Who are Top Front Sevens in 2017?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
This is an article from NFL.com about who will have the Best Front seven ( Defense) in 2017! I don't care for the Ranking, the Rams are Ranked 10th. out of 12! But it's a slow News day, so I thought we could discuss it!

www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000810526/article/top-front-sevens-in-2017? Texans, Seahawks, Panthers

2016 wasn't a great season for front-seven units. The playoffs were marked by good-enough defenses simply trying to slow down great offenses (and usually falling short).

Like most NFL trends, this shouldn't last. Recent champions like the 2015 Broncos and 2013 Seahawks had all-time defenses that were overwhelming up front. Many of the best front-seven groups have reloaded for this season with the complementary pieces necessary to rush the passer and stop the run.

I've ranked the best front sevens below with one simple question in mind: Which group would I want to roll with for the 2017 season?

12) New York Jets

Seven key cogs: Leonard Williams, Muhammad Wilkerson, Sheldon Richardson, Darron Lee, David Harris, Steve McLendon, Lorenzo Mauldin.

The 2016 Jets' front seven was so much less than the sum of its parts. Williams, Wilkerson and Richardson should be awesome, but they don't quite fit together. They are all brute strength and not enough speed. Candidates for the Jets' best edge rusher include ... Mauldin and Jordan Jenkins?

New York still cracks this list over some near misses like the Dolphins, Jaguars, Bucs and Bears because the Jets' Big Three should be so much better. Williams can be a first-team All-Pro. Wilkerson, consistent as a ShackBurger in his first five seasons, shouldn't suddenly be washed up at 27 years old. For all the criticism he took in 2016, Richardson was a top-five run-stopper among 4-3 defensive ends, according to Pro Football Focus. And that came in his worst season.

11) Kansas City Chiefs

Seven key cogs: Justin Houston, Chris Jones, Dee Ford, Bennie Logan, Tamba Hali, Derrick Johnson, Allen Bailey.

The Chiefs, like the Jets, get knocked for not being complete. They tried to address a run-stopping deficiency by signing Logan, but the team has question marks at defensive end and inside linebacker that remain unsolved. That's why they are low on the list, but they are included because of a killer one-two punch. Houston remains one of the most devastating, complete defenders in football. Jones could wind up being the second-best defensive player from the 2016 draft class behind Joey Bosa.

10) Los Angeles Rams

Seven key cogs: Aaron Donald, Robert Quinn, Michael Brockers, Alec Ogletree, Mark Barron, Dominique Easley, Connor Barwin.

Donald will become one of the highest-paid defensive players in NFL history soon, an honor he richly deserves. The rest of his Rams defensive teammates have been living off reputation and Gregg Williams quotes for too long.

Brockers and Easley form an intriguing duo inside, but they combined to play fewer than 900 snaps last season. Quinn was last a consistent force in 2014 -- and his 2013 season, when he was a Defensive Player of the Year candidate, stands out as an anomaly in his career.

It remains to be seen how Ogletree and Barron fit into Wade Phillips' defense, but the Son of Bumalways finds a way.

9) Philadelphia Eagles

Seven key cogs: Fletcher Cox, Brandon Graham, Jordan Hicks, Timmy Jernigan, Vinny Curry, Nigel Bradham, Derek Barnett.

Philadelphia's cornerbacks made this group look worse that it really was last season. The Eagles' front consistently applied pressure under Jim Schwartz. And the unit boasts enviable depth, with players like Chris Long and Beau Allen not listed above. Cox and Graham would be bigger stars if the Eaglesweren't knee-deep in that 7-9 bull---- the last two seasons. Jernigan and Barnett should add more juice than departed Eagles Connor Barwin and Bennie Logan supplied.

8) Los Angeles Chargers

Seven key cogs: Joey Bosa, Melvin Ingram, Corey Liuget, Denzel Perryman, Brandon Mebane, Kyle Emanuel, Jatavis Brown.

The list of defensive players I would rather have in 2017 than Joey Bosa: J.J. Watt, Von Miller and Khalil Mack.

The list of defensive players I would rather have for the next 10 years than Joey Bosa:

Bosa is a more natural fit for Gus Bradley's 4-3 defense in Los Angeles than as a 3-4 outside linebacker in San Diego -- and Bosa should be even scarier with a full offseason and training camp to get ready. He's surrounded by a group of players that covers all bases. Perryman provides thump at inside linebacker, while Brown adds speed. Ingram is a complete bookend to pair with Bosa, while Mebane and Liuget bring quality beef to the interior defensive line. The Chargers are ranked low on this list for the same reason that Bradley's old team in Jacksonville didn't make the list at all. Thus far, this group has looked better on paper than on the field.

7) Pittsburgh Steelers

Seven key cogs: Cameron Heyward, Ryan Shazier, Stephon Tuitt, Bud Dupree, James Harrison, Javon Hargrave, T.J. Watt.

Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert has stocked his roster with defensive cornerstones for his defensive-minded coach. Mike Tomlin was allowed to depose a franchise legend in former coordinator Dick LeBeau in order for Tomlin to fully execute his defensive vision. Other than Harrison, the key players in this front seven are squarely in the middle of their respective primes. Tuitt, Heyward and Shazier can all excel against the run and pass.

It's time for this group to grow up together and play as one. This is the year.

6) Denver Broncos

Seven key cogs: Von Miller, Derek Wolfe, Shane Ray, Shaquil Barrett, Brandon Marshall, Domata Peko, DeMarcus Walker.

There is no such thing as "too many edge rushers." Even with DeMarcus Ware retired, the Broncoscould possess one of the most productive outside pass-rushing trios in football in Miller, Ray and Barrett.

Miller will make up for a lot of sins, but the team's inability to stop the run wasn't fully addressed by signing Peko, the 32-year-old longtime Bengal. Even though Wolfe and Ray have the potential to enjoy breakout seasons, this is a top-heavy group that lacks the depth of the team's championship squad, which included Ware, Malik Jackson and Danny Trevathan.

5) New York Giants

Seven key cogs: Jason Pierre-Paul, Olivier Vernon, Damon Harrison, Devon Kennard, Dalvin Tomlinson, Jonathan Casillas, B.J. Goodson.

If this exercise only ranked defensive lines, the Giants would probably finish No. 1. Harrison puts a great run-stopping group over the top. JPP and Vernon play an incredible amount of snaps without sacrificing a consistent pass rush.

The Giants' problem: The three players behind the defensive line count, too. GM Jerry Reese has been skimping at linebacker roughly since Antonio Pierce left town. Goodson, a second-year fourth-round pick who barely played as a rookie, is taking over at middle linebacker. Kennard isn't trusted on passing downs. It looks like another year of the Giants' defensive line and secondary trying to cover for the guys in between.

4) Minnesota Vikings

Seven key cogs: Everson Griffen, Danielle Hunter, Linval Joseph, Anthony Barr, Eric Kendricks, Brian Robison, Datone Jones.

The Vikings don't have the marquee names in lights like most of the teams on this list. They do have a balanced and versatile group with few weaknesses. The young linebacker duo of Barr and Kendricks can excel on any down, covering receivers, stopping the run or rushing the passer. (Barr can play better than he did a year ago.) Hunter, like his two young linebacker teammates, has the potential to break out if he hasn't already. Joseph and Griffen were both given eye-opening, monster contracts by Minnesota, which now seem like forward-looking bargains.

It's not too late for this Vikings group -- with everyone but Robison still under 30 years old -- to achieve the type of dominance that coach Mike Zimmer expected last season. This entire Vikings team has some post-hype potential.

3) Carolina Panthers

Seven key cogs: Luke Kuechly, Kawann Short, Thomas Davis, Julius Peppers, Mario Addison, Charles Johnson, Shaq Thompson.

This is the only front-seven group on this list led by off-the-ball linebackers. Kuechly's concussion problems are concerning, and Davis isn't getting any younger, but this is the fastest, savviest linebacker duo in football until proven otherwise. Thompson, still coming into his own in the NFL at age 23, provides freakish athleticism of his own.

It's not like the defensive line lags far behind. Short was rightly paid as one of the game's best defensive tackles. Peppers, Addison and Johnson form an experienced trio of defensive ends who have been Brady-like in ignoring the ravages of time. Carolina is primed to bounce back in 2017, with this group leading the way.

2) Seattle Seahawks

Seven key cogs: Michael Bennett, Bobby Wagner, Cliff Avril, K.J. Wright, Frank Clark, Malik McDowell, Ahtyba Rubin.

This front seven might never fully get its due, which is a shame. Blame the Legion of Boom's marketing department. Blame Malcolm Butler.

The foursome of Bennett, Wagner, Avril and Wright remains a force, incredible for its longevity in an era built to break up teams, especially great ones. Bennett's ageless versatility and strength is the key, although Wagner and Wright have steadily grown better each season. Clark is a worthy third-wheel pass rusher, allowing Bennett to move inside on passing downs. McDowell landed on the perfect team to maximize his raw talent.

While there is a risk that the Seahawks' stew grows stale, the team's defensive decline was overstated last season. Seattle finished third in points allowed, first in yards-per-carry allowed and fifth in defensive DVOA in a down season. The team's front seven, not the secondary, now leads the way.

1) Houston Texans

Seven key cogs: J.J. Watt, Jadeveon Clowney, Whitney Mercilus, D.J. Reader, Benardrick McKinney, Brian Cushing, Christian Covington.

By the end of last season, Clowney and Mercilus were among the most devastating duos in football. Adding the best defensive player of the century to that tandem isn't fair.

This ranking assumes Watt returns as close to the same player that he was before back surgery. If that happens, this trio could make up for so much: Tom Savage, a so-so Texans linebacker group and possibly the nation's debt. Watt, Clowney and Mercilus are the best front-line trio in football because all three can play in multiple formations, on any down, against any style of offense. The team is also confident in Reader's ability to provide an upgrade from Vince Wilfork.

I started this column looking for a complete front seven, and the Texans don't exactly qualify, lacking in coverage linebackers. But the awesome potential of Prime Watt, Clowney and Mercilus playing together overwhelms the competition on this list, just like it should overwhelm AFC South offensive lines.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
My question is who would we leapfrog that is ranked above us?
For now it seems fair. We have a group that has not played in the new scheme and some of them have been somewhat inconsistent.
In my eyes we have top 5 potential but will have to prove it with on field performance. Some of those front sevens are really good.
This time next year we will be higher up and that is all that matters

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
My belief is that Williams' defense actually made the Ram D talent look worse than it really is. Williams gambled for flash plays and therefore caused players to miss too many assignments. Combine that with an inept offense that caused the group to regularly feel "WTF" does it matter, and the performance suffered. This same writer will be calling the Rams a top 5 unit next year. Coaching will make that much of a difference. Hide and watch...

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
For now it seems fair. We have a group that has not played in the new scheme and some of them have been somewhat inconsistent.
In my eyes we have top 5 potential but will have to prove it with on field performance. Some of those front sevens are really good.
I personally think we should be at #7 right now!! JMHO!! Not being a Homer!!

fearsomefour

Legend
My understanding is Phillips runs a fairly simple system.
Not necessarily in terms of looks or alignments I am sure those will change with opponent.
But in terms of keeping presnap reads and adjustments simple.
Let the great athletes be athletic and make plays.
I think this will help the D a goodly amount. I liked Williams fine but there were times he was his own enemy. So much disguising and blitzing....at times it created big plays for the O in my opinion.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
The statement about the 6 players besides donald living on reputation is just fucking horrible.

Barron and Easley had the mild bust reputation until they excelled with the rams. Brockers and Tree have only gotten better on the field, and barwin had one down year as a miscast eagle.

He uses one sentence to sum up brockers and Easley by saying they make an "intriguing" duo but "only played 900 snaps combined last year"

Wow, if that's your insight to their abilities and what they bring to the table, then don't bother writing anything, because then I have to take time out of my day to point out how stupid that sounds.

If Quinn can stay healthy, the rams will be in the top 3 by the end of the year regardless of whether or not the other teams are also healthy.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I concur with @wolfdogg that a healthy Quinn will be a huge difference along with Connor Barwin who now is back in a more comfortable 3-4 alignment and I'm hoping he turns into what Kevin Greene did after he left the Rams when they went to a 4-3 and signed with the Steelers. I have high hopes for Barwin.

Keep in mind the Rams rated lower because of the switch to a new defense so they have to factor in adjustments along with Quinn playing a position he has not played since college.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
I like that quinn will be able to move around more instead of continuously, and illegally, being ridden down by the LT. When the LT has to help with the DE or when there's a TE on his side, Quinn should be in a good position to make a play. This also helps with his back and staying healthy.

I wanted to draft barwin and now I'm looking forward to him playing like he did in Houston under the exact same scheme. I haven't been this excited about our front 7 in a long, long, time.

jap

Legend
If The Mighty Quinn is healthy, our front seven becomes a death squad for opposing backfields.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
All I care about is
  1. Are they all healthy
  2. Do they understand their new assignments
  3. Are they suited to play well/thrive in their new roles
  4. Are they developing as individuals and then as a unit as the season progresses
  5. If the above 4 are met to a satisfactory degree we will be good enough or maybe even great

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I think Phillips will work his Magic! He definitely has a better team in L.A. than what he walked into in Denver, and he improved the hell out of that!! JMHO!

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
If everyone stays healthy and clean off the field, the Rams starting front 7 will boast 6 first round picks and 1 second round pick (Assuming those noted below actually are the starters).

Connor Barwin Age 30 - Drafted 2009 at Pick 2(46) by Houston (Note: will be 31 on Oct. 15) Second-Team All-Pro 2014
Robert Quinn Age 27- Drafted 2011 at Pick 1(14) - 2 Pro Bowls (2013-2014) - PFWA DPY 2013
Mark Barron Age 27 - Drafted 2012 at Pick 1(7) by Tampa Bay (Note: will be 28 on Oct. 27)
Michael Brockers Age 26 - Drafted 2012 at Pick 1(14) (Note: will be 27 on Dec. 21)
Alec Ogletree Age 25 - Drafted 2013 at Pick 1(30) (Note: will be 26 on Sept. 25) Second-Team All-Pro 2016
Aaron Donald Age 26 - Drafted 2014 at Pick 1(13) - 3 - Pro Bowls (2014-2016) - NFL DRY 2014
Dominique Easely Age 25 - Drafted 2014 at Pick 1(29) by New England

I put the ages in here because I wanted to underscore that all of these guys except Barwin are in their athletic primes if healthy.

At OLB The potential is there for both Quinn and Barwin to put up very nice numbers but the possibility also exists that Barwin is in Decline at 30 going on 31 and maybe Quinn never regains his old form. I do not think that is the case but we cannot know yet.

Quinn's Career Sacks
Year Team GP SACK

2011 STL 15 5.0
2012 STL 16 10.5
2013 STL 16 19.0 Pro Football Writers Association Defensive Player of the Year
2014 STL 16 10.5 Second-Team All-Pro & Prow Bowl
2015 STL
8 5.0
2016 STL 9 4.0
Career 80 Games 54.0 Sacks

Barwin's Career Sacks
Year Team GP SACK

2009 HOU 16 3.5
2010 IR

2011 HOU 16 11.5
2012 HOU 16 3.0
2013 PHI 17 5.0
2014 PHI 16 14.5 Second-Team All-Pro
2015 PHI 16 7.0
2016 PHI 16 5.0
NFL Career 97 Games 50.5 Sacks

Last edited:

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie

I think people have questions about the LB's we have. No upper tiers there. Although Ogltree is on the verge of some good things. Barron is versatile but I don't think he stands out.

Its also possible the new defense leaves question marks. New coach. New system. The one thing we have going is Wade Phillips history of turning out good defenses in his first year with a team. I really think the addition of Barwin is going to make the pass rush very formidable. If Phillips can do for Quinn what he did for Demarcus Ware I can see this front seven leapfrogging into the top 5.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
That Chargers' line is ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous. Ingram-Liuget-Mebane-Bosa? Fuck me, I'm glad I'm not Alex Smith or Paxton Lynch right now. Hell, any AFC West QB is in for a brutal year - the worst defense in that division still has Khalil Mack doing his best Lawrence Taylor impersonation.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Connor Barwin Age 30 - Drafted 2009 at Pick 2(46) by Houston (Note: will be 31 on Oct. 15) Second-Team All-Pro 2014
Just curious, has anyone really watched Barwin play? I have only seen him a few times when I watched him with Houston....I really don't know his game...I'm picturing a poor mans Chris Long....and I'd rather have a "healthy" Chris...LOLOLOL

That Chargers' line is ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous. Ingram-Liuget-Mebane-Bosa? freak me,
Seriously? They allowed 347 yards a game...26 points a game. Is someone coming back from an injury? I don't see a dominant front. I don't see a good defense. Although they did hold teams to less than 100 yards per game rushing.
http://www.footballdb.com/stats/teamstat.html?group=D&cat=T

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2016/opp.htm

http://www.oddsshark.com/nfl/defensive-stats

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/total/position/defense

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categoryst...onType=REG&tabSeq=2&qualified=false&Submit=Go

And Oakland??? Man, that defense almost got my boy Ken Norton fired...LOLOLOLOLOL Khalil Mack should be playing MLB

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Seriously? They allowed 347 yards a game...26 points a game. Is someone coming back from an injury? I don't see a dominant front. I don't see a good defense. Although they did hold teams to less than 100 yards per game rushing.
They didn't have Bosa the first 4 games, Mebane ended the season on IR, they missed the entire season of their starting MLB Te'o, their best corner Jason Verrett tore an ACL, their other best corner Brandon Flowers missed 9 games - yeah, they lost more to injury than any other team in the NFL overall, and the defense took a big brunt of that injury bug.

And Oakland??? Man, that defense almost got my boy Ken Norton fired...LOLOLOLOLOL Khalil Mack should be playing MLB
Not saying the Oakland D will be good, just that even the worst defense in the AFC West has Khalil Mack who is a wrecking ball and one of the 3 or 4 best players in the NFL.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I think people have questions about the LB's we have. No upper tiers there. Although Ogltree is on the verge of some good things. Barron is versatile but I don't think he stands out.

Its also possible the new defense leaves question marks. New coach. New system. The one thing we have going is Wade Phillips history of turning out good defenses in his first year with a team. I really think the addition of Barwin is going to make the pass rush very formidable. If Phillips can do for Quinn what he did for Demarcus Ware I can see this front seven leapfrogging into the top 5.
You may not call them "Upper Tier" But I do! I think the combination of Barwin-Ogletree-Barron and Quinn, with Wade's guidance, are going to Rip our opponents apart this year! Especially with Donald and Brocker " Busting them up in front of them! JMHO!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
they lost more to injury than any other team in the NFL overall, and the defense took a big brunt of that injury bug.
so they haven't fielded most of those players on the field together....Manti Teo....you didn't just add him in as someone that could help, did you??? San Diego does NOT have a good defense...they just have some pretty good college players that are on the same team...and haven't done squat. Bosa missed 4 games on his own account.

Khalil Mack who is a wrecking ball and one of the 3 or 4 best players in the NFL.
I'm assuming you meant 3 or 4 defensive players...Cause I'm gonna name 4, from the AFC that are better...JJ Watt, best player in the game....Von Miller.....top defensive edge rusher.....Justin Houston....#2 edge rusher in my eyes....Jamie Collins...best all around LB in the AFC....the guy in Carolina is better... just a lil better...but he's nfc...In fact, I wouldn't put a guy that plays on a terrible D (except Collins) in the top 10 best players.

And I purposely left off CB's & Safeties that are much better in terms of game impact.....

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
so they haven't fielded most of those players on the field together....Manti Teo....you didn't just add him in as someone that could help, did you??? San Diego does NOT have a good defense...they just have some pretty good college players that are on the same team...and haven't done squat. Bosa missed 4 games on his own account.
Regardless of why - and your opinion of Te'o - they were missing roughly half of their starters on D. If Te'o doesn't rock your boat, just remember that whoever was playing ILB for the Chargers in 2016 wasn't good enough to be the starter ahead of him. And the Chargers have the potential for a ridiculous pass-rush.

I don't see where you think the Chargers' D is bad... they were 16th in the NFL in 2016 in yards allowed per game, including 10th in rushing yards allowed per game, despite spending most of the season missing both starting CBs, their starting NT and one of their two starting ILBs. That's pretty damned hard to overcome.

I'm assuming you meant 3 or 4 defensive players...Cause I'm gonna name 4, from the AFC that are better...JJ Watt, best player in the game....Von Miller.....top defensive edge rusher.....Justin Houston....#2 edge rusher in my eyes....Jamie Collins...best all around LB in the AFC....the guy in Carolina is better... just a lil better...but he's nfc...In fact, I wouldn't put a guy that plays on a terrible D (except Collins) in the top 10 best players.

And I purposely left off CB's & Safeties that are much better in terms of game impact.....
Watt's health is in question, but I'd put the top 3 defensive players in the NFL as Miller, Mack and Donald. I consider the top 5 overall players in the league (I leave QBs out, because they're their own class) to be Miller, Mack, Donald, Watt and Julio Jones, in whatever order you'd like.

I do think Mack is a better and more disruptive player than Kuechly, Houston and Collins (and I've seen a whole lot of Collins).