'm willing to bet on Williams' pass protection on third down, and I hope he's healthier than Henderson has been. Funk and Ragas go on the practice squad.)

WR: Cooper Kupp, Allen "Old- Fashioned" Robinson, Van Jefferson Jr., Chatarius Atwell, Ben Skowronek, Jacob Harris,, Brandon Powell.

(Seven sounds about right for receiver. Kupp, Robinson, and Jefferson are obvious; I think people really underrate what Jefferson can bring to a football field. Atwell has surprised me, and I hope he continues to take the next step. Skowronek can get a little underrated at times, Harris has oodles of potential, and Powell is arguably the best special teams returnman we've had since prime Pharoh Cooper, probably even better. I'm a fan of both Warren Jackson and Lance McCutcheon, and I can imagine them on the practice squad.)

TE: Tyler Higbee, Kendall Blanton, Brycen Hopkins.

(The three who make it here right now may not be here next year. We have to face facts on Higbee: he's turning thirty next year on the dot, he's had nagging injuries, and with his contract (up to 2023), he could easily be a trade chip. I like Blanton a lot, and I hope Hopkins puts his Super Bowl year to form, but Blanton is a restricted free agent next year, and while I'm hoping for the best for Hopkins, I don't know if he replaces Higbee in terms of physicality. Jamal Pettigrew and Roger Carter are very interesting blocking tight ends who should probably marinate on the practice squad.)

OL: Joseph Noteboom, David Edwards, Brian Allen, Coleman Shelton, Rob Havenstein, Logan Bruss, Tremayne Anchrum Jr. Alaric Jackson, Chandler Brewer.

(I bet that Bruss takes the right guard job part of the way through the season, but it's not an indictment on Shelton; it's merely that Bruss is more talented. Call me crazy, but I think we re-sign Edwards to a similar contract to Noteboom's. Anchrum is your backup right guard/tackle, and A-Jax could be a hell of a find at right tackle when Havenstein is a free agent after this year; honestly, I was shocked that he never got drafted. Meanwhile, Brewer is your Swiss-Army knife offensive lineman, able to line up damn near everywhere, and I think he's in better shape this year than last, where he was out of football in 2020. I hope we keep three offensive linemen on the practice squad: Max Pircher, A.J. Arcuri, and Jack Snyder. I guarantee you that Bobby Evans will either be dealt or cut, and I bet he knows it as well.)

DL: Aaron Donald, Greg "Grizzly Gaines, A'Shawn Robinson, Marquise Copeland, Earnest Brown IV. (Bobby Brown III on suspended list.)

(Yeah, call me nuts for wanting EB4 on the team. I think he's an excellent fit as a 5-tech. Copeland looks like he has potential, but he's on the bubble with Michael Hoecht and Jonah Williams; all three of them are good enough to start for other teams, but probably not good enough to crack the roster. BB3's return should help the defensive line, but I'm hoping he gets himself into shape; I could see him nudging out Copeland if he is. Out of the two unrestricted free agents on the defensive line this year, we absolutely have to re-sign Gaines. Robinson will likely be a comp pick (third or fourth), but Gaines is a huge key to our defensive identity, especially when AD retires. Elijah Garcia is an interesting prospect, but honestly, I see us taking defensive line highly in next year's draft.)

EDGE: Leonard Floyd, Justin Hollins, Chris Garrett, Daniel Hardy, Terrell Lewis.

(No real surprises here. I bet that Garrett and Hardy put on a show. Honestly. Terrell Lewis not cracking the top four is concerning, and Leonard Floyd's ankle problem even more so. Still, Hollins is an underrated versatile chess-piece, and I have high hopes for both Garrett and Hardy. Here's hoping Lewis remains healthy. Benton Whitley and the Thomases (Keir and Brayden) are very interesting prospects in their own right; I can't wait to see them in preseason.)

ILB: Bobby Wagner, Ernest Jones, Christian Rozeboom. (Travin Howard on IR.)

(Yes, I only have three inside linebackers. Wagner and Jones should handle the meat, while Rozeboom gets the special teams honors. Hummel is a find for the practice squad, while Howard...well, he's injured. Again. I would not be surprised if he goes on IR.)

CB: Jalen Ramsey, Troy Hill, David Long Jr., Robert Rochell, Decobie Durant, Derion Kendrick.

(This is the best cornerback group I've ever seen on the Rams. I honestly don't see a single weak link, not even Hill (whom I thought that the Rams would use as a placeholder, but he's done quite well for himself, and I bet he's eager to earn a ring.) Rochell was a keeper last year, and I bet he's better this year. Durant and Kendrick have been revelations. And then you have guys like Caesar Dancy-Williams, Duron Lowe, and T.J. Carter who could also be UDFA finds. Just an impressive collection of talent from the top to the bottom. Long Jr. and Hill are free agents after this year, and I don't think we keep either of them.)

SAF: Nick Scott, Taylor Rapp, Jordan Fuller, Terrell Burgess, Russ Yeast, Quentin Lake.

(Yeah, I think safety is the biggest spot we can use for trade chips (i.e., Rapp and Burgess.) But even if we don't trade one, it'll be a position of sheer strength. I feel that Lake's injury clears up in time for the regular season (after all, he's only on the PUP list), and having guys like Fuller and Burgess, who could start for many other teams, as backups? And Yeast and Lake as options? Oh my. Scott and Rapp are unrestricted free agents next year (and my gut says...we don't keep either one.) It hasn't been our MO to pay safeties. It sucks because I actually like Scott and Rapp, but if we didn't keep JJ3, we're not keeping Scott or Rapp either. And then there's two prospects, Daniel Isom and Jairon McVea, who look like interesting finds themselves.)

ST: Matt Gay, Cameron Dicker, Matthew Orzech.

(Yay, I got Cameron Dicker's first name right this time! But yeah, Gay, I want to sign to an extension, especially if he's as automatic as he was last year. He doesn't have Zuerlein's leg, but I feel a lot better with Gay than I even did with Zuerlein. Riley Dixon is interesting as a former high-school quarterback and a solid holder on field goal tries, but I like Dicker's ability to both punt and placekick (just in case), and if he shows aptitude in holding, we'll be solid there. Orzech has been fairly reliable.)

So yeah, forgive me for the word salad; that's just my updated take on the 53 man roster.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Bruss and Jackson seem like they'll do well this weekend on that right side in the run game. Someone will benefit like maybe Funk who should be ready to handle some carries. Hope he survives it if he gets a good carry total.

I was surprised to hear McVay mention Arcuri as one of the players he is excited about seeing play. Has to be a good thing that he's caught his eye.

Really hope the OL is sharp. It would be nice to see the offense get good work.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Bruss and Jackson seem like they'll do well this weekend on that right side in the run game. Someone will benefit like maybe Funk who should be ready to handle some carries. Hope he survives it if he gets a good carry total.

I was surprised to hear McVay mention Arcuri as one of the players he is excited about seeing play. Has to be a good thing that he's caught his eye.

Really hope the OL is sharp. It would be nice to see the offense get good work.
It will be fun this weekend to hopefully watch the Rams play on Saturday while at work, vs the Renters. It's 3:07 am Merlin in Salem and don't you have a class to teach as a Preacher Teacher at the Baptist college?
Now do a bowl and go to sleep!