Who are Top Front Sevens in 2017?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I don't see where you think the Chargers' D is bad
They allowed 26 points a game....and while I'ma yards guy, this is just too many points...and the yards should have them around 20....
Watt's health is in question...then definitely Melvin Ingrahm's is too...Manti is just...he'll always be "catfish" to me. LOLOLOL Donald is in the NFC....Wagner is NFC also...Chandler Jones in NFC...and Kuekly too...all of them are BETTER than Mack...Fine player...nothing like them..Hell, Kwan Short is better too...and some DT I'm leaving out...can't remember the name..had a bunch of tackles...
I understand you think Collins isn't disruptive...OK...check out Cleveland's defense this year. Same with Carolina's...they are miles ahead of the Chargers.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
They allowed 26 points a game....and while I'ma yards guy, this is just too many points...and the yards should have them around 20....
Watt's health is in question...then definitely Melvin Ingrahm's is too...Manti is just...he'll always be "catfish" to me. LOLOLOL Donald is in the NFC....Wagner is NFC also...Chandler Jones in NFC...and Kuekly too...all of them are BETTER than Mack...Fine player...nothing like them..Hell, Kwan Short is better too...and some DT I'm leaving out...can't remember the name..had a bunch of tackles...
I understand you think Collins isn't disruptive...OK...check out Cleveland's defense this year. Same with Carolina's...they are miles ahead of the Chargers.
Honestly, I wasn't separating AFC/NFC...

Collins is disruptive and a great player, but I think Mack is better.

I will also say that I don't think the Chargers' D is better than Carolina's - just outside the top 10 to start the season seems apt - I was commenting on the fact that the pass-rush from their front 7 looks really, really extraordinary with Ingram and Bosa coming at the opposing QBs. Bosa is a monster.

Also, I know Ingram's health is always a question. That's a knock. But you'll notice I ranked Watt (despite my concerns about his health) in my overall top 5 non-QBs in the NFL. And I disagree with you on Wagner, Jones and Short being better than Mack. If there's anyone else in the NFL who is going to contend for a spot on my list (I'm sure they're all dying to be on DCH's Top 5) it'd be Geno Atkins.

But I stand behind my extremely subjective top 5 of Mack, Donald, Watt, Miller and Jones. In whatever order you like.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
@DCH

No worries...Mack is a player...just not a top 10 NFL player...judging on his actual impact on his teams success. He gets sacks...occasionally. I still remember last years playoff game vs. Houston. Mack wasn't the dominant player, Clowney was. I'd actually rate Mack as equal to Clowney as far as impact on games...
I like Geno too...he's starting to slow down.
the players I forgot were the Bucs guys...that LB and the DT....you know the ones...I also like the guy outta Philly, Fletcher Cox...
My objective list...just my eyes...of the total NFL
Donald, Watt, Miller, Wagner,Kuechly, Houston, Collins, Short, McCoy....Jones....over Mack...not top 10....He needs to do more...Shazier is on the bubble of breaking in this elite group.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
@DCH

No worries...Mack is a player...just not a top 10 NFL player...judging on his actual impact on his teams success. He gets sacks...occasionally. I still remember last years playoff game vs. Houston. Mack wasn't the dominant player, Clowney was. I'd actually rate Mack as equal to Clowney as far as impact on games...
I like Geno too...he's starting to slow down.
the players I forgot were the Bucs guys...that LB and the DT....you know the ones...I also like the guy outta Philly, Fletcher Cox...
My objective list...just my eyes...of the total NFL
Donald, Watt, Miller, Wagner,Kuechly, Houston, Collins, Short, McCoy....Jones....over Mack...not top 10....He needs to do more...Shazier is on the bubble of breaking in this elite group.
Cox is a heluva player, this is true. Clowney has always had the potential... he and Mercilus were beastly in that Pats/Texans game. But he's never put together a really dominant season. If he's over his early-career injury woes, that might change. His play really elevated in the playoffs.

I'm a fan of Kuechly, he's a great player and it broke my heart to see him when he took that concussion hit last season. Wagner is overrated, IMO... a very good MLB and field general, but not on my short list for "best in the NFL."

I considered McCoy, but he hasn't been as effective the past few years. Haven't watched enough TB games to know why, but his production has been way down for a while now. Three years ago, he might have been duking it out with Watt at the top of my list.

I'll add that, as you've noted, the Raiders' D is overall pretty mediocre to bad. Mack is a one-man wrecking crew; he's not surrounded by talent, like Kuechly, or like the Houston boys (Mercilus + Watt + Clowney is fucking terrifying). I have to give him credit because he's the only real focus of the offensive blocking scheme and he still impacts the game tremendously.

Shazier is a surprise to me. I'm not sure what I'm missing - maybe haven't seen enough Steelers games - but I see him as a good linebacker who is solid in every facet of the game rather than as a game-changing guy back there.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
WOW.....Think he had a 180+tackle season once...oh well

Mack has a lil more talent around him now, lets see if he can help save my boy Norton's job.....
Wagner's best season he had 167 tackles. He's James Lauranitis with a bit more talent and a bit less height - a really good MLB, not one of the top 10 players in the NFL.

(Just my opinion as always)

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
Just curious, has anyone really watched Barwin play? I have only seen him a few times when I watched him with Houston....I really don't know his game...I'm picturing a poor mans Chris Long....and I'd rather have a "healthy" Chris...LOLOLOL

That is an Interesting comparison with Long and one I had not really considered since Long was a 4-3 DE (until NE) but it makes sense. Their overall NFL production is close but Long was more productive and impactful in his first 6 years. I have not seen enough of Barwin to get a complete gage on what he is as a player but from what I have seen and read he is a little longer and much faster but not as thick or stout as Long (better suited as a 3-4 rusher). Wade has coached Barwin before so I trust that the Son of Bum knows what Barwin can do for his defense. As I noted in my earlier post I hope Barwin is not hitting that same steep production-decline slope that some 30 years old players hit (That is where the Long comparison worries me).

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Stop it...LOL
I'm serious - look at each guy's best season:

Wagner - age 26 - 167 tackles, 85 solo, 4.5 sacks, 1 INT, 3 PD and 6 stuffs
Laurinaitis - age 25 - 142 tackles, 105 solo, 3 sacks, 2 INT, 7 PD and 8 stuffs

Both solid, productive players who impacted both the pass game and the run game and who were good on-field tacticians. Wagner may hit harder, but I see him and JL in more or less the same tier. Don't just remember the post-age-30 JL.